Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

November 14th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Penn Jillette and Lt. Col. Rick Francona on sex in the military; Bob McDonell on general turmoil

As the scandal surrounding the extra-marital affair of former CIA Director David Petraeus grows more involved and complex with the passing of each day, on Tuesday evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed a wide-array of well-known news makers, political leaders, and intelligence insiders, all tasked with sharing their insight on a bizarre ordeal that ultimately brought a nearly four-decade long career in public service to a shocking end.

Joining the program for a live, primetime interview, Lieutenant Colonel Rick Francona (Ret.) suggested that the sex life of the former general is generating too much conversation, admitting he'd prefer to see attention allocated elsewhere:

"I think we should be talking about a lot of other issues. As I said, you know, before, let's get the sex out of this. Let's talk about what happened in Libya," said the retired U.S. Air Force intelligence officer and veteran of two wars. "Let's talk about the FBI investigating General Petraeus, I don't really see why they even opened the case, although it turns out there was something there. Now we're investigating General Allen, he's about to be caught up in this, and I understand maybe we shouldn't be so critical of these general officers but until we change our rules, the military's not going to have much choice."

Appearing alongside Francona, magician and author Penn Jillette provided a simple explanation for the affair itself and the attention it has generated:

"I just think that human beings really like sex," proclaimed the louder half of the famed "Penn & Teller" duo. "What I'm wondering with all of this, is this all just technology? Is this all stuff that has been happening for thousands of years and it's just because we have e-mail records ... maybe this is not amazing at all. Maybe it's just the electronic paper trail."

Also as part of Tuesday's program, Piers Morgan invited Bob McDonell to offer his opinion on the "general turmoil." The Virginia Governor echoed the opinions of Francona, insisting there are other, larger issues that warrant coverage:

"I'm more concerned really at this point about the unanswered questions in Benghazi generally. Why weren't we prepared on 9/11? Why didn't we send help when it was requested? Why are we blaming this on a video when it was a coordinated attack on 9/11 and pretty much everybody knew that," said McDonell to the host. "I hope Congress is interested in getting to the heart of the matter on why we're not protecting our folks overseas when we know that they're at risk."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as politicians, performers, and military personnel alike offer their stance on Petraeus, his scandal, and the attention all of it has generated.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Clips From Last Night • The Big Story
  1. Griff.

Lawyers also have a past, and are open season to many others! When you're an Outlaw of the Law, you have no haven to hide in! "There is only one webspinner. unless there are thieves afoot!"

November 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. robertoo

John McCain should retire..he's 76 yrs,,he's a troublemaker in the senate..he's a bitter angry man..w/13 cars & 7 residences....

November 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • NB

Trouble maker is understated. McCain is being protected by the GOP this says quite a bit about the Republican does it not? What was going on between Sarah Pailin and him needs to be investagated?

November 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Griff.

"All this time wasted??? Just to get one comment to you???? And all I wanted to say.....
    "Did you watch??? It took all of eight minutes to get 'HERE', so I think I get to speak my mind
    Boy am I glad I don't live in the USA., I finally made it this far, so go Fu$% your Face!"

November 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. BlaiseCarlisle

As a magician myself ( http://www.blazemagic.com.au ), it's interesting to see Penn Jillette as a commentator.

November 27, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. John E. Arana

The problem goes beyond gun control; our moral fiber as a country is the issue. Here is my thoughts written by myself and copyrighted in lyric form. . Oh My God

They took his word out of the law,
    They said it wasn’t logical.
    They took his name and said prayer is for home,
    And if you pledge to God you must be alone.
    They said we came from apes that the word can’t be true,
    They made up our minds for me and you.
    No Christ in Christmas, no nativity at all,
    Then we look around and wonder how did we fall?

Oh my God we are dying.
    Oh my God we’ve moved away from you.
    Oh my God where’s King David?
    Help keep us alive until the coming is due.

The Devil has made his mark; he’s taken hold.
    He has skewed God’s word,
    Slandered what we’ve been told.
    There is no right or wrong,
    Killing is just a game,
    Hip hopping gangsters wanting glory and fame.
    No pride, no remorse, they’ll just take it from you,
    For God is just a word that has been removed.

Oh my God we are dying.
    Oh my God we’ve moved away from you.
    Oh my God where’s King David?
    Help keep us alive until the coming is due.

The Ten Commandments in stone are the law of the land,
    Let Freedom ring for every man, child and woman.
    Oh my God, Oh my God, we need you.

December 15, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply