Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

November 23rd, 2012

Jack Hanna on baby Siberian tigers: "They could literally put a hole through your arm"

As much of America recovers from a turkey overload, this evening Piers Morgan welcomes an entirely more exotic creature. Several of them, in fact.

In a special edition of "Piers Morgan Tonight," the studio takes on a decidedly zoo-like feel, as legendary animal expert and enthusiast Jack Hanna brings along his incomparable expertise, as well as his incomparable beasts, for an hour-long interview.

Sitting down with the host face to face, Hanna first introduces the Brit to some Siberians, in the form of a pair of 13-week old tigers:

"At what age can they kill a man?" asks Morgan.

"Well I’ll tell you about another 22 months ... because in about another 22 months, these animals weigh over 600 pounds," explains the Director Emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. "This is one of the rarest cats in the world, Piers. They are less than - some people say 400, it could be 200 left in Siberia, that part of the world. They were hunted for their coats, but the problem today is, the fact that you can imagine that animal is 600 pounds ... they could literally put a hole through your arm, right now."

Though the great beast's teeth naturally draw the bulk of attention, Hanna reveals to Morgan that the tiger has other, equally dangerous weapons in its mouth alone:

"That tongue, by the way: you see how he's licking me? ... If that were a full-grown tiger Piers, in less than 10 minutes, he can lick me and just lick my arm to the bone. That’s how rough that tongue becomes," he explains. "Like sand paper beyond [what] you’ve ever seen."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, and see exactly how Hanna answers Morgan's loaded question, "Jack, am I going to die here?"
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. karen benson

Please let Jack Hanna talk. Don't "humanize" the animals or try to be funny. I wanted to know about the sensory area on the side of the alligator's head. You wouldn't stop making stupid comments long enough for Jack Hanna to finish. Not good.

November 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • youngbchat

I agree. There were several things that I wanted to hear about; and it never failed, as soon as Mr. Hanna started actually talking about something interesting and unique about a particular animal or bird, he would interrupt saying something, that I guess he thought would be funny? This has dropped my esteem of Piers Morgan to a low.

November 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Steven Greenleaf

I am glad I am not alone in being appalled by Piers Morgan's pathetic behaviour tonight. Constant whining and grovelling in feigned fear does nothing for the story, the content, or the important messages about wildlife conservation which could have gone out to a broad audience if he had not acted like a simpering seven year old. Perhaps he thought he was being humorous, but all he did was make himself look like a coward and a fool.

November 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Carr

I agree. Piers cannot shut up! I guess he needs to be talking or trying to be funny. I was wanting to hear some of the things Jack was trying to say....especially about the anaconda snake and what you should do if ever bitten by one. Piers blurts out stupid talk and ends up changing the subject and we don't get to hear what Jack is trying to say. Piers just turned me off. I'll return the favor next time I come across him.

November 24, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • notsuprised

That was Piers as per usual. Have you never watched him "interview" someone before? He asks a question, the guest begins to speak, Piers goes into interrupt mode and no one ever really knows what the guest was trying to say.

Morgan is a lousy inerviewer, has no journalism skills and is therefore the perfect representative of todays 'journalist.'

November 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jwb

Piers is a whimp He wont touch any of the animals . Scared of a mouse I suspect

November 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. youngbchat

Piers Morgan on the animals: 1 Jack Hanna and the animals: 100
    Piers, shut up and stop sounding so stupid. I never thought you were so immature. "is he going to eat me?" was your constant refrain. Grow up and let Mr. Hanna actually teach us about these unbelievably spectacular animals. I want to hear HIM, not you "he'll bite me" "oh I'm scared" OMG I will never respect you again.

November 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. nsms610

Concur with Karen...please let Jack speak. I wanted to know more about the animals and less about if they're going to eat Jack's hand.

November 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mopete

Jack Hanna needed to be interrupted. He was incorrect with his facts multiple times had to ask the animal handlers many questions. Very unprepared Mr. Hanna.

November 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. A. Ruta

Except for your constant interruptions of Jack Hanna I was thoroughly enjoying watching the various animals and learning about them. Then you uttered your blasphemous use of the name of Jesus just as, interestingly, the serpent got a little too close to you. Surely to heavens there are sufficient expletives from which to choose that could be used instead of using the name of the one who is worshipped by millions of people in such a manner.

November 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Wado

It was very interesting to see these amazing animals. The constant interruptions by Piers was very annoying. I don't watch this show very often but Is he this way with all his guests? I guess the show's producers think that he's not doing his job unless he constantly interrupts with stupid comments. Of course this same annoying thing happens with most of these interview type programs.

November 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mark

Come on Piers! Give one of them cute critters a hug!

November 24, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Taylor

Pretty enjoyable show for once. Why do you keep backing up? Stop being a wuss.

November 24, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Liza

I agree! Piers Morgan couldn't be more of a "ninny"!! His visible fear and apparent disdain for just about every animal on the show was absurd. The constant interruptions of Mr. Hanna were so irritating. Bravo to Mr. Hanna for trying to stay focused on what he was saying (or attempting to say). Time to face your fears and phobias of these incredibly beautiful creatures Mr. Morgan.

November 24, 2012 at 4:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ashas

I would have loved to learn more about these extraordinary animals but Peirs Morgan always interrupts everyone. he is No Larry King.

November 24, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

No, he is not Larry King and you are not queen of Spain.
      Piers Morgan is fantastic, younger and better looking.

November 24, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • unamused

wow, nana, you're expectations are soooooooo low.

November 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary Jo Chapman

Piers, if you're going to have guests on your show, please allow them to finish a sentence. Otherwise just do the show by yourself. You were very unprofessional and rude in your interview with Jack Hanna. There were many things your viewers would like to have heard but didn't because of your interruptions.

November 24, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Carolyn

Piers, You are the only whe had Jack and his animals on for over 15 min. and didn't act like you were scared and made a big deal if they jumped on your desk or shoulders. I think you really were sincere about wanting to learn about each of them. I think you and Jack would make a good team working with each other on your own show, you are sincere about learining about every species, They all have something to teach us.

November 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jan T-C

With all types of humans, Piers is incredibly relaxed and engaged. Put him around all those wonderful animals with Jack Hanna, and his body language was high-volume stress. I thought I would fall on the floor laughing when the huge snake came up on Piers' left arm. The J-C word (not very audible, though) was such a riot. I probably would have jumped out of the chair! Good job, Piers, but stick to humans. You do a great job.

November 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Aimee

Their tongue does not become so rough that it can lick you to the bone in 10 minutes. I have had a full grown tiger I work with lick my arm for a few minutes and while uncomfortable it does nothing more than turn your arm red like an old fashioned rug burn. (Working with them can be difficult between yrs 1.5 and six, then they mellow nicely)

November 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. livia egri

Dear Mr. Morgan, I just don't understand how coudl you resist tnot to touch or give a hug some of the animals in the show?!!!!The baby big cats for example! Mr Hanna wanted to say many interesting things about the animals but you did not let him do it. Please, do another show with Mr Hanna and be more "animal-friendly"!

November 24, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Bo

The feedback on Piers is almost 100 % negative . How do they keep this idiot on the air ?
    To quote Piers from last night " I have never wanted to see the end of a show so much as this one . "

November 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dee

I don't watch Piers Morgan daily and never comment on this blog until today, however I definitely try to catch 1-2 interviews weekly just to see what he asks/does...and I just can't anymore. After watching this episode with my family - I was actually frustrated as a viewer at how unprofessional he was! And how sad of an 'interviewing job' he apparently did - my 70 year old parents were complaining about this - we've become fed up. To be far, I've watched his show since he began so I feel as though my judgements are sincere.

He is not good in this kind of work, perhaps somewhere else on TV/in the entertainment world, but TV host for CNN (??) – a major international news station – is just not his thing AT ALL - especially when he's talking to people from all over the world. This guy, unfortunately, somehow makes you want to TURN OFF the TV.

PLEASE CNN – HIRE A NEW HOST !! ! Piers – I'm sure you're great, but this ain't your cup of tea lad! Seriously, SAVE this network WITHOUT Piers!

November 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. kris

I am a huge fan of CNN, have been for years, however, Morgan is a terrible host! He never lets his guests finish a sentence. He spends way too much time telling us how he feels, over & over. The show with Jack Hanna could have been great if Morgan would have acted like an adult and let his guest talk. I thought I might lose it if Morgan had said one more time "is it going to eat me?" Jack Hanna is great, very entertaining and educational.

Also please stop asking..."how many time have you been properly in love?" If Morgan can't get it together...replace him...or I will replace CNN at 9:00.

November 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Roza

Any time any one stays in the middle like Piers Morgan has regarding the Middle East conflicts the CPG will not hear of it and have Piers Morgan thrown out of CNN just like they did with Rick Sanchez.
    Be careful Mr Morgan you will be the next Rick Sanchez.

November 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Rick

Piers you are just awfull you should go far away.

November 26, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply