Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

November 28th, 2012

Tonight: Money matters, and more

As America braces for Wednesday's record 550-million dollar Powerball drawing, this evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes a collection of guests all charged with helping the dollars make sense.

One of the country's foremost experts on debt, author Dave Ramsey returns to the program, joining Piers Morgan live from his studio in Nashville, TN. The host of the syndicated radio program "The Dave Ramsey Show," the 52-year-old is also a four-time "New York Times" best-selling author, whose previous visits to the show have seen him touch on everything from the volatile markets and 2011's 2.4 trillion dollar debt deal.

Wednesday's financially-themed show will also bring viewers an interview with Tavis Smiley. A television personality and author, Smiley is urging President Obama to prioritize the "eradication of poverty in America," while his latest book with Cornel West is entitled "The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto." Tonight marks an encore performance for Smiley, who in the past has teamed with West to weigh in on the Trayvon Martin shooting and the anti-Obama sentiments of rocker Ted Nugent.

Meanwhile, with the pending "Fiscal Cliff" roughly a month away, Emil Henry and Steve Rattner will appear together, engaging in what figures to be a spirited debate. Personal friends who see the issue from different perspectives, Henry and Rattner have rich financial backgrounds, and vast economic backgrounds, which suggest a feisty exchange.

Tune in this evening at 9, as Piers Morgan covers the economic state of America, hitting issues of all types, from Powerball to poverty.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Fireant

Sorry, but smells like another rollover tonight.

November 28, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Frank Yuen

What about holding a $500M jobs creation lottery?

November 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Fred

Dave Ramsy said the rich don't play the lottery. I'll go out on a limb here with my guess here but it's because they already have money and are rich. If I invest the $10.00 I spend on lottery tickets three or four times a year how much wealth would I end up with over 10 years? I don't think that's changing anyone's lifestyle

November 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Frank Yuen

The "Fiscal cliff" is a geological and political misnomer. I believe that "Fiscal Bluff" would be more correct.

November 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tricia

David Ramsey is telling people to "grow up and stop buying lottery tickets," but since he wants to eliminate the lottery to protect fools from themselves, I think what he really means is "you needn't bother growing up, we will outlaw your foolish choices to protect you from yourself."

November 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Eva

First, I disagree that lottery is "predatory". That implies there are victims (prey). Yes, they may market it to a specific audience, but they aren't telling people to "invest your whole paycheck" in winning the lottery. THAT would be predatory.

Second, Dave Ramsey may be considered a small business owner *techinaclly*, but with 350 employees and revenues in the millions, he is far beyond the national definition of "average" small business. I too am a small business owner (with 5 or fewer employees), and the tax structure this last yeat actually *helped* me to hire more people. With 350 employees you should be among those paying a higher rate–because your higher wealth is resulting from the labor of all those people!

November 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mlopezartz

My parents are hard workers, my mother is a USPS Post Master and my father is a school bus driver, they have been excited about the idea of playing the Lotto this weekend. Lotto players have the same hope as a person who plays the stock market... which they do as well... and have lost thousand that they can't afford. It is the American dream to work hard and pray for luck. In fact, that is how many of the most important men in America built this country. No one really believes they will win. They play for fun and hope the get lucky. It's okay for hard earned money to be taken on a chance for business to spend but it's not okay to be taken on a chance for yourself? It's fun to imagine. I think the comment, that the people who play are "Dayrll and Dayrll," is a racist assumption. "Poor" people or hardworking folks are not the only people who gamble. Dave Ramsey sits on his high education and his "small business," looking down up the silly gamblers. I had a small business and I learned quickly that you can't bet on business when you are not lucky enough to have stumbled upon a gambling investor or two. I don't play the Lotto but I'm completely offended by Ramsey's obnoxious generalizations.

November 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cathe

What is the Truth about the Lottery Money that is 'given' to the school? Years ago when I drove a school bus for EGUSD in California. The new school year started. I was in the Elementary School Office and asked the School Secretary about the money they got from the Lottery. She told me that the $10,000.00 that was given from the Lottery was 'mute'. The amount a school would receive, would be deducted from the funds that the State of California gave them. So, nothing was gained. Some remarks were made tonight that were not very nice..."Daryl & Daryl!

November 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jaker, Dublin

Dave Ramsey said, if the President put up the tax take on the rich, he wouldn't be able to employ more people. Well, is he employing more people at the moment, seeing he has not yet been asked for this rise? I wouldn't?shouldn't think so.

See...his argument is already blemished!

November 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sac longchamp pliage pas cher

M. de Buckingham… Il me plaisait fort. sac longchamp pliage pas cher http://www.elmundolatino.fr/index-saclongchamppascher.htm

August 30, 2013 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply