Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 10th, 2012

Bob Costas on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" appearance: "I think it pretty much fills the whole spectrum out, and I'm done now"

Coming up this evening at 9, "Piers Morgan Tonight" invites Bob Costas to share his trademark insight and expert commentary on some of the recent tragedies that have moved the NFL from the sports page to the front page.

Following his face to face conversation with Piers Morgan, Costas shared some time with digital producer Jason Kurtz in a web-exclusive, behind-the-scenes "Green Room Interview."

With nearly 20 Emmy Awards to his credit, the eight-time National Sportscaster of the Year compared his appearance on "Piers Morgan Tonight" to the rest of his body of work:

"I think it pretty much fills the whole spectrum out, and I'm done now, this is my valedictory," jokes Costas. "There's nowhere to go from here. I've peaked, and I'm done."

Watch the above clip to hear why Costas felt his recent halftime commentary on gun control was pertinent, then tune in at 9 p.m. as the legendary broadcaster explains what he views as a "gun culture" within the NFL.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Filed under: Green Room
  1. James Wisocki

Hey bob why no word about drunk driving & fast cars ? oh but if its a gun oh my . Then its bad ban all guns . wheres the fairness , Thank you ,James Wisocki

December 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Charlie F

Sir. While watching CNN this evening, you had a disscussion with Wolf Blitzer about "Gun Control" issues within the NFL.
    While I am quite sure you are a very educated gentelman, your description of an "assault rifle" was very uneducated, misleading and and absurd. Why do educated people and the politician make such statements all the while knowing it is wrong. Please sir, state that an assault weapon in no more than a semi-automatic weapon? Assault weapons, as you call it, that the general public have are "NOT" the same weapon the military or law enforcement uses. A high powered AK-47, as you stated, is still a semi-automatic in .223 or 308 caliber. Not very "High Caliber" as you stated. These weapons resemble the military version, but it stops there. One trigger pull, one round discharged, not "Full Auto". I think it is critical and imperative that people in your position and notoriety must spell out the differences correctly to truely bring the firearm issue to reality. The gun violence and gun controll advocates thrive off from uneducated comments as that. Firearms freed this country, and will protect and keep it that way. Falsely describing weapons astetics, purpose and use can not equal the phrase; "People kill people, not the firearm". The criminal will never abide by laws and would over take the government, law enforcement and people. Please, make a more educated statement about firearms than what the politician and gun controll people would like to say and hear. Thank-you.

December 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. LEE HARVEY SMITH

Bob, You're an idiot. If we are not like you , you are not pleased. You want the world viewed by Bob , not Bob , hey look at the world. You have a soap box , good for you. Well, got to run, and go take a Bob Costas formally known as a number II.

December 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jan

An NFL player was killed this week in a drunk driving incident.
    Should we ban cars? How about banning alcohol?

Nicole Simpson was killed with a knife. Do we need to register that kind of "deadly weapon" now?

December 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jan

The gun is not at fault, it's the idiot's who pull the trigger for nepharious reasons.
    If you ban guns, only the criminals will have guns.

December 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Julian

Thank you Bob Costas and Piers Morgan! That was the most sensible conversation about our gun-obsessed culture that I've heard on a major cable or network channel. It was a breath of fresh air. You have broken free of the fear and intimidation that has kept this subject bottled up for much too long. The majority of the American public must be relieved to be free of the shibboleths and dead-end arguments and encouraged to hear you think out from a humane and common-sense point of view about a crisis of gun-induced violence that very few have the courage to talk about.

December 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Roger Adams

You're a liar both in fact and omission. If the interviewer had challenged you, you would have had to back down on some of your talking point raves such you can go on line and buy weapons. I really would like to see you do that. In any case, I won't watch you anymore and if people who agree with me would turn you off, it wouldn't be long before you would need to find another job. I think you would do well workong for Sports Academy as a clerk.

December 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ernie Wright

Mr. Morgan, I don't get it...I'm totally bewildered about your fixation that guns are the reason people get killed. I'm an American living in the United States, and I own shotguns, rifles, handguns; and have since I've been a teen! Because I live in the United States, I can carry any of those guns on me or with me as long as they are not in public. I choose to use my guns for hunting purposes, but if needed I would use them in self defense. I choose not to walk around in public with a gun in my hand or over my shoulder because I see no need in it! But if I wanted to do so, I can! Now, you should realize that all gun owners can do the same here in the U.S.. We, the majority of reasonable people as citizens and owners of guns use good judgement every day when it comes to firearms.

December 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ernie Wright

I meant to say, "as long as they are not concealed in public"!

December 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ernie Wright

Mr. Morgan, that's the Law, and in a Democracy, the majority rules. Your guest, who you labeled an "expert" was saying some rather illogical statements about guns and our laws in regards to them. Costas, stick to football or baseball, or golf; you are no expert on gun ownership. The only reason people dislike seeing guns in other peoples hands is because they don't trust people. You can trust a gun, it will never shoot you or any of your friends, NEVER!

December 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ernie Wright

Bob, originally we had to use guns to gain our freedom from England. We have our freedom now and the English still want to take our guns! I'm telling ya Bob, you have a fixation on guns. What is your real problem?

December 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Modernmann

Talk about our insane gun culture and the nut jobs come out blazing... Bob Costas is 100% right on...and its time the politicains show some spine and do something about this....

December 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. carl e.

what is going on here. i am an american citien , born in america and raised in america with a wonderful mother and dad. i grew up with guns and have shot almost every gun available. not one of those guns fired itself without someone pulling the trigger. i have hunted, shot about all types of shooting games available and not yet had an accident, not one that was the guns fault. this is the most wonderful nation in the whole world bar none. we are free because of god, guns, and guts. i think we will keep all three. if you dont like our country get the hell out. guns dont kill people, people kill people. we need more schooling for people like you.i am 65 years old and have been a policeman and a mechanic and have yet shot anyone. if you think that we are going to giveup our guns, try to take them and you will see. un educated people try to hurt all of us that have guns. why do you think that we have not been overtaken as a country. everyone knows that we are armer and will protect our country if needed. thanks mostly to all of our fine military personel for keeping us safe.

December 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Theresa

Why hasn't Costas come out against cars? If people didn't own cars this tragic car accident wouldn't have happened. I am not address the mindset of the driver or what he was thinking when he drank and drove, but then neither did Costas when he came out against guns.

December 11, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Brad

Bob Costas is showing his ignmorance, only ffl dealers can sell firearms online and then its only shipped to a licensed firearms dealer by federal law and who is required by law to do the instant background check on person getting that gun

December 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brad

oops typo on the word Ignorance

December 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Matt Sewell

Bob, your POV doesn't matter. We tune in to watch football, not listen to Bob's views.

December 13, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply