Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 13th, 2012

Barbra Streisand on Republicans, Obama and Hillary Clinton

Coming up soon, Piers Morgan sits down for a face to face discussion with one of the most-decorated and respected women in the history of Hollywood and the arts, Barbra Streisand. Joining "Piers Morgan Tonight" for an hour-long primetime interview, the 70-year-old icon, and staunch Democrat, reveals that romance and politics aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

"Have you ever been in love with a Republican?" asks the host.

"Never," Streisand responds.

"Could you ever be?," follows Morgan.

"No," she insists. "Well, I mean unless there was an enormous sexual chemistry and, you know, and I had to - we never talked about politics, maybe. But I can't quite imagine it, no."

A supporter of gay rights, and a woman who's on the record as always having identified with minorities, on Friday the star of 1964's Broadway hit "Funny Girl" opens up about President Barack Obama and the aspects of his platform that have made her most proud:

"His stance for women. Women, the power of women, or not allowing - just for that one reason. You know, in my show I would say, well, I'm not going to tell you ... who to vote for, but if you want clean air, you want, you know, good food and so forth, and if you believe that a woman has a right to choose what happens in her own body - in other words, or you think that your body belongs to the state. There's a clear choice."

Noting that America is "one of the last countries to ever think of having a woman be president," Streisand does think that electing a female commander in chief is now a possibility, and openly entertains the idea of the Secretary of State switching offices:

"I don't know, but I hope after a four-year rest that she would run," she says of Hillary Clinton. "Because she would be a great woman president."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in as Streisand offers her candid reaction to the comments made by Missouri Congressman Todd Akin and Indiana State Treasurer Richard Mourdock regarding rape and pregnancy.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
>; Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Griff.

"Susan Rice is puddled, and shouldn't be in politics at all."

December 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Griff.

"This Lady, Barbara. I would just love to sing a duet with. Maybe 'All I ask of you' from Phantom."

December 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. jmaiolo

The state is in charge of your body. Obamacare you dummy. She will never have to worry about healthcare. The rest of us will. What a twit.

December 14, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Can you cite an objective, reality-based provision of Obamacare that put the government in charge of our bodies? Your parents are the dummies because they did not put you in a good enough school.

December 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Larry in Houston

Piers makes Larry King look like an amatuer – Piers asks the tough questions – hope cnn pays him well, he gets a lot of ppls approval – and , I don't blame Barbara for voting Dem – I've never voted for a Rep in my life. They contradict theirselves, constantly. They want people to believe that they don't want to interfere, and always wants to leave everything up to the "states" – but in reality, the conservatives want to cut away the freedoms that this country has worked for, for years, and they want to have laws that restrict people, namely the women in this country. Now, I believe in smaller government, but you can only squeeze a lemon so much, then there's nothing left to squeeze, to get anything out of it. As far as health care goes, we are the only fully developed / modernized / civilized country to FINALLY have Health Care, the way it should have been for years. On top of that, other countries such as great britian / germany & others, had women in their highest office in their country, except the U.S. – I think Hillary should wait til the very last minute, before she throws her hat into the ring, and she should make sure she has the support of people like warren buffett, who can end up contributing at least 1.5 or 2 Billion, for her campaign, because I suspect the the republicans will end up going all out, in 2016 – In other words, IF I was Hillary, If I didn't have at least somewhere around 2 Billion to run, I wouldn't bother. This country really needs somebody who can actually get us out of debt, and possibly get us to a surplus, with the history that her husband had. Otherwise, we're sunk .

December 14, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Anne

His stance for women? give me a break. He trashed Hillary Clinton in 2008.

December 14, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Evangenital

@Anne – She also trashed him; it was a primary. I was all for Hillary.

December 14, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mike

She is still alive?! I thought she died years ago. Thank God she is not in a position of influence!

December 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • realangst

Hello, Mike – I actually think that Ms. Streisand has more political influence than she had while she was busy with her career. But she is being a lot more public in her latter years which gives her a chance to get involved with the Clinton Global Initiative which is doing wonderful things that not only benefit America but the world at large. You should take a yoga class or anger management.

December 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Steve

Lovely, another entertainer who says that disemembering a human fetus is a "choice".

Yet she and Piers seems to have no clue why anyone would object to that. They are as blinkered as Akin. Pot, call teh the kettle.

December 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CJ

Lovely, another man leaving a comment on a topic he has no idea about. You can't begin to comprehend what this would be like for a woman because it is not your body and never will be. Maybe I should start doling out comments on ignorant men who should not be allowed to reproduce.

January 7, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ERIC

when will this air now that it's rightfully pre-empted by CT shoothing coverage?

December 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • realangst

That's why I came to the page today, Eric. I can't find any information on when this will be aired. It would be a shame if they shelved it.

December 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fan

It says it'll air "soon," and I expect it will since The Guilt Trip opens on Friday.

December 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. John

We know Piers. Your a liberal and you hate Republicans. Move on. Change the channel.

December 18, 2012 at 3:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lori

Honestly, Barbara and the rest of the entertainers still don't get what's happening to this country. We our smarter than this! And who gives a F- about Piers Morgan. We have bigger things to take care of. By the way what does Barbara think of Obama's stand on Israel ? He doesn't care about them. Aren't those Barbara's people?

December 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Joe

Piers.. What a joke. Send this guy back to his island if they'll take him.

December 19, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. judy

Listening to Ms Streisand showed me she is not very articulate after all. Someone must write her blog for her...I was astounded. Only Democrats understand Climate Change? Are you serious? I love how she knows what every Repub thinks....and there are Dems who have questions about Climate Change.... And the statement about the "state owning your body" is ridiculous.

December 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Susan

Another big mouthed money bag supporting liars!

December 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply