Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 13th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Response to the Oregon Mall Shooting

In the aftermath of another fatal shooting, this time inside the Clackamas Town Center Mall in Happy Valley, Oregon, "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed Faye Aleshire, a childhood friend of the gunman Jacob Tyler Roberts.

"I didn't believe Jake was capable of such a thing," said Aleshire. "We all knew him as a kind person. He was generous, he was the guy - if you were having a bad day he could make you laugh no matter what."

"Jake was the last person on my mind that I could have ever thought who would do something like this."

Sandy Phillips, the mother of Jessica Ghawi - a victim of the Aurora shooting, and her husband Lonnie also spoke to Piers Morgan on Wednesday and shared their thoughts on guns in America in light of this most recent incident.

"It's a horrible state of affairs we're in in America right now and it really needs to be addressed," Sandy said. "I too believe in the Second Amendment, I too am a gun owner and so is my husband and to not address these issues is ludicrous."

Lonnie chimed in, "We are guns owners and we believe in the Second Amendment but we believe that there needs to be a dialogue, our country needs to talk about some type of gun control."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as Piers Morgan and his guests continue their discussion on what may have lead to Roberts' devastating actions.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
>; Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Clips From Last Night • The Big Story
  1. BEN DAVIS

last night Piers kept shouting at guest regarding his incorrect statement that we need to stop people from having access to weapons that fire thousands of rounds a minute.
    the AR15, with a five found clip is a semi automatic weapon and not a machine gun. But his mouth was in auto drive and not listening to the guest. Learn facts first Mr. Morgan. Secondly sure, crazy peoople should not have access to guns but some recent criminal shootings have apparently been committed by individuals whose profile may not have revaled mental illness issues to prevent their purchase of a weapon. And the man in Oregon did not have his own weapon. It was stolen by him.

December 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mary

the guest was RUDE. Had I been the host, I would have deleted him from the screen. Piers is on the right track. No citizen should have access to semi-automatic weapon. And there should be strong restrictions and checks in order to
      purchase a gun. And ammunition (endless supply) should not be available on internet.

December 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. carey

to everyone who says why do people need assault rifles you need to look at wikipedia and see what that is its a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) the "ar15s" and "ak 47s" that are legal to buy are not fully auto or select fire they are semi auto just like every other gun they just look like assualt rifles and last i checked the 2nd Amendment doesnt say you can only have guns you need its a right to have guns and you can buy fully automatics if youy get a class 3 license and even a tank

December 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. carey

why do we need a english man to tell us our rights as americans we dont

December 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Agreed. It would be nice if the brit would leave. It clearly doesn't like it here so maybe it will leave. Bottom line it is not an American so it really ought to leave.

December 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dr. Carl Mashike

Dear Mr. Morgan
    I watch your show with great interest. The main reason is that you act with more dignity and politeness as I would expect from an English gentleman. Until the subject of guns arises at which time you become very rude to your guests who have a different view. Your personality as an English gentleman is much preferred to that of a bloody Englishman.
    To the point. Let us say you get your wish, that all semi automatic assault type rifles with multiple capacity magazines are banned. Let us go farther and confiscate all such weapons. Now there are no such guns to be had.
    If I am a deranged person (which obversely those who perpetrate these types of shootings must be) taking my ability to secure an assault rifle does not quench my desire to kill. It only causes me to look elsewhere. Do I now go to a conventional wood stocked semi auto. the kind used for hunting? There magazines hold 4 or 5 rounds. Does that mean killing 4 or 5 is o.k. (negating the fact that I can quickly pop the empty magazine out and replace it with a full one), I think not.
    Now what, get rid of all semi autos. Or shotguns with buckshot, I can kill several with one shot into a crowd. Do you see Mr. Morgan the answer is not more restrictions or confiscations or laws. The answer is universal to all crime. We need better people not better laws.What examples are we setting for our children? Dignity, honor, virtue and self respect are seldom mentioned at home. A better world is achieved Mr.Morgan by correcting the cause not the symptom. A gun is a symptom of it's user not it's cause. Thank you.

December 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bsawyer

We can have a national converstion about gun violence, but we need to include Hollywood, Television, and Gaming since they have put graphic violence into every home across the country and have there own portrayal of how guns should be handled.
    The NRA contiinues to get the blame for gun violence even though they spend lsrge amounts of time and money to educate people how to be responsible gun owners.
    Lets take a look at who is glorifying gun violence.

December 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. donald stark

Agree totally with your opinion on the gun craziness in the u.s. Also feel that most "more gun "lobbyists are morons. However- you must let your guests speak, even if it is nonsense. When you shout over them and say'QUIT TALKING, THIS IS MY SHOW" i feel like i am watching Nancy Grace. (heaven forbid) Let them speak, and hang themselves with their own stupid comments. thank you .

December 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mike

Piers, why don't you mind your own business? You're not even an American you're a simple brit. That being said, if you have an issue that you cannot resolve leave, please leave my country. You're not welcome. All you do is stir the pot. You will achieve nothing but a temporary sense of well being for the uninformed population.
    In short leave, get out of my country. Pity you weren't in the mall.

December 13, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bill Turnbull

Not only do you have bad information on AR15 Semi Automatic, you also appear to have bad information on the number of Grocery Stores in the United States. According to Manta.com there are 255,299 such stores and I doubt that the have all of the. Get your information right or get off the air and go back to the UK.
    http://www.manta.com/mb_34_B619B_000/grocery_stores – Similarto Grocery Stores in the United States
    With 255299 Grocery Stores on Manta, finding one couldn't be any easier. Search or browse by state and city to find a Grocery Store.

December 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ken

I watched the program and am dumbfound about the gun mentality in America. The lady panelist made reference comparing an accident such as choking on a hot dog to kids accidentally shooting off a gun and killing themselves or someone else. A gun serves one purpose which is to kill. I cannot understand how so called Christians can make statements like citizens should have the right to have a gun in case someone breaks into there house. If Jesus was in this situation, I just don't think he was the type to shoot the intruder. The situation with guns in America has become lIke a giant snowball and is out of control. Most of the civilized western world lives in societies where guns are very difficult to come buy with exception of the USA and it just so happens that the murder rate from use of guns is so much higher per capita. Maybe other countries need to eat more hot dogs.

December 14, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. J Burns

Mr. Morgan,
    I saw your Wednesday night episode in its entirey. I am a gun owner and believe in prudent restrictions to gun ownership. I believe I can better answer your question concerning why I should be able to own an AR-15 variant than could Mr. Gottlieb. The reason, and frankly the only reason, that I might feel compelled to purchase such a weapon is because I view others' ownership of such weapons a threat to my person and property. Were such weapons not so widely available to others, I doubt I would consider procuring one.

December 14, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jocelyne Tufts

As I watch in horror the coverage on the Sandy Hook Ct. I can only wish that you, Piers Morgan,will continue to have the courage to continue your fight against the violent mentality that exists in this country and against the powerful NRA which in their enormous greed has already claimed so many innocent victims.
    How many more must die before we act as a civilized nation?

December 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. marina papaconstantinou

I want to add my voice to the loud screams of those who are horrified at the availability of firearms in America, as you, Piers Morgan, always refer to the USA. Other than the profound grief I am suffering at the moment, I wish to add my encouragement, Piers, that you relentlessly retain your stand in challenging those who still believe that bearing arms (ANY arms) is just fine and 'covered/justified' under the 2nd Amendment.Thank you for your candid and deeply humanitarian stance on this matter and many others that you choose to present every evening.

December 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Luke

Piers –
    I'm sure tonights program will most certainly focus on the tragic events now unfolding in Connecticut.
    This has gone on long enough. You have done an EXCELLENT job on your program speaking out against gun violence in the US. I agree with you, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason whatsoever for ANY civilian to own an assault rifle similar to the AR-15, AK-47 or any other of the numerous semi-auto assault rifles that are unfortunately legal in this country. It is the bain of our existence as a so called peaceful and civilized nation. Because there is nothing whatsoever civilized about assault weapons. They should be for military or law enforcement ONLY.
    The aforementioned weapons are only meant for one thing – killing people, and more importantly – killing them QUICKLY. But it does not stop there because as you can see from what has happened today in Connecticut – semi-auto HANDGUNS are just as lethal if not morso. They can be more easily concealed and they are ALSO capable of discharging tremendous amounts of rounds very quickly. Again, this is for one purpose and one purpose alone, to kill people quickly.

So, I have an answer for you that will solve this problem. Ban all semi-auto handguns such as Glocks as well as all semi-auto rifles. There is no reason why any civilian should own them. And to appease the NRA and gun owners nationwide – make the ONLY handguns they can legally own six shot revolvers. Sure they are still lethal, but the ability to rapidly discharge 15-20 rounds at a time is greatly reduced and so will be the loss of life. And for those whose passion is target shooting who demand semi-auto hanguns, let them have them, but limit the caliber to .22. They are putting holes in paper, so why do they need to make a bigger hole in a paper target?

As for long barrel semi-auto assault rifles…they need not exist in or society. Again, the only reason they should exist is for hunting. So, allow hunters and other gun enthusiasts to only own single shot bolt action long barrel rifles. Or, similar weapons of any caliber that have a maximum of three rounds. And the same laws should exist for shotguns. Do you realize that a Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical .12 shotgun fully loaded with 000 buckshot can put as much lead on target in virtually the same amount of time as the same weapons that our special forces use such as the H&K MP5 ????????? And this shotgun can be purchased by just about anyone. As I said before, I am an avid hunter. I enjoy hunting quail. Did you know that when I hunt quail with a semi-auto shotgun, I have to use what is called a “limiter plug” that limits the total rounds I can load into the weapon at three. If I am caught by fish and game with more than three rounds in my weapon I’m issued a ticket. So am I to understand that the quail in our country are better protected by the government than humans?????? I mean this is absolutely ABSURD!!!!!! Why do civilians need guns that are capable of carrying so many rounds ???

We are never going to be able to stop criminals and the deranged from owning guns. To do that, we would have to ban all guns. And as a gun owner, that is not what I want. However, I do feel that if the above suggestion were implemented by the federal government, we would greatly reduce the number of people who are killed every year in single acts of violence like we saw in Connecticut today. And lastly, if you really want to put a dent in the amount of people killed each year – raise the price of ammunition. Maybe a 9mm round in 2013 should cost as much as the total number of people killed by gun violence in 2012 ;) I think you get my point but perhaps we should raise the price of ammunition to levels that would make it financially difficult for criminals to purchase large amounts.

I hope this letter finds you, and finds you well. Because what I have outlined here today would make a huge difference. And anyone who opposes it is only interested in one thing – seeing more people killed by guns.

All the Very Best,

Luke Hartzog

December 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Michael

Google the name: Nick Meli and Clackamas Mall

December 16, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. B.Meyer

I wonder how many of the residents of Newtown own assault weapons both those who have lost a child and those who have not. Do they plan to continue to own these weapons ? Do they advocate banning them ?

December 17, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. shawn

Piers, Appreciate your latest episodes concerning gun control. Would like to see some more in depth coverage about the Clackamas Mall shooting. Supposedly a citizen (Nick Meli) with concealed weapon permit confronted the shooter and may have saved more lives. This one incident makes the case for both the right to bear arms for protection and against the sale of large magazine assault type weapons. Would be an interesting show and could help drive a national conversation that might actually get us somewhere. Thanks.

December 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Zack Morad

i really love playing golf because it is really a nice game.*

My favorite blog site