READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
In the aftermath of Friday's shocking school shooting in Newton, Conn., on Sunday "Piers Morgan Tonight" hosted a special live edition of the program, welcoming a series of guests tasked with adding insight and perspective to a tragedy that left 26 people dead.
With 20 children, ages 6 and 7, murdered inside their Sandy Hook Elementary School, Steve Dulan and Dan Gross engaged in a thoughtful debate about measures to be taken in hopes of curbing gun violence:
"Our group is a single issue, non-partisan group. We have Democrats, Republicans, and Independents on our board and in our membership, and most of them are elected officials," said Dulan, the Attorney for the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners. "We've got the National Instant Criminal Background Check in place."
"Right, but that only applies to 60 percent of gun sales," clarified Gross, the president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Do you agree with covering the other 40 percent of gun sales with background checks?"
"It's literally impossible," claimed Dulan. "We have a lot of guns in circulation on Earth and in the United States. We know that guns pass across borders ... national and state borders."
Noting that the three most-recent mass shooting incidents have all featured a variation of the same firearm – "an AR-15 rifle, aided and abetted by high-capacity magazines" – Piers Morgan asked Dulan why he approved of such guns being sold in mainstream stores. FULL POST
On the heels of Friday's unthinkable tragedy in Newton, Conn., "Piers Morgan Tonight" aired a live edition of the program, dedicating the entire hour to providing perspective and adding context into a school shooting that resulted in 28 deaths.
With 20 children, ages 6 and 7, perishing inside Sandy Hook Elementary, Mark Boughton spoke about the brave principal who died trying to protect them:
"I had the honor of working in the same school system and very close proximity to Dawn [Hochsprung] who passed away today. She was a teacher in the Danbury public school system and then elevated up through the ranks and eventually ended up the principal here in Newtown," said the mayor of nearby Danbury, Conn. "A committed, hardworking, dedicated educator. Somebody who cared deeply about kids, and she put kids first in every facet and every way in which she executed her job and somebody who we just would all admire, and all while working with our children, as a professional."
Just a few months removed from other gun-related incidents – in Aurora, Colo. and at the Empire State Building in Manhattan – on Friday, Piers Morgan welcomed a pair of guests tasked with providing insight drawn from their own personal experiences: FULL POST
On Friday evening, in the tragic wake of the Connecticut Elementary School Shooting, Piers Morgan dedicated the evening's program to the subject of gun control. Joining Morgan on the program was John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," New York Congressman Jerrold Nadler president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence Dan Gross, and Steve Dulan, attorney for the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners.
The night's discussion reached a boiling point when Morgan exclaimed, "It's a load of total hog wash," in response to the argument that the best preventative measure to gun violence is to have more individuals carrying firearms.
"He didn't go to the movie theater with the largest screen," argued Lott and referring to the shooting in Aurora, Colorado a few months earlier. "He went to the one movie theater that banned guns."
To which a strongly disagreeing Morgan responded, "More people would have been killed in the mayhem that erupted."
Also on Friday, Morgan spoke to Alex Israel, a former classmate of the shooter. Israel expressed her shock over the realization that her childhood friend was the perpetrator. "I don't know if you can ever predict something like that would happen," she said. "You never think it's going to happen to your school, somewhere you live and you've your whole life. But I don't know if I could predict it." FULL POST
This Wednesday, "Piers Morgan Tonight" will have a special live town hall show addressing the tragedy in Newtown, Conn.
If you are in the New York City area and are available from 6-10 p.m. ET Wednesday, December 19, we'd love for you to join us as we try to help the nation heal and move forward.
For free tickets to attend the live studio audience of "Piers Morgan Tonight" please send an e-mail to PMTtickets@gmail.com with:
1) Your full name
2) Your daytime phone number
3) One to two sentences about how you think the country can prevent such tragedies moving forward.