Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 17th, 2012

Clips from last night: Remembering Sandy Hook teacher Vicki Soto; Frank Bruni on gun control

During a live, special Sunday edition of "Piers Morgan Tonight," the family of slain Sandy Hook Elementary teacher Vicki Soto spoke with Piers Morgan. The family gave a touching account of Soto who has been honored by the Newtown community and the nation as a hero for selfless actions during the horrific shooting. Soto died protecting her first-grade class from the gunman, Adam Lanza, during the rampage that killed 20 children, between the ages of 6 and 7, and six educators, all women.

"She had such passion for teaching and for life and especially for her family," said her mother, Donna Soto adding that she "wanted to be a teacher by the time she was 3. It's all she ever wanted to do and she just loved her kids, she just talked about them all the time with such fondness and caring and she just adored them."

"She loved them [her students] more than life and she would definitely put herself in front of them any day and for any reason, so it doesn't surprise anybody that knows Vicky that she did this."

Later in the program, New York Times', Frank Bruni sat down with Morgan and gave his perspective on gun control. "I feel like there's a degree of heartbreak and there's a level of outrage right now that is bigger than I've ever seen," said Bruni. "And were gonna see right now whether we're willing to do something."

"It is an epidemic, it is and I think something will change. For the first time out of this misery, I feel a little bit of hope," continued Bruni. "It feels to me like people have finally had enough."

"We don't know that some of the things being proposed are the right answers and the president very, very wisely acknowledge that tonight," said Bruni. "But he [Obama] said 'we have an obligation to try,' and I think those were key words."

Watch the clips, and listen to the interviews, as Morgan and his guests continue to use the "Piers Morgan Tonight" platform to address the devastating school shooting in Newtown, Conn., and the ways in which America can move forward.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Clips From Last Night • The Big Story
  1. Christian Duval

The solution for gun control is simple; after the next mass killing (because there will be others), have the top leaders of the NRA do a tour of the crime scene before the bodies are removed to see the devastation their toys can do to the American people...

December 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave

You sir, are an idiot.

December 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Nk

You are a moron.

December 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Denis

Gary, hope your well, could you please let us know what guns you have? Did you have to wait for a background check?
        Thank you.

December 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Denis

I mixed up the names, very similar means of expression. I meant Dave (dave).

December 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beverly

.youtubedotcom/watch?v=5C1GSX1wOQs MORE ACTORS

January 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

Exactly right, the problem is that inspite of whats happened, people are still not convinced that we have to get rid of the guns

December 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Daniel Hurd

What about my 2nd amendment rights and my rights to own and carry a weapon to hunt or protect my wife and child from the bad and/or sick people that will forever continue to do these things? Our Founding Fathers made gun rights high on the list for a reason...

December 19, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ninja

Thank you Christian for speaking out. All the heartless morans and every NRA members have blood of on there hands.

December 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Captlee46

As Sad as it is that the 20 Sandy Hook Kids were Killed Nobody is outraged about the THOUSANDS that are Murdered By Abortion Every Year Why Not Scream About Banning Abortion or The Doctors that Commit The Murders? So Mr Duval you How about you and all you Anti Gun Nuts Take a look of the bloody remains of the Millions of Aborted Children that you and all the other liberals think is just fine to murder every year

December 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Patty James

This is no time to bring up your cause of abortion. If you can't deal with the problem at hand – killing of people by the use of automatic weapons – keep your mouth shut and sing your sad story of abortions to someone else at the appropriate time.

December 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Louis

Please focus on the control of the sale of BULLETS. Unless someone hits a person in the head with one, guns don't kill BULLETS do!! Alcohol & Cigaretts are controlled more strictly than bullets. It's time to focus on the real killer. Make it difficult to buy bullets!!
    Thanks.

December 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joshua

Leave a loaded assault rifle on a kitchen counter top and nothing will happen for a thousand years. Put a human in the room that is angry or depressed or has mental issues and horrible things happen in seconds. I don't think the piece of metal and plastic is the problem. It’s us, the humans. The emotional, unrealistic, unable to deal with negativity, and mentally broken individuals that destroy each other...

I blame my father, not the belt he used to beat us. I blame smokers, not tobacco; I blame fat people, not silverware. I blame bad or sick people, not guns. I blame the people for making bad choices, not the objects. I can hold the people accountable for their actions. I can't send a gun to prison, or sentence a Twinkie to probation. We better start looking at ourselves soon. Because with seven and a half billon of us here and growing, it’s all closing in on us pretty fast.

December 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • wucvetbo

A belt can only beat you when your father loses control. But a gun, can kill you.

December 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Katie12

Your comment is ridiculous, civilian people don't purchase these killing machines with 100 rounds to just sit on top of anything, they use them to hunt down and kill innocent animals as sport and/or to kill. These are military weapons! No one needs to have access to these, period!

December 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dale Johnson

That's exactly right. Why is no one criticizing the lack of a system that helps identify people with problems instead of going after the inanimate objects?

December 18, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Patty

you are right louis. the bullets and clips as well as the gun that uses them need to be under control. in a perfect world this would not be needed, in our world it is. in a perfect world there would be health care for all people – mental health and otherwise. Unfortunately we don't live in that perfect world and as a result there are many changes necessary to provide for the safety of our citizens, children and adults.

December 21, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. crisjonthin

Reblogged this on windows and commented:

December 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Andy

Prohabition did not stop the sale of Alcohol it drove it underground....The Russians and Chinese are rubbing their palms right now as when we ban guns this will be a billions of dollar black market for them....And I am sure that if more background laws were mandated this kid would would not have shot all these people because he would not have had a permit for that !!!! Get real people the real problem lies in the HIPA.... Yes HEALTH INFORMATION PRIVACY ACT
    These laws protect these NUTS....I heard the psyciatrist treating the Aurora Theater shooter went to her higher ups 2 week prier to the incident and was told to shut up because of the HIPA laws....
    The shooter in Connecticut may or may not have had a permit I dont no But the kid killed his MOTHER and stole her guns....Do you think more laws for law bidding people would have made a difference.....

December 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katie12

if you can't put 2+2 together to = 4, then..that's your problem AMERICA has 15 x's more violence and killing then ANY other country on earth. NONE of these gun show purchased killing machines need to be background checked. And yeah, mom bought the gun, son killed her and 27 others...ah, hello! There are many mentally ill and unstable people in this country, do we have more then any other country, NO. The only difference is american's ability to purchase and get these killing machines!

December 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Dale Johnson

Gun shows aside, which should be required to make background checks for sales, the FBI has checked me repeatedly every time I've bought a gun. If no one out there reports aberrant behavior by someone, how can we get them help before they do something bad?

December 18, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Patty

Katie – you are right. 100% right. I hope you will continue to stand up and help support the ban of these weapons, clips, bullets, etc.

December 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. California blue

Why is there not a police constable in the schools, like there is in Edmonton Alberta Canada.One officer per school,he not only takes care of the security but mingles with the students as well-good for the school and good for the police who get to no the students and there problems if any.
    M.E.LaZerte High School in Edmonton is a good example.

December 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Andy

If a kid will kill his mother and himself I am sure he would enjoy shooting a cop as well?
    FIX the MENTAL CASES LAWS THAT PROTECT THESE NUTS!!!!!
    HIPA!!!!!

December 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Vivi Mathiesen (from Denmark

Hi Pierce
    Thought you might want to see what circulates on Facebook in also Europe:

Best regards a big fan of your show
    Vivi Mathiesen

December 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kerry Chop

I am so impressed with Mr.Morgan and his perfectly logical stand on the gun issue in the US. I am a Canadian, and have watched for years, as the US has lost gun control. What the hell is the matter with anyone who thinks that this latest incident to take place in the US is'nt a gun control issue. I once, many years ago, met a man who was living in Canada, he was an American, his first comment to me was"We all don't understand you Canadians, you all don't carry guns" My comment to him was" If my neighbour does'nt have a gun, I don't need a gun". He went on to say that his wife had bought him a nine millimetre glock for Christmas, I then asked him, "Why do you live here in Canada", his answer to me, which I have never forgot, was "Well it's to violent down there, so there is the mentality, no corilation between gun's and violence, I would like to say Good Luck if that's what your dealing with.

December 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel Hurd

Canadians like yourself and the brits such as Mr. Morgan himself, please mind your own business in your own countries and leave us to tend to our own. We aren't butting our opinions onyour laws into your countries. Please also respect Mr. Morgan that our fore fathers left your miserable government to start this wonderful country not to let you pi$$ all over our Bill of Rights. Thanks and have a great day...in your own countries worrying about your own issues.

December 22, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lomand

I appreciate Piers's comments about gun control and would like to add an observation. Right now there is a lot being said about mental health issues being at the root of mass shootings. I agree to a point. However, every country has people with severe mental health issues, yet we do not see scores of mass killings happening elsewhere. So, it seems to me that the ease with which guns can be had in the US must play a significant role in these incidents. It is just not possible to kill 30 people in the space of a couple of minutes if you are running around with a bat or knife. People would have time to get away. Since people in those other countries don't even seem to be trying to kill masses of strangers, you do have to consider that the medium – the gun – with its ease of use, makes it all too easy for someone who is unbalanced and in a heightened violent state to carry through with the violence.

December 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. jack

I voted for president Obama, and blue dog democrats in the largest swing state, one of the main reasons was his respect for the 2nd amendment and second because of healthcare, if he is swayed by the extremist views of mayor bloomberg, and california democrats, his party will pay a heavy price in 2 years, he is forcing people to spend thousands of dollars they need for other purposes on rifles, magazines, and ammo. once you hit my wallet, you have lost my vote. Pierce is not a citizen of this country, as we have no say so on how UK governs, he should respect our culture and stop bashing it. I love how every millionaire who has made it thanks to capitalism and free market, now is peddling socialist ideas to control the masses.

December 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

jack – this time you will be proven wrong. The NRA is going to be defeated this time. We will not allow those 20 children to have died in vain. We will stand up and be counted – against the NRA and we will win this time! and, i was raised with guns, hunted and was a member of the NRA. Not any more!!

December 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Barb Agerter

I agree 100% with Lomand<<>no other reason for them, they're not a hunting rifle. They should never have been allowed inro our society. And I support Piers for speaking out, because SOMEbody has to stand up and do it! Shame has been brought on what used to be a great country. Let's not let the big gun supporters with the billions to back them rule and ruin our country. I can't stop crying over these darling, innocent little children that remind me of my grandchildren. And I fear for our future if no change is brought about.

December 18, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel Hurd

Again, please do your research before speaking. AR15 covers a very broad spectrum of real hunting rifles in many popular hunting calibers. They are used to hunt everything from the small varmints that must be hunted for conservation and population control reasons to the largest of big game including bears, elk, and moose. Before you tell me I am wrong, no, I am very right. I am a gun dealer and it is my job to know these things. Do your research and you will see that the AR15 that you all are wanting banned was not even used in the shooting. It was left in the shooter's vehicle and never fired.

December 22, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Magnolia

Guns do not kill people....That gun did not load itself. It did not walk into the school itself. It is the person whom loaded it and carried it that is responsable. period. gun control will not help. it will take the guns out of the hands of the inosent and put more in the hands of wackos. There are millions of guns in the hands of "normal" people who does not kill.
    As for you mr Morgan, I hope your show gets canceled. after your performance last evening, I have lost all respect for you. Leave our country and go back to where you came from. You are a spokesman for the downfall of amereica. This is why Obama has been building concentration camps, and stockpileing ammunition.

December 18, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

Magnolia, – I am thankful for P. Morgan. A sane voice in the midst of total histeria. And you, you should add your name to the list of the "mentally ill" that the NRA wants to compile. Hopefully, we will see that the majority of American people do not agree with you or the NRA, May Mr. Morgan continue his work!!

December 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Daniel

So now it is considered "insane" to think a firearm cannot load itself and shoot itself into a crowd or other group of innocent people? Wow and this whole time I thought a person was needed behind that gun to load it, aim it, and pull the trigger continuously. I guess we all learn something everyday. I suppose I should watch the guns in my closet so they don't kill me in my sleep. I'm so glad you cleared that up for me!

December 22, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. GREG

the shooter was living in the basement/no windows/ pictures of guns on the walls..& the mom took hm shooting to the rifle range.the mom had 5 guns/did not lock them up/ parents divorced..he gave the mom lots of money but no help w/the boy...very strange situation..Mom went to the bar 3 times a wk for drinks & take out food..I am NOT judging,,only the Lord judges..May they all rest in peace...very sad indeed....

December 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Daniel Hurd

I agree with Magnolia, guns don't kill people, other people do! IF all the guns ever could be taken even from the criminals, someone who wanted to hurt others would just find another way of doing it in just as large of numbers. PERIOD! Taking my firearms and rights from me and the 95% of other legal, law abiding gun owners in America will NOT prevent any other tragedies. At Barb Ageter: YES they ARE hunting rifles!! I own one and yes I use it as a hunting rifle. The same as many thousands of other American men and women. Please do not speak if you do not know 110% that what you are saying is a 110% fact. To top it all off, everyone needs to research how many people were killed or even wounded in this shooting with the AR15 that this MENTALLY DISTURBED boy STOLE. It was left in the vehicle, all the murders were done with common pistols. Not so called "assault weapons". I am just as saddened by this horrific tragedy as anyone else but I think the answer is not disarming Americans but teaching us why it is important for us to be able to protect ourselves and how to safely use guns. Assault is not a rifle type but a terrible human action.

December 19, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

daniel, your heart may be in the right place – but you are wrong! wrong! wrong! my grandfather was a hunter, he killed antelope, moose, deer, rabbits, sage hens, – he accomplished this without a scope and either used a 22 or a 30/30. He was a real hunter and a real man. He would have had no problem defending his family or property with his "hands" – and i saw him do it. He didn't need a gun to accomplish this.

December 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Daniel

Not sure if you are insisting I am jot a "real man" but I assure you my pregnant wife will insist otherwise ;). As far as your grandfather goes, I'm sure he was a good man but you apparently do not understand the dangers of the real world today. Criminals that do not purchase their firearms legally, do not possess or carry them legally, do not use them legally or to provide food for their families do not carry a basic .22 rifle or .30-30 lever action hunting rifle. They use semi-automatic or illegal fully automatic weapons most likely purchased from the black market (which will be flooded with and prosper from illegal firearms if a new AWB is passed) why should I not prepare myself the best way possible to protect my family from real threats?

December 22, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marcus Johnson

I want to start off by saying my heart goes out to all the families. I currently own 3 guns a 44. Magnum, Remington 12 gauge shotgun, and an AR15 assault rifle similar to the bushmaster. I served in the army and deployed to Iraq as a 91w combat medic. The main reason why I chose to purchase that weapon was because of the ammunition size. PLEASE JUST LISTEN THE AVERAGE GUN that an American has is a 9mm pistol variAtion of some sort, most Americans that do have a guns have for personal protection and they keep them in there homes, and they mainly have them because of burglars

December 20, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

hi marcus, i appreciate your commentary and now i hope you step up and give the bushmaster to the police and ask them to melt it down – in memory of 20 dead babies who should be celebrating Christmas soon. What a wonderful way to set an example and get the ball rolling in the right direction.

December 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Marcus Johnson

I want to start off by saying my heart goes out to all the families. I currently own 3 guns a 44. Magnum, Remington 12 gauge shotgun, and an AR15 assault rifle similar to the bushmaster. I served in the army and deployed to Iraq as a 91w combat medic. The main reason why I chose to purchase that weapon was because of the ammunition size. PLEASE JUST LISTEN THE AVERAGE GUN that an American has is a 9mm pistol variAtion of some sort, most Americans that do have a guns have for personal protection and they keep them in there homes, and they mainly have them because of the fear of burglaries . most burglaries/ robberies are not a 1 person job,If someone personally breaks into your house you want to have the advantage and I'm sorry but pistol to pistol isn't cutting it. People cannot count on the police it could take them , inutes to arrive but it woMost Americans live in low income neighborhoods were the crime is very bad . ASK YOURSELF THIS IF WE CANNOT CONTROL THE FLOW OF DRUGS COMING INTO AMERICA, IF WE OUTLAW THEM THEY WILL STILL GET THROUGH, THE BAD GUYS WILL ALWAYS GET THE WEAPONS , but I we ban firearms how will you protect your family and possessions . GUNS WILL ALWAYS BE EVERYWHERE IN AMERICA BUT IF YOU BAN THE GUNS THE GOOD PEOPLE WONT BE ABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES. I do agree that we need more background checks on weapons, but realistically people kill people. This was a tragic incident and it's everyone's worst fear but everyone one knows it will continue to happen.

December 20, 2012 at 5:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Patty

Dear Mr. Morgan, Thank you for all you have done regarding the gun issue. We can only hope that the majority of America will respond appropriately and that we will be successful in banning the guns, clips, bullets, etc.

You are my hero. The speech today by the NRA is a perfect example as to why you are so important, We were at the same time stunned and furious over the contents and presentation of this speech. We are sitting in our home heart broken and weary over the deaths in Newtown, Clackamas, OR, Aurora, etc.

It is our hope that these children and adults have not died in vain. We will step up and never vote for any politician that supports the NRA in any fashion. We realize that the health care for our mentally ill people will have to be addressed as well,

Again, thank you for you efforts!.

December 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. go chats

Thanks for giving your ideas. I'd personally also like to convey that video games have been ever evolving. Modern technology and innovations have made it easier to create practical and interactive games. All these entertainment video games were not really sensible when the actual concept was first being experimented with. Just like other forms of electronics, video games also have had to advance by means of many many years. This is testimony on the fast growth and development of video games.

March 19, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Private Personal Training Long Island

This is what you call a power Quote!
    doesn't surprise anybody that knows Vicky that she did this."

What a shame! I wish the family the best!

January 24, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply