Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Need to Know News: Obama to lay out steps in gun policy; Report on Benghazi attack cites 'systemic failures'
December 19th, 2012

Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.

For December 19, 2012 – Obama to lay out steps in gun policy, report on Benghazi attack cites 'systemic failures' and Mark Zuckerberg donates $500 million...

Barack Obama to lay out first steps in gun policy talks after Newtown tragedy: "With the shock and horror from Newtown giving way to anger and calls for action, President Barack Obama will announce his first concrete steps Wednesday in addressing the raging debate about gun policy."

Report on Benghazi attack cites 'systemic failures': "An independent review of the September 11 attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi released Tuesday cited "systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies" at the State Department."

• Budget experts say fiscal cliff deal could disappoint: "Budget experts in Washington have seen lots of "big" fiscal deals over the years that end up resulting in far less than advertised."

• Treasury to sell remaining GM shares: "The Treasury Department announced plans on Wednesday to sell the 500 million shares of General Motors it still owns, closing the books on the $51 billion bailout that started four years ago."

Mark Zuckerberg donates $500 million: "Mark Zuckerberg donated Facebook shares worth $500 million to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, a non-profit organization that works with donors to allocate funds according to their interests."

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Need To Know News
  1. RADDO

FOR ME NRS MEANS- NOT REALLY AMERICAN
    EVERY GUN OWNER SHOULD HAVE HEAVY INSURANCE AND A SIGN OUT IN THE YARD INDICATING THAT HE IS A GUN OWNER THIS WILL HELP POLICE. THERE SHOULD BE A HEAVY TAX ON GUN PURCHASES JUST LIKE CIGARETTE AND ALCAHOL.

December 19, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • AL Brown

Great idea RADDO – If you have a sign in your yard that says you are a gun owner then the bad guys will stay away. They will go to a gun free area. Wake up and get a life jerk!
      Have a nice day.

December 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lorena McManus

I am Canadian with great affection for the US and its people. I think there is so much we don't know about this family and its dysfunction that contributed to the shaping of this young man's psyche which led to his horrific actions. As parents we don't want to face that our children are the products of the families we create. We live in a world that provides ample opportunities for us to avoid any responsibility. Secondly having automatic weapons available provided the tools to carry out this carnage on these babies and teachers. Apparently there are 10,000 shootings in the US each year. There are 50 in Canada. Don't know but assume this is similar to all other developed countries with strict gun legislation. So my wish is the US does the right thing. My heart is broken for the families and the children and educators who were victims of this senseless act of unspeakable violence.

December 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Daryl

I would like to ask any Pro Gun person, what is the necessity of a gun owner to own an assualt riffle? The Korean merchants in LA Riots 20 years ago has been thrown out there but my response would be if these store owners couldn't defend their property with a pistol or shotgun? The assault riffle may have been used by some but other firearms would of/could of been used for their defense. In addition, how many assault riffle owners/buyers only own an assault riffle and no other firearms? I suspect it is a very low number which reinforces my point that these weapons are purchased not as a necessity but rather as a luxury item that is fun to use. These type of weapons need to be removed from the public immediantly. They are used primarily in these mass killings and again server no purpose except for law enforcement and military. This is only one step that needs to happen which will at least reduce these tradegies since the "crime of opportunity" killer would not have this weapon in his home. He would still commit the crime but would use a pistal instead of an assualt riffle. The outcome would be completely differen't. Keep up the fight Mr. Morgan, and BTW, I am a gun owner which has a hand gun in the home for protection.

December 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MattM

Daryl, I guarantee you aren't removing mine...

December 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Larry

I understand that some people think that our semi auto weapons should be taken. Why? Is it our fault that some sick idiot decided to kill people. NO. As sad as it is, killings will always continue to happen. Why is that you might ask.. The internet, NEWS, ETC.. Even if you take the weapons sick individuals will find a way to do horrible sick things. For example they could get online and find a way to build a bomb "OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING". As much as I like watching the news, we should probably stop the problem where it starts.. Thats not with guns.. Thats with putting the idea out there for all the sick people to see. THE NEWS. and not all news broadcasting just the things that not everybody should hear about..SCHOOL SHOOTINGS, THEATER SHOOTINGS, BOMBINGS IN BFK, ALL these things give people who want to go out with a bang ideas. One of these days the guns that we have might be our saving grace.. I hope not, but they have been before and history does repeat itself. " CIVAL WAR"

December 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. don

Your interview with the pro gun person is a classic of what is wrong with your program. You don't listenm, you argue, do not seek any information from your guest, and you are classicly rude. A real British trait, not appreciated in the USA, wheer we are a little more civil in our debates. I suggest you go back to the UK, and work on dealng with all the violence there among the long term underclass that a welfare society such as you advovate has prioduced a declining nation. No wonder your ratings in the USA are so low.

December 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. SharonM

I was wondering how many guns were manufactured today, adding to the 300 million already in circulation. Thinking of televised fundraising events where they display a counter that shows the donations coming in, it might be an interesting exercise if CNN were to do the same thing, but instead "quietly" show a daily tally of guns manufactured that day.

December 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Blair J. Goodby

The only difference between the Semi-auto AR-15 and a semi-auto hunting rifle is looks. They both function the same way and are capable of the same rate of fire. Just because they look similar to a battlefield rifle is no reason to ban them from the public. They are designed to be functional and durable slightly more so than a semi-auto hunting rifle and not to be mistaken for a fully automatic battlefield rifle. Arm yourself, don't be a victim! You rely on the police to save your butt and you may be dead before any cop shows up. I know this from experience!

December 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tom

Thank you Piers Morgan!!!!! About time we had someone stand-up to these ridiculous pro gun arguments.

December 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • doug

let me ask you and the other anti gun people a question. since you believe the gun is the one at fault here. then why are we not banning cars since so many people are stupid enough to drink and drive and kill someone. what is the difference. the gun did not kill the person behind the gun did it. the car didnt do it the person behind the wheel did. the problem is we have raised a generation of people who think they do not have to be responsible for there actions!!! if you guys want to ban guns i would be fine with it, but that would mean everyone including police, the sercret service all of them. then the criminals could have a field day

December 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark B

I never liked Piers Morgan when he replaced Larry. But I must say. Piers, you really have a pair! You are the only person who takes the gun fanatics on head-on. I own a Colt AR-15, and I've been wanting to have it destroyed for years so some moron doesn't get ahold of it when I am gone and in the grave. Can we have places in America where you can take your weapons you don't want, have them destroyed and get them off the streets? I think millions would do this after this weeks events. Don't let up on the gun lobby Piers! You are right. They, are not. Life, liberty, and the pusuit of happiness. Life, is first .

December 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. gary

mr morgan
    having dr. oz comment on gun control , really –why because he was so good at getting oprahs weight under control

December 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kate

Last night I was reading an article online in regards to the killer, Lanza. I read the comments below the article and was totally stunned at what one person revealed. I believe it has never been mentioned in the news . The comment stated that the 2nd most powerful Gun Lobby is in NEWTON, CONNECTICUT. I searched it online and apparently it is true. I agree with you completely on gun control but why have these people not be mentioned or questioned like the NRA? It's appears to be a hush hush situation. This gun lobby is located right across from the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Keep the pressure on for gun control Piers. I have listed the link below to article I found.

December 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sarah

We need ammunition control! No background check/gun registration = NO BULLETS! Limited number of bullets per person per year. Use a fingerprint system and tax every bullet sold to pay for it.

December 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. MattM

Challenge to EVERYOHNE: go to two links and sort them and compare them side by side. It quickly becomes obvious that there's no link between a country's private gun ownership rate and the murder rate. If anything it's the opposite for the countries with the worst murder rates:
    Link 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country
    Link 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

December 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MattM

Just to respond to myself... It's interesting to note that the U.S BY FAR has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, but is actually way down (97th which is somewhere in the middle) for the murder rate.
      Quit listening to Piers Morgan, he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. If you listen to him, you'll all be slaves to gangs and criminals. The US is much different than Australia... and Sweeden, the nice little smurf village like hemogenous countries that he likes to use as examples.

December 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • loreanna

In response to Matt. CNN just reported this am that mass shootings dropped to 0 after Britain and and Scotland banned assault weapons. Canada's laws make it very difficult to access guns esspecially assualt weapons. They had 50 shootings last year compared to 10,000 in the US. Even if you adjust that number for the difference in population size the differnce is exponential.

December 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Matt

You entirely missed the point. Who cares about "mass shootings"? First, I'm talking about the number of people murdered in a country, it is really immaterial if some of them are labeled as a "mass shooting" or not.
        It is wonderful that Britain and Canada have low murder rates compared to the US, does anyone dispute this?
        Honduras and El Salvador have MUCH higher murder rates than the US, and they have extremely low rates of private gun ownership; almost no one owns a gun.
        Sorry, comparing the U.S to Canada is like comparing Chicogo Ill to Elk Springs Alaska or somehting. There's simply nothing to be gained by making the comparison. Even to Briatin for that matter. Great Britain is an island. The U.S has thousands of miles of open borders. If you ban guns every gang member there is would own assault rifles and we would live under their thumb.
        Did you actually go to the links I recommmended and compare the murder rates with the gun ownership rates; or did you just comment for the heck of it?? There's absolutely no correlation, except possibly the opposite of what you're trying to make.
        Link 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

December 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kate

Well done, Mr Morgan!!!!

December 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Clif Carter

Piers is the definition of "opportunist"...he is using the tragedy at Sandy Hook for his career. Anyone who would engage people and interview them with the intent to enrage the guest and act like he did, is nothing more than an opportunist to encourage viewership and insight agitation to show his producers how great "he" is as a reporter...bah hum bug!!!!by I am disgusted and saddened by his lack of compassion for the topic, shown as being the first one in the media to encourage such a distasteful exchange that lacked everything except sensationalist intent for self reward. Disgusting!!!!!!

December 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Billy

What I dont like is REPORTERS WHO COME FROM OTHER COUNTRIES and start telling AMERICANS what we should think. Hey morgan go back to england if you think its not safe here we were just fine without you.

December 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jesse

The best way to fix things is getting other opinions, and acting on the best of them. Not getting other opinions results in invading another country on your own, ignoring others opinions and finding there were no nukes in the first place. Iraq
      Let Peirs help and park the small minded pride.

December 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chase

What I don't like is uneducated low-IQ, gun-loving white rednecks that pretend that the US is the only country in the world that matters. What I also don't like is the fact that these bigoted, close-minded and insecure "gun worshipers", like Billy, believe that their "gun rights" far outweigh any rights that 20 elementary kids have to not be blown away by a Bushmaster assault rifle during reading time. Common sense would simply say "screw the 2nd Amendment!" I'm from the US, but many people in the US are simply too delusional to own ANY type of gun. Period. I encourage the silent majority who agree to please get up and SPEAK NOW on this gun problem. Damn!

December 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BILLY

Hey chase billy here is an IRAQ VET 06-07 who has earned the right to say what I want.Morgan is a fake thats why they kicked him out of england for false reporting on the British military do your research.

December 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Blair J. Goodby

ZNN turns its ugly head once again. the words I print are to true so
    ZNN don't post it! lol Freedom of speech??? only for media sensationalists I guess! What a crock! You lost me again for how many years this time? I just came back to ZNN two days and you lost me,,, SAD!

December 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Michelle

I think Pierce is rude, inconsiderate and if you do not share the same opinion as he has, he will blast you on his show. He was made an "donkey" by Larry Platt and I am glad, because it is about time, someone treated Pierce the way that he treats others. In the wake of what happend on Friday, I am horrified for all the families involved, including the Lanza family. But, no one could have forseen this tragic event. Any criminal will get their hands on a weapon regardless. All upstanding, law abiding citizens should be allowed to have their rights, whatever those rights may be. It is true, if you pay attention, the criminals do go to the gun free zones and target those areas! Stop being so close minded Pierce and feel the need to be "right" for once in your life, take a look with an open mind, open heart, and open eyes! Larry Platt is 100% correct and you were to rude, to disrespectful, that you knew he was correct and felt the need to call him names (which he had the dignity not to do to you) and you kept interrupting him. If you cannot handle the truth Mr. Morgan, then do not put people on your show and dish it out. Mr. Platt made you look like a bumbling fool!

December 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Blair J. Goodby

Ok I know I said I was done but I have to say this as my last post was not posted.
    Our children are our most precious resource, should we not do everything conceivably possible to protect their future? Up to and including the education and training required to put side arms in the teachers hands. Again I must bring to some of your attention that it was not in fact an automatic assault rifle but rather a semi-auto sport rifle made to the durability standards of and looks like a military battlefield rifle, get it straight in your heads for crying out loud. A SEMI-AUTO is no-where near AUTOMATIC! A sport rifle is not an ASSAULT rifle. People are twisting the truth and playing with words, more than likely due to ignorance and fear!
    I'm 52 years old and always wanted children, lots of children but, I was never so blessed.
    I cried for two days because of this terrible act of violence. I would give anything to have been able to be there at that time and been in a position to get in front of that sick, twisted little monster. I would have gladly given my life for anyone's child, for gods sake they are our future. They trust us to protect them from evil. Should we not do everything possible to ease their beautiful little minds and let them focus on their future,,,OUR future.

December 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. AJ

Several things come to mind when I think about the interview I just watched. First, why is this lout allowed on television. Who sponsors such a person? I don't mind controversy, but he is abysmal either as a host, or as a decent person. Who starts calling people names when someone disagrees with them and has a better argument? Juvenile, puerile people, that is who. When debating, you know a side has lost when they descend to calling names. The gentleman he was haranguing was polite, but firm, the way a teacher is with a rude child. Mr. Morgan obviously did not like being laughed at, although he earned the laughter by being such a buffoon. What he truly reminded me of, was an ill mannered teenager who lacked the knowledge or the mental capacity to defend his position. The result is always the same, fall back to calling your opponent names. Mr. Morgan is sad really if he is as he appears, but he is a duplicitous scoundrel if this is merely an act used to garner ratings. He failed to address any of the points brought up by his guest, and merely used the act of asking a question to accuse his guest of knavery. When his guest tried to answer his questions, one at a time, he was repeatedly interrupted by this jackanapes. CNN has fallen on hard times it appears.

December 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. AJ

One point that was brought up was the fact that all the shootings are in gun free zones. In other places when they try this, someone stops them. You never hear it on the news, but legally armed citizens stop many of these monsters. If I am a teacher, I would rather be armed and ready to defend my students rather than die trying to take a bullet for them. The same goes for the principal, and all the administration. Teachers have already been screened repeatedly, fingerprinted and background checked. If they are responsible enough to be armed, who is?

December 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. AJ

Sorry, the last should have been " Teachers have already been screened repeatedly, fingerprinted and background checked. If they are not responsible enough to be armed, who is?"

December 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Lea

Good job, Piers. Finally, a host who is less concerned about "being nice" not minding controversy on the show than about getting a solution and holding your guests accountable for unsubstantiated "facts"!

December 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Will Mill

Wow look!!.. losers unemployeed holding up manufacturd signs for food stamps. No wait, they got to be sheeple paid by Eli Lilly because they all look well medicated. Have Sparkly Day

December 20, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. AJ

Lea seems a bit confused. Peirs had no facts, and the facts that his guest presented were correct. Look them up for yourself. I run into this working with teens. If the truth doesn't suit them, well just make up whatever "truth" you want. They have been told everyone's truth is as valid as anyone else's.

December 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. BUCKAROO

PLEASE TELL THAT PIERS [ IDIOT [ MORGAN TO GO BACK TO HIS OWN COUNTRY. WE SENT THE BRIT S RUNNING HOME ONCE AND WE LL DO IT AGAIN

December 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Edmond Mont

Fundraising organizers are realizing that in order to complete the event with a significant amount of raised revenue, it must be run as efficiently and resourcefully as a business. Websites, online payment capability, and electronic payment processing are three key factors that can help overcome many of fundraising’s obstacles. -

Latest post on our own blog
    <http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/