Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 26th, 2012

Jack Hanna's advice when encountering a wild animal and he explains the uptick in wild animal attacks

Tonight, Piers Morgan invites Jack Hanna to the program to discuss the recent influx of reports regarding animal attacks in the U.S., including a Florida teenager who lost part of his arm in an alligator attack.

Hanna's advice when encountering a wild animal is counter intuitive but very important: "Do not run. People - young people have to understand this," warns Hanna.

"They [wild animals] relate man to food," explains Hanna. "If people feed the gators, then the gator relates that person to food. If you leave your picnics in Montana or Idaho, wherever you're hiking in Arizona, or whatever state has black bears or grizzlies, you leave a food there at the picnic place, they're going to come back."

Hanna also provides insight as to why these alligator and crocodile attacks are more prevalent right now during breeding season:

"Alligators and crocodiles are some of the most aggressive creatures on the planet—they’ll take down a boat if you come up to their nest.”

Due to careful regulations in Florida Hanna said it’s very unlikely that you will be attacked by these dangerous reptiles. Watch the clips and listen to the interview as Hanna gives advice and shares his knowledge of animal attacks.

-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by: ,
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. The Brenner Brief

Piers, is it ok for someone to have a gun to defend themselves from a wild animal? Or, maybe if the animal isn't allowed to own a gun we'll just all be ok.

December 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nana

Animals don't have God or Country and don't kill the way humans do.

December 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. The Brenner Brief

Reblogged this on The Brenner Brief and commented:

December 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ivan Haack-Hamilton

Dear Mr. Morgan.
    My name is Ivan Haack-Hamilton from Denmark (Europe)
    I totally agree with you, that the american way of thinking regards weapons is completely worong!!!!!
    I have just heard your interview with the person defending the usage of weapons and even – making sure teachers should carry them....
    I do think it's impossiple for people from Europe to understand the views of americans in many ways...e.g. why is it OK to learn children about guns and then band the usage of "bad " language on TV etc....
    My country support the US in many ways and I do as well...but NOT in this issue....

PS.: Sorry my poor spelling and english...
    Ivan

December 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rose Marie Morrow

Ivan,
      As a American Citizen even I and all of my family are horrified and bewildered over guns in the United States. It is a sick nation when it comes to many things and guns is one of them. There are only four million members of the National Rifle Association yet they have more power then the AARP or the Unions........it is sick. My husband and I left the United States 18 months ago to live in a peaceful country that does not think killing and war are the way to answer questions. We pray our grown sons will join us soon. The United States is a very dark and sick place right now. All we can do is pray that President Obama will change the gun laws NOW.

December 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • vicky

President Obama leads in violence.

December 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Griff.

"My advise? Don't!! There are always animals around wherever you go, they're all wild; even the one in your own home. Humans cant even be domesticated, so respectect all living things, some more than others. Remember the Whale that took the female (so called) trainer into the pool with him/her? Most (so called) Wild animals don't visit our own space except certain times of year looking for food, where as humans walk 'willie-nillie just about anywhere, in ignorance??"

December 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • vicky

December 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • crouchinglurker

"You are correct, humans cannot be domesticated. The Obamas are proof. They are living in an historic home and the first in American history, they are committing murders."

Your slip is showing...

December 27, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
      • vicky

Did you check yours?

December 27, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Andy Jane

Am I the only disturbed watching piers Morgan tonight put those animals back in the wild......,Please

December 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. vicky

My complements to the vicious animals, unlike the Obamas, they did not kill anyone.

December 26, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rose mary morrow

Vicky,
      You are a true idiot. President Obama and his lovely wife have not hurt anyone. Yes, President Obama did send more troops into Afghanistan that is true and sad – however President Bush started a way in Iraq that was started because he lied. President Obama is a good president now a war monger like George Bush and Dick Chaney. Why don't you try reading a few newspapers or magazines – Reading is fundamental. Turn off Fox News and THINK for yourself. I would hate to live in your head and heart........sad woman, READ.

December 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • NK

Vicky darling you need to catch up on some facts. It was not President Obama who started this war it was George Bush S. Bush SR told Saddam Husain his best friend to invade Kuwait ( Kuwait was once part of Iraq ) and Saddam was just taking orders back then this was in 1991. The truth was Bush wanted to send troops to Kuwait and to Saudi Arabia. Our troops are still in both those countries supporting Puppet leaders. These leaders like Saddam have to preform for the US. Bush family are best friends of the Saudi Royal family where the terrorist came from remember on 911? You and I did not even know of this black man with a funny name in 1991 right? When you hear of Iran is our enemy please ask your self this question why a country so far away from us hate us so much? A country that has never invaded its neighbors, surely has no desire to invade United States. Remember Saddam Husain was once Bush's friend who supplied arms to attack Iran for 8 years killing millions of innocent Iranians. The Iranians were killed with Mustard Gas remember? Who supplied this gas? Iran threw there Puppet king and wanted to be paid in Euros instead of $$$ Thats why the US hates Iran. Now, you do your research. Bush Jr knew there was no WMD from Daddy Bush but still invaded Iraq killing over one million innocent people. You might want to get Michael Moors movie on Netflix.
      Why do you HATE Obama ? It's just Skin or his funny name?

December 28, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joanne

Piers consistently interrupts his guest, it's so annoying. And why did he have jack hannah on when he's so terrified of animals.

December 27, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ima Leprechaun

I know for a fact that Jungle Jack cannot out run a chevy. If you are listening Jack, do you still jog in the middle of the road on foggy days? I am so glad I missed you but you did scare the daylights out of me. Everytime I see you on TV I remember my only close call with someone famous while running hot on a call Jack stay out of the middle of the road please..

December 27, 2012 at 4:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. someone

Sometimes Pierce needs to shut up and allow his guest to finish a sentence and or a thought.

December 27, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lucy

Why you don't know English?

December 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Anonymous

Jack Hanna did a great job on this program- it was so annoying that Piers Morgan kept interrupting him. Piers did a horrible job in this interview, and I wish a better interviewer was chosen to run the show with Jack Hanna. It was very interesting and Jack was very knowledgable. Please bring him back and give the guest a chance to talk.

December 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dylan

I'm wanting to look at blogs containing music I like, but sifting through all the detached, outdated and crap blogs is a hassle. . I know there are thousands of blogs, is there a good resource to seek out the preferred ones?.

May 4, 2014 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Natalie

I have asked several questions, and many of the replies suggest that I consider FIREFOX. I'm not sure what it is – probably a browser. Is it similar to Netscape and Internet Explorer? What are its good features and its bad features?.

May 4, 2014 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply