Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Need to Know News: December jobs report shows hiring and unemployment steady; Calls from tea party for 'consequences' of fiscal cliff vote
January 4th, 2013

Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.

For January 4, 2013 – December jobs report shows hiring and unemployment steady, calls from tea party for 'consequences' of fiscal cliff vote and Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian...

December jobs report: Hiring and unemployment steady: "The job market ended 2012 with more growth, as moderate hiring continued at the end of the year. The economy added 155,000 jobs in December, bringing the total number of jobs added in 2012 to 1.84 million, the Labor Department said Friday. The unemployment rate held steady at 7.8%."

• Calls from tea party for 'consequences' of fiscal cliff vote: "Prominent tea party voices are calling for action following the fiscal cliff votes this week in Washington."

• Congress to vote on Sandy aid: "The House is poised to vote Friday on a $9.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package after delays over fiscal cliff bickering and a warning from federal officials that funds are running out."

• Chavez battling 'severe' lung infection, respiratory failure: "Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is battling a "severe" lung infection that has caused respiratory failure, a top official said. Chavez, 58, has been hospitalized in Cuba since undergoing cancer surgery more than three weeks ago."

• French star Depardieu ditches France for Putin's Russia: "French movie icon Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian. Depardieu may never become a documented immigrant in the U.S., but the star announced Friday he accepted Russian citizenship after Vladimir Putin granted it to him personally by presidential decree, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported."

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Need To Know News
  1. Catherine Phung

Reblogged this on catherinephung.

January 4, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Susan Connolly

I absolutely love Piers Morgan to-night show...where is he and why have all his shows for the last couple of weeks been reruns......is Piers prepared to fight for the right to speak up on american gun violence and get to saty withing the USA..I believe the people on the bully pulpit of the NRA are those who should have to leave the country they ae destroying the very meaning of the 2nd ammendment .

January 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jonquil

I like Piers, too. He's a very good interviewer and he appears to always take a fresh angle when discussing current events with his guests. He doesn't give the impression of being a brand-bot, a puppet content with neatly repeating whatever the new, political dictation of the day, is.

January 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • 44_shooter

Susan and Jonquil, the two of you just made me laugh my a** off. Thanks for making my day, I hadn't heard something that funny for a while. Love your sarcasm.

January 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. auntmia

Get rid of Piers Morgan! He should be deported for subversion, if any other country would take him!

January 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jonquil

It's a very insecure Democratic Republic, if we can't handle differing opinions - and your positions must be very weak, if the only way you can defend them is to silence or remove the opposition.

January 6, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. jmj49

Hey Piers, lots of talk about guns, if you are really a reporter, truth seeker, which I doubt, why not investigate the role of psychotrophic drugs in all these horrible events. But that probably wouldn't fit your agenda.

January 6, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Griff.

"Why is it CNN hate the truth when it's not praising their idiot Obama???

Carlos Centeno, a temporary worker who died after a workplace accident, and his partner, Velia Carbot.

CHICAGO — By the time Carlos Centeno arrived at the Loyola University HospitalBurn Center, more than 98 minutes had elapsed since his head, torso, arms and legs had been scalded by a 185-degree solution of water and citric acid inside a factoryon this city’s southwestern edge.

Why emply extra staff and pay Obamacare????"

January 6, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Kel

Pierce's interview with Alex Jones was truly indicative of your biased network and why I don't watch mainstream news. No one rallying for gun control wants to discuss the real issues underlying the violent issues with guns. What a joke! Who really knows what the truth is anymore. The lawyer called his statistics a lie but the info came straight from our government. No wonder why Alex is so compassionate. Everyone wants to twist the facts to their agenda
    Classic the way you aired victims prior to his interview.
    You people are what drive people to his radio show!!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way just for the record: not all gun loving Americans are that impressed with the NRA. I guess that's just your way of profiling to suite your agenda!!

January 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Geoevan Rich

Good Evening, Piers: OK. I am speaking from the perspective of a lifelong semi-conservative, but also being a free thinker. And I confess that I have not made up my mind concerning how to view this Gun-Control issue since the Newtown, Connecticut tragedy. I confess that I can see meritorious arguments on both sides of this issue. I am currently living in Venezuela, but I happened to see this eveing your interview with some gun rights activist. And I have to admit that your choice of a man who might go out of control while on the air was obviously a purposeful action on your part. And you know perfectly well, that your purposely did that. I can only compare it to your interview a couple of weeks ago when you, yourself "lost control", and called another fairly calm and courteous interviewee an" IDIOT". Look, Piers, you are a professional journalist, and should know better than to "purposely bait" some character that you know you can out-maneuver on the air. You are paid to be a master of words. And obviously, these other people are not as eloquent as you. You should be ashamed of yourself baiting such people. Your job is to report the news, not to convince people to think your way. Or is it?

January 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Retired Wounded Warrior 1LT/SPC Rodney Chalfant

PIERCE YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. THANK YOU FOR TAKING A STANCE FOR DEFENSELESS AMERICAN'S. YES, I BELIEVE IN THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT, BUT OUR FOREFATHERS WOULDN'T EVER ALLOW AR 15 INTO THE PUBLIC HANDS. WE MUST TAKE A STEP FORWARD AND VOICE OUR CONCERNS BEFORE THE NEXT VIOLENT ACT. SANDY HOOK IS A GOOD LESSON FOR US TO MAKE THE RIGHT MOVE NOW POLITICALLY.

I DO HAVE TO SAY THAT I'M A FAN OF YOUR SPECIAL GUEST LAST NIGHT AS HE HAS HIS RIGHTS AS WELL TO SHARE HIS 1ST AMENDMENT. HE CROSSED THE LINE WHEN HE SAYS THAT HE WANTS YOU DEPORTED. PIERCE YOU ARE A TRUE HERO IN MY EYE'S AS YOU TAKE A STAND FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS RIGHT DESPITE THE BACKLASH. KEEP UP THE GOOD REPORTING AS WELL AS BEING AN EXCELLENT ROLE MODEL FOR MY CHILDREN AS A FAMILY MAN FIRST, FATHER, CNN HOST, ETC. I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICES AS YOUR RELATIVES WHO SERVE AND HAVE SERVED ARE MY HERO'S AS WELL AS YOURSELF AND YOUR WIFE. THANK YOU. WE AS A MILITARY FAMILY PRAY FOR YOU DAILY AND LOVE YOU AS A PERSON OF GREAT CONVICTION.

January 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maggie Rose McGrath

Dear Rodney,

I am in the Wounded Warrior Program on the West Coast. I just want to say that I am NOT a fan of his Monday Night guest for many reasons, both personal and professonal....and although I do agree with much of what he has said in the past....he dilutes it by being so self absorbed, egotistical and more so...Abusive of Piers and others like him. I am not in any way a liberal as many in my family are, or new networks like CNN, But I admire Mr. Morgan and I am proud of his work. As a Former Journalist and Radio Broadcaster.....I may be right now...silent, but I can be well.....determined for my rights. My own son in law is from England and I am proud that Mr. Moran comes from a country that my Grandchildren have duel citizenship in. What the British did to us and others, and how many in the elite circles, have secretly financially inslaved us...has NOTHING to do with how Alex Jones lost so much respect....setting him back...by his actions the other evening. God Bless you brother and Thank You also for your service.

January 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply