Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For January 4, 2013 – December jobs report shows hiring and unemployment steady, calls from tea party for 'consequences' of fiscal cliff vote and Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian...
• December jobs report: Hiring and unemployment steady: "The job market ended 2012 with more growth, as moderate hiring continued at the end of the year. The economy added 155,000 jobs in December, bringing the total number of jobs added in 2012 to 1.84 million, the Labor Department said Friday. The unemployment rate held steady at 7.8%."
• Calls from tea party for 'consequences' of fiscal cliff vote: "Prominent tea party voices are calling for action following the fiscal cliff votes this week in Washington."
• Congress to vote on Sandy aid: "The House is poised to vote Friday on a $9.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package after delays over fiscal cliff bickering and a warning from federal officials that funds are running out."
• Chavez battling 'severe' lung infection, respiratory failure: "Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is battling a "severe" lung infection that has caused respiratory failure, a top official said. Chavez, 58, has been hospitalized in Cuba since undergoing cancer surgery more than three weeks ago."
• French star Depardieu ditches France for Putin's Russia: "French movie icon Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian. Depardieu may never become a documented immigrant in the U.S., but the star announced Friday he accepted Russian citizenship after Vladimir Putin granted it to him personally by presidential decree, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported."