Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For January 14, 2013 – 'Argo,' 'Les Miserables' take top Globes, countdown to new wave in gun violence battle and Lance Armstrong plays Oprah Winfrey card...
• 'Argo,' 'Les Miserables' take top at Golden Globes: "'Argo,' the retelling of the dramatic rescue of American diplomats during the Iran hostage crisis, and 'Les Miserables,' a big-screen adaptation of the Broadway musical, were the big winners at this year's Golden Globes."
• Countdown to new wave in gun violence battle: "When a set of recommendations to reduce gun violence hits President Barack Obama's desk on Tuesday, it will trigger a new stage in a decisive political battle consuming Washington."
• Beijing adopts emergency measures for 'hazardous' pollution: "A series of emergency response measures were adopted in Beijing Sunday when the city's Air Quality Index exceeded 500 micrograms, the highest level. Anything above this is regarded as 'beyond index.'"
• California could be next oil boom state: "California is sitting on a massive amount of shale oil and could become the next oil boom state. But only if the industry can get the stuff out of the ground without upsetting the state's powerful environmental lobby."
• Lance Armstrong plays Oprah card: "After decades of denying he used performance-enhancement drugs, disgraced cycling legend Lance Armstrong sits down with talk show queen Oprah Winfrey on Monday for his first interview since he was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles in a doping scandal."