Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 21st, 2013

Stevie Wonder on the future of America: "We can really come together"

After a day which saw the eyes of America focused squarely on Washington, DC for the 57th Presidential Inauguration, tonight Piers Morgan is on the ground in the nation's capital, helping to host CNN's special coverage of the Inaugural Balls.

Due to perform later this evening, Stevie Wonder set aside a few moments to chat with Morgan, reflecting upon the significance of the day. As this years occasion falls on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, an official holiday that the legendary musician campaigned hard to help create, Wonder offered a nod to the progress the country's made:

The man behind such classic hits as "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and "Part-Time Lover," Wonder is scheduled to sing at multiple balls this evening. Though he wouldn't reveal details of his set list, he did offer to cue up a duet:

"Are you going to come sing with me?" Wonder asked Morgan.

"What are you thinking, 'Superstition'?" answered the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host.

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, and stay tuned to CNN to see what songs Wonder sings and whether or not Morgan gets called to the mic.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Nana

World history archive
    Words from Rev King that gets forgotten

January 22, 2013 at 5:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Friend of Ray

" Stevie Wonder Pulls Out Of Friends Of The Israel Defence Forces Concert After United Nations Vote"
    What does he think about the killing of innocent children and people in Gaza?

January 22, 2013 at 5:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sally Rosen

I used to love Stevie Wonder and his music but very disturbed by his words which come across as socialism and communism. We are nation of diversity not only in race, color and religion but in political parties. This gives us a balance of power and is set up to prevent one political party or government from domination – which is what Mr. Wonder subscribes to! I am sick to my stomach from statements like those made by Stevie Wonder and what is happening to this country. I will not listen or subscribe to his music any more after this, that is how strongly I feel.

""I feel like there's so many things that I envisioned, that I saw, and those things are happening, coming true," said the 62-year-old, 22-time Grammy Award winner. "The only thing I'm hoping for is that we truly will get people together. You know, sometimes I wish we could have even more than a Democratic Party and Republican Party, a united party, where people come together, but I think that if we just get people thinking that way, we can really come together."

January 22, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mag

Oh yes, let's trash Stevie Wonder because he supported the innocent people of Gaza against the Israel attack and refused to preform in Israel.

January 22, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. buschic

Thank You Stevie for NOT bowing to the pressure of special interest groups & ACTUALLY SPEAKING YOUR MIND!!!
    Stevie You are my inspiration to be ME, & not let ANYONE try to change who I am, or WHAT I believe in!

God Bless Stevie, KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH & KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING, SPEAKING YOUR MIND!!

January 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Molly

We are all behind Stevie Wonder. Lets get our country back. We need more brave people like Stevie Wonder who is not blinded seeing the Truth.

January 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. 71 Year Old American

Stevie, your dream of everyone coming together will NEVER come true as long as people keep hiding under the cloak of racism. No other President except Obama has experienced such resistant from Party members. Just be realistic and hope that MOST sensible politicians will act in the best interest of the majority of Americas. I do believe that racist Americans are still the minority.

January 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply