Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 25th, 2013

Tony Robbins on happiness: "The quality of your life is the quality of where you live emotionally"

Coming up tonight at 9, Piers Morgan invites Tony Robbins back to the program, as the best-selling author and legendary peak performance strategist shares his patented blend of positivity and mental strength.

Addressing such issues as trauma and stress in one's life, Robbins says the fundamental tenant is to understand that everything begins within one's mind:

"First of all, I want to make one thing clear: The quality of your life is the quality of where you live emotionally," he tells the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host. "But we all have a home. Angry people find a way to get angry even if their life doesn’t have anything to be angry about. We can always find it. Sad people find a way to be sad. Caring people find a way to care for other people. So one thing to identify is where are you living? What’s your home? What’s your habit? And then the way to change it."

Telling the tale of days in which he found himself homeless, the 52-year-old self-help guru reveals the ways in which he found the strength to persevere, and prosper:

"I didn't have the Internet, but I've decided I had to go to a library and I had to feed my mind. And I always tell people the first stage is, you know, weeds grow automatically," he tells Morgan. "One of my teachers taught me, he said: 'Every day stand guard at the door of your mind and feed it something good, because if your worst enemy puts sugar in your coffee, here, you're fine. If your best friend, by accident, trying to help you, puts some strychnine, you're dead.'"

Watch the clip, listen to the interview, and learn about the five individual pillars that the guest views as critical to happiness and success in life. Then tune in this evening at 9, as Robbins joins Morgan for an engaging and inspirational hour of television.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Keeping America Great
  1. Griff.

"Happiness, happiness, more than I've been blessed. So where are stuck the January Pierse? Freezing in Britain?
    Freezing in NYC? Expecting drouts in the spring, wherever you are?? When you could be in BC Canada, where at the moment it is 20C or in the eighties, on the edge of the Pacific.. I't just beautiful here, while you continue to fight the elements ."

January 25, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Wake up

Olive Stones: History of the United States

January 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. russ

in canada its the ame as usa.. they say they got the tools to help people get better jobs,but its like starting a business, so much red tape, most people just dont bother to waste their time

January 25, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lynne Wighton, M.P.H.

Tony Robbins just did huge damage to the current campaign to destigmatize PTSD. He insinuates that ANYONE can move beyond trauma to growth. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Current studies are finding more and more evidence that the experience of trauma is regulated not by reason or emotion, but by physiological processes that no person is able to control. Please let your audience know that this misinformation spouted by a nonscientist about a scientific issue is INCORRECT. Thank you.

January 25, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • russ

yea and we believe all scientists and doctors too....lol

January 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharon Botchway, FNP, CNM, MSN

Well, both are true really. Speaking as someone who has ptsd, I completely agree w/ Tony. The things that he is suggesting DOES help. Did you hear what the gentleman he was talking w/ who had ptsd. He was getting therapy, meditating, etc and it all helped. I am being treated w/ EMDR and it helped tremendously. There are effective treatments out there that anyone can benefit from. People need to know that it's not hopeless. And I use Tony's suggestions and they help as much as anything. BUT...maybe there are situations that just are not overcome-able. That's easy to imagine as well. But I for one find his suggestions to be extremely helpful. And no amount of "research" can dispute my direct experience of what helps.

January 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • hijackthemic

Amen to that. As someone who has a degree in psychology and is very knowledgable about how that specific slice of the scientific world operates, don't be confused into thinking there's some monolithic academy of omniscient scientists out there who can tell you how the world works. The fact is all (ALL) of the clinicians or scientists who make pronouncements about the treatability of PTSD have not studied and are not experts in every new therapy that is emerging (such as EMDR). Some people claim to have had their PTSD fully treated, others claim to have had it reduced to negligible levels. People should know that there are a variety of treatments out there for them to try which may prove very effective.

May 28, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sayed Najem

Dears Piers Morgan,

Finally I decided to email you, it is apleasure to watch your show and see the difference you are trying to make here in America. As I am from Lebanon officially and Canadian/American Citizenship. I have seen many countries and been around the world. I have settled in America. Cranston, Rhode Island. My past job, was being an athlete and Olympic Champion for team Canada. But I have been in war from Lebanon, lost my brother and have a handy capped brother. My father has been in war, and family moved so many times in my life from projects to projects to projects. But I wanted to say, your a very special person by really showing the world the truth and your doing your best in helping, especially toward gun control.

Again, I appreciated and I always support your show.

God Bless,

Sayed Najem
    Olympic & World Champion in TaeKwonDo
    C.E.O. @ alikeU.com

January 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jen

I wish more people like you would join Mr Morgan. Fear mongers are all against him.

January 26, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. jason

Tony Robbins was in Shallow Hal with Jack Black. Are you serious? Your a joke.... Your visa needs to be revoked....

January 26, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. p1n5p4n7h3r

"tenet" not "tenant". Dictionary.

January 26, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Charlotte

Tony Robbins apparently hasn't bothered to read ANYTHING about the science or biology of PTSD. He has no comprehension of the psychophysiology involved. Why some people get PTSD, and others don't. Mr Morgan, you need to talk to Dr. Roger Pitman at Harvard Med School. He wrote the chapter on PTSD in the Diagnostic Systems Manual. The book that physicians use to diagnose PTSD. This guy Tony is a cheerleader.... not much else.

January 26, 2013 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynne

Thank you Charlotte, especially for giving a reference to an expert.

January 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jason

I was born with the right to carry a firearm.it will be my right until I die..

January 26, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. DJ

Tony Robbins needs to have a PTSD convention. As a Line of Duty Injured 20 year high call volume paramedic from helicopter, ambulance, to ending the career with the Fire Service, I can relate to the 20 year Marine you had with Tony during this segment. Unfortunately, I don't have access to military psychological assistance and nor do I have the money to pay the previous comment of a Dr. Roger Pitman to dig me out of this hole that becomes deeper each day.Is there a Tony Robbins available in my zip code of 74136 area? My situation mirrors the marine, maybe not the marines scale of experience, however the symptoms and situations are the exact same!! Look forward to any response possible.

January 26, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharon

DJ, This is what I have done to treat my ptsd. I feel so much better after treatment w/ mindfulness, and EMDR therapy. you can learn mindfulness for free. Here is the contact info in your area. Contact Person: Terry, Telephone: (918) 740-7772, E-mail: buddhawithin at aol.com, Activities: Insight Meditation, Sun. 5-7 p.m. Mindfulness is a buddhist meditation practice that is currently being studied and showing great results. Don't let the buddhist part scare you. This is not a religious things, it's just a simple mental practice that anyone can use and is proving benefical for other mental health issues as well. It is ALWAY free, and the people at the number listed above, I'm sure, would be happy to teach it to you. If you went to the meeting on sunday nights, you will find others there who are learning it as well. Also, if you can afford therapy, find a therapist who uses EMDR to treat. It works as well. We know that those of us who have experience trauma actually have the "wiring" in our brains change. It is fasinating to me that the research on EMRD, actually shows that the wiring returns back to it's normal pathways. You can find more information about EMDR at http://www.emdr.com. The websites have a list of therapist trained in EMDR. Good Luck DJ. I just feel so much better from these 2 simple practices, I hope you can check it out.

January 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. keepemhonest

Tony "I can teach you happiness if you attend my $500 seminar" Robbins. What a retread from the 80s, spouting the same nonsense. Piers. Come on man. Work hard. Get good guests. Not a con man who own weight loss schemes have failed him. What is wrong with CNN? Piers ratings stink and they still allow him to book the same old, same old. Get creative man. Next up...let me guess. Michael Moore. He is always panting to get more air time and boring the hell out of the rest of us. How many times to do have to see the same people on here. The key to ratings is unexpected, great guests you can find elsewhere. Tony Robbins would appear anywhere to sell one more of his DVDs that he claims cost only $39 and then keeps billing you for the rest of your life when you failed to read the fine print that you're signing up for a monthly program. Con men do not make for good TV

January 26, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. robbinsistheman

To the haters. Maybe we need more "cheerleaders" as some of you say instead of people always pointing out everything that won't work. The fact that Robbins was in "Shallow Hal" must mean that he knows nothing (I'm being sarcastic). Robbins is making a difference and yes he is making money at it. So what. No one is forcing you to watch. At least his message is empowering. What are some of the hater's suggestions? Oh that's right. You have none because you just want to bash. As far as having no credentials, I think his track record speaks for itself, but, I'm not a Doctor so I guess my opinion must be worth nothing. Oh, and if I followed my Doctor's advice on everything and didn't self advocate, I would be in big trouble today. Having letters after your name does not mean that you have all the answers. It means that you worked hard in school and studied.

January 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pablo

Thanks for that. Here's a quote for you guys:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
      – Theodore Roosevelt

January 27, 2013 at 6:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. eric

I wonder who Adam Lanza's role model was. I wonder who James Holmes role model was? Any answers there Piers?

Maybe you could do a show on that. That would be very intellectual. Are you up for it Piers?

January 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Sharon

It is really bothering me that so many people are attacking Tony Robbins. HIS METHODS HELP! Why don't you want these things to be shared? The only reason there is no "scientific research" on what he is saying is because no one has bothered to study them. If someone did research, I am sure they would find his advise to be accurate. Do any one you actually have PTSD? It's pretty obvious you do not. I have ptsd and can assure you Tony's type of advise helps ALOT! Seriously. JUST B/C THERE IS NO RESEARCH TO CONVINCE YOU, IT DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T HELPFUL.

January 27, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sam

Piers Morgan sucks!
    Why would someone like Tony Robbins support this loser and agent of the evil Queen of England.

January 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Name*D Norris

Half the people thought the proposal to go to the moon a colossal waste of money. We look back and think that we all came together as a nation but we're looking through the lens of the headlines. We've always been divided on most issues but never before has there been a full court press of media to keep the opposing viewpoints in your face. Ask anyone and they will tell you a majority of people favor their views because the media outlets they frequent tells them so.

January 27, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Kevin

Although Tony has never suffered thru PTSD, it is a debilitaing issue, (don't want to call it a disease). I've been thru Vietnam, I've seen my friends die, and I still have the bad dreams, still try to deal with it, but, I've never been, as far as I know, been idsabled by it..Sure, I always keep my distance from people. I don't wnat to lose those close to me.
    I"ve also dealt with people who have been disabled with PTSD. These dreams are things that I and they have to deal with. Sure, I've been suicidal, but I dealt with it on my own terms. I only pray that others can find the truth in the Vietnam War, and hopefully deal with it. I love my brothers in Vietnam, I respect their issues. God bless them all

January 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Kevin

I really want to know how many of these writers are over 58 years old. The draft was ended. I HAD TO GO!!!

January 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Potaz

Tony Robbins has no qualifications to be "treating" anyone with PTSD. Perhaps he can "support" them in their struggle and they may even like him for doing so, but he is unqualified to claim that anything he has done is "treatment." I chalk Tony Robbins up as yet another unscrupulous self-help guru who is profiting from the hardships suffered by others.

January 27, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Billy

Wow, listen to you all! Just take the good from what you hear and move on.

January 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. gow

I was by Linkedin looking representing Paramount Net Traffic At present when I stumbled by your fantastic blog. Careful reading| gow http://www.tenis.webege.com

February 11, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. get more

Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

May 24, 2013 at 5:32 am | Report abuse | Reply