Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 8th, 2013

Chris Cuomo debuts on CNN, field anchors amidst blizzard: "It's truly an honor to join the CNN team"

Brand new personality Chris Cuomo certainly picked a dramatic night on which to make his CNN debut.

Stationed outside of the network's New York bureau, the now former ABC News correspondent and co-anchor battled gusting winds, and steady snowfall, as he filled in for Piers Morgan in his very first assignment since joining his new network:

"Alright, our thanks to everybody here, it's truly an honor to join the CNN team. Thank you for the coat, there's a hat somewhere as well," said Cuomo, referencing his recently received, logo emblazoned winter outerwear.

Then, the 42-year-old revealed a bit of his personality:

"I've got my first big exclusive for you: Piers Morgan? He's okay. He's landed, in London, safely," said Cuomo with a smile.

Switching to a story he described as being "literally all around us," the guest host began reporting on the potentially "record-setting blizzard" that's presently pounding the Northeast, calling predictions "terrible" with as much as 36 inches of snow listed as a realistic possibility.

On his first evening on the air, CNN certainly handed Cuomo a qualified stable of reporters, beginning with Ali Velshi who found himself positioned on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.

Admirably managing to keep his balance, with whipping winds battering him, Velshi stood on the shores of the beach, as water rushed in, and explained the situation:

"Something has happened in the last five minutes that has become substantially stronger, and I don't know whether it's affecting our signal to you," said Velshi, providing a bit of inadvertent foreshadowing.

Answering critical tweeters – based in the Midwest and Canada – who noted that those areas often get more snow than this blizzard is currently bringing, Velshi had a response ready:

"You don't get it with this speed, they don't get it with this velocity, so we've got that going on," he said. "Here on Cape Cod, as you know Chris, probably about a quarter million people residing here, in the winter. Some of them may have left..."

And with that, as Velshi had suggested, his signal disappeared, leaving Cuomo to fill in the blanks:

"Ali was right, they did have trouble with their signal. You see there, the wind whipping around, driving the tide toward him. Another problem, with these two fronts that are converging, to make this massive blizzard, is that you're going to have super-sized snow. It accumulates quickly, it can really damage quickly, as well."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Chris Cuomo weathered the storm – and perhaps some first night jitters – filling in for the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Free

Free Western Media.

February 9, 2013 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Cat

Welcome to CNN, Chris! I am so happy to see you there, I think your talents will be appreciated!

February 9, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. cr

So CNN appoints the brother of Andrew Cuomo, NY's Governor, to its team. Piers will be happy with his appointment, given Chris Cuomo's anti gun links. I'm finding the connection between journalists and political power increasingly alarming. This appointment doesn't pass the smell test. Looking forward to even more liberal bias and subjective reporting from CNN.

February 9, 2013 at 8:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karl

He knows his stuff but he comes off too pushy and seems to be running over everybody. He just doesn't fit in.

February 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. shw

I think Cuomo was great last night. He will be a plus for CNN. I will be watching The State of Union address on CNN due to the fact that he will be in the discussion panel minus that idiot. Can anyone tells me what is wrong with Morgan's mouth?
    He talks like he does not have any teeth and with every question comes with a faint smirk. The first quality for a TV personnel is to be able to talk clearly. The faster he talks , the less people can understand him.

February 9, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • cr

Noticed the same about Morgan and his quibble lips mouth. Not happy at all about Cuomo's appointment. I wonder if Chris helped or advised his brother in the drafting NYs new SAFE ACT gun bill? Where is the free press anymore?

February 9, 2013 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. brian scavo

i know you brother from his law school days, met you years ago , best of luck to you Chris.

February 9, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Carol Harris

Your storm coverage last night was excellent!! Glad to see you at CNN, which means we'll be seeing a lot more of you than in the past. I'm a fan from way back.

February 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. marty yanes

He said "literally".

February 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. caesaro

Glad to see Cuomo on CNN

February 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Nana

Joke is a joke Trump. Even Orangutans laughed out loud.
    Do Trump's lawyers actually brains? Or all they see is $$$$$$$$

February 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Nana

Oops !
    Oops!

Joke is a joke, is a joke Trump. Even Orangutans laughed out loud.
    Do Trump's lawyers actually have brains? Or all they see is $$$$$$$$ ?

February 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply

February 10, 2013 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Maia

Mr Morgan,
    Are you going to investigate why the Pope is stepping down? He was fit enough to go to prison and pardon his butler for stealing some papers. What was in those papers that was worth exposing? Why did the courts want to silence the butler? In the olden days the butler would have been flogged to a perpetual silence, to protect the church of course.

How the Vatican built a secret property empire using Mussolini's millions

February 11, 2013 at 8:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Chellee Siegel

Chris Cuomo has always been a favorite with our whole family. He reports the news with "HEART" A real honest, sincere
    newsman. I wish him good luck with CNN.

February 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Debra DeWitt

Great idea to bring Chris Cuomo to CNN. He was under used at ABC and is much too talented for that. He is a huge asset for CNN. I look forward to watching him! We need more coverage on global warming and drastic weather news.

February 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. JOYCE

I really like Chris Cuomo, I find him very credible. I wish he would replace Piers Morgan. I certainly would watch if he did. I don't know who made the decision to bring Piers Morgan on.While I do agree with his stand on Gun Control, I question his sincerity, He is certainly an opportunist and frankly he isn't that good. I don't find that he has much talent, he is just a good self promoter in the vein of Donald Trump.

February 13, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chellee Siegel

Chris was wonderful last night, before and after the President spoke. He is "Home cookin" for some of us. A real sincere and honorable reporter. Chellee Siegel, Boca Raton, Fl.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Piers Morgan wrote:

> ** > JOYCE commented: "I really like Chris Cuomo, I find him very credible. > I wish he would replace Piers Morgan. I certainly would watch if he did. I > don't know who made the decision to bring Piers Morgan on.While I do agree > with his stand on Gun Control, I question his sincer" >

February 13, 2013 at 7:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chellee Siegel

Chris was wonderful last night before and after the Presidents address to the nation. He is "Home cookin" to some of us. Extremely trustworthy and sincere in his reporting.

February 13, 2013 at 7:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Anthony DeBiase

Chris,it was by accident that I saw you on CNN. I have been a follower of your TV reporting from day 1, I guess you might call me a fan, well good luck on your new job, I know you will do well. By way of introductions, I am Adam Lenain's Father in Law, I am sure you remember him.....ajd

February 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. CVB

Chris was indeed pretty good at the SOTU. Not sure yet if it was all him or just a brilliance in contrast to that opportunistic bore, Piers Morgan.
    I like level headed, thoughtful anchors like Fareed Z, Erin B, Candy C and John King regardless of which side of the aisle they tend to be on. Piers, Soledad and recently Anderson too have become so boring.

February 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MoMo

Anderson will NEVER be boring. Soledad EGADS get rid of her, seriously. She couldn't act and she sure can't report or maybe it's bad acting?

February 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. D.Padker

Have loved you since your GMA days. Will now resume watching you on CNN. ABC made a big mistake with their treatment of you, really don't like George on GMA

February 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. MoMo

never heard of Chris Cuomo before. Really enjoyed his perspective on cruise ship reporting. I kept saying to hubby, who is this guy, he's terrific. Can we do a good riddance to Pearce, seriously! Will watch Chris regularly. May even make CNN my #1 but not yet.

February 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. former New Yorker

I was sitting in the Midwest back in my hometown of Chicago and saw Chris Cuomo on CNN. I was so happy to see his interview on the storm and the following days on the cruise ship disaster. He was quick on his feet and New York grown sense of humor, intellect and fast on his feet. I found him egoless which made him accessible and approachable. You would like him sitting in your living room he is just right out there with heart, empathy and authentic. He has a nice calming voice, not screeching or phony, and his roundedness sounds a bit like his father when he gave the great 1984 speech. Maybe because he is Italian his heart comes through and earthy. He talked 'TO" us on TV as a friend in any hometown USA and not "AT" us. I hope he is on with his own show at night prime time, Please. CNN needs him and the gravitas he brings.

February 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Bobbi Caspariello

My hsband and I are happy to Chris Cuomo on CNN. We switched fom our normal routine to wach him last night and came back tonight and will continue to do. We are 80 & 70 years old. We appreciate "younger points of view". Good luck Chris. Bobbi & Jack

February 15, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. G

I'm certainly not a fan of super liberal CNN but with Chris Cuomo joining the network I may be forced to watch your network. Of course though only his show or when he's reporting. Great addition to your team.

February 16, 2013 at 8:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Phil

Great job last night from Chicago. Solid reporting.

February 16, 2013 at 8:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Manno

The guy is rude. He told a girl who was on the Carnival Cruise Lines to act more enthusiastic or laugh or something, when she was trapped on the ship still. She was being very informative to CNN, and this guy just was sarcastic. What a tool.

March 19, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Chellee Siegel

So sorry you feel that way, but please don't be so hasty to judge. This "Guy" is one on the most sensitive and sincere reporters I have seen. I have watched him for years. He really feels a persons pain. It is in his face.

March 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Manno

I see no reaction but cold, steely stares.

June 24, 2013 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply