Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 21st, 2013

Jimmy Carter on "Argo": "It’s a great drama, and I hope it gets the Academy Award for best film because I think it deserves it"

Coming up tonight at 9, Piers Morgan welcomes Jimmy Carter for an engaging, and entertaining, face to face interview.

Seated together in San Diego, the former commander in chief offers his unique insight and perspective on the motion picture "Argo," an Oscar-nominated film that's based on actual events occurring during his presidency:

"Let me say first of all, it’s a great drama, and I hope it gets the Academy Award for best film because I think it deserves it," says Carter.

Citing one key discrepancy in the film, the former United States president makes a point to offer some just praise for America's neighbors to the north:

"The other thing that I would say was that 90 percent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian," notes the 88-year-old. "The movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA. And with that exception, the movie's very good."

Noting that Tony Mendez, the man portrayed by actor/director Ben Affleck, had a rather minimal role in the in the actual incident, the guest reveals whom he feels was the most important protagonist in the real life story:

"The main hero, in my opinion, was Ken Taylor who was the Canadian ambassador who orchestrated the entire process," reveals Carter. "I was informed about it the first day, and I was very much involved with the Canadian government because the Canadian government would not legally permit six false passports to be issued. So the Canadian parliament had to go into secret session the first time in history, and they voted to let us use six Canadian passports that were false."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 for the full interview, as Carter further details the roles that America and Canada each played in setting the events in motion for an incident that served as the guide for a film which, come Sunday, may be crowned best of the year.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Lynn in Canada

My thanks to Mr. Carter for making it known that 90 per cent of the credit belongs to the Canadians, and especially to the Canadian ambassador, Ken Taylor, who saved the American hostages. I hope Mr. Affleck will show as much respect in his Oscar acceptance speech. Very impressed with Mr. Carter. Good show, Mr Morgan.

February 21, 2013 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • quagmire

Agreed. Thank you Canada!

February 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • EJ

I'm glad he gave Canada the praise it deserves too, but I wouldn't hold my breath about Ben Affleck.

February 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Me

Ben Affleck, in his Oscar speech last night, gave a very excited thank you to Canada. If it's good enough for Ken Taylor, it's good enough for me.

February 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

Well said Lynn, but don't wait for Afleck to throw out too much praise to Canada...sadly, he's already denied most of Canada's involvment to sell the movie to the American public...good movie though.

February 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Clyde Bridger

I am also from Canada and I agree with you Lynn completely. Well said!

When it comes to true life stories, I object to the degree of 'Artistic License' a lot of directors take. I believe they should stick to the facts and not construe the truth to make one person, or one nation, look better than another because of their own biases. If this were a fictional story, he could have done whatever he wanted and nobody would give a damn. But this is a real story that affected real people, so he should have stuck to the facts.
      Personally, I would be more interested in watching a true factual story, knowing that it really happened that way, rather than being left with the feeling that some facts were twisted here in this movie and what would the real story have been like, if it were told accurately!

If nothing else, directors should do a more thorough research of the stories before putting them into movies, and give respect where respect is due!

February 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pjPonzo

Why should Taylor receive any praise. He held the American for just a little over a year. It was clearly that CIA agent, mendez, who spent almost two entire days in Iran.

February 27, 2013 at 6:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sheila Benford

Amen Lynn.

February 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • george milton

Giving Piers credit for a good interview with Jimmy Carter is like giving an organ grinders monkey credit for the good music.

ANYONE can interview former President Carter AND look good because the man is legendary. Fact he didn't get a second term is only because the Republicans manipulated the Iran and Oil situation to make him look bad and send us down the road we have now arrived at. Much worse off for having voted in a Bush to replace that great and honorable man.

April 8, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • nyborn2013

Hostages.

April 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steve MacLeod

I remember that time in American politics. Carter refused to campaign. I think he said He would not leave the Rose garden until the hostages were released. Seems the voters made their choice. It is also true some things done by the new administration re oil , Iran's revolution and and a group know as the Contras.

April 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rebecca's News and Entertainment

Reblogged this on Rebecca's News & Entertainment and commented:
    I watched this interview and it was quite entertaining

February 22, 2013 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Linda from Canada

I was impressed with President Carter, he appeared very sincere, candid and honest. I thought it was an excellent interview and my thanks to him for giving credit to the Canadian ambassador for saving the American hostages.

February 22, 2013 at 2:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Cyruses Soluki

Dear Piers, Jason Kurtz, as much as I agree with you about the depth of this film, and that it possibly deserves nomination for Academy Award and the heroism of the US and Canadian Embassy staff for dealing with the dangerous Farsi speaking terrorists whom nationality are still unknown . I comment as follow : I wished the film also showed that the Princess Farah Pahlavi attending many hospitals of infectious diseases on weekly bases particularly kissing many women with leprosy in front of doctors and nurses to give the patients the confidence that they will be taken care of and hope they will get better, but instead film falsely showed that the Princess was bathing in milk, etc… how untrue these were , these have to be the biggest lies by the followers of the current regime who were taken part in this film thus fooling the producer and director and other actors, by false information, it was obvious that the terrorists who occupied the Embassy were group of non Iranian terrorists, also I can assure you that day must be recorded as one of the saddest day in Iranian history and for us as “the true Iranians”. Therefore, I feel the producers and directors of “Argo” made one very big mistake by not researching enough about Iranians, and the Iranian History, nor talking in depth with educated Iranians prior to making the film, please note, well educated Iranians are very well known all over the United State who are resident in this great country and particularly in California, however, still not too late, please arrange and meet with Prince Reza and Princess Farah Pahlavi with appointments, I am sure, you and your viewers will benefit to find out about truth of Shah life and real Pahlavi dynasty and not get excited by what you have been told by the beneficiaries of this terrorist non’Iranian regime who have taken 70million Iranians as true hostages for the last 34 years .

February 22, 2013 at 3:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

Oh would you just shut the F*& up!

February 25, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • What in the world is going on ?

All this gibberish in just two poorly constructed sentences. Wow !

February 25, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Elliot

Elitist Jimmy Carter says does not have a need for a "Assault Rifle" (modern Sporting rifle)
    He is right! He doesn't have a need for one because the secret service that is assigned to him for life carries these weapons for him on our tax dollar. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

February 22, 2013 at 3:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ee

It's unbelievable that former Presidents are protected by the secret service? Welcome back from under your rock.

February 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Me

This. Yes. :)

February 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

What so "unbelievable" about it Ellitt? ALL ex-presidents get secret service protection, whether they want it or not. It's a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY. Try to think with your brain rather than another body part, for once.

February 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Howard's Daddy

Heck, even wannabe presidents get secret service detail. At least until the winner is declared.

February 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • thematureone

What is unbelievable is how low is your IQ. The whole conversation here is about a great story and how our Canadian friends helped us in a very much needed situation. You ignore all that and your only concern is your assault weapon and why a president is protected by the secret service. You are the reason they need protection.

February 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Whaaaaaa !!!!

Stupid argument of the day !

February 25, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

modern Sporting rifle....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAA

February 26, 2013 at 9:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • nyborn2013

There us little or no need for assault rifles being owned by American citizens. They are military weapons, and unless you are in the military, no American should have one.

April 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Shawn

I am Canadian and during the Iranian crisis I was 11 yrs old. At the time the story was highlighted on Canadian news media, and we were very proud of our role. Over the years the real story has become diluted and forgotten. Exposure to the American version of the the incidents and now the Argo version of the events have caused me to question my youthful version of these memories. President Carter was at the forefront of this incident and has reaffirmed my memory that Canadian diplomats were pivotal in freeing many of these potential hostages. Nice interview.

February 22, 2013 at 5:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • randy

Tanks to our neighbors in the great white north.Great job canucks.Typical American though trying to take all the credit.Humble is not in the American politicians vocabulary. I am sure the American families of those rescued will NEVER FORGET what their Canadian Brothers did for them.

February 26, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. One L

I graduated high school that year, it was quite a tense time!! – everyone tuned into Nightline to get the latest news

February 22, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. soulcatcher

I remember yellow ribbons on every tree in my city at the time.

February 22, 2013 at 8:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Steve MacLeod

I was in California at the time and as a Canadian it was a real treat. The newspapers tv news and even older Americans. showed their appreciation. After the bill was paid my cousins and I were leaving the table. An older man interrupted our discussion asking if I was Canadian. I told him yes. He said that He wanted to thank me for what your people had done for us. I told him you are welcome. The exact words fade into the past but he was genuine in his honest appreciation. My respect for America in my early 20's blossomed All over America they were saying thank you Canada. My respect for America only wavered during Bush Jr's. invasion of Iraq but that is another story.,

February 22, 2013 at 10:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Brian

Thanks for the great interview Messrs. Morgan and Carter. Every time I see President Carter speak, it confounds me as to why he was only given one term in office. President Carter, you are the real deal.

February 22, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike Wiggins

Hi Brian. I agree with you.

It is not only amazing that Mr. Carter was not re-elected, but that this occurred when the Democrats were in the majority in the House and the Senate. One of the problems was that the House and the Senate would not support the President (especially Tip O'Neil and his cronies).

But to be fair to the critics, the damage was truly done during the attempted rescue of the Iranian hostages. When the aircraft accidents occurred at night in the Iranian desert and the rescuers were forced to turn around, Mr. Carter's fate was sealed. I remember my father (a former Army officer) saying that for an operation like that one was, you never, EVER send in only what is minimally needed. You MUST expect casualties (as there were) and therefore send in a force at LEAST twice or three times as large as what you think you need.

February 25, 2013 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Me

Out of all of the things one could comment about this piece, "Elliot" chooses talking about assault rifles when neither the clip nor the written text make reference to this at all.

::shakes head::

February 22, 2013 at 10:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ee

But Jimmy Carter wants to take his guns away!

February 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Me

PS: I thought Argo was a fantastic film & am thrilled to hear President Carter's views on it & the hostage crisis itself.

February 22, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. tara

I'm Canadian, and I remember the discussion when we learned that Hollywood was making a movie about this event. (This was a few years ago.) I said, "Oh please, the Americans will be the only heroes. If Canadians are mentioned at all, we'll either be useless cowards or it'll be a blink-and-you'll-miss-it-situation." And I was right. Didn't expect them to bash the Brits and New Zealanders, though.

February 22, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Me

I disagree. I don't believe the Canadians were portrayed in that way at all. In fact, I thought & still think of how incredibly brave & wonderful the Canadians were. They're not cowards & they're not blink-and-you'll-miss-it. Did you even watch the movie?!

February 22, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • John Smith

Well, I did watch the movie and it was a travesty. It implied that Ken Taylor was reluctant to extend protection to the Americans at one point and completely downplayed their involvement. It also bashed the New Zealanders and Brits in an absolute lie which they were justifiably furious about. As a pure entertainment vehicle I would say the movie was "okay," but the fact that Affleck felt compelled to fabricate and exaggerate the U.S. involvement in order to sell it is a sad commentary on the industry. And it's an even sadder commentary on his personal ethics to continue to distort the truth in interview after interview. The man has no shame.

February 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. w l jones

Everybody in my hometown new of about Mr. Carter long before he were govern not to mention president a man man of his word. My president. Bless you Sir and your family.

February 22, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Steve- Illinois

Why doesn't the great Piers Morgan inter view a couple of the hostages that sat for over 400+ days while Carter scratched his head, wondering what to do? 30 years later and the libs are still trying to make Carter relevent.

February 22, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Me

He was the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES during an international conflict. How much more relevant does he need to be for you?! Jesus.

While I don't disagree that an interview with one of more of the hostages would have been nice, who's to say Mr. Morgan didn't? Perhaps they declined. Perhaps they'd rather not rehash. Or maybe Mr. Morgan was thinking, "Orrrrr ... I could interview a FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES."

Good God, some people just don't get it.

Also, I'm so thrilled that you apparently know all of the details of the situation much more than anyone else. Maybe Mr. Morgan should have interviewed you since you're so obviously privy to all the goings on at the time.

February 22, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Steve- Illinois

Apparently I know much more about it than you do. You're comments are so naive to the actual situation, that it's laughable. So glad you were "thrilled" to hear his views on this disaster of diplomacy.

February 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • randy

Wouldn't it be nice if America was TRULY the symbol of freedom and seen by the world as an honest arbitrator standing for integrity like it was in Carters term.Look at where we are now.Yet nut jobs like clueless joe there says Carter was irrelevant. Oh how I miss Jimmy Carter and HONESTY

February 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • randy

Clueless steve left no spot to comment so just wanted to his shyness know the mission was a military rescue mission not a diplomatic mission. Diplomacy did not work because unlike your crook Reagan, President Carter was NOT willing to SELL (give away) weapons to people who killed and kidnapped Americans.His integrity would not allow him to trade weapons for hostages.Something Reagan decided to do before he was even officially President.The hostages were released during Reagans innauguration COINCIDENCE? BULLCRAP

February 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

I don't know what they could add to the topic under discussion. They weren't part of the Canadian Caper.Carter takes a lot of heat for the Iranian hostage situation but there was not a lot he could have done that he didn't try. It was half way around the world in a sea of enemy states and times were different. The US military wasn't prepared for that type of rescue and they were dealing with an obstinate group of religious fanatic. Even the Israelis would not have attempted that kind of operation . He did finally get them all back alive and that is to his credit even if the sacrifice was his second term. frankly you are just looking for an argument and you may think you know what you are talking about but it is you that are naive to believe that Carter or the US could have resolved the situation earlier without significant loss of life.

February 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • beasly3b

The only reason the hostages were released was because Carter loss the election. President-Elect Reagan stated that if the hostages were not released when he took office. The Americans were coming to get them. The hostages were released as soon as President Reagan took his oath of office. We had 15 percent interest rates on our home loans and 20 percent interest rates on credit cards and we had 5-6 hour gas lines. Yeah, Carter was a great President. LOL. Much better ex-President, since he had no more power to mess things up worse.

February 25, 2013 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
      • randy

As I recall it was the crook Reagan who got them released as he was being inaugurated. Remember he traded weapons and jets for the hostages.That is simply what happened a duck is a duck is a duckkk.Carter had integrity.Reagan never met a deal he did not like as long as HE looked good.

February 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pat

Your interview with former president Carter was super. Carter is a class act, as well as you.

Piers, on another matter: Please view the tape of this show: Sunday 11am EST, GPS Show with Fareed Zakara. He interviewed former Australian Prime Minister John Howard. The Hon. Howard got a ban on assalt guns and high capacity clips and other gun controls for Australia. He faced great oposition but the commonsense citizens won out. The interview was on eye-opener. You should get copies and send them to every congressmen!

February 22, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • randy

Pass all the laws you want.Which is not going to happen anyways because it will do NO GOOD. Millions of decent American citizens are NOT going to just turn in their weapons. We have a RIGHT to BEAR ARMS. That is non negotiable. I bet if they did outlaw firearms if the government survives all the rioting and chaos in time you will just see more advanced weapons or explosives. The unfortunate people who hear the evil voices in their head will still hear them they will just tell him to poison the water instaed. Your heart is in the right place but banning guns Will NOT stop the VIOLENCE.

February 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Canadian

I am a Canadian and remember when this event happened. I remember feeling especially pround of our involvement. I knew that the Americans would make out that they were the heros and the ones who took the risk when in actuallity they played a very small role in getting the americans out. I was quite impressed with your interview with Jimmy Carter and was impressed that he told the truth. I was disappoined that the americans put such a spin on their role, taking all the credit. I recently read articles written by some of the americans involved. Like Jimmy Carter, they have also said that it was the Canadians that took all the risk. One forgets that the Canadian embassy sheltered and took great risks hiding them and keeping them safe untl they could get out of the country and they did this for more than 1 and a half days. Thank Mr Carter and Piers for putting the credit where it belongs, with the Canadian government, without their involvement, the Americans would have be caught and not have gotten out. I hope that Ben Aflect, if he wins the oscar to extend an appreciated "than you" to the real heros of this story, The CANADIAN GOVERNMENT.

February 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. sam

The Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor has been revealed to be a CIA Station chief.

February 23, 2013 at 2:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kerry

Regardless... he is still Canadian (born in Calgary).

February 23, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Phil

He was a "de facto" station chief but only after the Canadian Caper when at Carters request he continued to provide the CIA with information and actively worked on the failed Delta Force operation in Iran. The CIA had no ground presence and relied heavily of the Canadians for intelligence through out the crisis. It actually makes his contribution even more significant as he would have received a death sentence if caught. He wasn't an American spy who became a Canadian ambassador he was an ambassador who continued to provide aid and intelligence to an ally during a crisis. Big difference

February 23, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. sue

I thought it was a great film, but it was a movie, made for entertainment, and the line "based on a true story" should make people realize that it is not meant to be a true and accurate account of the events. It was disappointing, however, that the role of Mr. Taylor was so downplayed in the film.

February 23, 2013 at 9:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Isaac

I think historical movies should try to be as accurate as possible. They will never be perfect, because they need to create some dramatic effect. But otherwise you are kind of rewriting history.

Far more people will watch the movie Argo than will ever read about the hostage crisis in a history book, and that will shape their interpretation of what really happened. This is the case with a lot of Hollywood movies – a lot.

We must not let Hollywood and mass media water down history, they should stick to the truth.

February 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • society watch

Thank you for your comments. I agree that films representing historical events should aim for maximun factual accuracy unless there is a disclaimer at the beginning of the film confirming that the film is a piece of fiction. The facts related to the hostages harbored in the Canadian embassey were readily available for Mr. Affleck and he chose to ignore them. That speaks to the dimished value he places on truth and honesty. You are so right about Holloywood!

February 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karina

You find movies about terrorism entertaining ...., unbelievable.!!!!

February 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. jonaty

I guess Carter's brain is riddled with memory issues...his leadership was one of the worst and most embarrassing times for the USA. Time will tell if Obama ends up making Carter look good by comparison.

February 23, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Not Bad

The actual story behind this is the Canadian Parliament secretly creating six false passports. Without that, there would be no Argo or CIA mission. Although it doesn't sound as dramatic, it was a very big deal for Parliament to have a secret session, and to agree to create false passports. A lot of people were highly opposed to it.

Argo was a good movie, but they left out the biggest part of the whole story. Ken Taylor's role was also very understated.

February 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Uncle Bill

Watch out Mr. former President, the Republicans will come after you for leaking top secret information.

February 24, 2013 at 2:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Michael

The sad truth is that most average Americans get their historical news from movies and the disclaimer "based on a true story" does nothing for the average Joe to doubt the facts as depicted in the movie. Americans are very good at going in guns blazing and creating conflict, but fail miserably at making peace, those few Presidents (like Carter) that have tried, are remembered as weak and ineffectual. Ergo -> Argo – Arrogance!

February 24, 2013 at 2:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. nytw

Amazing that liberals are so stupid they can't tell the difference between fact and fiction.

February 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • societywatch

Why must you rely on personal attacks and generalizations in your attempt to make a point?

February 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Bill Reno

I was travelling in the U.S. on business after the hostages were freed and the story of the Canadian help came out. I wore a small, suitably discreet Canadian flag lapel pin whenever I wore a jacket and it was very gratifying how many Americans recognized the pin, came up to me and thanked me (as if I had freed the hostages personally!) I found Americans to be very, very generous in their thanks and I had more than one drink bought for me. I was even applauded at a bar when someone announced, "There's a Canadian in the house!" I hope that generosity of spirit shows itself again in future discussions about Argo, which I thought was an exciting film, despite its historical inaccuracies..

February 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Bill

I am a Canadian, currently in the US on a short stopover before returning to Vancouver. I watched former President Jimmy Carter on CNN. I appreciated his comments re Argo - great film, but lacks in historical veracity. I agree with the comment that a historical film should stick with historical facts. I do recognize, however, that some liberty is necessary to make the movie profitable.

The next night, I watch the CNN moderator interview their movie expert on the controversy. Response from the expert: emphatic statement that it does not matter - Canada is too small and inconsequential. The moderator tried to cover for the expert's flippant response by saying he liked Canada.

What appalled me was that CNN is a news agency that should attempt to present events in as factual a manner as possible. The expert made no attempt to answer the question.

Whereas Jimmy Carter had passion and principles, the expert only had passion!

February 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Jan from Canada.

Thank you President Carter for speaking out about the real facts on how the Canadians, Ken Taylor and others helped get the Americans out of Iran. Did anyone hear George Clooney's comments tonight at the Oscars. He needs a history lesson too! Disappointing!!!!

February 25, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Hugh in Canada

Kudos to Piers for this revealing interview, which those who missed it will be advised to listen to or read in its entirety.

On Oscar night it seemed that many of those making the movie "Argo" appeared to have been brainwashed into believing that CIA was responsible for saving the hostages.

In actual fact, the CIA man (Mendes) was simply a brief (1.5 days) late visitor to Iran, and the major players in the operation were Ambassador Taylor and staff at the Canadian Embassy, The Canadian Government taking the risk of authorizing false passports, and families of Embassy staffers who hosted some of the hostages at risk to their lives.

We must surely believe that Affleck and Clooney were told by their researchers the Mendez book did not square with history, and their "avoidance" of that truth must be deliberate. They have certainly been told the truth many times over the past year, including in a meeting with Ambassador Taylor, who lives in New York today.

Motive? Why do I believe that they concealed the truth? Was it due to their desire to maximize movie earnings from gullible US moviegoers, who enjoy being fed the nostrum that the US is always powerful, and successful?

IMHO their self-image image is as the good guy in western movies wearing a white hat...and they will flock to see movies that depict this.

Although I am usually a strong defender of the US, I find this a tawdry episode (as clearly does Jimmy Carter, an honest man)

February 25, 2013 at 8:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karina

well said and totally agree ..,

February 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. JFarris

"The other thing that I would say was that 90 percent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian..." which includes Carter not giving last minute approval for the plane tickets. Those were actually purchased by the ambassador's wife. This movie was Hollywood's gift to Carter and the remaking of his horrible presidency. This movie played amazing well but when I read the actual events after seeing the film I felt completely insulted. The real story could have made an amazing movie but would have required real directing and writing skill.

February 25, 2013 at 10:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thor

All true JFarris, but who would you rather cater to? The American public's dollars or the Canadian public's dollars? Millions more to be made by back patting the Yanks...they managed to hood-wink the good people to the south in the name of dollars. Disgusting.

February 25, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Gordie

Sorry , but Affleck and Clooney were not up to the task to deliver a good movie , they certainly are not in the same league as Spielberg and Lee and should have neverwon.
    I hope that somebody will remake this movie based on the real events.We owe it to all those brave Canadians , Brits and NewZealanders and of course the Americans.

February 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve MacLeod

Like I said to an older man who thanked me personally in a restaurant. in California 1980. You are welcome. This was done by many of his countrymen all over the nation. I had not done anything personally. PS Hollywood is not the average American. Argo won best pictures as voted by members of the community. It is shame that young Americans may never know the truth.

February 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. BostonDan

The biggest "discrepancy" in the film was committed by Jimmy himself. He took credit for the release of all the hostages, and stated that it was without the loss of life. A compete lie. 8 service me died as a result of the ill-fated "Eagle Claw" rescue attempt that Ol' Jimmah seems to forget. Also, it was not a coincidence that the hostages were released after Ronald Reagan won the presidency. Carter was the worst president of my lifetime, and is a disgrace as an ex-president. He "won" a Nobel prize in large part to his perceived success with a North Korean visit. Shortly after he won it, the North Koreans bragged about how easy it was to play him for a fool. He did not give the prize back nor, to my knowledge, ever admit he made a mistake.

February 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Tatjana

So this movie was chosen best picture for it's entertainment value , as it certainly didn't abide by the truth of the real events.
    Affleck and Clooney didn't have the honesty and integrity to actually make this a factual movie , they re-wrote history to attract a larger viewing audience which means more money.
    Have People become so dumb and desensitized that they seek entertainment instead of knowledge in movies about terrorism.
    Tell that to the people around the world who have lost loved ones or the lucky ones that survived.

February 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. David Rutledge

Piers, the onus seems to be on you to emphasize for Americans the honest facts surrounding the fictional Argo and its diminishment of the Canadian heroic involvement. My evaluation of Ben Affleck has ben struck a serious blow that will likely never recover. Argo: an exciting film if one doesn't know the truth, and if one does, just American self-centered crap promoted as history. Puke.

February 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Ron

It's all about the money and absolutely nothing else. The truth about the hostage situation in Iran is lying somewhere in
    the middle of all this mess but like most movies based on true events the majority of most movie goers will never know
    where it's at.

February 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Budhi

I didn't hear any mention of George Bush Sr. being the head of the CIA during this crisis. Magically we had Iran-Contra not soon after this (hostage crisis), where by Iran received millions in weapons (as a trade off for holding the hostages long enough to undermine Carter's presidency). It has been widely reported that George Bush negotiated around Carter, so (magically once again) they are released on Reagan's inauguration day.

February 26, 2013 at 3:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Mike

Of all the TV talking faces, why is JC going with such a clownish muck-raker as Piers? I'd like to hear what Pres Carter has to say but will not dial in to that particular "journalist"...

February 26, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Logic

We always sing the Canadian anthem at the hockey games. North America rules....(yeah Mexico too...)

February 26, 2013 at 9:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. LEO THE DUTCHMAN

Yes I am a Dutch-Canadian , I think that many Americans who write scripts have a minority complex . That's why they lie ,
    to make up .Lucky for the rest of the world there are also honest Americans. Like Mr. Carter etc.and Mr. Obama .

February 26, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Captain kirk

Piers thanks for leading us to the truth. President Carter, an honest politician...America just doesn't realize it. Great leaders are humble....he gives all the credit to others . Why does Ben and Hollywoodnhave to rewrite history? Why does America need to be led down a path of fiction? Is the truth that bad? Why do video games re-write the history of wwii? American forces were not involved in many of the battles that video games now portray (italy). If you want to be a superpower, have the humility to follow the truth, you will have more credibility than you know what to do with.

March 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. ronjayaz

President Carter wrote in one of his books abt the treachery involved between the candidate Reagan & his attempt to take advantage of Carter's failure to free the captives who were immediately freed after Carter lost. And then we got Bubble Head who had to have already been afflicted with Alzheimer's. Amerika has a dirty, dirty political history.

March 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Edward Dongres

ronjayaz, you said: ""Amerika has a dirty, dirty political history""
    'Specially saving British and French asses in both World Wars. And Helping Europeans even in piddly affair like the Balkans recently.

March 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. damminit

so.........................................since he has failed or 1/2 azzed everything else he has tried,he now trys to predict movies...

April 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Steam Keygen

Good day! I have truly liked looking through your blog especially this article. You can find only a few online marketers which check out the hard work to really posting high quality material in this way. In any event . you could have your innovative, faithful visitor! Cheers

June 26, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Karen

I appreciate your work , thankyou for all the interesting posts .

October 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. soilanciell

の深刻なタイプでも保険会社によって作成された紛争に関連する問 [url=http://artegenital.com/wp-content/newbalance.php]ニューバランス イングランド[/url] 債務collectors.Startに対処するための最高のヒ [url=http://www.baixaraplicativosparaandroid.com/edifice-c-31.html]EDIFICE blog[/url] ていないためのテレンスと彼女の子供で彼女の怒り。 彼は彼女自 [url=http://www.biimmo.com/]MBT 通販[/url] して、またはオンラインでそれらの様々な商業サービスプロバイダ [url=http://www.dfzk120.com/category-5.html]財布 ランキング メンズ[/url] あなたのように進行、ゆっくり怪我を防ぐために、アームとベスト [url=http://www.minicrusaders.com/citizen-c-1.html]シチズン腕時計 メンズ[/url] 私たちはしばしば、インターネットスパマーからのスパムメールを我々はについての意識を高めることに課題を認識 病気のほとんど

November 28, 2013 at 2:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. In Home Personal Training Long Island

I loved Argo! I can't believe that Ben Affleck wrote it. It was a great story and this post is motivating me to watch the movie again. I also want to give thanks for the Canadian gov't for taking such a risk on a mission like this. They are certainly our friends.

CNN keep the posts coming

December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Cyruses

Dear Piers , Ask Mr. Carter "why did he against all American wishes supported the religious revolutionaries the "terrorist Ayatollahs" in Iran, which subsequently causing millions of young Iranians to die, more than 50,000 executed, more than 250.000 of young men and women political prisoner, killing thousands Americans by terrorists activities, supporting every terrorist organizations in the world, Why?, why did he act without the American Congress approval, was it because he was the wrong man for the job, if this regime stays beyond June 2013 no one in the world will be safe, most of them Iranians, these murderers who are running Iran are not religious men they do not believe in any religious, they wish death to the world, to true Iranians, the Americans, Europeans and Israelite, Christians, and other Muslim nations and people!,. story goes on.... Carter has to say sorry to millions of professional Iranians who are now scattered all over the world, apparently Iranians are the most successful immigrants known in the world. Carter destroyed Iran and the Iranian Nation but we will get our Country back and send all these murderous pre_ historic regime back to Syria before they destroy the world" .

February 23, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse | Reply