Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 22nd, 2013

Pistorius' friend on alcohol being banned as part of his bail: "I don't think that he is a major drinker, or that he does drink a lot"

On the heels of Friday's ruling that Oscar Pistorius could be released on bail, this evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" invites Kevin Lerena to share his reaction to some of the additional details coming out of the South African courtroom.

A close friend of the disgraced Paralympian, Lerena responded to learning that as part of Pistorius' agreement, he must abstain from drinking:

"He's a normal human being. We go out, we have fun," says the guest of his friend, a fellow South African. "As a person, he's never, ever, in my company, has alcohol changed his personality, or changed him as a person. Never around me has he ever changed in any way, when having alcohol in his system, at any time."

Noting that Lerena is confirming that Pistorius does drink, a detail that contradicts prior statement's by the sprinter's own attorney, Piers Morgan follows up:

"Would you say that the reality is he would have alcohol, just not to excess?"

"That's obviously something that he'd do in his private time, or his off time," says Lerena, of Pistorius drinking. "He's definitely not a person that goes out, and goes to clubs, and that type of thing. He's a very homely person that spends a lot of time with his friends, so, I don't think that he is a major drinker, or that he does drink a lot."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 for in-depth legal analysis of the Pistorius case from both Alan Dershowitz and Gloria Allred, as well as an up to date report from the ground in South Africa.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Tonight" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Maree. L Meehan

Remember the O j Simpson case. The. Theory was crime of passion is this not very similar. There is the main victim here Reeva and also the two families. Hope justice will be served with dignity and respect to the families.

February 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. jimminey Cricket

"On the heels of Friday's ruling" <-- Really CNN... ;)

February 22, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Eiliot

Piers defends a guy that blindly shoots through a door. and kills his girlfriend LOL
    Piers must also defend the LA cops that blindly shot the paper delivery ladies during the manhunt for Dormer.
    Sure dont see these criminal actions being a topic and his dwindling rated show.

Wake up Piers its not the guns! It is the criminal actions of those using them to commit crimes. Lawful citizens do not shoot at noises without personally identifying a life endangering threat. We dont run out and shoot off our shotgun outside when we here a bump in the night as VP Biden recommends.

February 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. jk

Wrt the OP story. Thank you for introducing the broader social story. So vital.

Judge Desmond Nair was so thorough because of his social context.

He wanted all strata of South African society to understand why he allowed bail so there would not be social unrest related to the decision. North American people might be interested to learn of the energetic women's movement in South Africa calling for NO BAIL for men who are violent to women and children (and men with glasses). Many men now arrested in South Africa for such violence are not given bail as a result of this movement and there are those in South Africa who would say that OP got bail because of his privileged white position and wealthy lawyer. I would say that is true but also that he is unlikely to pose a stealthy further risk to more people.

I think the Judge took the time to do an excellent job of highlighting DREADFUL POLICING (here I would wish to underscore and write in bold 'Dreadful Policing') problems in South Africa, and I think North American media could do a helpful job of compelling the SA government to take active interest in the problem.
    By running it, South African media would definitely be more motivated to embarrass the government.

I can understand why OP wouldn't yell or make a noise – it can be a mistake – but I cannot see why he wouldn't nudge her/grab her and back rapidly out to a safe place (maybe with gun) since there was an avenue of escape. Who the hell wants to go forward into a potential face-to-face gunfight?

However, it is always much more complex when there is another person to think of and worry about other than self in the moment. It changes the dynamics a lot.

Having once fled in terror from a pounding to a bedroom (which I locked, thank god for iron bars on the windows) from a (white) South African man I would say – alcohol, alcoholic anger, and mental confusion.

Where are the trained motivated paid ZA POLICE? Could we ask?

February 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. SHW

First it was gun violence in America and now it is Blade runner's case day after day on Morgan's program. What his close friend supposed to say except he is a humble and respectful guy. The fact is he did kill his girl friend. It does not matter how wonderful he was before this tragic event and to have this two lawyers debating about this case is just unbelievable .
    Nobody know what really happened that night. That is why there is a trail. Got it, Morgan.

February 23, 2013 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Alwyn Kumst

The outcome can't be changed. He shot Reeva. I grew up in SA and carried a .45 When you wake in the middle of the night in a state of 'Fright or Flight' I often found myself somewhere in the house or the yard ready for action at such speed that I seldom recalled how I got there. But I know why I was there. People in SA are constantly at high tension levels because the crime rates are stupid. Twice I nearly shot family members who tried to surprise us at home. These instances left me shaking at the possible outcome of making a mistake like that. All those 'specilists' who say you should react in a predictable patern are just not in touch with reality. I was trained in the military. All the training in the world can only 'hope' for a predicted outcome. Each individual in a threatened or 'hightened ' situation responds very differently. In Oscars case it is very sad. Plausible. But the outcome is the same. He shot Reeva. Very sad indeed. Not all of us can get off like Dick Chaney!

February 23, 2013 at 12:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Lynn Hinkle

I was very frustrated with the show tonight and the lopsided approach Piers Morgan and his guests (mostly men) took in defending Oscar and his story of a burglar hiding in the toilet. Really? A burglar hiding in the toilet with the door locked? Only Gloria Allred attempted to raise the issue of domestic violence, and then she was dismissed. However, I went online and found information about Oscar's previous NIGHT IN JAIL for attacking a young woman in 2009. If I can find that so easily, why doesn't the research staff for Piers find it?
    Here's the link: http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/weeping-pistorius-denies-murdering-girlfriend-070151824.html

February 23, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mandy Rothman

Lynn, before you post a book please read your incorrect yahoo article which states Ms. Steenkamp was shot 4 times when, in fact, it was three. Even further, the article fails to state that in the 2009 incident Pistorius had asked the girl to leave his home (alcohol related). When she left he slammed the door and a piece of the door fell off hitting her. He never laid a finger on her. Charges were dropped.

February 24, 2013 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ibuknutz

why didnt he seek out his gf 1st? in their bed...or in the bathrm....why didnt she call out 1st in the bathrm?....

February 23, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jessica Benhamou

Shouldn't there have been some evidence of Pistorius ordering flowers/gift for Valentine's Day?

February 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. figureofull

Enviado desde mi HTC

March 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. figureofull

Eniado desde mi HTC

March 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. single chat

I'm still learning from you, while I'm trying to reach my goals. I definitely enjoy reading everything that is posted on your blog.Keep the posts coming. I loved it!

March 13, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Free chatline

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice practices and we are looking to exchange solutions with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

March 13, 2013 at 7:30 am | Report abuse | Reply