Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 12th, 2013

Valerie Harper's message: "Live the moment"

Tonight, Piers Morgan welcomed Valerie Harper for a primetime exclusive interview. The 73-year-old actress was recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer but the diagnosis hasn't deterred Harper from living out her life as best she can.

Harper said she's living out her life putting one foot in front of the other but explained she isn't very different from anyone else:

"We're all terminal. Every single one of us," Harper said. "None of us are getting out of this alive. I don't like to look at death, but accept that death is inevitable and leave it alone. Live the moment."

The actress said she's had a "magnificent run." She had a long career, including a TONY nomination just three years ago, and described her husband as "the most wonderful husband." "I really look at my life as blessed," Harper explained. "Sure, I have had challenges and terrible things happen and loss of dear people and all that, but I really think that if we had less fear and resistance like a stratified thing to death, life would be happier."

Watch the clip and listen to the interview as Harper tells the viewers to "Carpe Diem, seize the day."
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

1. Bob

Such a super and positive woman. It would be wonderful if she could recover, and possibly this amazing FDA approved treatment might be the answer.

March 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Eddie McKeon

Love to share with you abutt incedent @ the Duke and Caolina game that would make a great topic for you to discuss and show to keep peace between the two and others

March 12, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sandra mallette

All my love and prayers to Valerie Harper.

March 13, 2013 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. A. Thomas

God love you. As you live in the now, let you soul pant after the living God. The joy of Him right now is you strenght. I love u and will be praying for u daily from now on. Just ready your story. Peace

March 13, 2013 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Terri

Thank you so much Valerie. You are so brave. You are helping so many people! God Bless you. You are and will keep you in my prayers. Love, Terri

March 13, 2013 at 3:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. jan

Valerie Harper is on a crusade re: Med. insurance, mentioning universal health care- PERFECT LEGACY MS HARPER!!! what Americans don't understand, is the fact that here, in Canada, Tommy Douglas, political leader grandfather and geat grandfather of the great actors Donald and his son Kiefer Sutherland, fought through his own Parliamentary career for the idea of a simple, workable medical system for ALL our walks of life. He stood to lose credibility, as a politician, regarding this "radical" view but fought and won over the people of Canada in what was indeed a mark of brilliance! The change was overnight and although we are suffering from "brain-drain" of late, [thanks u.s.,] the system itself, has worked flawlessly for decades! Valerie is so righteous in her crusade, why won't your politicians even consider the wisedom of developing a system such as we and England and all other commonwealths practice? Is it some sort of ridiculous political pride-Are they cutting their own noses off to spite YOUR faces? How much $ are you people willing to lose over stupidity? As many times as this issue has arised, your Gov't has shot it down, for fear of actually spending A SINGLE DOLLAR ON YOUR PERSONAL MEDICAL NEEDS- REDICULOUS!!! Move to Canada!
    LOVE, LOVE , LOVE to VALERIE, as Dylan says, "just remember, death is not the end-"... S!ee you on the flip side! Jan

March 13, 2013 at 5:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Theresa

Tommy Douglas is Kiefer Sutherland's maternal grandfather. He is father to Kiefer's mother, actress Shirley Douglas and ex father-in-law to Donald Sutherland.

March 16, 2013 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Gary Dixon

It was so inspireing listening to you last night on CNN. I am from the small fishing community of only 1500,in Woods Harbour, Nova Scotia ,Canada. We are going through such a rough time with the loss of 5 young men all younger that 30, in a heriffic commercial fishing accident, in a winter storm.,mid Feburary. Your interview, put some peice back in my sole. You are such a brave woman, what an outlook you have . What a woman you are.

March 13, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Stirling Design Associates, LLC

I am still crying tears of sadness and tears of joy after listening the Valerie tell of her journey. I've always loved her spirit. I especially was moved when she said she feels such a connection with all of us as she receives our love and receive hers. What a fabulous person. Julianne

March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. LindaG

Valerie you are a beautiful person, inside and out, and thank you for sharing such a personal issue with us. I hope you know how inspirational you are to us.

March 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Linle White

Valerie what a breath of fresh air you exude and even at 73, you are still very beautiful. What an inspiration you are to everyone on this planet.

March 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ron Yarborough

What a great person!...PRAYERS.

March 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Michael Coy

Valerie's Prayer
    The brave-break-through,
    From a woman very strong.
    Tells all that we'll
    Dedicate a brand new song.
    Her fans she made
    And her family that's kind.
    Valerie's Prayer
    Her love we cannot deny.
    Valerie's Prayers
    Your angels are watching over you.
    Those angels wings
    Are wings that will help us see this through.
    We never let go!
    Pray break-through happens somehow.
    Don't speak of death.
    Think of you being here now!
    We love you! I am a Vietnam Soldier and in 1969 you sent me a beautiful autograph picture of you and made me so very happy. I still have this to this day. I love you and I sign Romans 1:9. I enjoy your work and watch you all the time on Mary Tyler Moore show. Smile and remeber You R Loved!

March 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Akwabaa

... Wishing Valerie Harper welllb ... but also wished that Robin Roberts would come out 'clean' of her medical conditions...I sense in RR condition, there is something that's 'a hash, hash', I tell U ppl, there is something going on with RR .. maybe, the time she'd have to be with us? .... A lot clues, vives ... with a family member regarding RR's medical condition... alway watched her on GMA and my fave!!! ... but I do sincerely wish her well ... longevity ... she is still very YOUNG folks ... at 53 years!!!.

March 17, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Devin Benwell

Air purifiers are devices employed in homes and business all over the world. Due to the amount of dust etc indoors, air purifiers are used to clean and ‘purify’ the air inside the building, circulating it until it is free from unnecessary particles."

Most current article content on our own internet page
    <http://www.prettygoddess.com/