Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 13th, 2013

Rick Santorum: "The biggest problem with the Catholic Church is it's run by human beings"

As Catholics around the world celebrate a newly elected pope, this evening "Piers Morgan Live" invited Rick Santorum to share his reactions and insights to an event watched worldwide.

"I was teary-eyed when I saw," said the former Republic presidential candidate, in describing the first appearance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio now known as Pope Francis. "It's an incredibly moving moment, and to see the humility of this man – obviously, a man who is very much of the people, exactly as some of your commentators were saying – exactly what the Church needs right now, is someone who focuses on holiness, focuses on the mission of the Church which is to serve God, and serve His people here on Earth, and it seems like [that's] what Pope Francis has in mind."

Asked by Piers Morgan about the contrast of a new pope who's described by some as being progressive, as compared to an institution that's notoriously conservative, the man who achieved the historic "Santorum Sweep" detailed what he sees as some of the major concerns facing the famed religious establishment:

"What we're talking about here is the operation of the Church. The biggest problem with the Catholic Church is it's run by human beings," noted Santorum. "It's fallible in the sense that people in those organizations make mistakes and they do things the wrong way."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as the former presidential candidate and devout Catholic describes the new pope as being less of a "progressive conservative," and more of a "Christ-like leader."
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Anonymous

Rick Santorum is not a "man of the people" he is a neo-con conservative hell bent on making the united states a frothy mix of religion and state. I am appealed that CNN would have this man represent a religion of over 1.2 billion more qualified spokespersons, my dog included.

March 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sierra09

You are absolutely right! I protest his being on the show in the first place!

March 14, 2013 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • birdseye

I was raised in the church southern Baptist and to listen to Mr. Santorum speak about how Christ like his views are interesting to say the least.
        The first this the a lot of the so call christens need to remember is that Christ did not put his others down or degrade them to try to make them seem less important, he did no tell other to take up arm, and please show me in the bible were Christ wanted to make a law tell people what to do with there bodies except to except the farter. I am no bashing but I do say this there are those people that can talk a good game but when you peel back the cover as is this really what the bible say, because of the way that I was raised as a kid around the age from 14 to 21 I have read the bible cover to cover over 15 time to prepare for baptism and been counseled during this process. So the next time that someone say to you I know what the bible say as whose bible and when was the last time that you followed all of the teachings. THERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

March 14, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick Sanders

I am absolutely shocked at this guest. Are you CRAZY? Piers I have been on your side completely at every turn but Rick Santorum? I am absolutely sick to my stomach with this interview.

March 14, 2013 at 7:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Boomer

Christ like leader? He is just like the previous Pope. Hates gays, doesn't believe in birth control and calling adoption by same sec couples as child abuse or discrimination against children. Hopefully he can be a better administrator and get them out the financial mess they are in. The jury is still out on helping the poor.

March 14, 2013 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ROReilly

As a Catholic..i really dont want Santorium speaking for me. He represents, a small but I'll admit vocal, part of the Church as a whole. Many have gone away..and probably i should of as well, and sometimes what is left are the zealots (like Santorium. Until better times and more humility is practiced i will continue to object the neo-con points of view.that he espouses.
    I pray for our new Pontiff, Pope Francis.

March 14, 2013 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Anonymous

Santorum is going to "think about it " if the Pope decides condoms are OK to prevent disease? Santorum is so right wing I was shocked to hear he is a Catholic – shouldn't he be accepting the "infallibility of the Pope" that we Catholics are all taught? Most of us are less conservative – not more conservative than our Pope1 The guy's a big phoney. I do hope this new Pope is a little more realistic about the world today – the church needs to come into 2013 and let people marry who they love.

March 14, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sheryl

Santorum just did an avoidance maneuver tonight! When asked about people using condoms to avoid getting AIDS, he said, "It's the church's mission to save souls." We really need to know before this guy comes on TV what kind of birth control he and his wife use!

Then he claims the church should help the poor more instead of the government! That is a recipe for death to many million of people! The church couldn't afford to do what the government does for the poor! Santorum is sooo disgusting!

March 14, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Katherine

I thought Santorum did an awesome job representing the Catholic church!

March 14, 2013 at 1:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • michael

how so?

March 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dd Diane

Agree. The Catholic Church is not going to change on contraception, gay marriage, or female priests. So yes, a great job was done. If you do not agree,WHY are you Roman Catholic? Praise God we have a truly conservative new Pope!

March 15, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. anonymous

Political as the workings of the church are, calling on lifelong professional politicians, particularly the likes of Santorum and the serial abandoner Newt to voice their opinion on the new pope or the church is offensive at best.

March 14, 2013 at 3:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Nick Sanders

OMG! I was just nursing my sick stomach after seeing Rick...and now Gingrich? You have lost your mind! Who cares what he thinks? Why ask him about religion? He is so much into self that I can't believe his opinions would matter to any sane person. He says what you want to hear! And...he did it again. I am really disappointed!

March 14, 2013 at 7:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. adgondane3

Reblogged this on ajinkyablog.

March 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. michael

its very revealing as to what kind of backward inward looking narrow minded person santorum is when says that the problems with the catholic church is the human factor. any thinking reasonable person would identify the human factor as the most important exciting aspect of the church ( that is of course if you have a brain ).

March 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. michael

santorum is nothing more than a snake oil salesman whose 15 minutes are up thank god

March 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. John the Historian

I wonder if Santorum likes it that this new Pope said nothing about the military dictatorship this former archbishop did nothing about. Like the Catholic Church seems to be doing all the time is support right-winged dictatorships like Salazar in Portugal, Franco in Spain, Petain in France, Tiso in Slovakia, Utascha in Croatia, Mussolini in Italy and Degrelle in Belgium. .They all just want women to be barefoot and pregnant and Gays to be put in pyscho wards. I guess no Vatican III and I guess the Republicans won't see the picture and pick a Santorum/Bachmann ticket for 2016. Millions are leaving the church and millions are leaving the Republican party.

March 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Capt GK

Why is Piers Morgan still in the USA. He should have been deported years ago he's here because the Brits thru his Sleazy keester out after discovering his "news Fabrications" after forcing myself to listen to his incoherant ranting on numerous topics of which he has no expertise I have decided to make him my new crusade. Morgan isn't fit to fetch coffee in a news room.

March 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. joyce victoria

I respect Anderson he keeps his life private that's what I do I,m not gay but if I were it would not matter I think piers likes to start trouble.

March 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Phaerisee

I agree with Senator Santorum. As long as we allow prelatures to operate without accountability in the Church we will continue to have issues. Transparency and humbling ourselves before God is the only way to find The Way back to the right path. We also should make reparation to all those we have harmed as a Church.

April 11, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply