Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 21st, 2013

Tom Hanks on returning to the stage after 32 years: "The nerves hit me about 5 o’clock in the morning"

Coming up this evening at 9, "Piers Morgan Live" welcomes one of the most-celebrated actors of the modern era, as Tom Hanks joins the program for an honest and entertaining interview that touches upon everything from his wife Rita Wilson and late friend Nora Ephron, to his early cross-dressing comedy series and current on-stage project.

Set to star in the upcoming play “Lucky Guy,” Hanks' Broadway debut marks his first on-stage performance in more than 30 years:

"The last official play I did was in 1981 in Hayward, California. I was a guest artist for my alma mater, Chabot Junior College," revealed the man who's twice taken home the Academy Award for Best Actor. "We did 'Charlie’s Aunt' which was directed by an old teacher of mine named Herb Kennedy and I think we sold out 1,500 seats every night for a few weeks."

Despite having starred in such classic films as "Big," "Philadelphia," "Forrest Gump," and "Sleepless in Seattle," the 56-year-old silver screen legend admits that there are certain anxieties that come when taking a step out of one's comfort zone:

"I would say nervousness is not nearly the term – what do you call it when you wake up at 5 o’clock in the morning with your eyes wide open thinking, 'do I have the lines in scene 110 down the way I like them to be? When Laura comes out on the bed, am I supposed to come...?' That’s where the nerves hit me about 5 o’clock in the morning."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in at 9 for Piers Morgan's sit-down interview with an actor considered to be the highest-grossing box office star of all-time.
-–
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Rebecca's News and Entertainment

Reblogged this on Rebecca's News & Entertainment and commented:
    I can't wait to see him perform

March 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Laura WIndsor

I am a former Larry King fan, who watched Larry work his magic every night, over many decades. Piers inherited me. It took me a while to transition from Larry to Pies and I still miss Larry. However, Piers has held my interest and I feel he is doing a good job. What I am missing is the long, in depth interviews. Larry would frequently spend the entire hour with one person. That was the entire show and you came away feeling like you really knew the guest, for that night. Now Piers' show often has four or five parts...not always even related. Is there any chance of returning to the one guest/one topic style of show? It was what made that time slot unique.

March 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Michael Markovich

I performed with Tom at Chabot in 'Our Town', and saw his performance of Charley's Aunt. I had to give him a bad time about the horror movie he had been in.

March 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. @prile pipkin

pviers morgan majeastvvvy magnificence*~***~*~*~*~*~*~*thee heavvvvnnes*~*~ insistes*~mississippian majestvvvy*~insistes sir*~ may mighte you please help me in reaching vatican majestvvvvy. thee vatican. mr. morgan sir*~*~i believe truly that thee chilean miner*~mighte may very, very well sir*~is an ancient ancestor of mine. my family. yet most importantly sir*~there is no telling sir*~sir*~thee chilean miner mighte may is a grandest guardviavnne avngel.
    sir*~thee chilean miner rescue sir*~mighte may is reason for our wonderful world saved or sir*~our world again ruvins!?
    arrrmageddevstvvvvvnnev/spelling? armageddvon/spelling?1v228v731v32v33 v.tellefovnnva/2340 @ road/route b20 biloxigulfport east pavvvvvv&vsse/ eastville valley apartments*~of anciente arlingtovnnev39507 arch*~avngel st.michael insistes

March 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Craig Richardson

Piers, a couple things....arguing over 2nd amendment rights with Replubicans is never going to get you anywhere other than perhaps some ratings. If that's what you are looking for then fine, but I truly hope it's more. I am from Toronto and I can't agree with you more tthe lack of guns out there means less gun crime- perfect example Canada...we don't want guns out there other for anything other than hunting purposes for the most part. I think in the US, the worry has shifted from US gov't attack to the various gangs out there....if you look at Mexixo/Texas for example, I would also want a semi-automatic weapon in my house if I lived in certain parts there. I'd love to discuss further....thanks.

April 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Anonymous

Do you mind proviso I figure a few of your posts as prolonged as I endow with belief and sources back to your site? My blog is in the same same quarter of interest as yours and my visitors would positively profit starting a lot of the information you represent now. Delight allow me identify condition this alright with you. Thanks!

October 24, 2013 at 3:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. http://www.sklarskaporeba.pl noclegi

I really like examining and I believe this website got some really utilitarian stuff on it! .

January 15, 2014 at 6:13 am | Report abuse | Reply