Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 1st, 2013

Michelle Shocked on response following anti-gay rant: "I certainly have not been happy with that"

Less than a month removed from an anti-gay rant which has left fans fuming and critics labeling her homophobic, on Monday evening singer Michelle Shocked joined "Piers Morgan Live" to offer an explanation.

Seated across from Piers Morgan as part of a worldwide exclusive, Shocked revealed that she regrets the incident:

"I admit I made a mistake, Piers. If I had the chance to do it again, I don't think I would have taken the audience up on their choice. I had presented an entire performance, and I framed it as 'truth,' and then I came out back for an encore, and they requested 'reality.' What has consequently taken place ever since then is my manifestation of how little I think of reality."

As part of a rambling, and confusing interview, that at times struggled to remain coherent, the 51-year-old Dallas-native further attempted to clarify the strange occurrences from the March 17th evening in San Francisco:

"I know that it's a stock in trade for a lot of the media to present things like that's how it really is. But I don't think the audience was ready for the consequences of that, and I surely have not been happy with it."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Morgan plays an audio clip from the evening in question, asking his guest to explain her perspective.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. max

the man on afterward said why didn't any one help him there is some thing wrong wtih our Moral Compass.” he said,

April 2, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ted Hanlon

You cannot call Piers' talk with Michelle Shocked an "interview." It was a tribunal! Who do you think you are Piers? You are NOT God, you are a very small man who's ratings will decide your future. I, for one, will not watch Piers again.

April 2, 2013 at 12:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • SkepticalOne

He is not God because there is no God. I doubt he will miss you.

April 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Disgusted

You are SO wrong and YOU WILL see one day

April 7, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
      • Jeff

People who say they know there is a god are clueless, and people who say they know there is no god are equally cluesless. Your brain is on par with cinderblock, athiest. Your kind claims to be evidenced-based. So ... evidence?

That's what I thought.

April 8, 2013 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
      • dpesposito

Citation for "There is no God," please

April 8, 2013 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • pdenorte

Oh, but Piers obviously thinks he IS the spokesperson for God, in the form of the popular 'Contemporary Wisdom' of the 'cool' crowd. What a poofter.

April 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • bob baden

Enough. You cannot stand on a stage in 2013 and bash gay people without suffering a back lash. Plain and simple. Like it, don't like it, whatever. You just can't. And this performer got caught in her own glaring headlights. 15 minutes over. Major fail. Good night Michelle. "When I Grow Up I Wanna Be An Old Bigot".

April 5, 2013 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
      • The Truth

GOD, YOUR GOD, MADE GAY.
        THAT'S THE TRUTH AND THE REALITY. Folks who can't handle reality, who deny truth, are the only people fighting against humanity and compassion. Two people in love are two people in love – thats God's Image.

April 6, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sylvia

Stock in trade...not stalking trade!

April 2, 2013 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • McReggie

Thank you. R.I.P. journalism.

April 4, 2013 at 9:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • DFW

Yeah, "Stalking trade"? Isn't that a job description for stalkers?

April 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zane

These days, the media is a "stalking trade."

April 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dan lipinski

Am I the only one who's "Shocked" that she's not a lesbian? I have always thought she was!

April 2, 2013 at 3:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

I, too, am surprised. I always assumed she was a lesbian. Listened to her music since the 80's.

April 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

She appears to be an ordinary person, attempting an honest interaction with 'the public' by way of the media. Poor baby...even Jesus wound up on a cross, they'll be just as insensible and unforgiving to this woman....count on it. She obviously doesn't realize the 'public' on appreciate 'phoney' and pretense...never honesty. They certainly do NOT want that and won't react kindly at all to it!

April 2, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • DarrellSF

It's VERY telling when you see a "poor baby" victimized by the audience, and I see a woman in need of medication because she's bat-s**t crazy! It's really sad to me when a crazy person rambles on about God and Jesus and Reality, and others just seem to take it at face value. She's lost all touch with reality, but yet you hold her rantings up as if they mean something.

April 3, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

She is a lesbian. She has stated so on a few occasions over the years. But she is also a person raised by extremely religious parents and I think that has conflicted her to the point of mental illness.

April 3, 2013 at 2:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Cain

She is not a Lesbian. My brother played guitar with her for years and drove her tour bus. She has a boyfriend currently. But...she has always had a large lesbian following. Google it....

April 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shocked!

Always thought she was gay. Stunned that she isn't. Maybe she used to be?

April 5, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. suejeffers

where is the rest of the interview? that looked like a promo for a full interview to follow, not the actual thing. I was looking forward to hearing what she had to say, but apparently this wasn't the place to look for that

April 2, 2013 at 3:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Loring

Suejeffers, CNN rarely puts its televised content online in a timely manner (sort of like with NBC and Hulu) – it eventually shows up, but they want to preserve their TV audience. Dumb, if you ask me. Someone said Pies was too tough with Michelle. Now, I am not a Piers fan, and I have been a long-time Michelle fan, but I thought after her Yoshi's show she had some serious 'splainin' to do, so I would expect any good interviewer to act like an inquisitor. And she still sounds rather mixed up to me. And by the way, Dan, Michelle made a big deal about getting married back in the late 90s, the time that album with the heart came out, so most fans of hers have known for years she wasn't a lesbian.

April 2, 2013 at 4:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. rendrasyahputra2013

Reblogged this on rendrasyahputrablog.

April 2, 2013 at 5:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. MLC

Comma News Network

April 2, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. dwerenat

Note to Mr. Morgan: This woman does not deserve the attention an interview provides her. She doesn't need publicity, or a sounding board, or any other inspiration to continue her misbehaving.
    What she needs is psychiatric help. If you want to do something productive regarding this issue then how about getting her to a doctor and then interviewing him on what causes allegedly sane folk to crack up in such a spectacular way?
    It would certainly be more productive than letting some washed up lunatic bark on national television.

April 2, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

That's what they've been saying about her since she was 18. But back then she was 'cool and trendy'...now she's just old fashioned and out of touch..... The public is SO totally phoney and full of c*p.

April 2, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jonathan

I've followed this from the incident at Yoshi's. Michelle is obviously delusional and in the midst of some psychological breakdown. Her eyes were darting all over the place. She sounded and looked like a crazy person. She refuses to have a manager and appears to have alienated her friends and family. My sister did this about ten years ago when she met a man who got her I to this crazy Assemblies of God church. My awesome big sister who I grew up admiring was the most gentle loving soul I knew. In 2006, at age 40 she comes back from this church absolutely brainwashed and there was nothing we could do but watch. We had to let her go after a few years because she was disrupting the kids and scaring them (plus stealing things to pawn, since she gave ALL her money to this church). She and my parents will likely never speak again as she has been removed from any inheritance. These church leaders need to know they are using vulnerable adults who are not just hurting themselves but their entire families. We tried to reach out to my sister for years but (now) at 47, what are we going to do – force her to get help? She has turned into a crazy person who I once wanted everyone to know 'this is my cool big sister (we have a 15-year age difference so her influence was heavy on me as a child) to this crazy woman I don't even know. Michelle Shocked is going down this same path. I hope her typing skills are good because she'll never earn a living performing again.

April 2, 2013 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda

Your story is my story, but it is my brother John. We are a big family, and for years we tried to reach out to him. He also got swallowed by the Assembly of God church. He became so arrogant and far off we had to take precautions for our mother, as he targeted her to " save her" . The saddest day of my life was when I cut him off for good. He has since become even more zealous. He has been kicked off of Youtube, Myspace and FB for his rants and craziness. If I picked up the paper and read he murdered people in a church I would not be surprised. Yet we can do nothing. We have let the aurthoritied know all about him. Yet we are helpless. People like " Michelle Shocked" and my brother are dangerous and menacing. They should NOT be given an audience of any kind to spread their venom. I am sorry for your loss of your sister. It is very sad indeed. My heart goes out to you, as it does to my own siblings over our brother John.

April 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Manen Ah Ayadah

Actually I think you're more dangerous. People can have the wildest ideas...and be as inconvenient as they like (short of actually threatening physical assault...just being annoying does NOT count).... But you sound like the kind of person who would try to use the courts and police to have someone committed and subjected to 'treatment' (a' la the USSR psychiatric methods, up to lobotomy....) just to try to ensure their ideas and behavior didn't 'offend' you. You are the threat as I see it, not them.

April 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • gary

Linda, It is you that needs help. Serious help too.

April 7, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • mbrowningvogel

I agree. This is horrendous breach of journalistic ethics on the part of Piers Morgan and his staff. Why don't they just interview a paranoid skitzofrenic about drones, or a meth addict about the drug war? When someone is having a mental breakdown like this it's it unthinkable that they would book her on this show as if she were somehow an authority on gay rights. I hope the staff at Piers Morgan never have to deal with the difficulties of mental illness but this was an unconscionable decision on their part.

April 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Joan

Piers Morgan likes easy targets. He is not particularly intelligent and delights in setting up situations where he can belittle someone without requiring statistics, facts, or debating skills of any kind. The result is tedious discussions that never reveal anything beyond the obvious.

April 3, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Manen Ah Ayadah

Really a drag when folks do what they think is best for themselves and you disagree, ain't it? I pity you your angst at another choosing a path of which you disagree. I'm sure it's just terrible.....

April 2, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • DarrellSF

I'm sorry, but to have a civilized society, you have to have some ground rules. If everyone did as they wanted because that's what they believe, we'd be in utter chaos. People indeed have the right to spew hatred wherever they want. And society has a responsibility to silence them, when they present a danger to the well-being of society. In San Francisco, Gays and Lesbians are equal members of society. Michelle walked in and spewed her hatred. And The City took her to task to protect San Franciscan society. And, considering how many shows were cancelled, I'd say most other cities are becoming like San Francisco, where ALL human beings are valued members of society.

April 3, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • cdngirl

Well saiId!!

April 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • pdenorte

Actually I think she can do very well, probably better than she ever has, focusing her performances TO the evangelical community if she wants. It's a larger, less fickle, and more affluent, market. In fact I would be surprised if she is not directed that way by these events. I think Ms. Shocked could be a powerful voice within that community and a positive benefit to their marketing efforts. It would also make her quite a bit of money, if she were so inclined, which beyond basic affluence is probably not a goal. One could do a lot worse than the Assemblies.... It might even be the best course for her as a person too. It's easy to second guess what's best for another. But they have to live their lives, not you, so perhaps you'd find the minimal dignity and decency to allow others to live their own lives as they see fit. But frankly, I doubt it...as doing so is probably an affront to your own conformity.

April 2, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anna

I think you're right. It's very sad to see. And I think she's kind of trying to apologize because she knows on some level that she's ruined her career but it's too late. So sad to see.

April 3, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • TRH

Agreed. This women is clearly suffering from some sort of mental condition. The problem is when ever the ravings are regarding a politically charged topic you can't point out mental illness without sounding like you're just trying to undermine her "opinion."

This isn't the thought of a sane person. I believe there are plenty of sane people on BOTH sides of this issue, however misguided some of them may be. But she's not one of them.

Sad really.

April 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Shocked and Ahhhhhhhhhhh

she's just a loser

April 2, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

You're aahhhhh ... projecting.

April 2, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. BlahBlah

So now we are forced to like the gays HUH....everyone has a right to their opinion..Why do they push this crap in our faces, you have to like the gays or you are considered to be discriminatory..It's bad enough that HGTV..Blast this trash all over the the tv..If you bad mouth these people oh you get scolded by the Gay parade..Screw that!!!!!!!!!!..

April 2, 2013 at 10:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Wow your user name says it all. You have nothing to say.

April 2, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cj

In the scheme of things, someone should remind you that YOU'RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!! You probably live a selfish life and contribute little to your community. There are 7 Billion other people on the planet with far more respect and love for humanity than yourself. Go back into your cave- loser.

April 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda

No one is asking you to hate anyone you amoeba brain. But you certainly are not allowed to spew hate. That's a line that should not be crossed. It's just plain mean spirited and not necessary. Never mind that what she said in the so called interview made no sense. For a minute I thought she suffered a stroke and was just speaking jibberish. Sadly, not so.

April 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rick

Um, actually you ARE allowed to spew hate in this country. It's the whole "free speech" thing.
        If you don't like what she has to say, don't listen to her, don't buy her music. But she is absolutely allowed to say any ignorant hateful thing she pleases.

April 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shane

Actually, Rick, she no one has a right to spew hatred--there are laws against hate crimes and hate speech. As for Shocked, in my opinion, she is a repressed lesbian who hates that fact and is trying desperately to change who she inherently is by following a book of fables.

April 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manen Ah Ayadah

Oh I think BlahBlah is right on. PC has gotten totally over the top.... If one, especially a public figure, fails to toe the line...well mass murder is less reprehensible in the eye of the 'chattering classes'. But BlahBlah should remember the public is a crowd of cretins simply lined up for sheering and not to be taken seriously in any regard as long as they're out of spitting range.

April 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anna

Michelle Shocked has a ton of lesbian and lesbian friendly fans. In fact, they may make up the bulk of her fans. So if she's going to spew anti-gay talk, she's going to face the consequences of that, which is probably the end of her career. We all have choices in this country. She has the right to her opinion and her fans have the right to no longer be fans.

April 3, 2013 at 2:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • JP

Yeah, kind of like when the Dixie Chicks forgot that 80 percent of their audience lies on the right. Dehr.

April 8, 2013 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. She's a loser

Anyone who "claims" to be in sole possesion of the "truth" needs to be kept at arms lenght.

April 2, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

Do you think that's "the truth"? Just wondering....

April 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Vince

I've never heard of this woman. She's probably as relevant as Ted Nugent or Sarah Palin...so who cares what she thinks?

April 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Theresa

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one who had never heard of this woman, never mind what she is supposed to have done. I have been trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. guess i will have to do some googling.

April 3, 2013 at 8:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mike124

Michelle Shocked has put out some fantastic albums and is not some no-name singer getting a flash of fame for her comments. She's quality. (Dead wrong, too, but that's just my opinion...)

April 4, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marsha

I think she said STOCK IN TRADE not stalking trade. Sheesh CNN.

April 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. peick

Our culture does not want truth. We want what's comfortable and appeals to our lusts.

April 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Manen Ah Ayadah

One of the few honest and accurate posts here. I think you are exactly correct. In fact the public will crucify anyone who tries to tell them the truth (even if asked for it!)....and berate and demean one for even hinting at it. Poor Ms. Shocked...she let down her guard and was honest with the 'public'. After all these years of performing she should know better!

April 2, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Anna

Would you say "poor Ms. Shocked" if she ranted up there about Arabs and how much she hates them?

April 3, 2013 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. art

She is nothing more than a self loathing lesbian

April 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. rob

Bigots are funny. Pathetic, repugnant, ignorant, immoral, self-righteous, illogical, dangerous, mentally unbalanced, hate-mongering, hypocritical, and vile, but funny.

April 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

Yeah...you and rob are good examples.

April 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Dunzo

What the heck is she talking about?

April 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. katbartley

Jesus Christ woman, stick up for what you believe and stick to it.

April 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

Did she say what she "believed"? She did not. So why do you think you know what it is? You do not. And why should she speak it to the crowd? Especially at your demand? It would be no more than 'pearls before swine' at best...and she'd be hated for it. I pity her. The public is hateful, intolerant and arrogant...and those are their GOOD qualities. Piers Morgan is a Zipilote Maricon.

April 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Scott

She deserves to have her opinion, she also deserves to suffer the consequences as an entertainer for voicing that opinion. If clubs want to cancel her gigs, if people no longer want to support her then that's her fault, any opinion you express as an entertainer can affect your public image. The same thing was done to the Dixie Chicks and too various other entertainers. When you depend on fan support

April 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. alpeaston

This is crazy if she thinks she can say such bigoted statements and keep her gay following! She is finished! I hope she dies penniless, homeless and alone!

April 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

I guarantee you that you will die that way. Count on it.

We all do.

April 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mark

Seriously!? You object to bigotry and yet, spew such hateful condemnation ("I hope she dies penniless, hopeless and alone")!? I doubt she'd wish that on you. Might be a bit of a log in your eye.

April 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. mbrowningvogel

This is an example of disgraceful judgement and journalistic ethics of the part of Piers Morgan and his staff. Michelle Shocked is clearly in the throes of some sort of mental breakdown. Any one who knows her music or has any familiarity with the gay rights issue can see this. It's reasonable to press musicians like Ted Nugent or Hank Williams Jr. about their views because their views are consistent over time, their agents aren't AWOL, and they are not acting erratically at their gigs (As is the case with Michelle Shocked). Having Ms. Shocked on Piers Morgan to talk about gay rights is like interviewing Pastor Terry Jones about Islam. CNN is trolling for an inflammatory remarks at the expense of someone who's clearly not stable. In doing so this show is exploiting mental illness, gay rights an fundamentalist Christians all at the same. Disgraceful.

April 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • pdenorte

Irresponsible, sensationalistic and deceitful...yes, that's Morgan.

April 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anna

You make a great point. It really is clear that she's having a mental issue.

April 3, 2013 at 2:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Michel

She could not even form a coherent sentence....she might as well have speaking in tongues.
    She appears to have a psychological disorder.......she rambled on all BS...she is full of BS
    What a freak!!

April 2, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Ray

she's completely allowed to say it but we and the public are just as free to loathe what she did. She was playing to a room of ppl who she wanted to make money off. Why is it there are always fundies babbling about free speech and chiding us for using it in reaction to a statement they made?

April 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • joan

Exactly! No one is saying she should face legal consequences, or that she has to "like gay people." Freedom of speech just means someone can say what they want. It doesn't guarantee that there will not be social consequences if you say something outrageous. As consumers, we have the right not to buy from someone with ideas we find hateful. As individuals we have a right not to befriend people who we find offensive.

I think the problem many christian fundamentalists are having, is that their ideas are no longer accepted by the majority, so they can actually face personal consequences for putting down people of other beliefs. Its so unfamilair to them that it feels like a punishment. Welcome to the world the rest of us have always lived in. You don't get to look down your nose at other lifestyles and be all judgmental and superior and expect everyone to politely deal with it.

April 3, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Ray

Piers got fired in the uk for having no ethics in the first place so any surprise when he comes to the usa and they are still missing? Maybe he'll do a segment on how he hacked michelle shocked's cellphone and heard messages of her calling her home planet.

April 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Ufzal

gay is wrong
    gay is incorrect
    gay is unnatural
    gay is ungodly
    gay is manmade

April 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. seth

Gay is not wrong
    Gay is not incorrect
    Gay is natural
    Gay is Godly
    Gay is of God

Any interpretation of scripture that creates disdain or hatred of others, it illegitimate.

God and the many definitions isn't the problem. The problem is 'man'kind's' religions that have hijacked his name.

April 3, 2013 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ainsley

What do you think of polygamy then?

April 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rob

Why not? If three consenting adults, who pay their taxes to the benefit of us all and support American priciples, want to knowingly engage in a polygamous relationship they should be allowed to do so.

April 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ainsley

OK, I think that’s fair. I have three best girlfriends and we are all very close. So, if we all become widowed (one’s already, one’s divorced), four of us can all get married to be protected by the law to pass our money and properties to whoever lives the longest. Also, one of us has a really great health insurance policy the rest of us would benefit from. I know it won’t be a real marriage since we’re not lesbians, but the law does not require us to prove we share physical intimacy, does it?

April 3, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

I imagine the law would treat such a union as fraudulent much as it treats marriages arranged for the sole purposes of obtaining green cards. Certainly such a thing would happen, but I'd be surprised if it happened with more regularity than other kinds of marital fraud. The public, legal, and insurance scrutiny would deter most people from pretending to be in such a controversial relationship. In any case, the existence of marital fraud should not deter the existence of rights of Americans to marry.

As for insurance policies, laws regarding polygamous relationships would certainly have to be different but only because the number of recipients itself is changed.

April 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ainsley

I agree fraudulent marriages are already happening. I just wanted to caution that the scale of abuse can be significantly expanded if we don’t think through this route carefully. OK, gay-marriage becomes legal, polygamy becomes legal... I actually don’t have any objections on the moral ground for those. Now, how about if a brother and a sister want to get married? They say they can’t find anybody else they can love more. We all know the feeling when we are in love that he (or she) is the one and only person for me in this entire world, there is no one else but him (or her). Oh, you may say their children would most certainly have disabilities due to the thick blood. What if they say they are not going to have children or they say they’ll only adopt?

April 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

THAT. is an interesting question. No. I do not take my views on individual rights to marry to that extreme. I believe that government should not restrict straight unions, gay unions, or polygamous unions because there can be no secular argument made against them. That is not the case in an incestual relationship, which has direct negative health consequences on children birthed. I believe this makes incestual parents inherently selfish and unfit parents because of the risks they impose on their children.

Some may argue that growing up in a gay household or a polygamous household is difficult psychologically for children. I am not convinced that any evidence exists to suggest that these marriages are any worse for children than straight, "traditional" marriages. I grew up in the household of a straight marriage that was broken for years, ultimately leading to a divorce that put me and my sister in the middle. Their catholic faith didn't keep them from divorcing. I am in no position to tell some gay couple or some polygamous family that they can not do right by marriage and kids. It's the christian thing to withhold judgment, and its the American thing to extend rights to us all.

April 6, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ainsley

Rob, I very much appreciate your truthful expression of your feelings and beliefs. I agree wholeheartedly that children will be better served in the household where their parents display a strong bond of love and trust for one another regardless of their s*exual orientation. (It seems the word “s*x” gets caught by the censor system, so I used * to avoid my post being blocked.)

As you stated, most of us would consider marriage among siblings to be “extreme”. But when we call anyone’s consensual relationship (where no minors are involved) “extreme”, wouldn’t we be “judging” them? I completely understand placing such high risks of birth defects on the offspring would be disadvantageous to society, but like I said, what if the couple says they are not going to have children of their own? If they say one of them is even willing to go through sterilization to make sure that does not happen? If they want children, they’ll either adopt or one of them will get a sperm (or egg) donor?

Of course I am no way advocating incestuous relationships. I’m only bringing it up as an example of a unique form of love that can exist and also to point out that most of us instinctively feel that incest is unnatural and therefore the society shouldn’t celebrate it. So, can we really blame some people for feeling exactly the same way about hom0s*xual relationships? And we shouldn’t automatically interpret that as hatred. Even though you can’t welcome such nuptials in our society, my guess is that you wouldn’t hate either the brother or sister who wants to marry each other.

For the record, let me say that I’m a believer of Jesus and I’m not anti-gay. I often get in the hot seat for saying that being gay is not a sin among my devout Christian family and friends. Despite what the Bible says, I’m inclined to believe hom0s*xuality is a condition (hormonal imbalances of some sort) you develop at early age or in the mother’s womb. So I don’t condemn it. But when it comes to “redefining” marriage, I’m very cautious. Isn’t it unfair to redefine it only to include “hom0s*xual monogamous orientation” and not all other orientations, when pro-gay-marriage people claim “we must not discriminate anyone or deny their civil rights because of who they love” ??

April 8, 2013 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Kirk2

problem is that there are too manyF A G O T S in this country, WHAT KIND OF INDIVIDUAL WOULD ALLOW TWO MAN MARRY , ADOPT A CHILD AND RAISE HIM/HER as two daddy's??? ONE SICKF U-K- IF YOU ASK ME...there is no nice or polite way about this travesty. This is not the way to go, OUR SURVIVAL AS HUMAN SPECIES SOLELY DEPENDS ON IT

April 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leroy Moore

My question is, what is wrong with this lady speaking her mind? doesn't she have freedom of speech as an American? do you expect everyone to support gay right? if you choose not to believe in God that is on you. but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist. He made all things and knows all things. He's always right and rules in the affairs of men. what He says is always final. you can choose your stand. but to stand against Him is not wise. furthermore, He did not make anyone a gay. He only made man and woman in His image to obey and fellowship with Him. if anyone chooses to go his or her own way will have to face up to it with Him. but why should anyone who takes a stand with God be labeled as being out of touch with reality or mentally ill when He is the only timeless, ageless and eternal one? be careful of what you say when it comes to especially God as nothing escapes Him. He also has feelings, opinions and standards.

April 8, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leroy Moore

My question is, what is wrong with this lady speaking her mind? doesn't she have freedom of speech as an American? do you expect everyone to support gay right? if you choose not to believe in God that is on you. but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist. He made all things and knows all things. He's always right and rules in the affairs of men. what He says is always final. you can choose your stand. but to stand against Him is not wise. furthermore, He did not make anyone a gay. He only made man and woman in His image to obey and fellowship with Him. if anyone chooses to go his or her own way, they will have to face up to it with Him. but why should anyone who takes a stand with God be labeled as being out of touch with reality or mentally ill when He is the only timeless, ageless and eternal one? be careful of what you say when it comes to especially God as nothing escapes Him. He also has feelings, opinions and standards. His standard for man/woman is righteousness and not immorality, life and not death, good and not evil.

April 8, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. seth

Religion is for those who are afraid to go to hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.

April 3, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tedd

A religion is not all about avoiding going to Hell. Some religions don’t even believe in Hell.

April 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. max

one you think its over, it comes back with all the hell as before. the Act of 1735. it never ended just used a new way to attack, evil is good at this, it's been doing it a long time. and ever time human steps in it. you got to laugh talk about backward that is human for you. even big foot wants nothing to do with them. Morgan at his best. are you a witch are you a witch are you a witch just answer the questions for we can burn you a live that all we want.

April 3, 2013 at 7:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Jack Lail

"I know that it's a stalking trade for..."
    Stalking trade? That has to be a misprint.
    She probably said stock-in-trade because 'stalking trade' makes no sense.
    But, neither did her rambling responses come to think of it.

April 3, 2013 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Tedd

In my humble opinion, the Bible should be carefully and comprehensively studied, not blindly swallowed.

April 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • karen

Can I get an Amen? Well said Tedd.

April 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Karen

You call that an interview? Piers- Go back to the UK. Not sure why you have any popularity.
    CNN- As a follower, I'm losing respect based on the fact your keeping this mental midget on air.
    That was a tribunal.

April 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kirk2

HE IS A F A G , WHY DO YOU THINK HE OPPOSES Michelle's speech?

April 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. James Dickason

Thats what happens when you go on a show like Pier Morgan's. He bait's you and then flushes you down the commode. That's his style. Great guy that doesn't belong here in the USA.

April 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Billr

Born that way, huh? Since when do traits that prevent procreation become inherited traits?

April 4, 2013 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • MGS

Since when do people live for the sole existance to "procreate"? If that is what you think life is all about, you have a very narrow minded interpretation of life and the humanities, and even less to contribute to it.

April 4, 2013 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Ted

Pretty sure she's gay and just hasn't come to terms with it yet.

April 4, 2013 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. jim

very sad indeed, i have known of her music for many years now , and have respected her as an artist and a person, i knew that she grew up in a very religious home, i believe her father was a preacher growing up, she has many insightful songs which speak of the conflicts in society and such, I had also always believed she was gay........... but I feel so sorry for her now, she seems to be losing the battles going on inside her , losing touch with her reality and our reality as a nation and society of open mindedness,, gay rights are everyones rights , everyone has the right to be who they are , or want to be, or could be.........if there is a GOD , he is proud of everyone he has made and makes no judgements .........
    it is sad that dillusional comments from anyone get press....... I feel sorry for Michelle Shocked that her career is going to end on such a sad , weird,and antagonistic note....... I always thought she one of us (I am not gay , I am almost the exact same age as her, but i accept all people for who they are , as i do accept her but in a really disappointed way )

April 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Eric J. Beck

Defending Shocked is idiotic. She's nuts. A religious fanatic. She and her kind are part of the problem, not hte solution, and they never have been. they stoke fear and hate, period. And they are MASSIVELY phony. "Judge not, lest ye be judged!" goes right out the door. They pick and choose from the Bible. Has she ever performed on Sunday? Yes. Well, the Bible says she should be put to death for working on the Sabbath. Instead, she's counting her gate receipts Sunday night...

April 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. JakeF

Who is that dude and what did he do with Michelle Shocked?

Oh.. .That IS Michelle Shocked? Not saying my gaydar just went to plaid, but...

April 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kirk2

I'll bet the "F" stands for F A G ...

April 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. woodawgie

She said what she said. She has no right to play the victim.

April 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Brian

I don't understand what her regret was. And I don't understand anything she's explaining. Is this English? Please help.

April 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. colloidaloatmeal

It's stock and trade, not stalking trade. It's amazing the level of illiteracy that passes for journalism nowadays.

April 4, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  43. aFanFromAccrossTheOcean

Until 2 months ago I just knew her somewhat melancholical song about the housewife school friend in Anchorage.
    I listened to some of her early videos on myspace and youtube and became interested in hearing more from her.
    Her 1989 album "Short Sharp Shocked" has lyrics and melodies which are incredibly good.
    The more you listen to the lyrics, the more you will like her wit and her compassion for humans and their lifes.

I hope she will be staying healthy and is getting a chance to continue performing.
    Really glad she appologized for her confusing and offensive statements at Yoshi.
    Btw. the full transcript of the interview with Piers is at

Her web page http://www.michelleshocked.com has some more details

April 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  44. penwah

Why can't she have an opinion?? I live in SF and believe that EVERYONE has a right to their own opinion and belief!!! Back the F off! Not everyone has to believe in gay marriage...so what? I thought we lived in a democratic society? If she believes this, then so what? If you diagree, then disagree. People should be allowed to be true to themselves, regardless if it offends. Gays may be offended...sorry. Christians, Muslims, hell I know Athiests who are against gay marriage. Bottom line, people have the right to their belief..our journeys are our own.

April 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Joe in MA

I'm glad I read the comments. I was thinking she was being arrogant – claiming to know when Jesus would choose to come back. Reading the posts makes me realize she is mentally ill and needs help. I truly hope she gets it.

April 7, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. douglas

i don't agree with what she said but i abore this new mccarthy-ism that exists in our society. i would rather have someone speak their mind who disagrees with me than applaud these congressmen and woman now "evolving" on gay marriage because their re-election depends on it. i also abore that sean penn's son made very anti-gay remarks shortly after michelle schocked and hollywood, the media and liberals all ignored his remarks. so i say to michelle: i don't agree with you, but thanks for speaking your mind and not what the libeal thought police would only have you say.

April 8, 2013 at 1:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. juliet

SO NOW WE CANT OUR FREE SPEACH RIGHTS ARE BEING TAKING AWAY, IF YOU AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE YOU KEEP IT TO YOURSELF AND DONT EXPRESS IT ? IT SEEMS USA IS GOING TO STALIN"S ERRA

April 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Dave

Who is this broad and why should I care what she has to say?

April 8, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Bob

I have no idea who Michelle Shocked is.

April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kirk2

that's OK, I have no idea who you are ether...

April 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  50. js/js

She is like a Cassandra figure, loved but misunderstood. She needs help, and so forth. Hope she gets it too.
    She has the talents of Joan Baez, Janis Ian, Ian & Sylvia, etc. Pray for her recovery. And yes, maybe she can
    start a new singing career in Evangelical or Western C&W. One thing is sure: She MUST think, before she
    speaks. And NEVER alienate your audience (or the hand that feeds you). Much love & peace & recovery
    for all. IMO. Hot topic.

May 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Personal Training Long Island

At least she realizes she she was wrong, admitted it, and apologized. People make mistakes!

January 14, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply