Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 12th, 2013

Kid Rock on other artists charging up to $225 for a concert ticket: "It's garbage...it's highway robbery"

Coming up tonight at 9, Piers Morgan welcomes the return of Kid Rock, who sits down in studio with his trademark brand of humor and candor.

The very first guest Morgan ever interviewed for his CNN program, the man born Robert James Ritchie shares his philosophy on business, on the backdrop of a ground-breaking summer tour he's organized as a more affordable option for his fan community:

"I'm a musician. I play concerts. I've been very fortunate. I've always tried to keep prices what I think are fair," he reveals. "I've always said I'm proud that I could walk around with my head held high and look someone in the eye, knowing that I haven't taken an un-honest dollar from a working man."

Coinciding with the release of Rock's 10th album – "Rebel Soul" – the "$20 Best Night Ever" concert series comes in sharp contrast to some of the events being produced by his contemporaries:

"Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z, apparently their highest ticket prices for their shows are going for about $225 each," begins the "Piers Morgan Live" host.

Rock jumps in:

"It's garbage. It's garbage. It's highway robbery. I don't care who you are, you know?," says the five-time Grammy Award nominee. "I would consider both of them, you know - in a circle of friends in the business, but I don't agree with it."

Watch the clip, and listen to interview, then tune in at 9 for the "Piers Morgan Interview," as Morgan and Rock touch upon everything from the legalization of marijuana, to the guest facing Barack Obama after he public endorsed Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election.
-–
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. rksoldier

kid rock sealed my respect above and beyond anyone in DC. how can we elect a real person like this rather than the highest earners who keep TAKING? fair question i think

April 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • rksoldier

oh yea...FIRST!!!

April 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm

OK KID! your average price this late summer, early fall ( In My City ) were $180 – $550. Who you kidding? KISS was the same! even more!

April 12, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LNaj

Say what you will about" The Kid", like him, or hate him, he's absolutely right! I appreciate the fact that a musician finally stood up and made a stand for the fans. You can't deny the fact, that he speaks from the heart, and anyone who speaks from the heart, speaks the truth,

That's why he's The American Bad*ss

April 14, 2013 at 9:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Linda

The reason people were so upset Kid Rock campaigned for Romney is that he is from Michigan and Romney said the auto companies should fail!!!!

April 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • socialwrongs

Yep – the automakers SHOULD have been let to fail. Once that would have happened, they would have came roaring back, and better. It's not the government's role to save everybody. You cannot have success without failure.

April 12, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Scare The Pilgrims

And a big ^ 5 from this humble but proud UAW Re -tiree, . NAFTA was Insane ,,just too late to turn it around in the 1990's clear up too today. My Creds – AWS – American Welding Society,, certified structural steel , American Bureau of Shipping Certified Shipbuilder Welder . NRA, ATA < Amateur Trapshooting Association , # 4046233, Signed up at age 12, 1970.

April 13, 2013 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
      • how cute

It's so nice that you think this is how a failed industry survives. It must be lovely in your fairytale world.

April 19, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Vickie McMullin

Finally someone gets it:) Love u Kid. Have a great time touring!!!!

April 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm

He said it Vickie, Grand Larceny by Kid Rock, his concerts prices are a rip off!

April 12, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. brasstacs

I was surprised with Kid Rock....His music isn't "my bag" but I liked some of his opinions and he was down to earth... except about the drugs...If all he told his kids about drugs was "Be careful" then that was the same as telling them it's "OK"...And being in the music business he had to have seen the destructive power that comes from booze and drugs..and the lives that these have destroyed...and usually most who smoke pot, also do other drugs.. they seems to go hand in hand.

April 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. XKID ROCKINITX

$20 for any seat he can't get hundreds of dollars out of first.Fan club presale was a joke.Very limited $20 tickets,plenty of platinum tickets between$200 and $500.So he can say all that crap about taking a pay cut,sounds like he will be raking in the cash to me.If the shows are like the firdt few days of ticket sales,$4 beers and $20 t-shirts will be sold to the highest.bidder.Make no mistake,I'm a big fan.But this is quite the bait and swich marketing scam I've had the displeasure of being part of.Beware and good luck.

April 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm

What a Scam, His shows were the top dollar he was taking offense too through the summer and fall of last year.( a little over 6 months ago!)

April 12, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peggy

Was no way a scam..My granddaughter went online to LIVEnation and got us tickets for all 3 shows @ DTE for $20. each. If you went to any other ticket outlet they charge outrageous prices which is exactly what he was trying to avoid. This is Michigan after all, and he has a huge number of fans here. ALL of his shows sell out within a couple of minutes. Don't be a hater..you just have to be quick. If you go online @ 10:01 you've already lost the game....because "there is NO party like a Detroit party".
      Best damn entertainment you will ever get anywhere no matter the price. I've paid more for his tickets in the past and will do it again. Am thankful he cares enough to TRY to get us a bargain. Like I said..you have to be quick..you snooze..you lose. Sorry about your bad luck! I have went to at least 7 of his concerts and was always able to get tickets, but they do sell out within minutes.

April 14, 2013 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • XKIDROCKINX

We had four people trying at 10am,so they were lucky.Let me guess,lawn tickets that sell for$10 each normally or in 6-pack bundles for $30 which they now paid $20 for now under the so called paycut he says he is going to take.He sold half the pavillian seats from $200 to $500 platinum seating that were normall all less than $100.I am not a hater.Iam a very disapointed.I am having a hard time defending him to my friends because they no I love his music and shows.

April 15, 2013 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Donna

I I love not to much more than to cruise and put in a Kid Rock CD on a nice sunny Day. I would love to see him in concert and hope he plays near Zanesville, Oh on his summer tour. I hope they post soon where he will be playing for $20.00 a ticket I will be there if possible, I saw his interview on CNN tonight and think that is so kind and sweet of him to understand times are rough and people love his music and is willing to take a pay cut for the normal people who try to make it pay to pay! love your music keep up the good spirit

April 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. sm

AH HA HA HA HA WHAT A SCAMMER! Really, He's a true POLITICIAN Now! What a LIE! Way Over priced Shows All Year! Look for yourself last year and this year priced show in your town!

April 13, 2013 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. sharron codner

Kid Rock is a real genuine guy. I have heard him before in interviews and have been impressed by his concern for the people making a genuine living. He is smart, thoughtful, giving and has his feet planted in the right place. I never go to concerts because of the cost but for Kid , if he ever came to Montreal, I'd make an exception. You go Kid and keep being real.

April 13, 2013 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. E

I have never been a fan of Kid Rock or his music, but after hearing him in the interview I was impressed by his concern for people. His thoughtful, kindness, and intelligence, I have to say completly cought me off guard and I had a complete misconception of him. Someone i am proud to call an American.

April 13, 2013 at 2:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kris

Kid Rock got me to watch Piers Morgan again. No one else could have done that! (I stopped watching Piers over the gun control issues and his distain of Americas decisions concerning guns one way or the other.) Love Anderson Cooper tho, so saw Kid and had to watch. I have never written a fan letter, I don't facebook or twitter and the Kid is the only one that made me feel he would care that I'm so proud of him, he made a difference, and how much I appreciate him and the band for all these years for always being respectful of America's hardworker's and our brave soldiers. So a month ago I go to his website, I've decided to cross that off my bucket list, but it was not to be, you had to facebook or twitter! Not even Robert Richie could get me to do that! So thanks Piers for letting me just type this, I actually enjoyed Paul Anka so much too, he was my very 1st concert at Worlds of Fun 40 years ago. Perhaps, I might give you another chance. To the haters that say the Kid is a scammer, well I can't say that here. hee hee

April 13, 2013 at 2:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • XKIDROCKINITX

Selling face value seats for hundreds of dollars,while selling few for $20.Most are lawn seats that would have gone for $10 anyway.How is that not a scam?

April 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dame

Amazing how many that did not hear Kid say I myself used to charge too much? The interview is about now ,not about last year !

April 13, 2013 at 4:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • XKIDROCKINITX

RIGHT NOW THIS TOUR

April 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm

SCAM! Will all see wont we Dame!!! heres looking at you kid!

April 14, 2013 at 12:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jim Koski

I started to watch this interview with pre-set ideas about Kid Rock, and for the most part they were not postive. I walked away being a supporter. I will attend a concert if possible.

April 13, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. BRENDA

wat ur doing here is just awesome..Ur not afraid 2 step out of our comfort zone 2 give ur fans fair reasonable prices & have it take a cut off ur wages...now that says alot about the person u r & the heart u have 4 the ppl..Ur pretty dang special in my book & I admire everything ur doing & have done 2 help every1 around u..Ur def.1 in a million Bobby..Ur music & ur deeds have been a big inspiration in my life..GOD BLESS U BOBBY..STAY REAL & SMILING PROUDLY CUZ UR BEAUTIFUL BABY..MAUGHHHHH!!!!!!!

April 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Patty

He is the man! I am so proud to be his # 1 fan! "Thank you people for feeling me, I'm am feeling you too, oh what a ride"
    I LOVE and RESPECT you!

April 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chloe

Kid Rock is just one of those very human people. He's great. Now sorry to digress here, but why did Mr. Morgan insult the gun owners by calling them stupid outright – phew, the insults were horrendous! but when this man said he keeps his gun loaded, Piers Morgan treated him like you should treat a guest. WHY? I listened to so many of those gun owners and none of them called him names or yelled at him. He never gave them a second to talk – just shows. He called Jesse Ventura a coward for not saying outright what he thought but PIERS kept quiet about HIS direction with Kid Rock.

April 14, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Becky

I bought 3 tickets for his July show in Dallas. Center Stage, approx 12 rows from the stage. $88 with tax included. I don't live in Dallas, so had to pay the extra charges for buying online. This will be the 10th time I've seen him live and have never paid more than $65 a ticket, and that was for seats better than the ones I just bought. Say what you will about him, but when you take away all the glitz, glamour and celebrity spin everyone shrouds him in, he's just a small town guy who never forgot where he came from.

April 15, 2013 at 3:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. TomGI

He's a hypocrite if he cashes the checks. But I find it hard to believe anyone would pay $200+ per seat to see him. So they are probably brokers selling his tickets after they dry up at the venues. Happens all the time.

April 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. MB

Not a fan...BUT(Behold the Underlying Truth) the message is ABSOLUTELY true. How does the average household afford to go to a sporting event, concert, show, ETC???? YOU CAN'T. And guess what???? That DOES NOT INCLUDE the parking, gas, food, merchandise and the additional charge for taxes and handling charge for the tickets. A person can make money, but money can't make the person.

April 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply