Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 16th, 2013

Lillian Campbell on losing her granddaughter Krystle in the Boston bombing: "I'm having a hard time when I see her on the TV ... it's killing me inside"

As Massachusetts, the nation, and the world continues to search for answers following Monday's tragic bombing in Boston, on Tuesday evening "Piers Morgan Live" invited CNN's Chris Cuomo to share insight he's gathered since arriving at the scene of the deadly attack.

Earlier in the afternoon, Cuomo sat down with Lillian Campbell, the grandmother of one of three people to have perished as a result of the explosions.

Remembering her granddaughter, Campbell proudly explained the bond they shared throughout her life:

"My whole heart and soul, she was in. And she made me feel that way. She made me happy. I used to look forward to her coming over to see me," said Lillian, of the late Krystle Campbell. "She never complained of what she wanted, or talked about it that much. She just used to say 'We'll just take one day at a time Nana.'"

As images of the 29-year-old Krystle appeared on a television in the room with Cuomo and Campbell, Lillian revealed what she was feeling at the time:

"I wish I could go up and grab her and kiss her and hug her. I can still feel it," Lillian told the CNN broadcaster. "I'm having a hard time when I see her on the TV. It's killing me inside."

Watch the clip, and listen further, as Lillian Campbell shares the story of how her granddaughter insisted on moving in with her after she fell ill.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. RJ

She sounds like she was such a sweet girl and a very good person. Condolences to her family and other loved ones.

April 17, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joel A. Morales

My heart goes out to all the family's that are suffering because of this unspeakable act of hate. Such a young and beautiful life full of talent and compassion lost. My up most condolences to Lillian Campbell and the rest of the family. my heart is torn in pieces over this...............

April 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Doug

She is exactly what makes this country great.. We lost a true love.. So sorry to the family...

April 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jessie

As a grandmother myself, my heart goes out to this grandmother and too her grieving family. My arms and prayers are around them all.

April 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. t3chsupport

Please media vultures, leave the families alone. If they come forward and ask to say something about their loved ones, then by all means, give them the air time. But don't go pounding on doors or following people around to get a story. They have enough to deal with without scavengers trying to profit from this tragedy.

April 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Walter Cronkite

There was a time when the paparazzi and th news media could be differentiated.

No longer, they are all the trash

The ironic thing is that with cameras on phones, blogs, etc, the media with their lack of ethics is proving more and more that the average joe can replace them (ie cnn ireports), and at a lower cost to the news distributor

April 17, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • yeah.

right on target,well said.

April 17, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aline

I'm sorry that some of you feel that way....but if we didn't have the media to tell us about these families we wouldn't be able to grieve with them. My condolences to all family members and friends...My prayers and thoughts are with you all.......

April 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Deez

We are all just people trying to make it in this world. Try to not make it harder for anyone else by taking more than you need or by hurting anyone else.

April 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. retphxfire

May your memories of your loved one/friend bring you peace very soon. I agree the media needs to take a step back with the families, but I understand the family need/desire to let the world know how much they loved and how incredible their love one. I know when I lost a family member recently, I wanted to talk about him to everyone...even strangers, tell them what kind of person he was and how much he gave to all he knew. .

April 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Sorry to hear of your loss:the world's full of it,violent and premature;I recall a Newtown parent saying the same as you in that they wanted to talk about their little girl.Nice bunch of comments here,some CNN blogs you go on,and it can be open the floodgates with the hostility and name-calling.Not here.(Not yet,anyway!)Peace to you all,and enjoy the London Marathon Sunday.

April 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Helena

"Enjoy the London Marathon Sunday"!!! Can't believe I just read that. Wholly inappropriate.

April 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • shepherdgregory

Why's it inappropriate,Helena?There's a silence for Boston at the start,so it's not like it's forgotten.

April 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. doug

What punishment could ever be appropriate for the responsible person or persons? I can only hope there is something in cards for them that I can't imagine or know about.

April 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AC

Well put. I feel the same way.

April 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tesla

A hollow-point execution and an unmarked grave. No recognition, no fame, either for them or their cause.

April 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • carlie

No More Hurting People!

April 17, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tesla

Trust me, after that, he'll never hurt anyone again.

Just remember this: There are some people in this world who deserve to die.

April 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nuclearr mike

GrandMother...May you find some peace for yourself as this pain of your loss is just awful to read about for you, may God grant you His mercy...

April 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Matt

I feel like the grandma isn't as sad as she should be for how close she says they were.. like how could she even speak about this the day after the incident? I know I would probably just stay in my bed under my covers and cry... not able to get out of bed because it would seem like nothing mattered anymore.

April 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

People react in different ways,Matt,and everyone here is condoling with her.

Can't you do the same?

April 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • RespectForOthersIs Good

Matt – It's not about you. It's about a lonely, sick grandma who just lost the light of her life. Please, if you have nothing good to say – it's better to say nothing.

April 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CWOK

She grew up in a different time than you did. She reminds me of my own grandmother. Things were a lot tougher for most 70-80 years ago. Either way, everyone grieves in their own way. I'm not going to call her out.

April 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lotti

how dare you doubt the extent of her grief, or how she expresses it? what a bonehead you are.

April 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharon Williams

How DARE you? So now you are the grief police? It's up to you to tell others how to grieve? You are an unbelievably arrogant, sarcastic, cruel, unthinking, unfeeling narcissistic horse's ass to disparage this woman and tell her and all of how how she ought to act. Yes, sit anonymously behind your keyboard and post hurtful things about others, you insensitive jerk. I hope it makes your tiny little self feel better. The last thing that someone who is grieving needs is you telling them how they "should" behave according to you. Get a grip and do everyone a favor, will you? The next time you feel you have something to say–don't.

April 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • JR

You totally missed the entire point of the her interview. She wanted to give her granddaughter a proper tribute as oppose to just being a face that was being flashed on the screen. I watched in awe, as she kept herself together and gave a wonderful tribute. I am sure it took incredible strength and courage to put aside her grief, but she was motivated by the love for her granddaughter. It was beautiful, too bad you missed it. Have you never seen a love one speak at a memorial service and speak wonderfully, only to lose it moments latter. It is part of the incredible human spirit that we all have. If you could not tell by her face and the way she was grasping on to the reporters hand, how she was hurting, you are a lost spirit.

April 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Motives of the heart

The day my mother died I posted to everyone. I wanted the world to know who she really was and how fabulous she was. I am sure this grandma spent her time crying. I still tear up everyday since my mothers death but for me it was important to speak. People react differently and for different reasons. God knows the heart. The day of her funeral I was stoic and strong. In the evening at home alone I fell apart. If I were the grandma I would want the world to know my grand daughter and somehow pull through to make her legacy count regardless of how I felt. Hopefully that is how this gma felt too. Less judgment and more love.

April 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • watergirl

What makes you so important that you can decide how other people should grieve? Talk about someone who is so full of themselves. The fact is, you don't know how you, or anyone else, grieves or feels.
      If you are so worried about how society and their members grieve, why don't you campaign for laws that allow people to have more then one or two days off work when they lose a loved one?

April 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Catherine C

Matt...in addition to being insensitive, you have clearly never experienced profound grief. Having lost my brother in a horrific car accident, in addition to losing both parents, I can tell you with great certainty that everyone experiences grief differently. Emotions run the gamut from being calm and detached, to nearly catatonic. That you would grade this grandmother's grief is deplorable. This woman is from a generation who experienced depression and war with a grace that is sorely lacking in today's society. Her generation didn't whine and complain when things went badly, they soldiered on. They didn't have the luxury of crawling into bed and giving up. Shame on you for your cruel and ignorant post. I can only hope that none of this woman's family sees your comments. They've suffered enough.

April 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tara

Again another expert on how we should grieve. I lost my husband and my 2 and 4 year old sons to a drunk driver on Christmas Eve 2009. I had asked my husband to take the kids out to look at Christmas lights so I could finish wrapping their presents. Thirty minutes later they were dead. The first thing I did was to donate their toys and join MADD. What worked for me may not do for others. Let these people have their peace and stop this incessant judgement of each other.

April 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • LibWP

Tara, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope joining MADD helped you deal with it.

April 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. durr

stop watching the news is my suggestion...CNN is a joke and simply there to get a story and to pat each other on the back for "getting the story first" at any cost!

April 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Learning all the times

One good thing about the follow up with family and friends that were killed or injured- you get closer to the victims as
    people, not some faceless statistic. It makes me careful in life as I drive or have ugly thoughts of wanting to hurt
    someone I can't stand ( never happens). Everyone is connected some way and one person's tragedy affects so
    many other people.

April 17, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lexi

Lots of prayers going out to the families and friends affected by this. May they have comfort in knowing their loved ones are in a better place and they will be reunited one day.

April 17, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. rogue

So much hate and suffering in this world. Sometimes I wonder if we are indeed living Hell.

April 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Charlie

xoxoxo madam, so sorry.

April 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. MAMMI

I TOO AM A GRANDMOTHER TO TWO BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. THEY ARE THE BRIGHT LIGHT IN MY WORLD EVERY DAY, BESIDES MY OWN CHILDREN. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL GRANDMOTHER AND CRYSTAL'S MOTHER AND FAMILY.

April 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Papasmurf

My heart and prayers go out to this family and this precious Grandmother. You can obviously see that she is elderly and ill and like alot of previous comments, everyone reacts in their own way regarding grief. She is probably also in shock. We all need to quit finding fault with every little thing and just pray for all involved. This person/person will be caught,one way or the other. 'Vengeance is my sayith th Lord".

April 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. JOJO

I can feel her pain. My 21 year old son was killed 4 months ago this Friday and when i would see the news reports of his killing, the images of him smiling on the tv report just killed me. This is a loooong hard road ahead. :( My condolences to the Campbell family.

April 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Respect For Others Is Good

JOJO – Thank you for sharing your loss with us.Your compassion for this Grandma in the midst of your own grief for your dear son is so very kind. God bless you and may you son rest in peace.

April 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Respect For Others Is Good

Sorry, Sweetheart – May your son rest in peace.

April 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • JOJO

Thank you all for your condolences. It has been so hard to lose my oldest child. I dont wish this pain on anyone. Please just keep the victims in your prayers and pray for a better world. My child was taken from me by someone w/o a conscience too and they have not been found yet, so I know the anguish in not being able to know who and why did this awful thing in Boston. Again, thank you all.

April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Just Sad

JoJo, I'm sorry for your loss. That searing pain does ease over time. If you haven't already, look up the stages of grief and please remember that every one grieves in their own time and way.

We lost a son 12 years ago this past Thanksgiving. There will always be the "what would Brandon be like today as a 30 yr. old" thoughts. It simply leaves me sad now...

May you find peace in your memories and love of him.

April 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Papasmurf

My prayers go out to you also JOJO. I can't even imagine the pain of closing a child.

April 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. A.D.

They almost arrested someone...or not.

April 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Patrick

Thanks for making me watch a commercial CNN. Very classy.

April 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ,.,.,.,

so now that the media has had fun showing everyone these poor families suffering,how about telling them how sorry you are for disturbing them....oh,im sorry,you arn't sorry....you are just trying to boost your ratings.

April 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

I don't think he is,he's trying to prevent another Newtown since most contributors here don't seem to care less.

April 18, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Karma

No one can evade Karma no matter how strong and powerful you may be now. Everyone gets what they deserve and no one gets what they deserve not for there is no injustice in the Kingdom of God. The whole world knows that America attacks smaller weaker countries for oil and resources and because they hate Muslims and because they just did not want communism to spread in the past (Kennedy used to fear monger if how Vietnam fell to communism, how all of South East Asia would too and so what if all of South East Asia chose communism) and because every Christian is also a Jew (the first testament of Christianity is Jewish and Jesus was Jewish) and so they support Israel in it's atrocities. You will say why cry about Vietnam 40 years later; well will the families of 9/11 victims forget about them after 40 years have elapsed? Christianity teaches peace and these Americans claim to be very religious yet ironically they are also the most violent. Judaism teaches peace too but unfortunately most Israelis are Jewish in name only. Surely, they might follow Jewish customs and what not but a true Jew can never commit any of the countless atrocities the Israelis have perpetrated against the Palestinians and Lebanese for over a century (the atrocities started long before the founding of Israel in 1948) and America has supported them by giving them billions of dollars in military equipment and aid every year. When Pakistan was slaughtering Bangladeshis, the US armed the Pakistanis. The US has removed countless democratically elected governments and replaced them with puppets. In short, the US may tout democracy and human rights and what not but it only does what is in it's best interest and that of Israel. The US regularly commits torture. Abu Ghraib is just what we found out about through illegal leaks and most we will never find out about because it's classified. In the name weapons of mass destruction, the US killed millions of Iraqis and when they were found to not exist, no accountability. I mean why weren't Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc arrested? And once there, the US could arrest anyone and detain them for years without any charges and without having to show anyone any evidence. In Guantanomo, they have detained people for decades without any charges and sometimes there may be charges but no evidence is ever produced. Have there never been any false convictions in the US (surely there have been in spite of detailed trials) so why can't there be any false detentions in Guantanomo (when there have not even been (fair) trials)? You see the US presumes people to be guilty just because they are non-white and Muslims. It is this same US which lectures the rest of the world on human rights and democracy. Google "Is America Like Adam Lanza?".

April 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Karma

No one can evade Karma no matter how strong and powerful you may be now. Everyone gets what they deserve and no one gets what they deserve not for there is no injustice in the Kingdom of God. The whole world knows that America attacks smaller weaker countries for oil and resources and because they hate Muslims and because they just did not want communism to spread in the past (Kennedy used to fear monger if how Vietnam fell to communism, how all of South East Asia would too and so what if all of South East Asia chose communism) and because every Christian is also a Jew (the first testament of Christianity is Jewish and Jesus was Jewish) and so they support Israel in it's atrocities. You will say why cry about Vietnam 40 years later; well will the families of 9/11 victims forget about them after 40 years have elapsed? Christianity teaches peace and these Americans claim to be very religious yet ironically they are also the most violent. Judaism teaches peace too but unfortunately most Israelis are Jewish in name only. Surely, they might follow Jewish customs and what not but a true Jew can never commit any of the countless atrocities the Israelis have perpetrated against the Palestinians and Lebanese for over a century (the atrocities started long before the founding of Israel in 1948) and America has supported them by giving them billions of dollars in military equipment and aid every year. When Pakistan was slaughtering Bangladeshis, the US armed the Pakistanis. The US has removed countless democratically elected governments and replaced them with puppets. In short, the US may tout democracy and human rights and what not but it only does what is in it's best interest and that of Israel. The US regularly commits torture. Abu Ghraib is just what we found out about through illegal leaks and most we will never find out about because it's classified. In the name of weapons of mass destruction, the US killed millions of Iraqis and when they were found to not exist, no accountability. I mean why weren't Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc arrested? And once there, the US could arrest anyone and detain them for years without any charges and without having to show anyone any evidence. In Guantanomo, they have detained people for decades without any charges and sometimes there may be charges but no evidence is ever produced. Have there never been any false convictions in the US (surely there have been in spite of detailed rigorous fair trials) so why can't there be any false detentions in Guantanomo (when there have not even been any (fair) trials)? You see the US presumes people to be guilty just because they are non-white and Muslims. It is this same US which lectures the rest of the world on human rights and democracy. The US has also armed countless violent dictators and preaches democracy to the rest of the world. Google "Is America Like Adam Lanza?". Speaking of weapons of mass destruction, according to the US only itself and it's white allies and Israel should be allowed to have them. But guess what? China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, and Iran have them too and soon will many others too as it is necessary for them to have them to protect themselves against US violence.

April 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • How to make America safer?

America would be much safer if Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc are broughto to justice. Cheney is already very old and can suffer another heart attack at any time so it's not even like he has too many years left in his life to serve behind bars anyways but it will bring closure to a lot of people. You see people will never believe that they are behind bars 24/7 so even better if you turn them over to Iraqis with promises that they will not be tortured and will not be given the death penalty and that way they will only be imprisoned for the rest of their remaining years.

April 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • How to make America safer?

broughtto = brought

April 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • How to make America safer?

broughto = brought

April 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • perfessor

Yes; I agree. Until the US is ready to admit publicly that it is actually the ONE AND ONLY country to have used atomic/nuclear weapons, it can hardly afford to affect the ability of other countries to do the same. And regarding Bush, Cheney (and his age and health should be of no concern in this matter), Rumsfeld, etc. charge them (or support others who do), try them openly and fairly, and make no restrictions on what can or cannot be done to them uinless we also provide such restrictions regarding others. They are truly evil "people."

April 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. trishsaunders8

My heart is breaking for this dear lady (on oxygen!) and all of the families of the victims.

April 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Ravi

The bombs killed two women and a child – How cowardly

April 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. William

It's time to kill Kim Jong Un. If we're not tired of his BS, we should be. No man in America should be willing to tolerate one more word from this worm; especially Barack Hussein Obama. We ought to cut him down no later than sundown on Thursday, and kill him, either by cruise missile, maverick missile or by the bullets of special forces. And then we should deliver his head to his comrades with a warning that any more noise from their camp and it will be their heads too.

April 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • artist

That would really show the world what the US is like, wouldn't it???

April 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Redhead in Cary

"as a result of the explosions" Why does the writer of this article, Jason Kurtz, describe the bombs as such?? Why sanitize such a horrific event? That's almost like the POTUS not using the word "terrorist". Some may call a spade a spade, but I call it an f***in' shovel.

April 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. db

Good news, granny! According to the internet, this thing was one big hoax. It never happened.

April 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Debbie

All I say is I'm so sorry that all of this happened. May God be with you during this difficult time. You are in all Americans' prayers.

April 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Domestic|Commercial|plumber|plumbing|boiler repair|boiler maintenance|central heatingrepair

Excellent points altogether, you just won a new reader. What could you recommend about your post that you just made a few days ago? Any sure?

May 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. shepherdgregory

Hey,Silverado.

'Shrugged their shoulders and went on?'

Which channel was this?

April 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Charlie

Comparing places is not the answer, it is daily activity in these regions and no news now.

April 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply