Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 17th, 2013

Bombing hero Tyler Dodd on his experience: "I saw humanity at its finest ... the human spirit truly rising above what had happened"

With the nation and the world still reeling after the bombing at Monday's Boston Marathon, and amidst an ongoing investigation that is described as having made "significant progress," this evening "Piers Morgan Live" welcomed a gentleman being heralded as a hero for his selfless actions amidst the terror.

In the aftermath of the explosion, Tyler Dodd rushed to the aid of the injured, in the process happening upon a young woman named Victoria:

"Out of all the people that I was able to console and help, she stuck out in my mind more than anyone else for some reason. We had some kind of unspoken bond," he told Piers Morgan. "I got her to look at me, first off. She looked me right in the eyes. And I asked her what her name was."

With chaos defining the afternoon, Dodd called upon his medical training in trauma and first aid, and trusted his instincts:

"I remember trying to be aware of my body language and not to look at her injuries as to make the situation worse for her," said Dodd. "I tried to keep as calm as I could and to keep her as calm. And I drew my strength from her strength."

In the words of Morgan's guest, Monday's bombings were "intended to instill terror and fear on Boston, and the world."

But for Dodd, who's lived in town for only a year, those responsible for the attacks hardly achieved that goal:

"What I took away from it is that I don't see it as doing such. I saw humanity at its finest. I saw people of all different cultural backgrounds, and nationalities, helping each other in a terrible, terrible time," he shared with Morgan. "The human spirit truly rising above what had happened. And it was an amazing thing to be a part of. I'm truly blessed to have been able to work alongside such heroes."

Watch the clip, and listen further, as Dodd displays the t-Shirt he wore on Monday, explaining why he plans never to wash the blood-stained garment.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. max

he didn't answer your question how he learn to deal with this kind of thing, he said they hire him due to it, but never did he say where he learn it. i know that there are them that start fires and than watch them and try to help the firemen. just saying he never answer your question. In the picture you showed it looked like a women with a gold bag was holding it and than it was not being held is that what is setting there by the mail box? the man in the white hat is gone as well. I paint so I see the odd things some times in life.

April 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

I agree there is something not right about this guys. I watched the original interview on CNN and right away something did not sound right. He seems to enjoy this too much. The meeting thing? he said he is unemployed. He said when he woke up god said he would need to help people today???why would he want to keep a bloody shirt as a prize, thats sick. He said he was site seeing but also said he lived in Boston for a year? He left the finish line at the perfect time and when he heard the explosion he new something bad happened? I felt compelled to google his after the interview to see he had other interviews on Fox and he was a Marine. why didnt he say that on CNN. Then he was a hero in NYC in AUG and showed someone his shrapnel wounds. Something strange here . A wounded ex vet who is a unemployed alcholic who suffered shrapnel wounds. A bomb goes off on Patriots day and the people have shrapnel wounds and now he is a hero. Sound very odd. I pray I am wrong about him.

April 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Prayforboston

He has been in and out of jail. Mugshots all over Internet , that's probably why he is still unemployed

April 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Rebecca

Don't discount his helping folks, however you need to review this guy a little closer. http://tinyurl.com/c77pe68 is from Aug 2012 – featured also in NYPost. Questionable.

April 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Prayforboston

Yes. This guy needs to be checked out. Definitely not forgetting that he helped. But he does not have a clean past

April 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mar

Something askew about Tyler Dodd. Bad vibe about him. Did anyone else get that feeling? I didn't believe a word or sentiment he spoke

April 17, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Yes, agree. i watched the him on CNN last night and got a bad vibe. Also, they did not clarify that he is NOT the man who is seen carrying Victoria to safety in all of those pictures. The pictures were being shown on the screen while Piers interviewed Mr. Dodd, and I kept thinking, that does not look like the same guy. And it turns out the guy in the pictures is a firefighter named Jim Lourde.

April 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Tom

** Sorry, the firefigher is Jim Plourde. They never clarified that at all during the interview on Piers Morgan.

April 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Allie Wittkamp

His opening remarks were strange. They're not included in the video here, but it sounded like he said he was going to a meeting when he heard the blast, which is a strange thing to do on a holiday when you're unemployed. Then he said he knew to expect mass casualties. Esquire and Fox News say he is Afghan War vet, but he told Piers his training was from working on an oil rig. I really hope he is a recovering alcoholic (as told to Esquire) that is trying to get his life on track and did something very kind.

April 17, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Prayforboston

I agree with you Allie, something doesn't seem right about this guy. I caught the " meeting" story too and wondered the exact same thing that you mentioned

April 17, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mar

Gut feeling. Something not right about him

April 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jeff

I hadn't been aware of this sidestory until flipping from a ballgame to Pierce Morgan and saw the five minutes or so leading up to the interview, then the interview itself.

|I immediately sensed something wasn't right about the guy and by about halfway through the interview I was convinced "this guy did it". I know a little about statement analysis. That coupled with the authorities (the governor for that matter) publicly seeking him out less than 24 hours after the incident because "Victoria"wanted to meet him? Yet he obviously hasn't been put in contact with her. "Now you'll have a scar just like mine"? Running towards the injured people "preparing myself for what I knew I was going to see"?

America I believe you have your man.

I bet my next paycheck there is an arrest within the next 48 hours and the entire nation will be shocked to find out it is this "hero".......

God bless the victims and their families.....Godspeed to everyone in Boston......and God bless America.

April 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joey

So, I'll send you my address and you mail me your paycheck..? Sound good?

April 26, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Prayforboston

Jeff , you said it! I think he's the guy

April 17, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. JJ

I agree, something is not right with this story. It's a strange coincidence that he was involved in another good Samaritan story back in august 2012 where he appeared on the TV show "Stars Earn Stripes". I certainly hope he's just a guy trying to get his life on the right track, but something is very odd about all of it.

April 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Prayforboston

Can CNN look into this?

April 17, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Enoletek

Tyler told fox25 he was not in the military. I think he has been telling the shrapnel story for a while based on the aug 2012 article. Maybe he has PTSD and is distancing himself from the military in the press? I have also read recovering alcoholic, not sure what to believe now.

April 17, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Prayforboston

And he's wearing s baseball cap backwards..'maybe just a coincidence but eerie coincidence. I am praying they catch the suspect soon..,whoever he is

April 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. sally

I have been checking of this story line because it just did not add up when I came across this interview where now others are questioning this guy. He is being touted as hero who Victoria believes "saved her life" when all he admits to doing in the medical tent (that they tried to throw him out until a Dr. he met on the street vouched for him) is hold her hand and calm her down. Media is calling him a hero and veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan when in the Esquire article he never claims he was a veteran or that he had scars (that he showed to Victoria and also to a NYC cop on a reality show a couple years ago, claiming he had 2 purple hearts.) Why does this guys life only pop up when he is being touted as a hero and makes it in the news media? Is he a vet or not? If he claims he is and is not, we have to question this story further.

April 17, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

I wonder if Victoria was confused and thought that the man talking to her in the medical tent was the same man (the firefighter) who carried her to safety? There is a superficial resemblance between the 2 men. She was obviously in great distress at that moment and could easily have thought it was the same person. Perhaps he led her to believe he is the one who carried her to the medical tent?? Her family better keep this guy away from her! Let her meet the fireman and thank him instead.

April 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. bill

something is fishy here. 2012 story he said he was a veteran yet the story in Esquire today has the author saying he was NOT a veteran. Tyler is telling both stories..vet and not a vet...both in response to publicity and making the media as a hero. Hope he is just covering his checkered past, and not something more...

April 18, 2013 at 12:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Billy

Thought I was the only one who was wondering about this. Didn't Governor Patrick make it clear as to which Hospital that Victoria was in. Also I think the Governor gave a phone number out for Srg. Tyler to call.. Yet this Tyler claims that he could not get in touch with her.

April 18, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. David

Hope he a hero but...Facebook shows he has hometown links to Bartlesville,OK a known center of Neo-Nazism.

He was in the limelight before for being a hero in 2012: http://www.accesshollywood.com/stars-earn-stripes-op-jw-cortes-recounts-getting-recognized-on-the-job-by-heroic-samaritan_article_69072 Picture shows it's him.

Has multiple arrest in FL, OK, and TX via Google searches.

April 18, 2013 at 2:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Mark

Previous ABC and other media report him as Afghan vet. But when Piers Morgan, CNN, asked him where he got triage medical training he said it was from working on oil rig. Something doesn't compute about this guy's story

April 18, 2013 at 2:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Diana

If you google Tyler Dodd there is a dude's mugshot from Orange County Floridia that has the same name and the same scar over his left eye.... Something very strange about this guy, something just doesn't add up....

April 18, 2013 at 8:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Victoria

Be more careful in your reporting – this Tyler was not the man who helped Victoria. The Today Show had the fireman who was the man in the picture. I could tell last night Tyler did not match the man in the photo – wrong hairline and less weight. I have always looked to CNN for the best – do not disappoint. Your credibility is on the line.

April 18, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Glenn

He is the suspect. Too much of a coincidence. Was there, left, came back, "knew it was bad" looked into her eyes, will never wash her blood off of his shirt, lies about military, oil rigs, hat backwards. The Feds know. CNN knows. Fox knows. They are following him. He can't do anything else. That's why the haven't published his picture.

April 18, 2013 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Dianne

Wow, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had a strange feeling about this guy. I didn't even finish watching the interview; I walked away commenting to myself "someone needs to look into this guy", something just wasn't right about him from the get go. Very weird.

April 18, 2013 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Betty

Check out http://www.mugshots.com for Tyler Dodd. Sure looks like same guy. Arrested three different times, THEFT on at least one of those. Creepy.

April 18, 2013 at 11:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JJ

I found 6 different mugshots of him from 6 different arrests.

April 18, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Marcia Woods

That is not the man that helped Victoria. It was a fireman. Saw that this morning. This guy didn't help her.H

April 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cindy

Yes, this has been driving me crazy. The man in those pictures is clearly not this Tyler Dodd guy. But they are acting like it is? I have seen him identified as a firefighter named Jim (don't remember last name). Isn't that the guy who should really be thanked??

April 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Teaboat

So this convict gets all the glory for holding a pretty girl's hand. What a tough job. And at the same time overlook the fire man and paramedics who carried her to safety and not seek attention.

April 18, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. DB9CHGO

I agree with the strange interview, odd story and suspect angle. This guy is involved somehow.

April 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Patrick

I think it is pretty clear that everyone is a suspect. Seems like there is some mixed information regarding his past. I will continue to believe he was one of many who where there helping in one capacity or another until it is proven otherwise. All this speculation is understandable in many ways. However, I don't see how a arrest record has anything to do with his heroism. He has been clear he is a recovery alcoholic in other interviews and arrests often come to very good people who have addictions. That aspect of his life doesn't really mean much to me and I honestly don't understand why it does to many of you. He may be enjoying the attention he is getting and I agree. I don't know. If he was not cleared already as a suspect his every move is being watched and we would know soon enough if he was involved in any real way other than to help in anyway capacity he could.

April 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • enoletek

Is it ok to misrepresent yourself several times over (see the Aug 2012 article) as a Afgan and Iraqi war vet with shrapnel wounds and 2 purple hearts? This whole story seems to be based on a lie he told Victoria and has been telling for quite sometime.

April 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. TruthTeller

Quotes from a guy(Cortez) who IS an Iraq Veteran who appeared on that show "Stars Earn Stripes" last summer. Dodd was supposedly chasing down a robbery suspect in NYC in August 2012 when Cortez came upon them. A cop said Dodd was the perp but Dodd convinced Cortez otherwise. Thats when he told him the phoney story about getting getting TWO Purple Hearts & how he(Dodd) supposedly served in Iraq & Afghanistan. Now he says he was NOT in the military??

Dodd told Piers he saw a female officer with her hand on her gun after the bomb blasts & he said he went up tp her & told her he had "medical training?" She directed him to a location but he walked beside a guy who turned out to be a doctor? He said he showed Victoria his scar(war injury supposedly) etc etc etc. Too many stories that don't add up.

He is NOT the guy Victoria was looking for. Oh & Piers asked him to hold up his "bloodied shirt" which had 2-3 tiny blood drops on it...definitely not "bloodied."

So we're supposed to believe Dodd just happened upon the scene? I can't believe the security was so lax that they let just anyone into a medical tent?

"I was working in Grand Central Terminal at around 10:30 this morning,” Cortes tells Zap2it, “and over the police radio, I hear a call for police officer needing assistance. I responded to the corner of 43rd and Vanderbilt Ave.

“Basically, I see a police officer and two guys in a scuffle. I go to the police officer; I assist him in arresting one suspect. Then the other one is tell us that he’s not the bad guy, that he chased this person. He keeps telling us, ‘This guy, he just robbed somebody,’ something. I wasn’t really that sure what the bad guy had done.

“So, lo and behold, we’re talking, and he’s telling me that he’s an Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran. He’s got two Purple Hearts. We’re talking, and he looks at me and says, ‘Aren’t you on “Stars Earn Stripes”?’ I said, ‘This isn’t about me; this is about you, man. You did a great job.’ I’m telling him, ‘This is outstanding, good for you. Dangerous. It was very dangerous. This thing could have gone horribly wrong, but congratulations are in order. You did an outstanding job.’

“He was just so humble. He told me he was a staff sergeant, showed me his wounds. I was so in awe of him, just how nice he was. That’s basically the gist of it.”

April 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Tom

Did you guys notice how he didn't really answer Piers when Piers said he could help Tyler get in touch with Victoria. You would expect to hear, "Wow, thank you, that would be wonderful!" Instead Tyler gave an awkward non-answer about how he had been having a hard time finding her.

April 18, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Watchmen

Sgt. Tyler of the National Guard is what I recall a friend of Victoria's over on Reddit said he identified himself as. Not 100% on that, though.

April 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Prayforboston

I guess it's not him! FBI just released the 2 suspects pictures and videos and is seeking help from the public to find them

April 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aneehall

This Dodd guy is a creep and a liar. Something is not right about him. Yahoo has two still photos of two different people, and the one on the left could definitely be Dodd. Similar coloring – bone structure. Check out the Yahoo suspect picture side-by-side with the pic of Dodd on the Access Hollywood story (http://www.accesshollywood.com/stars-earn-stripes-op-jw-cortes-recounts-getting-recognized-on-the-job-by-heroic-samaritan_article_69072).

April 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Prayforboston

One of the suspects pic that FBI released is wearing a V neck white t shirt with a black baseball cap, tyler was wearing a white v neck tshirt and a black baseball cap in the pics when he claims to be helping injured people. It's definitely an eerie coincidence

April 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. RM

and the black cap..if you look at the FBI Video the back of the cap is similar to the back of the cap that tyler was wearing..it has a gold or yellowish brown patch on the back..i hope they look into this guy..just being cautious

April 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Mar

The FBI pics could very well be Tyler Dodd. Black cap. White tee. There is a pic of him on WordPress that shows similar clothing....why are they not checking him out. His interview on CNN was nothing but eerie.

April 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Escot

If you look closely at the picture of the suspect with the black baseball hat he has dark, thick sideburns. Tyler Dodd has a close shaved head with no sideburns in his CNN interview and also the picture of him on the scene. It his highly improbable that him and the suspect are one of the same.

April 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. JJ

He is most likely not either of those guys in the FBI photos, however there is still something wrong with his story and I can't find anything online that proves him to be military, a veteran, or a purple heart recipient. The only thing you find is that he has told people that he is. I noticed on the Today Show footage of this story that they focused on the fireman who carried her and completely left out the part about Tyler and the governor's specific plea for Tyler to contact them. Someone needs to sort the facts out and update the public with this high profile story. He still may be someone of interest.

April 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. JK

I am seriously creeped out at this interview. At first I was intrigued like as in what a heartfelt story. But this does not add up. Here he smiling for the camera with his white V-NECK blood stained shirt http://abcnews.go.com/meta/search/imageDetail?format=plain&source=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2Fimages%2FUS%2Fht_tyler_dodd_tk_130416

There are plenty of mugshots out there of him. I truly hope that authorities are checking into this guy and what his real story is. This does not add up. I think he should be someone of interest.

April 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Billy

How hard would it have been for him to quickly pull out a disposable razor and get rid of the burns and goatee? Look at his mugshots. He is no stranger to shaving his head.

April 18, 2013 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Patria Lindroth

The classics, in the Western academic tradition, refer to cultures of classical antiquity, namely the Ancient Greek and Roman cultures. The study of the classics is considered one of the cornerstones of the humanities; however, its popularity declined during the 20th century. Nevertheless, the influence of classical ideas in many humanities disciplines, such as philosophy and literature, remains strong; for example, the Gilgamesh Epic from Mesopotamia, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Vedas and Upanishads in India and various writings attributed to Confucius, Lao-tse and Chuang-tzu in China.^:;;

http://healthmedicinebook.comTake a peek at our personal online site as well

May 19, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply