Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 1st, 2013

Cab driver on being a hate crime victim: "The way he was accusing me because I'm simply a Muslim ...that's really hurtful"

Against the backdrop of national outrage following the story of Mohamed Salim, a cab driver who was allegedly assaulted by a passenger because of his Muslim faith and accused of being a "terrorist," "Piers Morgan Live" welcomed Salim and his attorney, Gadeir Abbas to the program to talk about his terrifying experience.

The contentious encounter, which was captured on a cellphone, left Salim feeling, in his words, "Really, offended."

"I served the country, I sacrificed my life for this country and I love America," said Salim, a U.S. army reserve soldier who served in the Iraq War. "When this guy, the way he was accusing me because I'm simply a Muslim and that's really really hurtful."

"It hurts a lot."

Listen to the interview, and watch the clip for the full recording of the terrible exchange between Salim and the passenger.
> Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: In the Chair
  1. Steve Foley

This comment is regarding the article about the Muslim cab drive that was victimised for being a Muslim. Salim, I believe I speak for the majority of Americans when I tell you I am truely sorry for the assault and hate crime that was perpatrated on you by that idot. Please know that not all Americans agree with this stupid persons actions towards you. Just like everything else in this world, there are a few people out there that cast a bad reflection on everyone because of thier actions but he was wrong for what he said and done to you. Thank you for your loyal service to this country while in the military and please accept my apology for his prejudice action towards you. I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent the law will allow and show him no mercy when they sentence him. Then I hope he bunks with a cell block full of Muslims so they can constantly remind him how just offensive his actions were. Please dont let the actions of this idiot change the good person that you are. I also served in the military and am a proud American, and consider you to be a brother. God Bless America.

May 2, 2013 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jason B

It is sad that bigots exist in the world but no matter how much we "improve" society, nothing ever really improves. It's sad that this man was attacked simply for being Muslim, in the same way I, and many others, are attacked for their Christian faith each day, the same way Jews were attacked and still are everyday.

Don't know what the Quran tells Muslims about this, but for us Christians, these are the trials and tribulations, or "refining by fire" that's intended to strengthen us.

May 2, 2013 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. James P

First of all i do not agree with attacking anyone based on their faith. But in this case i believe the taxi driver may have "baited" this guy knowing it would be recorded. This in NO WAY excuses this idiots behavior in any way shape or form. Only a portion of the video was shown. The passenger got in the car and all parties agree he began a "friendly" conversation. It seems to me IMHO that when the passenger asked the driver how he felt about 9/11 and other terrorist attacks the video does show that he repeatedly dodges the question and doesn't give an answer. I firmly believe that if he simply stated that he did not agree with these attacks or the actions of terrorists the moron in the back wouldn't have responded the way he did. I think the driver was using the camera to bait this guy into acting in a way where he could get a nice payday out of a lawsuit. You don't pull the tail of a lion – just sayin..

May 2, 2013 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • James P

I would like to add that if you look up Gadeir Abbas you will find that this is what he does. He looks for reasons to sue people who he feels are "anti-Islamic" It is just too bad that we have enough ignorance in this country to keep this cheap ambulance chaser working for a very long time. all this is only my opinion so don't come trying to sue me now🙂

May 2, 2013 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Steve Foley

I didnt take the time to research the cab driver but I have no doubt that there is truth in what you are saying about him being law suit happy. Its a shame that he would be that opportunistic and bait or provoke anyone to resort to that type of behavior and if it is true that he did this with foresite then that sould be taken into consideration by prosecutors when filing charges. Even if this is the case, the physical assault is inexcusable. We are not a barbaric society the physical assault is no way to handle these type of situations. I did notice that the passenger seem a little intoxicated and that probably had alot to do with how he responded to the situation but that is no excuse. Being a man of faith it does bother me that Islam has been hijacked by all these extremist and that all this violence and hatred is being done in the name of Islam. That being said I still think that we should not perpetuate the hatred and violence except only to defend ourselves. Golden rule-Do unto other.....

May 2, 2013 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • JoeD

Agree with you 100%. These guys use our democracy and indifference to our roots as a pretext to make us look all the worse, so as to push their of slow but deliberate and calculated change, and even conversion. The whole video seems preplanned.

May 2, 2013 at 1:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

Why did if he have to "denounce 9/11" to some random weirdo in his cab? He's a U.S. veteran. He's already done his part to prove his love for this country, probably moreso than the guy in the back of the cab. Bending to the whims of some racist maniac would have only justified the guy's belief that it was okay to demand a denouncement in the first place. Should every loner white guy have to denounce what Adam Lanza and James Holmes did? Ugh...

May 2, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Matthew

Mr. Salim, deepest regrets that you have been victimized just for being a Muslim by yet another ignorant American. No doubt he believes himself to be a good Christian and patriotic American. Hope he prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I have known many Muslims over the years and I have found them to be good people as I am sure you are as well. If I had been there I would h ave defended you before him a nd his assaults.
    Be well and Be Blessed.

May 2, 2013 at 1:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jerry

I think the verbal abuse Mr. Salim received was not appropriate. Finding a reason for the abuse will be very complicated at best but given what has been the hatred for "infidels" by the radical Islamic followers and those who follow the Quaran has given most Americans an unyeilding dislike for this religion. As far as Mr. Salim being a patriotic American and served his country; all we have to do is look at the Fort Hood killings. I know this is only one out of many but who would say Mr. Salim is not another person in hiding his true feelings and he decide to take murder Amercians in the name of a Jihad movement then we would be back to square one and wondering how this could happen but his attorney is once again looking for sympathy for his client instead of trying to help non Islamic followers believe that not all people of this religion are of a non violent nature but all I read and hear is about giving sympathy and retribution. The service people at Fort Hood should not be forgotten for a horrendous murder by a "fellow" service member who is delaying his trial with his religious gargage. I am truly surprised that Mr. Louis Farakhan or Mr. Abbas are not campaigning for his religious belief and let him be released. We live in the best country,,not always perfect but better than the majority of countries.

May 2, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Norma

Sending love and wishes for healing to Mr. Salim. I don't know of any legitimate religion that sanctions this kind of behavior to a fellow human being. We're all in this life together and need to learn how to be nice to each other.
    From your Christian sister

May 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Me

Until peaceful muslims stand up and condemn radical muslims they will be stereotyped. The ball is in their court.

May 5, 2013 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

They DO speak out,regularly,one of the bombers shouted down in a mosque more than once.

May 5, 2013 at 8:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Baron Hydron

That's so the mosque has deniability...Did any of the camel jockey's call the FBI??? I rest my case...

May 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

Until peaceful Nazis from west speak against wars, land stealing, resources stealing , these things will continue to happen.

May 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Cloudcuckooland More Like

Peaceful Nazis?

Are you for real?

Congrats!You've just won Obnoxious Oxymoron Of The Week hands down;someone posted footage of Camp victims on
        here not so long ago.

Pity you missed it,now f@#$ off and find another blog.

May 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Private Personal Training Long Island

Mohamed Salim, Thank you for your service. This guy is a moron! I'm sorry this had to happen to you! This type of stupidity is what
    lands us in even bigger wars.

January 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jordans 2015

Hello there, just grew to become alert to your site as a result of Google, and discovered that it is definitely informative. I’m gonna view out for brussels. I will enjoy in the event you carry on this in potential.
    jordans 2015 http://www.newjordansshoes.org