Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 6th, 2013

Neighbor helps rescue missing person: "She comes out with a little girl and she says 'Call 911 ... my name is Amanda Berry'"

As a shocking development out of Cleveland, Ohio reveals three women found alive after allegedly being kidnapped and held for nearly 10 years, on Monday evening, "Piers Morgan Live" aired a fascinating interview conducted with the neighbor of the man who had reportedly been holding the missing persons.

With Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michele Knight suddenly free and safe, Charles Ramsey recounted how he aided in the rescue:

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside, I see this girl going nuts, trying to get out of a house," he explained. "So I go on the porch and she says 'Help me get out, I've been here in a long time.'"

After kicking in the bottom of the door, Berry was able to come out. And she wasn't alone:

"She comes out with a little girl and she says 'Call 911. My name is Amanda Berry.'"

Ramsey says it didn't immediately register that he'd just rescued a girl that had been missing for more than a decade:

"I thought this girl was dead," he said.

Ramsey has lived next door to the girl's alleged captor for a year, and was shocked by the gall he'd shown in perpetrating the crime so blatantly:

"I barbecue with this dude. We eat ribs and whatnot and listen to salsa music," Ramsey detailed. "Not a clue that that girls was in that house, or anybody else was in there against their will."

In a colorful way all his own, Ramsey went on to explain the exact moment he realized the case was special:

"Bro, I knew something was wrong when a little pretty white girl ran to a black man's arms. Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway."

Meanwhile, after airing the interview with Ramsey, Piers Morgan next played this evening's 9-1-1 call, in which a frightened Berry begged for help:

"I've been kidnapped and I've been with him for 10 years and I'm here, I'm free now," says Berry, in a frenzied tone. "I'm Amanda Berry. I've been on the news for the last 10 years."

Watch the clip, and listen to the rest of Ramsey's interview, as well as the complete 9-1-1 call made on Monday by Amanda Berry.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. 65astoria

I am stunned that CNN doesn't seem to be reporting the facts on this story. I just finished watching Erin Burnett, who reported that the three suspects arrested were brothers, age 50, 52 and 54. Now on Piers Morgan, he is interviewing the "uncle" of the suspects. A photo is shown of the "uncle" while he is speaking; he is perhaps all of 40 years old. It doesn't make any sense. I'm getting sick of news outlets rushing so much to report that they see to be making things up. I'm a constant CNN viewer, and I am embarrassed by this type of coverage.

May 7, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ingve1974

It's fully possible to have a uncle that's younger than you.

May 7, 2013 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Franky Herbert

It is indeed possible to have a younger uncle, but CNN is a car wreck at the moment, its coverage is sensalistic tis throwing theories up in the air and ignoring the real story which is developing and will continue to develop for weeks/months to come. CNN is all about now now NOW and has lost its perspective

May 7, 2013 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Didn't write the 'Dune' saga,did you?

Violent but ultratech...

sound familiar?

May 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. LInda

Hey lets not forget that one of the real heroes in the rescue of these 3 ladies is Charles if not for him Amanda would not have been able to get out of the house in the first place

May 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marcy

Thank goodness! He and the other neighbor didn't ignore her cry for help, like some would have. Shall we start with the 911 dispatcher? Seriously, those people sometimes hold the line to a person's survival – there should be some serious training changes made for 911 dispatchers NATIONALLY.

May 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • shepherdgregory

Evening,Marcy.

You're the third person to single out the dispatcher:I've had grim dealings with 999,and I mention that on other pages.

Thanks for posting.

May 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Frayser

Piers, Last night when you were reporting on the even of the three kidnap victims gaining freedom in Cleveland, there was a pic of the house where they were held on the screen and you pointed out that it was the house with the "American flag" on it. Check your headgear, Piers. That was a Puerto Rican Flag, which has ONE STAR in a triangular blue field, 3 broad red stripes and 2 broad white stripes. The American Flag has a square blue field with 50 white stars and 13 alternating red and white stripes. How long have you been in the US? Plus, you are a journalist – right? You should simply know better.

May 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Linda

It is very possible to have a younger uncle it happens a lot. And lets not forget, people want to hear the latest news and sometimes it's a little confusing. All you have to do is watch and listen. Its not hard to do

May 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. p atricia maher

Hey Morgan you a the public an apology for saying an AMERICAN flag was in front of Castro's house when actually aPeurto Rican flag,gather your facts before you bloviate aimlessly.I personally took offense!

May 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marcy

Yes. It is definitely the Puerto Rican flag.

May 8, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Shana

Piers, I think Mr. Ramsey deserves a year or maybe a life time of Mcdonalds since he mass advertised for them and he gave 3 women freedom for the rest of their lives...He deserves it!

May 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Marcy

He deserves more than just that. An award or some kind of acknowledgement should be given to him and the other person who doesn't speak English should given to them.

May 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Travis Smith-Burke

Please tell me that I am hearing things. but did I hear the 911 operator chuckle in Amanda's 911 call...Listen about 1:30 – 1:37 in the video. Please tell me that I am wrong, because if not, he/she needs to be fired.

May 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Hi Travis,think I recognize your name.

LOT of people on here highly dubious about the dispatcher who in turn seems dubious;I've had pretty interesting experiences on emergency lines,including 999,which I articulate on a more recent page.Thanks for posting.

May 9, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Janna Rose

Travis Smith Burke. I heard the same thing. She laughed and rushed this poor woman off the phone. I pray she lossed her job.

May 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply