Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 9th, 2013

Bianca Cruz remembers Castro: "Every time he'd come to greet me, he'd actually stroke my hair"

As investigators and journalists alike continue to dig into the past of Ariel Castro, on Thursday evening Piers Morgan spoke live with Bianca Cruz, a woman all too familiar with the man currently facing charges of kidnapping and rape – with murder a possibility – for imprisoning women over a 10 year span.

As a nine-year-old girl in Cleveland, Cruz often spent time with the band in which Castro played:

"Every time he'd come to greet me, he'd actually stroke my hair, stroke my shoulder, say 'Hi' to me," recalled Cruz. "It was more than just once. It was at a couple of the shows."

In the aftermath of Amanda Berry, Georgina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight – not to mention the 6-year-old girl seemingly born to Berry – being rescued this week, Cruz finds herself battling mixed emotions:

"There's really no words to describe how I feel. Creeped out, disgusted. I feel like I was in harms way back then," she revealed to the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "I'm overjoyed for them being found. I'm also blessed to know that it didn't happen to me because it could have."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as Cruz adds further detail to her encounters with Castro, in the process shedding light onto the type of man he was when she knew him.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Nancy Van Patten

Why is there not more discussion about Castro abusing his wife? Is this a fact? If so, why were there never charges filed against him and why didn't police look more closely at him at that time? Did he live in the area where the girls were taken when he abused his wife?

May 10, 2013 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Hi Nancy,

I too am waiting for the roll-your-sleeves-up aspects of this to be discussed on here,and so far it's in vain:people all of yesterday endlessly discussing language barriers,who speaks Spanish/English,and who doesn't,gloryhunters you always get in these instances(the so-called 15 minutes of fame),and all the while you wait for some decent debate with
      the knowledge those poor women have been repeatedly punched in the guts to induce miscarriages,but,oh no,nobody
      is talking about that despite me putting up many posts on various pages to kickstart things–no responses.

Guess it's just you and me,Nance(your place or mine?).

Thank you for posting,should be all three in the dock.Peace.

May 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mark

Some of these people disgust me! They will do anything to get on television and get their 15 min. of fame. I'm sure there's probably numerous other little girls that Castro touched or caressed over the years! Just because you were close to him over a two-year period does not make you necessarily a possible victim. This girl did not look old enough to suit what Castro seemed to be looking for as far as age group goes. Mr. Morgan should quit wasting airtime on people like this. He could've spent more time with Jada regarding her organization. We need more people like her, whether they are celebrities are not teaching the children on the do's and don'ts in life, without sugarcoating it! Jada said that she is very straightforward regarding topics like this with her children, so let's make this topic a class that is mandatory in elementary school?

May 10, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Dawn Tobin

I feel the mother of Ariel Castro dropped the ball in this awful case. At the point where her son showed up with a 6 year old girl who was wearing a diaper and looked like him and seemed completely attached to him she should have asked "what is going on here? Where is the mother? Where does this child live? Where does she go to school? Is this my grandchild? What is going on in my son's life? I have an adult son, and I would have a lot of questions if my son showed up with a 6 year old girl and no "girlfriend". How may times did Ariel Castro's mother meet this girl , and how could she not suspect that something was off?!!!

May 10, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

All still coming out in the wash,Dawn,but it's plenty apparent there's a whole lot of dysfunction going on here.

Thanks for posting.

May 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Deb

Make a fund for the girls so we can send money to help them start over and get the help they need, write them to offer encouragment and Michelle Knight seems to need the most help of all. No family support, treated the worst, the forgotton one and needs to know the world does care for her to.

May 10, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Griff.

"Obviously??? Really what do I know about you, Pierse. We take people as we find them, and never look for skeletons!"

May 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Biff Griff

'Piers',double quote man.(It's 'Pliers' further up.)

May 10, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Griff.

"It's so embarasing, Pierse. You feel you're just commenting, and then you get to see that person in the flesh!"

May 10, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Egypt alternative paypal

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
    sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it
    with someone!

May 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Highland Laddie

Not a problem,Egypt,we have The Mad Griff up top,and on other pages,regular loony bin here.

If you want any 'help' with your cousin I can stir a bucket of lime...

May 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply