Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 16th, 2013

Jay Carney on recent seizing of AP records: "As a reporter for 21 years, I am extremely sympathetic to concerns about the ability of reporters to pursue journalism freely"

With the unrelenting glare of the national media pointed squarely at Washington D.C. this week, tonight Piers Morgan welcomes Jay Carney for a wide-ranging, primetime interview.

Joining "Piers Morgan Live" from Pennsylvania Avenue, the White House Press Secretary was asked for his response to recent revelations that the Justice Department had seized phone records belonging to numerous journalists at the Associated Press:

"I very strongly believe, as does the president, in the need for the press to be able to pursue investigative journalism freely. I strongly believe, as does the president, in the First Amendment, and the Freedom of Speech, and the Freedom of the Press. These are core values of our democracy," noted the man who spent more than three years serving as Washington Bureau Chief for "Time" magazine. "I also believe, as does the president, that we have to protect, our national security, secrets. Our classified information, because the consequences of not protecting them can be severe, and can be damaging to our national security. And they can endanger the lives of American men and women abroad."

Citing the need to allow journalists to do their jobs, while also maintaining a safe environment for the country, Carney calls upon his own media background to detail the challenges currently being negotiated:

"As a reporter for 21 years, I am extremely sympathetic to concerns about the ability of reporters to pursue journalism freely, and so is the president, and that's why we have to find this balance," Carney tells Morgan. "It is necessary for an administration, for a president, to ensure that the secrets that protect Americans abroad, and that protect our national security, are not leaked, because the consequences of that can be severe."

Tune in at 9 as Carney explains his understanding of the reasons why the DOJ found it necessary to capture the AP's records.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Ichiro

Piers, why didn't you INTERRUPT or TALK OVER Carney???
    You let him finish more than a few sentences!! What happened to your signature interviewing technique???

May 17, 2013 at 4:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Piers Morgan

Hi Itchy!

I was digesting my quota of crumpets!Bit tubby nowadays!Keep my strength up,important in my TOP job!

Thanks for WATCHING AS ALWAYS!

May 17, 2013 at 5:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Duane Pounder

This Obama Administration think we are studied.
    Carny will keep playing the blame, until we give up.

May 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Playing the blame?

May 18, 2013 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ARand

The more I listen to Carney the more I'm reminded of Baghdad Bob.

May 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. David Alicea

Why does news reporter give out secret mission that CIA is on like Benghazi U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens. was on a secret mission with the CIA to oust libyan government with two CIA kill near the CIA annex not the US Embassy in Tripoli where it is safe with USMC. What kind of American reporter would put our man and woman in amway

May 19, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gregory Shepherd

Try retyping your post,David,so I can get what you mean.

May 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ar

I liked youin the begining but now I find you incredibly rude, opinionated and arrogant. You call people names and interrupt them at a louder tone of voice like a 5 year old child. You are definately not there to have a conversation but to "grill" your guests. I am all for tough questions but I am also for tough answers which you seem to reject. We all have the right to behave in whatever manner we wish as long as it is not harmful to others and it is your show, but please be a bit more respectful and impartial. Thanks

May 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. tpar

I find all this deeply disturbing , having grown up at a time when as a child , teachers having us hide under desks in case the Soviets bombed us , and being taught that the Soviet people had no freedoms and were under constant scrutiny by their government ( Communist ) . Now it seems more and more like we are gradually moving to that reality . Control the press and the flow of information and control a people . Am i the only one that feels this way ???

May 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tim

No tpar, you are not the only one who feels threatened by big government.

May 21, 2013 at 7:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Liberal

Jay Carney is a funny guy.
    Every time he makes the news, I think of that Austin Power's line and how it fits Jay so well....
    Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.
    Fits him to a tee....

May 21, 2013 at 10:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gregory Shepherd

Smells like cabbage yet has a prestigious job at the White House.

Do you?

May 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Private Personal Training

"As a reporter for 21 years, I am extremely sympathetic to concerns about the ability of reporters to pursue journalism freely" The problem is the White House is not! and Any one who say's it is, is fooling them selves.

January 26, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply