Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 17th, 2013

Bob Costas talks sportscasting with Jason Kurtz: "My first salary was 11 grand a year in 1974"

Following his entertaining and engaging interview with Piers Morgan (airing Friday, 9 p.m.,) sports broadcasting legend Bob Costas was gracious enough to spend some time in the show's "Green Room," sharing some humorous anecdotes, and showing off some of his patented Syracuse University pride.

Speaking exclusively with Jason Kurtz, the eight-time National Sportscaster of the Year award-winner reminisced about his early days working as an announcer, despite not officially graduating from college:

"My first salary was 11 grand a year in 1974 to call the Spirits of St. Louis of the ABA, but I did leave Syracuse prior to graduation. I don't regret the decision, much as I love the 'Cuse and I maintain a strong connection to them," Costas explained. "I thought well, a chance to not only do pro basketball, but to do it on KMOX in St. Louis, a legendary radio station, has a chance to lead to some good things. And it did. So, that's why I did what I did. Although there wasn't an immediate pot of gold."

Upon learning that Kurtz is a fellow Orangeman, Costas exclaims with glee, "this is a Syracuse centric interview! And all you Notre Dame, and Boston College, and Georgetown, and Fordham people, it's annoying, I know, I apologize. A blanket apology."

Watch the above clip to hear Costas offer details of the time he was once encouraged by his boss to grow a beard for an on-camera job, and then tune in at 9 as he joins Morgan, and a live, studio audience, for a full hour of primetime television covering everything from gun legislation to Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, and Mickey Mantle.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Green Room
  1. Griff.

"Whatever it costa, it must have beena grand year for somone?"

May 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Marty

Oh, not him again.

May 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Are you referring to His Griffness?

You and me both...

May 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mike

Piers you and Bob can both load your sorry asses up and go live in Britian. We left tyranny some 230 years ago and will not stand for it again. You don't like it well...Bye

May 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scales From Their Yankee Eyes

Now now,Mikey Wikey!

May 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • I Want A 3some With Mike & Todd

I want to gay-marry you in Scotland,I'll try you out first–

I'll wear a kilt!

In Edinburgh!!!!!!!!!

You know,near Dunblane?

May 17, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Prime Minister George Grenville LEGEND

Piers,

Piers,the peasants are revolting:had enough of whips,Piers,still rebelling,the doggy-woggies,spiked dusters,Piers,I think:
      they're from South Colony.D'ye know,Piers,prior to recolonization they were SELLING GUNS TO 5-YEAR-OLDS!

5!

Same mental age as them! Delinquent Drones! And you should see their sisters! Eyes meet in the middle! Like Malcolm!

Carry on!

(Have you seen Cornwallis?They're REVOLTING,Piers!)
      !

May 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Todd

They over paid you Costas! You and Piers can kiss my gun! Hey Piers still bitter over the butt kicking the red coats took? I think it had a lot to do with the fact that your country was dumb enough to stand in a straight line and be shot! Why don't you take your love a tyrannical government and promote it back in the UK!

May 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Americans Like Dressing As Sailors At The Gay Bar

Hell,well there dumbo y'all need AR-15s to shoot varmints and 19 of your own Forgotten urinated on by the United States.

Twenty Candles.

May 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scales From Their Yankee Eyes

Are you from the South?

Are you 5?

May 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Raj Anand

Hey Piers, You asked Mr Costas a question about why Americans call their Baseball series – ' The World Series '.
    I don't know if you guys were being sarcastic with the answer on the show. But it's because the ' New York World' paper back in 1882 was its main sponsor and wanted their name incorporated with the cup. I am sure your producers might have enlightened you by now. This is just in case.

May 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Highland Laddie

Don't care,I'm STICKING IT TO YANKS AND THEIR QUAINT AND QUIRKY ACCENTS THAT SOUND LIKE BUGS BUNNY ON
      LAUGHING GAS AND CANADA IS BEST COS IT LISTENS UNLIKE DUMBO BEST GUN BROWN BESS UK#1.

May 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • ARand

You're no highlander. At best just another Numpty lowlander from Dumfries. But I'm tempted to say you're just a Welshman.

May 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. oxtapus

Reblogged this on Oxtapus *beta.

May 18, 2013 at 1:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • @REALHighland Laddie

Ha-ha! Numpty from Dumfries! WHY Dumfries? Let's hear the Yanks pronounce THAT!

(I really am,y'know,sporrans and everythin',and NO PANTS RIGHT NOW ! )

Saturday night in Edinburgh=Friday night in Perth...

May 18, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. susanne sniffin

Piers-Why not let David retire without a snide remark from you

May 18, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. susanne sniffin

To Bob Costas
    Did you ever look into Pete Rozelle's keeping soccer out

May 18, 2013 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sniffin' Glue

Your message didn't finish,Susanne...

(lemme guess:God,guns,2nd Amendment,Limeys,Commies,Muslims,grassy knolls,passing the buck,scapegoating,
      xenophobia,paranoia,tin foil,aliens...give it a big stir every day,and you have the USA!)

Rule Britannia.[NO SCHOOL SHOOTINGS 17 YEARS,SOMETHING ELSE WE'RE BETTER AT WHICH AIN'T DIFFICULT!]

May 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sue

The hour spent with Bob Costas was the most enjoyable hour I spent in a very long time watching TV.

May 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blueberry Hill

Are you his wife,and,if so,is that your idea of a thrill?

May 19, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tony

Piers, how about you look into Rachel Maddow's allegation against ABC News – see link below: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#51923619

May 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ARand

Anything coming from MSNBC is ludicrous at best.

May 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply