Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 17th, 2013

"Piers Morgan Live, Rewind": Carney backs OBama, Sanford says government consistently overextends, Penn Jillette broken hearted

Whether you fell asleep early, stayed out too late, or simply want to watch it again, we realize it's not always possible to get your entire "Piers Morgan Live" fix from television. As an answer to this, we offer the below labor of love – "Piers Morgan Live, Rewind" – dedicated and designed to getting you caught up and connected to the conversation.

• Backing Barack: Carney says president has followed protocol

On Thursday, "Piers Morgan Live" welcomed Jay Carney for a primetime interview that comes amidst a multitude of supposed scandals currently bearing down on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Asked to defend recent reports questioning Barack Obama's involvement, or perceived lack thereof, in events tied to his own administration, the White House Press Secretary insisted that the commander-in-chief's activity has been in complete accordance with protocol:

"It is entirely inappropriate for a president or a White House to be engaged in or, you know, inappropriately knowledgeable about a criminal investigation the likes of which is under way as we understand it by the Justice Department," noted Carney. "Those kind of narratives sound right but when you peel back the onion just a little bit, the facts just don't support it. What the president has done when it comes to the IRS situation is that when he found out based on the I.G.'s report that there had been inappropriate and wrong conduct by IRS personnel, he spoke out about it, he made clear he thought it was an outrage and he has taken action. He is the only person thus far who has taken action."

• On the Mark: Sanford insists government has overstepped boundaries

A week after winning a special election in South Carolina, Mark Sanford spoke live with Piers Morgan in an interview that came at the conclusion of his first day back at work.

Asked by the host to address recent controversies — including the IRS's supposed targeting of the Tea Party and other conservative groups, as well as the Department of Justice reportedly seizing the Associated Press's phone records – Sanford suggested that such scandals were merely a microcosm of behavior consistent with the government's behavior:

"This is part of a larger pattern that I do think obviously disturbs conservatives. And I think it ought to concern every American regardless of one's political stripe or flavor. And that is the pattern within the executive branch, within the administration, of overstepping bounds. And so if you look at here the size and scale of, you know, the AP investigation, its scale is completely out of bounds with what you've seen in the past," he told the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "I think that the frustrating thing for a lot of folks, as they begin to look into these three different mine fields, is has there been a pattern of the executive branch over-stretching with regard to what it has historically done, particularly as it relates to I think a great tradition in this country, which is an independent and open press."

• "The BullPenn": Jillette admits to being broken hearted over IRS scandal

On Thursday evening, Piers Morgan debuted a brand new segment entitled "The BullPenn," during which he invited American illusionist, comedian, and author Penn Jillette to share his candid commentary on some of the polarizing issues dominating the news cycle.

"This is one of those things that just breaks my heart," confessed Jillette, referring to recent revelations that the IRS had targeted various conservative groups. "I have a lot of friends in the small government movement, the Tea Party movement, you know, that I don't necessarily agree with on everything. When they say stuff like the IRS is targeting them, I want to be able to dismiss them. I want to be able to say, you're just being nuts. You're being paranoid. This is tinfoil hat stuff. I never want them proven right."

Nodding with approval, Morgan took the topic one step further, agreeing in part with some of his previous guests suggestion that a government takeover isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility:

"I've had some of the pro-gun lobbyists on here saying to me, 'well, the reason we need to be armed is because of tyranny from our own government.' And I've always laughed at them. And I've always said, 'don't be so ridiculous. Your own government won't turn itself on you.' But, actually, when you look at this — it's nothing to do with guns. But actually, this is vaguely tyrannical behavior by the American government. I think what the IRS did is bordering on tyrannical behavior. I think what the Department of Justice has done, actually, to the AP is bordering on tyrannical behavior."

Joining the host for a live, face to face interview, the 58-year-old noted Atheist concurred:

"This's no doubt about that," said the man who comprises 50 percent of the famed magical team Penn & Teller. "I also think that it shows you how much we can trust the government and just sit back, which is not very much at all. We have to be ever vigilant."

For the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live, Rewind
  1. V haney

Are you an idiot?

May 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Piers Morgan

Hello,my Yank Chums!

You know,there are more nouns in addition to 'retard','moron,'idiot' in the ENGLISH language that DON'T describe you so
      accurately!

Must dash!

Thanks for WATCHING,DUMBOS!

Toodle-pip!

May 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Justice For Sandy

Weapon used:Bushmaster XM 15-E2S,butt at 5-o'-clock to remove shards of glass at front door as captured on video.

Rounds fired:(hollow point:154;14 to shoot lock,remainder pumped into children point blank range).

Damage: 20 dead infants [19 US;1 UK],bones turned to dust,in medical parlance 'snowstorms',faces peeling away in
        deliberate attempt to shear them off in two cases,one child[boy]holding his chin in shock as he died.

6 adults [female].

Mendacity/slander:haphazardly on this blog and others.

Status:forsaken soon to be forgotten and filed with all the others

Prayer: for them and The United States Of America once they've finished pi$$ing on their graves.

May 19, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paul Wiest

You actually came close to real journalism last night while interviewing Jay Carney, Piers. Your started to interject a salient point in response to Carney's assertion that acting IRS Commissioner Steve Miller was fired by Obama, but you sheepishly allowed him to dominate the interview and talk over you, so you lost your nerve to correctly pointing out to Carney that was actually about to retire anyway. Way to throw softballs. No wonder your ratings are so far below Fox News.

May 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ARand

Not to mention that Mr Miller was stepping down in 2 weeks anyway. Some punishment... And yes, where is all the interrupting of guests from Morgan we're so used to? Guess we know who's really signing Morgan's paycheck and I doubt it's Ted Turner.

May 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Justice For Sandy

Highlight in navy-blue,and click right button,then select go to website option.

May 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Free media

The cost of war no one wants to hear about.

May 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

You sound as if you're complaining at the cost of patching them up.Well,you've got some nerve,and I doubt YOU will ever
      have to endure the horrors THEY did–money well spent:US Army got a contract with Dundee,Scotland who make the best cyberarms available,even hold a glass without breaking,and the lads comin' home deserve the best as they GAVE their best.Sellin' 'em fast as they can make 'em.

Just like AR-15s...

May 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Justice For Sandy

Highlight in navy-blue,and click right button,then select go to website option.

May 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Melissa

Did Piers Morgan just say he now understand the concept of needing to be armed to protect yourself from your government! WOW! My brain is officially blown! "These are the days that try men's souls" I am a card carrying NRA member and will never leave the protection of myself, my family, or my community to the government alone, because absolute power corrupts absolutely. I live by one very simple idea "All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to stand and do nothing" Sir Edmund Burke. I will not give up my inalienable rights given to me by God and nature, not now nor ever, because those who give up the right of self protection will have no way to stop someone from taking the other right from them, so to me the 2nd Amendment is by far the most important one.

May 18, 2013 at 4:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

Given by God and nature...dear oh dear oh dear NRA Robot.

Time of the month?

May 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Melissa

WOW really? Is it my time of the month? Oh how respectful and supportive of a woman's personal opinion, yep Libs are certainly the party of tolerance and the party for women! So the fact that I am a well trained woman who is a very responsible gun owner doesn't matter, nor does the fact that I have been the victim of a violent crime and personally know the cost of being unarmed. That's right just a brainwashed robot here!

May 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • For Connecticut's Sake...

You wanna talk about God,Robot?

We built the spire of Westminster to His glory,then go look at Lincoln,Durham,York,Wells,Canterbury,and on,and on,
      in worship of Him for a 1000 years while YOU'RE still a swamp.(NOTHING like them in Overrated And Over There.)

Wish it still was.

May 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • The USA Can't Tie Its Own Shoelaces Let Alone Secure Its Schools

They're like Masons with guns,yo.

(Wayne La Pierre looks like Dennis Nilsen.)

May 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shepherdgregory

Dear Melissa,

Well,stop going on about God and guns:James VI of Scotland DOES NOT say in His Bible about Amerika owning guns.

And I'VE been a victim of violent crime too,as has my family in Scotland's worst ever crime with the exception of Glencoe,
    and the aftermath of Culloden.It's on the other page.

We had a member of the NRA pretty much THREATENING us from the off a month ago,and glad he left again.[Dan].

For me,if the NRA concentrated on marksmanship and dexterity,steady arms,locking 'em away unlike Mrs Lanza I'd have
    more tolerance for them.But they just want to peddle more guns regardless what happens in Connecticut.

P.S.I apologize for T.O.T.M.,a low blow,no pun intended.

May 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Justice For Sandy

Highlight in navy-blue,and click right button,then select go to website option.

May 19, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ARand

Regarding Pier's interview with Penn Gillette. It's good to see Mr Morgan be able to open his eyes and recognize the danger of what's transpiring, and can happen if we continue down the road of top-down, State run CONTROL.

And this isn't just an issue of the political right being attacked. It could very easily be the left in a couple years. Worse yet is that the IRS will be overseeing our Healthcare system, and the woman running that is the one who was over those responsible for these recent violations.

Hopefully, we can get past all these SuperPACs, thanks to yet another bad SCOTUS decision and have both parties advertising dollars be a bit more honest and less distorted. Then again, maybe I'm asking too much here.

May 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. directory

I’ll right away grasp your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me understand in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

May 24, 2013 at 5:33 am | Report abuse | Reply