Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 22nd, 2013

After watching "Piers Morgan Live" interview, insurance company to cover heroic Oklahoma teacher's medical bills

Just hours after sharing her courageous and emotional story with Piers Morgan, heroic teacher Suzanne Haley learned that her insurance company would be covering her medical bills. A single mom, Haley was protecting a room full of students – including her own two daughters – when a piece of classroom furniture impaled her leg during Monday's Oklahoma tornado:

"The wall came in and landed right on top of us, on the desk. Initially I thought something large and heavy was just on my leg, and I was stuck," Haley told the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "I couldn't move. None of us could move. We finally got to roll around and kind of get out of the way, and I asked my daughter if she could see if that was something that was just on my leg that could be lifted, that I could pull out, and she realized and screamed that it was in my leg."

Compelled to protect her students and provide calm amidst a terrifying situation, the Special Education aide from Briarwood Elementary School managed to maintain her composure, despite her own fear and pain:

"Amazingly by the grace of God I kept it together. If it's shock, it's shock. I couldn't go into hysterics in front of my children, in front of the other students. I had to be calm for them. Not even until after surgery, when I came out of anesthesia, did I lose it."

As emergency personnel took her to a hospital that her insurance doesn't normally cover, Haley was initially concerned about paying for the treatment she received. But after seeing her interview on "Piers Morgan Live," the insurance company took action, notifying the selfless teacher that they would in fact be handling the hospital costs for injuries sustained during her moment of heroism.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Jackie

Shame, shame, shame on the profit-making insurance company/companies who will not cover these American Heros injuries! Maybe you should publicize their name(s) so they can be recognized for their greed.

May 22, 2013 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jim Sherman

This is a horrible event. These teachers saved the lives of so many kids. Thank God for our teachers. And for the insurance company, they put "greed" aside and did the right thing. I would hate to have a child and be the person who made the decision to not cover such a hero. Thanks to the insurance company who paused for a moment to do the right thing. A bigger thanks and blessing for selfless love of a dedicated person.

May 22, 2013 at 2:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Barbara Messick

My 10 year old daughter and I watched this story...having been a teacher myself, I know the money she makes or made won't make up for her losses. She did a heroic thing. We were glad to hear this morning that the insurance company will take care of her, however we still want to help her from here. We reside in a small town in North Carolina. This morning we have started a collection for Suzanne Haley and her two girls. She will need to money to still help with not only some of the medical but also to rebuild, retrieve her vehicle, etc. We have written to the email asking where we can send the money we are going to collect. We have the community helping as well as the local High School.

May 22, 2013 at 7:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg Orton

Barbara, I watched the program also. Piers said they would place her relief info on their website but I don't see it. Do you have any information on where we can donate money for her recovery? You are correct, she will need a lot more than medical.

May 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. B. Arnold

Have you noticed that when there is activity around a school the teachers always seem to be preforming heroic acts to save the children. These people give their lives to help your children have the chance to be successful every day of their lives and then put their bodies in front to protect in times of danger. All that for half my engineer's salary...what a bargain. Wake up America!

May 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. marsha dunham

Let us see some commentary about how many people survived in above ground safe room. Forget the basement thing..I don't care what the contractor says basements are leaky and expensive to build, and what about the existing homes? Every house should have a safe room, they can be put a variety of places.Every school should have safe rooms. I have been preaching to the choir since the NewTown Ct. shooting that we should forget arming teachers, but we should spend the money and give the teachers and students someplace to be safe for a period of time, until help can arrive.

May 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gregory Shepherd

Panic rooms in schools certainly would be a way to go;Lanza
      was[see Wikipedia]banging on the door of one of the cupboards,
      a panic room would be ideal for keeping out.Probably come down
      to cost again,but it shouldn't.

'Cos they're trapped at the back,and I'm tired of hearing people
      say:'My fist is a weapon/a knife is a weapon'.
      With a Bushmaster he can slaughter them in seconds
      from the other side of the room,but ferried into a PANIC room.

Good idea,Marsha.[Bullets fired,hollow,close range:154.]

Alex Jones wears T-shirts with assault rifles,owns 50,and thinks
      the Mafia is after him.

Twenty Candles.

May 23, 2013 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. cliff

not to take anything away from what happened or what she did...but if you heard this live at the end she was asking for help for $$ to pay her bills. Wish she would have not said that.

May 24, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg Orton

Hey Cliff, If you listened you would have heard her say that her friends and workmates were setting up a fund for her assuming she was not going to get insurance money for her injuries. She did not ask anyone for anything. She also has to rebuild her life, and replace her car which was found in a lake near the school. Teachers are extremely underpaid for what they do. What she did for her students was an act of heroism and is the most unselfish act I can think of.

May 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply