Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 23rd, 2013

Tornado survivor Alex Barnett meets the two men who rescued him from the rubble: "Thank you very much ... God Bless you"

On Thursday, "Piers Morgan Live" shared a dramatic story of strength, hope, and selfless devotion to fellow mankind, as tornado survivor Alex Barnett joined the program with his emotional account of Monday's events.

Trapped beneath rubble in what remained of his home, Barnett was eventually rescued by two men who heard his screams. Seeing for the first time the video of the good Samaritans discovering him buried alive, Barnett recalled the moment the twister touched down:

"All I seen was the big cloud coming my way and I just went and grabbed my pillow and blanket and went straight to the bathroom," he said. "I no more than got in there just for a second or two, and what little rumbling I heard as it got louder it just, my ears popped, and it was there."

In an amazing display of raw emotion, Barnett then got a chance to meet Juan Olivo and Jerrel Brewer for the very first time. Embracing the men who found him, and sobbing heavily, the guest could only mumble "Thank you very much. God Bless you."

Joining Piers Morgan for the second straight evening, Olivo expressed his reaction to the emotional reunion:

"It's an honor to be here in front of him. I'm amazed that he survived, and I'm happy that he survived."

Brewer meanwhile, believes in paying it forward, admitting he never questioned the decision to pull Barnett from the rubble:

"I would want someone to do that for me if I was in that situation, so I would do it again without even thinking."

Visibly overcome by emotion, Barnett looked forward to spending more time with his rescuers, albeit under an entirely different set of circumstances:

"There's not enough thanks, not enough thanks. Maybe next time we'll be having a soda and a lunch somewhere."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, for the entire emotional reunion between three men whose lives have forever been changed by Monday's tornado.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. oxtapus

Reblogged this on Oxtapus *beta.

May 23, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Miki

I can't believe you interviewed an ex-convict like Michael Vick tonight, as if he were someone who could give any kind of advice of an unplifting or moral nature. I was shocked and disturbed that the animal cruelty he perpetrated could be so callously forgotten by you and your news team.

May 24, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bobby Digital

Hold a grudge much? Have you ever forgiven someone in your life?

May 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Miki

If you'd seen the deep trauma those dogs wound up with, I'm not sure you'd forgive so easily, either. It's not like someone bumping into you in the subway or forgetting your birthday.

May 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • jez

Dorry – I'm black, and I don't think that Vick, the animal torturer deserves any more sympathy than he showed the dogs. To hell with him.

May 26, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Agathar

Post the video. We are eager to see it

May 24, 2013 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. MarkP

Piers is an absolute imbecile. Does he even think about what he asks. Juan and Jerrel are terrific young men who went out and did what i am sure was what they needed to do to help their fellow neighbors. Good job guys.

May 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gregory Shepherd

What did he ask? (Can't watch show.)

May 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jez

I thought it was a nice interview. Where does your anger come from??

May 27, 2013 at 12:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ReasonablePerson88

"First I have to thank the Lord...."

Really????? What is it with religious people that they are able to shut off all critical thinking and ignore glaring facts (all the people, including children, who "the Lord" didn't see fit to save) that contradict the whole notion of a caring, intervening god?

Thank luck and the two young men who saved you.

May 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • nk

Geeze man. Let people think what they want. Its their life to thank people for, not yours.

May 28, 2013 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hadassah

I think it's awesome he thanked The Lord. If the Lord did everything we expected Him to do, or did everything we "think" He should do, then He would be just like us. He would no longer be God. :)

May 28, 2013 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply