Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 10th, 2013

Santa Monica shooting survivor Debra Fine: "What I saw in his eyes was terrifying ... that was somebody who was going out to execute"

Just days after a California gunman led police on a fatal rampage, and roughly 24 hours since a fifth victim was pronounced dead as a result of the Santa Monica shootings, on Monday evening Piers Morgan spoke live with Debra Fine.

Shot four times by the late John Zawahri, Fine survived, and in an exclusive interview on "Piers Morgan Live" she detailed the frightening and painful ordeal:

"What I saw in his eyes was terrifying, because that was not a human being. That was somebody who was going out to execute. He had no higher functioning going on that I could tell, just absolute execution," Fine told Morgan, as a live audience listened in. "When he turned his gaze to me, I realized that that's what he was going to do, and when he shot into the car, I hit the curb that he was on, and the bullet entered – two bullets entered – my left shoulder, and threw me over to the other side."

Because of his body armor and extensive assortment of weaponry, Fine initially thought the shooter was a member of a security detail in town protecting the visiting president:

"He had had an automatic rifle. And it was very obvious that it was," explained the guest, as she sat beside her husband Russell. "That's why at first I thought he might be with the S.W.A.T. team, because I couldn't understand how a civilian wold have a rifle like that. And he had magazine after magazine of ammunition, so I thought he was official."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's exclusive interview with Santa Monica shooting survivor Debra Fine, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Susan

The first words out of this self-promoting beast's mouth were, "I'm an executive, and I'd taken time off to be with my children. I just 'laid down tracks' to appear on 'The Voice.'" Who cares??? No one wants to know her background. All you or anyone was interested in was her experience regarding the day of the shooting. She made my skin crawl.

June 11, 2013 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jerry W

She took two bullets from this creep, but you criticize her as "self-promoting" because she is relating her state of mind when this all happened? Turn off the tv for a while and find some empathy.

June 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dennis K

Will someone PLEASE inform Piers Morgan that there were no rifles used at the shooting at Sandy Hook. All the injuries were the result of two pistols. No assault rifles, rifles, or shotguns were used to shoot anyone.

This guy is supposed to be reporting news, not making up his own fantasy. When I hear him purposely report things that are untrue, his veracity and that of CNN evaporate. I'm looking for news when I dial in CNN, not pretend.

June 11, 2013 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Phoebe JOhnson

Seriously , you are the one who needs to be informed. The only pistol used was to commit suicide. An AR15 was used to kill everyone else. The results were widely published and reported via a couple of press conferences.

June 11, 2013 at 1:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mister Peebles

You are ignorant and stupid.

Multiple news agencies captured live TV footage of the medical examiner reporting the children and adults were wounded with a "long gun". Take off your tinfoil hat and get a grip. http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/15/us/connecticut-school-shooting

June 11, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MaggieJ

Who told you that no rifle was used at Sandy Hook and why on earth were you gullible enough to believe them?

June 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason B

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis, who have you been listening to? Do you conduct your own research?

I am on the side of firearms freedom, but I have to repeat just as everyone else, the weapon of choice at Sandy Hook was an AR-15. I don't agree with gun control in any form and will fight it in anyway I can. But...

If you're going to fight the control crowd, you have to do it with honesty and facts. You have to be accurate or you just discredit yourself and everything you do for the cause of freedom.

June 11, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pat

LOL, but that what CNN is best at...lying to the public. Google Charles Jaco CNN Fake Newscast about Iraq war, if you don't believe me. :)

June 12, 2013 at 6:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. max

Please stop shooting she begged! And used her cell phone, come on what the hell is wrong with you people if she or the other lady or the people that were waiting like cowards in there home, till he was gone. had guns they could have stopped this. Lambs to the axe is all they are. Sad very sad like people say its okay for the government to have all my stuff, they are trying to keep me save. What is next just march us in to the camps? Wake up. If that had been me or my daughters we would have gone backward as fast as we could in our cars and got out of the car called the cops and pulled my gun, and stayed behind my car. If he had come at me I would have tried to stop him by shooting him in the head or legs. We have become cowards, how sad and that is why so many of our are kids kidnap right out of our homes and there beds and still missing. They don’t even teach them the most deadly weapon is a pen to the eyes and other parts of the body. Fight or you will die. That what I told my kids.

June 11, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • lennard

I second that MAX! Personal responsibility!

June 11, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. MaggieJ

"If he had come at me I would have tried to stop him by shooting him in the head or legs."

That's a nice fantasy but you do realize it's more likely you would have got yourself and maybe some more people shot, right? The idea that any Joe Blow can easily take out a deranged shooter is just, well, deranged.

June 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. brasstacs

The California shooting tragedy proves that gun control doesn't work, because southern California ranks at the top for gun control by the Brady campaign with 81 points ...the highest in the country..so all the California gun control laws that the Brady campaign clams to save lives with, did not prevent the California shooting. and the gunman broke at least 20 gun control laws...proving again that criminals and wacko's don't obey laws. http://www.examiner.com/article/santa-monica-shooting-highlights-that-gun-laws-do-not-work

June 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nichol

Wow! Debra fine seems to be a better actress than those at Sandy Hook Hoax. Santa Monica shooting was just another Obama's false flag to promote his gun control laws. Nothing new here, move on folks! :)

June 12, 2013 at 6:33 am | Report abuse | Reply