Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 11th, 2013

"Piers Morgan Live, Rewind": Whistleblowers support Edward Snowden, Santa Monica victim displays bullet-riddled T-Shirt

Whether you fell asleep early, stayed out too late, or simply want to watch it again, we realize it's not always possible to get your entire "Piers Morgan Live" fix from television. As an answer to this, we offer the below labor of love – "Piers Morgan Live, Rewind" – dedicated and designed to getting you caught up and connected to the conversation.

• TMI for the NSA: Whistleblowers back Snowden

On the heels of recent developments which have revealed 29-year-old Edward Snowden to be the man responsible for leaking details of the National Security Agency's data-mining program, on Monday evening a collection of whistleblowers offered their insight:

"Let me be crystal clear, the government cannot handle the truth. I was at the very nation beginning of the secret surveillance state. The government is lying," insisted NSA Whistleblower Thomas Drake. "They actually violated the constitution willfully and deliberately in the greatest of secrecy ostensibly for the sake of national security. In democracy we cannot have any room for secret laws that are controlled and manipulated and interpreted by the executive. The public has the right to know what the government limits are in terms of its own surveillance."

Bill Binney meanwhile, suggested that keeping the nation safe, while also protecting its citizen's privacy, are concepts that aren't necessarily mutually exclusive:

"The government could have been detecting terrorists from the very beginning without violating anybody's privacy rights. I left that technology with NSA when I got out of there, because they were violating the rights of everyone in the country," the NSA whistleblower told Piers Morgan. "They threw them away, they did that principally because it was clear to me the intent from the beginning was to assemble information about the U.S. citizens so they could have leverage against them."

Joining Drake and Binney in the segment, Jesselyn Radack pledged her support of Snowden, and distrust for the government of America:

"He showed that the United States was violating multiple laws in both the Patriot Act and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act," explained the Government Accountability Project National Security & Human Rights Director. "Why is the government spying on its own people without any probable cause, without any reasonable cause, without any suspicion whatsoever, on completely innocent people? That violates the 4 Amendment of the Constitution and two major laws on the books, and even the laws on the books, there's a secret interpretation of those."

• Holey T-Shirt: Santa Monica victim shows bullet holes

Just days after a California gunman led police on a fatal rampage, and roughly 24 hours since a fifth victim was pronounced dead as a result of the Santa Monica shootings, on Monday evening Piers Morgan spoke live with Debra Fine, a woman shot four times as part of the incident:

"I didn't realize I had this until I got back from the hospital. When they picked me up and put me in the ambulance, this is all that was left of my t-shirt, this is where the two bullets went in to my left side and it tore across my chest and all the shrapnel went across my chest," she explained in an exclusive "Piers Morgan Live" interview. "On the other side is where the other three bullets went in. This was all that was left of my shirt in a matter of three seconds, four seconds. And I just ... I can't believe this was literally torn off my body. The force tore it off my body within three seconds."

For the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

1. brasstacs

Why is it when someone is killed with a bomb, knife,car, poison or what ever the person who did the killing will be blamed.. ..but when someone is killed with a gun the gun grabbers like Morgan will blame the guns.

June 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason B

Amen

June 11, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Bald Eagle Turning Into Firebird

Mr B,are we in church?

We are in a Florida school with bombs like Bath St.

We are in California with a shooter with a gun big as
        the one that got away.

In a week.

We are in supermarkets selling combat rifles diagonally
        placed in trolleys.

In a state.

But I am changing.

Waiting.

'...the NRA,Congress,preponderance of guns falling like
        ninepins into scuffed cinders...' – BETIF,Dec 2012.

Better than Russia tenfold,but there are problems.

I am everywhere,soaring over the Lakes,Michigan,Eyrie...

My America.

And thee shalt ne'er ruin Her.

June 12, 2013 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • sm

Because " B " it is always negligent human error at fault, that's why!!!!!! killing some one in any fashion is total acceptable, right, but. Don't take my Gun Away even though I killed somebody in involuntary manslaughter.......... wsell you must up, deystoyed lives and lost your privilege. think about somebody else besides yourself!~

June 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • brasstacs

sm... get off the bong,.and learn how to spell, and then go get a job...comprende ??

June 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Very Sad Turk

Can someone please analyze the voters of Erdogan. Not 50% of the people who voted for him think and believe in his idelogy. Erdogan is a non-secular man. He does not believe in democracy.