Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 21st, 2013

Dr. Sanjay Gupta on drug overdoses: "Every 19 minutes someone dies of a prescription drug overdose"

“Gone to Pot: America’s Marijuana Obsession,” a one hour "Piers Morgan Live" special will introduce voices from both sides of the marijuana argument offering a number of resources and statistics on the substance. Tonight, CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta breaks through the talking points and discusses the real benefits and effects of marijuana.

“There was so much that [David Evans] was saying that simply wasn’t true,” said the Chief Medical Correspondent. “Every 19 minutes someone dies of a prescription drug overdose - [it] doesn’t happen with marijuana.”

According to Gupta, marijuana has the potential to be an addictive and abusive substance; about nine percent of people may become addicted or psychologically dependent. In comparison, around 15 percent of people become addicted to alcohol, with 23 percent of people using LSD or heroin becoming addicted.

To hear Gupta refute David Evans, Special Adviser to Drug Free America Foundation, tune in tonight at 9. Also, be sure to watch for Gupta’s own documentary, “WEED,” slated to air in August.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Tammy King

Hello,
    I am watching the show now. I have this to say...look at this....https://www.facebook.com/notes/tammy-edge-king/updated-pain-meds/1848913298494
    This is what Methadone did to me. Marijuana should be legal across the board for 18 and up. But, medical MJ is an answer for so many afflictions. Thought it important to share my story. Hoping it can help somehow.
    Take care,
    Tammy

June 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Metro Cannabis, Denver, CO

The studies completely support this! Lives are changed and extended with cannabis oil In 1974 the US Federal Govt purchased one of the largest studies ever made on the health benefits of cannabis oil. They didn't want word to get out that it really does work for many many people. In Colorado, dispensaries like ours are now selling medicinal marijuana in many forms and we hear personal stories everyday on how much improved their life is and/ how much their health has improved. With a spokesperson like this, isn't time to rethink this! Thanks for bringing it to light Tammy!

July 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Anita

I think there are medical benefits from using marijuana but I want to know what are the effects from second hand smoke especially for children? What will prevent adults from using it around children?

June 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynne Hatfield

Anita, if you have a wood stove in your house you get smoke. If you burn toast you get smoke, but if people are smoking anything around kids they should know better by now. That doesn't mean that pot should be illegal, it just means it should be consumed away from children. It's common sense.

June 22, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Robert Works

The two people that were against legalizing pot both had a vested interest in it remaining illegal, a defense attorney and a substance abuse center owner, ha. How many clients and how much money would each lose by having it legalized. Of course they are against it. That stuff that the defense attorney was saying was so much garbage. Where in the world could he having gotten all that crap. Jeez, I bet the people running the private prisons are against it too.

June 21, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. A. Rasmijn

Hello mr. Morgan,

Since 2001 there is a very interesting 'experiment' going on in Portugal. Every kind of drug has been decriminalysed over there. And a person is allowed to have certain amounts of them for personal use.
    Maybe you can go over there with for example Dr. Gupta to see for your self how it's working out in the streets of Lisbon and in the villages of the neighbouring country side.
    And of course present your story in a objective way in your show.
    Keenly awaiting your conclusions,

Greetings

June 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. S. Fennel

BRAVO! BRAVO! Finally a talk show that actually looks at the reality of "drug use" either prescription (legal) or black market (illegal), Keep this talk going! Control of our addiction is the "real" problem.

June 21, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lynne Hatfield

Well, at least someone is talking about the huge difference between prescription drugs and pot, although our good Doctor must realize that addiction to pot is probably overstating it's effect on humans. After all, you can become addicted to potato chips for God sake. Seriously though, I've smoked and eaten cannabis for a good part of my life and yet when I had my kids and at various times throughout my relationships I've stopped cold turkey and not started up again sometimes for years. i don't consider pot addictive either psychologically or physically but it's medicinal value is unquestionable and that is why it needs to be made legal. People can grow it in their own yards just like a common herb and use it in cooking and Juices. The most potent way though is by making oil. If anyone is interested, check out http://www.phoenixtears.ca and get the Rick Simpson story as well as how to produce the oil. Time is ticking down for the human race and no one can afford the price of the current medical system. Better to take your health into your own hands folks.

June 22, 2013 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anne

I totally agree Lynne,people need to educate themselves on the use of cannabis oil and it's benefits and lives that have been saved ,it's all about saving lives not getting high!! I would like to see "Rick Simpson" on the show about the cure for cancer with his recipe for hemp oil.I think it's well overdue to give the people the real truth,the proof is out there that hemp oil has cured many diseases and ailments.Smoking cannabis is totally different then ingesting the hemp oil.The pharmaceutical companies can't cash in on cannabis or patent it and if cannabis oil is a cure all they would be out of business!! It's these companies we should be worried about they are the biggest dope pushers in the world,so wake up people.Watch Rick Simpson on youtube he has no agenda except to save lives!!

July 22, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Bill

For me the issue is freedom. Adults should be able to choose how they want to live. Why does anyone have the right to dictate to another adult what they can ingest.

June 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kevin Jones

This segment demands extra information. What is the Addiction rate to legally prescribed pain killers? If it is greater than 9% then doctors are pushing the wrong first line medicines against statistical reasoning.

June 22, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jake

Huge misconception about marijuana: IT'S NOT ADDICTING. Your body cannot physically get addicted to it like you can with a narcotic or prescription pills. You MAY form a habit, which habits can be broken. My friend smoked multiple times a day, everyday for a long period of time and stopped for almost 3 months when he was trying to get a job. No addiction to be found. Also that piece of information "23 percent of people using LSD or heroin becoming addicted." I hope that's directed more towards LSD cause I know for a fact that heroin gets people addicted more than 65% of the time. It's one of the most addictive drugs in the world, to say that 23% of users get addicted is ridiculous!!

August 7, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sdorttuiiplmnr

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write on my blog something like that. Can I implement a fragment of your post to my site?

August 10, 2015 at 3:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Iliana Majic

I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were very beneficial very helpful

July 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Alfonso Fragman

I am really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is actually annoying. A good website with interesting content, that’s what I need. Thanks for keeping this web site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.

July 17, 2016 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Garth Westenbarger

I simply learned all about your internet site the other day and i also are already studying this frequently. You use a ton of practical information on the site and that i benefit from the particular style of the web page additionally. Keep up the good work!

July 19, 2016 at 4:56 am | Report abuse | Reply