Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 21st, 2013

Tonight at 9: "Pot Moms" tell all

As part of a special "Piers Morgan Live" entitled "Gone to Pot: America's Marijuana Obsession," tonight Piers Morgan welcomes Cheryl Shuman, January Thomas, Amie Machado and Glenda Gurrlen, collectively called the "Pot Moms," to talk about their experience with cannabis and why they choose the drug over many others.

“Marijuana is the slang name and cannabis is actually the true scientific name... It deserves some respect,” declares Shumam, known as the "Martha Stewart of Marijuana." “The bottom line is cannabis is here to stay, the toothpaste is out of the tube,” says Shuman, the creator of the Beverly Hills Cannabis Club.

Shuman and Machado both turned to marijuana for health concerns, but their introduction to the drug inspired them to build successful businesses within the industry. "I make cookies, I make cakes - anything and everything you can do," explains Machado, owner of Auntie's Edibles.

In response to critics who say that marijuana is the first step off a slippery slope, Machado says “you need to educate your children." Machado, who has three children, now includes her own son in her business.

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with the "pot moms," and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Jodi

I suffer from Fibromyalgia and depression and anxiety and have 3 children aged 5,4 and 2. Last year, my 4th daughter Julliette died of SIDS. Not only did I fall apart emotionally but my health has deteriorated immensely. I live in Canada, where I don't have access to medical pot and have to be very careful not to get caught buying because I dont't want to lose my children. Pot has saved me. not only does it take away a good part of the pain ( which is in every inch of my body every day 365 days a year)but it gives me the patience i'm lacking now because I'm mentally messed up. I AM DEFINATELY a better mother when I use. For several reasons,one being that less pain means more physical interaction with my girls and quality time with them, when I am not in tears because off my loss (not only Julliette, but my garandmother and my stepmother within 6 months). I also smoke cigarettes BUT I never smoke either in the house. However, medical marijuana is not black market pot. If I was able I definitely would go the legal route.

June 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Jodi,
      I sort of go through what you're goin through by means of losing family and severe medical issues. I've had both shoulders completely reconstructed and lost my aunt on my b-day and then less than year later my dad to ice fishing and I along with my wife and then 8yr old son had to watch the sheriff pull him out of the lake because no one else could be bothered to go help with the search. Anyhow, since all this in the last 3 years, now I'v e been diagnosed with severe IBD and gastroparisis( paralyzed stomach muscles). I live in Michigan and am a medical marijuana patient/ grower, because I can't afford the price for a caregiver. I've talked to my GI dr and pain management dr and they both say if you can't get the smokeable or edibles, talk to your dr and see about the possibilities of getting a prescription for Marinol. It's concentrated and usually dose is 1 or 2 capsule 2x a day. It helped me for awhile till I wrecked my shoulder and opted against surgery every 3-5 years for pins and plates. If you could grow a few small plants in a closet and keep them small you'd have enough meds for close to a month. Just a suggestion, lol, is how I got started. Not sure bout much of Canada laws but I know just north of Detroit we're doing good with the medical and looks as it's going to get better. Hope you find some relief all the way around. Sucks being in this depression box.

June 22, 2013 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • sam

In live in Canada also, we have a medical system – but it is broken and getting more broken with the new legislation that the Government of Canada just passed. The problems are: we rely on medical doctors to write prescriptions as a first step to accessing the legal exemption....and the Medical Associations that license the doctors are "strongly advising" their members not to write a prescription for Cannabis. So, the majority of doctors will drop you as their patient even if you are brave enought to broch the subject with them.....also they are phasing out the ability to let patients grow cannabis personally so soon their will a corporate growing company that will be shipping Cannabis through our mail system....and the cost will be significantly higher.....I really hope that all Canadians band together in the next Federal election and demand the Legalization of Cannabis for everyone....so those that use it for hard-core medical issues or those that use it for relaxation or mild pain relief for tired and aching muscles after a long day of work instead of some pharmaceutical with known side effects – all will have access.....really it is more harmful than alcohol (which KILLS people) or cigarettes (which KILLS people) ? Or is cannabis allowed to be included as an effective alternative medicine and occasional recreation pleasure....

June 22, 2013 at 8:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Priscilla

Medicinal cannabis is legal in Canada since 2001. Thank God!

Google: The Medicinal Cannabis Patient Alliance of Canada

I've been using cannabis legally since 2002 for RA/Lupus. It's worth the hassle of coming out of the cannabis closet.
      Cannabis is medicine and needs to be treated as such. My quality of life has improved, thanks to cannabis.

June 22, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Drew Kolman

Piers - just watched your comments and conclusions after interviewing the moms from California in favor of pot usage. Bro, your conclusions are incredibly shallow and naïve. You barely asked them anything. They barely answered anything... and when you asked one of them (Janery Thomas?) what her dosage was all she could say was 'HALF A COOKIE!' And you took it hook, line and sinker. Your level of critical thinking concerning what they said was woefully pathetic. C'mon Piers. Don't be so ridiculous (literally meaning 'able to be ridiculed').

June 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jackie Rabb

Great show tonight Piers. Finally the facts are beginning to be revealed about cannabis and the decades-old-myths are being debunked on a national level. I'm a successful civil engineering student, and I do smoke cannabis. It has never had a negative impact on my personal life, and it has never had a gateway effect for me. I applaud the show tonight.

June 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. melissa

people against legalizing pot must not know their history! in the 30's and 40's when alcohol was illegal people were saying the same thing, they are now saying about pot. No ONE has EVER overdosed on pot! in the history of the world! America can make a lot of money and the crime rate WILL go down! It's amazing when doctors even say pot is not a gate way drug there is no reason why it's not legalized. we have age limits on alcohol and tobacco which are more harmful. put an age limit on pot use the DEA for something useful by monitoring pot sales and make a lot of money in the USA and we will have money that we do not have to borrow from other countries.

June 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Joe

Great show tonight, Piers!

Happy to see so much about pot being discussed and letting the facts get out there.

I wish you mentioned how much second hand smoke kills because I cannot stand the smell of tobacco

June 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sandy Songer

I have parkkinsons, sometimes at night I smoke. I feel so much better, I don't have to take my pills. My doctor says it rellaxes me. It's a relaxing buzz, it relaxes your body,

June 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Gabrielle

How do you guys know no one has ever overdosed on pot?

June 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Danielle V

Gabrielle, we know this because no one has recorded a single incident in the history of mankind of anyone ever overdosing on pot.

June 21, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. K A Gabel

Alot of people say Pot is a gateway drug- I say that not being able to smoke pot compels people to try other drugs-- because Pot is detectable in the blood for at least a month and other more harmful drugs are gone in a day or two - so people are afraid they are going to loose their jobs or children etc if they are ever drug tested , so rather than smoke pot they use other more harmful drugs- which really is harmful and very adictive and self destructive to them and society

June 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Connie Vanacore

The interview about cannabis was interesting. For an additional take on the topic, animals respond favorably to treatment of cancer symptoms and other ailments with proper doses of marajuana. The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association has a large article, written by a veterinarian in its June 15, 2013 issue on this topic.

June 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Nikki

Well done CNN!! It is about time we show the facts and truths about the benefits of Cannabis. Now let's get this information out there for everyone to hear. Its funny how people can beilieve in things based on faith alone and then doubt something with Sceintific Suporrting Facts. Thank you Mr. Piers Morgan for your coverage on this issue. Keep them coming :-)

June 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. scott carter

As a husband of pharmacist, I can't help but notice that the language used by the 'moms' is drug seeking language we hear at the pharmacy all the time. I know moms who use marijuana and they fall asleep and it is VERY difficult to wake them until they are ready, ah that refreshing sleep while they children are left on their own..hmmm

There language reminds me of an alcohol advertisement to 'know when to say when', when you are under the influence you are no judge of your behavior.

I doubt your children will thank you for being drugged when you are supposed to be interacting with them, smiling sheepishly is not interacting.

June 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tobias

Don't the prescriptions your wife fills leave a person "drugged"? A little honesty would be refreshing here, a large number of prescription drugs used to treat symptoms (notice I didn't say "cure" the symptoms, that would lose customers) have worse side-effects than marijuana. Lose the hypocritical nonsensical arguments and focus on facts to help your stance. Like the fact that a bigger problem than marijuana, is a large number of marijuana users are fairly useless. Working at a head shop is not a career, bathing is not unnecessary, and responsible marijuana users would appreciate it if these types of "pot-heads" would stay out of the media.

Weird how the facts seem to cloud the situation, eh?

July 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Teemu Nyholm

This is a start, but next time Piers interview people like Rick Simpson, Dr. Janet Sweeney at phoenixtearsfoundation.ca or Prof. Robert Melamede behind Cannabis Science and you will get a story larger than life...

July 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Emori

I have had addictions problems with worse drugs than weed and w alcohol. I tried weed before both and did not become addicted. God made cannabis to heal us. You cannot I'd on weed

July 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Emori

Way to go pretty ladies! Keep it going

July 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Emori

Methamphetamine and pills and alcohol are dangerous to our moods not weed

July 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Emori

Lung cancer-tobacco. Alcohol poisoning/asset losses/abuse/ list goes on -alcohol marijuana-......... Um ?

July 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply