Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 25th, 2013

Joel Osteen on Nik Wallenda's calm nature: "I was more nervous than he was"

On Tuesday evening, pastor Joel Osteen returned to “Piers Morgan Live.” But while the best-selling author is no stranger to the program, this marked his first stint "In The Chair," as the televangelist joined Piers Morgan for the show's signature interview segment.

Over the weekend, Osteen was on hand as daredevil tightrope-walker Nik Wallenda covered a quarter mile trek, 15000 feet high above the Grand Canyon, praying every step of the way.

"You as a pastor, there's a man repeating over and over again, Jesus, pray, God, and so on," noted Morgan. "If he had fallen, what would you have said?"

Admitting such a concept never actually entered his mind, Tuesday's guest offered his perspective on Wallenda's monumental walk of faith:

"I guess my thoughts were, Piers, that, you know he was doing what he loved to do. He felt like he is fulfilling his destiny of doing that," explained Osteen. "He comes from seven generations of it. Nik is a great guy. If he had fallen, I would have to cross the bridge when we got to it. It would have been tragic but we just focused on the fact that he made it through, and you know, we're just happy for him."

A man who leads services seen in more than 100 nations around the world, Osteen revealed his message to Wallenda prior to his journey over the Grand Canyon:

"I prayed that God would give him strength and skill and that the gifts God had given him would come out to the full, that he would have focus and not be distracted, just that he would be at his best and the top of his game and the winds wouldn't be too strong," explained the senior pastor of Houston's famed Lakewood Church. "A prayer of peace and really it was amazing, too, Piers before the walk, an hour or two before, Nik - I was more nervous than he was. He's an extremely calm, peaceful person. He just believes he's in the palm of God's hand doing what he's supposed to do. So he's an amazing man, and we just prayed for peace and strength, though."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with Osteen, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: In the Chair
  1. greg

Just guessing I would have said he referred to a higher power at least 500 times during his 22 minute walk. But I went back and counted. It was only 132 times. Here's the breakdown:

Jesus: 62
    Lord: 37
    God: 12
    Christ: 3
    Father: 8
    King: 5
    Savior: 5
    ----
    Total: 132

June 26, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mister Peebles

During the on-air interview, at one point Mr. Osteen credited (among other things) "the best science and technology" available to aid Nik Wallenda in his incredible feat.

This an amazing accomplishment but not sure God had anything to do with it, since many of Wallenda's predecessors have died doing similar stunts.

If Osteen wasn't head of a large church, he'd be selling used cars. His message is positive but the only one getting rich is him.

June 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jan Ryals

Your a holyman of god and i need help and I am asking you for help to move my family back home there are no jobs here and I'm in fear of for my life I truely need your help to get a moveing truck and gas money about 3000. I am on disablity When I said my prays last night I got up knowing I need your guides and helpplz find it in your heart to help me God bless you alway please call me @ 234-223-0070 I beg of you on bended knee.

June 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mister Peebles

Please be careful sharing your name and number on the internet.

Mr. Osteen probably won't help you. There's really nothing he can do short of giving you money, which isn't likely.

I'm sorry you are facing hard times. It's a shame that this is continuing to happen in America. We only have each other. It's time to come together.

June 26, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Gen

Yes it is an amazing accomplishment to Nik Wallenda. But I’m sure God had nothing do with it. Jesus said the Bible. “It is said, do not test the Lord your God”. Nik had put his self at risk to make a stupid history.
    Joel Osteen knows nothing about salvation. If he knew, as a pastor he will not let Nik to do that stupid thing. If he had fallen, I’m sure that Joel will say it is not the will of God. Do you think that if he died he will go heaven?

June 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Name*sherry

My 64 yr old mother and I are homeless with 2dogs. I've prayed, cried, begged, borrowed. I even told my pastor of our problems and he said he would pray. We are both disabled. We both need surgeries but can't have them due to being homeless. We need help, please help us. I pray you and someone helps us. God Bless you and us too.

June 30, 2013 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Personal Training Long Island

Nik Wallenda your crazy. I don't know what else to add to this comment. You have to be real special person to walk on a tight rope like that.

January 13, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply