Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 26th, 2013

"Crossfire" returns to CNN: Newt Gingrich, S.E. Cupp, Stephanie Cutter, and Van Jones on SCOTUS' rulings

On a day that saw CNN announce the return of “Crossfire”, on Wednesday evening Piers Morgan welcomed the programs' new hosts – Newt Gingrich, S.E. Cupp, Stephanie Cutter, and Van Jones – and invited his foursome to share their individual perspectives on some of the days most-pressing and polarizing news stories.

Turning first to Gingrich, a veteran of "Piers Morgan Live," the host asked the former House Speaker to react to a pair of Supreme Court decisions which are being largely viewed as victories for equal rights amongst same-sex couples.

"What I object to in this case is very clear cut," said Gingrich, referring to the tightly-contested rulings which did away with the Defense of Marriage Act and dismissed Proposition 8. "You had a 5-4 decision to reject eight million Californians on the grounds that eight million people have no standing before the Supreme Court. That's a huge mistake."

Jones, meanwhile, representing the opposite side of the issue than his male counterpart, noted that those who are worried about preserving marriage are taking issue with the wrong people:

"Kim Kardashian has done more harm to traditional marriage than any gay person," he suggested. "The institution of marriage has been falling apart because heterosexuals have been screwing it up. We're the ones getting divorced, we're the ones cheating, we're the ones who are shacking up."

Making her "Piers Morgan Live" debut, Cupp noted the political impact of Wednesday's rulings:

"To me, the significant ruling in DOMA wasn't just that the federal government has to acknowledge the right of gay people to marry, but that the federal government has to acknowledge the right of the states," said the 34-year-old commentator and author. "As a small government Conservative, who supports Federalism, I think this was a huge victory for Federalism, and if you believe in small government, and Conservatism with a 'C,' then you have to see that as at least a sliver lining."

Waiting her turn, Cutter was fine going fourth, and turned few heads with her stance:

"I don't think it's a surprise where I stand. I am very happy about the Supreme Court's decision today on DOMA," she told the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "A lot of us have been against DOMA for a long time and been fighting to overturn it."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with new hosts of "Crossfire," which previously aired on CNN for more than 20 years, but will relaunch this Fall, marking it's return to television for the first time in nearly a decade. And for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. jas106

I was excited to hear that crossfire was returning until I saw that Stephanie Cutter was one of the hosts. I'll have to give this show a pass...

June 27, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

I thought the same thing... looking forward to a new Crossfire... until I saw Newt was one of the hosts... I will NEVER watch the show now.. Newt is the biggest Slime Ball... He truly disgusts me with this BS. He lies so much, he truly has a mental illness.

June 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • steve851

I think the two of you are missing the point of Crossfire. I'm not fond of either of them either. The second string is better

June 29, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Russ Ochoa

I Live in California and a lot of us are not happy but left filling cheated. We voted on something and their was a result!
    So because some of us didn't like the result, they find a way for some other group of people who don't live in California to change it . What is the point of voting to make laws, when we can simply yell more than the other and get your way .
    All I know is that their are two laws. The law of the land And the LAW OF GOD. One lets you have your justice here. The other gives you true justice forever. I know which one I choose .

June 27, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jim

There is no law of god.. stfu with you're nonsense..

June 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • asjfklsajwr

Agreed! The public clearly said NO. The fact that Prop 8 was struck down is bogus and goes against democracy. Boo, SCOTUS.

June 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LT

Well said. That is obviously what we are called to do in this era we have entered. I pray we will follow the examples given us in the Bible for how to be in the world and not of it among so many other exhortations therein.

June 30, 2013 at 4:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • salebored

Gawd will be let out of jail soon , he's one of the 10,000 inmates being released soon. He has no law in this state, Thank Jerry and Braise the Lard!!

August 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. lfarmer2016

CNN Communist News Network, Van Jones is a self admitted communist that Obama appointed and later distanced himself from. The key is that Van Jones admittedly believes in wealth distribution, governement favors/bribes, handouts only to certain groups of americans, and adding politics to green jobs. In an interview on this network he proposed a "jobs" bill for inner city people only, as if unemployment only effects the inner city. The work included in the jobs bill was not of any priority in other words the work was invented and was just a way to channel tax payers money to certain groups. He also said that the government should reward those people who voted for Obama in his re-election, note to Mr. Jones the government or President Obama does not or should not owe anyone anything this is not a nanny-country. The president elect should govern all americans equally and not just reward or dole out tax payer dollars to their supporters.

June 27, 2013 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ian

Piers Morgan.........., you are trying so hard to be an American, it is truly laughable, thanks for your comedy show every day...........

June 27, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jim

I'm sorry to say CNN.. This show is doomed... this host line up is extremely weak!!! On what planet do you think people want to listen to Newt? He is such a has-been..

Wondering why SE is leaving a good show on MSNBC for this show? She must have been forced out of MSNBC...For the record.. I do like SE... I don't always agree with her politics.. but she is one of the better GOP analysts.. One of the few with ANY integrity. Newt certainly has ZERO integrity.. SHAME on you CNN for hiring Newt!! Give someone else a chance...

June 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve-O

Hey Jim, don't stop only at the Republicans. What about the commie Van Jones?

June 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Wayne

I can not believe CNN has hired Newt Gingrich! This guy is the worst. he's a serial liar and adulterer, and racist. This man brings nothing to the table, but lies and racist views. No facts stay in his mind long. If they do not fit his agenda, then he makes up info and vomits it out. CNN, you could do better. I will not be watching.

June 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LT

OR they simply want to paint conservatives in a manner to make the liberals appear most reasonable of the two. I am neither but stand for what is right but often it is much gray area. Right now we need to turn our hearts to God. That is not political.

June 30, 2013 at 4:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandy

I will be watching. I like Newt and have never considered watching CNN until now, it will be very interesting. Congrat's to who's idea it was to bringing Crossfire back.

July 30, 2013 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Malek Karim

straight couples already ruined marriage

July 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Megha Shyam

One more reason not to watch this show. I never liked the original format and the new one does not seem very appealing either.

July 4, 2013 at 2:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Brian

Someone get Jon Stewart back from the Middle East. Please no more Crossfire ...!

July 4, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Bazinga

Gingrich was arguing for traditional marriage? Seriously, I am ROFLMAO! The guy married 3 times, and cheated on two sick wives? What a pompous ass!

August 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply