Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

Tonight, live at 9:  The George Zimmerman trial, and the case against Aaron Hernandez
June 27th, 2013

Tonight, live at 9: The George Zimmerman trial, and the case against Aaron Hernandez

From Florida to Massachusetts, and across the entire nation, nearly all eyes have been glued to a pair of colossal legal cases.

And whether it's the ongoing George Zimmerman trial, or the more recently – but equally polarizing – arrest and murder charges facing Aaron Hernandez, this evening "Piers Morgan Live" has all angles covered, with expert insight and informed analysis.

Thursday marks the fourth day of the Zimmerman trial, and as star witness Rachel Jeantel stepped off the stand for the second straight day, her six hours of examination have left plenty of room for interpretation. Joining Piers Morgan for a primetime interview, Martin family attorney Natalie Jackson, Defense Attorney Jayne Weintraub, and HLN’s Vinnie Politan will each offer their reactions to a fascinating day in court, and offer some perspective into the direction the case is heading at this point.

Meanwhile, just a day after being arrested and charged in the murder of acquaintance Odin Lloyd, on Thursday we learned that Hernandez is now being investigated for his connection to a double-homicide that took place in July 2012 in Boston's South End. With a sea of rumors surrounding the case, tonight civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred, ESPN's Rick Reilly, and CNN’s sports reporter Rachel Nichols will add their thoughts on the story, while weighing in on the image of the NFL and the league's assumed growing gun culture.

Tune in at 9 this evening as "Piers Morgan Live" reveals the intricate details, and fascinating aspects, of two headline-grabbing court cases.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Commander Zsvartz

Feed that pig some bar-b-que and send her to Mandela.
    She could keep a starving village alive.

June 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kathy Lock

Everyone is trying to be very sensitive to Rachel J's testimony, which I'm quite sure we all see as kind of a train wreck. I really fear that the jury will agree to pretty much discount a lot of what she's saying because they may see what I see and that is that, I truly believe that she is learning disabled. She not only sounds very uneducated but she has tons of trouble understanding questions. I would like very much to see George Z. pay for taking gun to a fist fight, but if Rachel is their best weapon, they're in a lot of trouble. She is clearly not a normal 19 year old.

June 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sylvia

I don't know how Treyvon's family can stand for this injustice! I am a mother of 3 and I can't imagine that my son would be murdered just for buying some candy and walking home! Unbelievable! What was Zimmerman's first clue that Treyvon was breaking the law? Was it when Treyvon was eating his skittles? Or was it when Treyvon was drinking an Arizona and talking to his girlfriend on the phone? Zimmerman is a liar, he had no business following or scaring the poor kid in trying to defend himself! Zimmerman banged his own face on the ground to make it look like he got beat up to cover up his murderous crime! I hope he goes to jail for the rest of his miserable life! He is a very scarey person to have as a wanna be cop neighborhood watch! P.S. I am a white woman with kids! There had better be justice for that poor kid!

June 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dw

Sylvia. You were there right! You saw Zimmerman bang his head on the ground? You sound as stupid as this witness! Wow!

June 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andres

Did u know this kid did drugs had tattoos

July 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brian Kopke

THe night Zimmerman was brought into the police station – his entry into the police sation was on video and shown on TV. My recollection is that after Zimmerman aned a bunch of police had gone through the garage , at least one of the police who came a bit later picked up some sort of cloth form a car or a table – too long ago to remember that – and wiped off his hands – vigorously – and I said to a friend – that policeman beat up Zimmerman so that he could evoke the law which allows him to kill if he thought he was in mortal danger. No one has dug into that – there is something possible there. Get the viedeo and see what could be . . .

June 27, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Newkirk

You idiot. The witness Mrs Lauer testified that she and her husband went outside as soon as the police arrived. She could not recognize GZ because of the beating and they did not see any police officer beat GZ, The incident occurred right on their back yard, idiot.

June 28, 2013 at 2:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. F Suarez

You know this kid Trayvon did the typical behavior these boys do especially a know pothead. I grew up with many & let be real all my pothead friends were white. When they were that age they behaved very aggressive towards anyone who would say, "boo" to them. Typical behavior except this time the aggressor got killed. Zimmerman was just looking out for his neighborhood

June 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Pamaela Stewart

Has anyone considered that this star witness might be preotecting someone other than Trayvon ? Is her mother a legal immigrant ? Is she ?
    Young African Americans are very afraid of the police and strive to keep a low profile. Could this be her issue ?

June 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Denise

Is it not enough to make an obscene amount of money? I am considering dropping football as well.....a game I've loved all my life. As for psychiatrists on teams, I think these overgrown boys should pay for this service themselves, or take responsibility for being an adult, and decide to be better people – what a concept! Give the game back to the fans!

June 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joan Holbert-Hubert

I watched the Piers Morgan interviews/story about the Zimmerman trial tonight and was quite horrified to hear Politan, Weintraub and Jackson discuss the testimony of Miss Jeantel. One of the comments was "Zimmerman had a right to be in the place where he was, at the time." If Trayvon was visiting someone in that neighborhood, didn't he have the same right to be in that place???? Also, there was much discussion about Miss Jeantel's dress, her speech (she is obviously of dual culture) and her apparent dislike for the trial etc. How many of us could endure hearing a friend die, while you're on the phone with them. How many of us could endure 2 days of grueling questioning from someone who has made it clear that he, and many in the trial audience and the U.S, do not like you, simply because of who/what you are??? Today's young people, from all cultures, have taken on their own "LOOK",demeanor and way of talking, that is unique to only themselves. They are not like people in the past, who wanted to be accepted at any cost. She is obviously living in an environment where there is open/covert racism "24/7/365 and a leap year." I have lived through 6 decades and I have seen things change for the better, but only to get worse, in some ways. The Supreme Court struck down parts of a law that gave my Fore Fathers and me, the right to vote. Isn't that enough of a blow to Miss Jeantel and all of us??? I heard so much hatred and venom today that it is so disheartening to realize that we must continue to fight for what should be a natural thing. When will all of America live up to the statement that "All men are created equal." And when will ALL of us, without regard to Race, Creed or Culture, be able to simply walk in a "gated community" and not fear reprisals and maybe even – DEATH???

June 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mrs. Andrews

well spoken, many thanks!!

June 28, 2013 at 5:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dw

Unless you are a Convicted felon, or your are not a U.S citizen you can vote, in fact you can even vote as a felon in some cases? So what are you talking about?

June 28, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sheryl kramer

I taught in a juvenile detention facility here in Florida from 2006 to 2009 before retiring. I was shocked by the number of kids who cannot read or write cursive, and some of my brightest students were among them. I blame it on the use of computers and texting. I hope they are still teaching it in the schools.

June 28, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Bill

trayvon martin case a tragedy, yes. what happened to the horrendous murder of a white baby in its stroller weeks ago, shot in the face because the mother didnt have money to rob. saw this in the news one day, this is a thousand times the crime the Martin case is yet no media coverage!!!! why ? because this is Black on White !! if it was White on Black, omg, rioting etc. and media coverage for months. this in itself is a crime !!!!!!

June 27, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Anthropologist

Piers Morgan should not be the monitor because British grow up in a society where police officers or bobbies are not permitted to carry guns. Ion GB, if police officers believe fire power is warranted they call for professionally trained officers with guns. Every time mention was made of the broken nose and head lacerations treated by Zimmerman's physician, Morgan cut into the conversation. Did Martin suffer from injuries in addition to the single gun shot wound? Martin's autopsy can give more information. Did Martin suffer lacerations, a ruptured TM, or other injuries consistent with a back and forth? If the only injury to Martin is the single gun shot, this is more consistent with self-defense. Morgan's bias did not permit a discussion.

June 28, 2013 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ann-Belinda Honablezh

I am not an attorney, but as a person watching thr Zimmerman case, I feel she did a goodbjob of holding her own. Second, I feel they need to drop the race issue. The young man that expired was simply telling her in teen language that it was an Anglo following him. Teens do speak in "Ebonics" lile language, which is a code fir them....They do it because they do not want people to understand what they are speaking about.

June 28, 2013 at 2:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. max

sad when people will not see the truth no matter how clear it is in there faces what is going on. lets all be fearful of the truth that a good thing.

June 28, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. max

She is not a baby, she could go to war, she can vote, and did. She can live on her own. She could get married, and have kids. The way you people are talking about her, she is this child that doesn’t know right from wrong. The problem that you people are having, is so deep in your soul. That if you don’t knot it off, you are all going to be as small minded as she acted the last two days. What she said, they all talk like that, should be and eye opener.

June 28, 2013 at 5:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. max

I have a better idea, go like in Ingwood Ca for a year, and see how that works for you. The wake up call will be good for any one, living in a world that is shock by the things we seem to be shocked by today. When you are so sorry for what has happen, so much that you go around telling ever one your sorry, no one thinks they should have any respected for you. This is what has happen to the USA and to white people.

June 28, 2013 at 5:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. philbertphotos

Rasim and HATE on facebook lives...

June 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Joan

Well

June 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Joan

Comments are censored

June 28, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Joan

Crack– means crack the whip, not soda. I had too write like this because comments are censored, nice cnn

June 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. sheryl kramer

wouldn't George Zimmerman have gotten at least a little of Tayvon Martin's blood dripping down on him if he shot Trayvon Martin from below?

June 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dw

You can be shot and not bleed at all the speed and force of the bullet can almost seal the entry wound!

June 28, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • sheryl kramer

thanks! it just seemed like the heart full of blood would spurt at least a little.

June 28, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gillian hooper

I am so proud of Rachel Jeantel's testimony and I would like to send her an email to tell her so. Could someone please give me her email address OR could someone please give her mine. I thought she was a lovely girl. I wish I could have given her a hug.

June 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. gillian hooperg

I would like to send rachel an email or a letter. Being a senior citizen I am not on facebook and don't know how to tweet or twitter (if that is what you call it!) but I want to let Rachel know how proud I am of her. I wish I could have given her a hug.

June 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Carl Stoyan

I am amazed how low you set the bar for black folks Pierce. Any 19 year old white woman that couldnt read her own statement, told very obviously uncorraborated stories stories like she heard "Get off" when no one present did, and generally made a mockery of court proceedure would have been branded trailer trash and a perjurer. It may not fit CNN's adjenda, but would it pain you to say that Zimmerman appears to be innocent rather that the defence team seems to be winning? No wonder fox is wooping you guys so good. Atleast their bias is confessed.

June 30, 2013 at 10:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. sheryl kramer

I missed the first couple of hours of the trial today. Did anyone point out the inconsistency in Zimmerman's statement that he held out Trayvon's arms because he thought he had something in them, when the photo taken by the neighbor clearly shows that Trayvon's arms are beneath him?

July 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. roberto lagos sao paulo brazil

on trayvon and george : please imagine a similar incident: a concerned armed citizen following a suspect etc etc ... how the police took the survivor's statement face value and send him home
    now image you switch the color of trayvon and george
    questions: is that a possible scenario? will you believe such case ever happened, may be april 1st?
    how many black citizens have gun permits and patrol their neighborhood?
    how many blacks go home after the police interview, following a gun related death?
    how many stories always happen an some other rarely happen

July 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply