Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 17th, 2013

Eliot Spitzer on a second chance: "It is a forgiving public...it doesn't mean that forgiveness will be extended to me"

Five years since personal indiscretions seemingly ended his political career, Eliot Spitzer is back pursuing public office.

The 54-year-old Democrat has recently announced a run for New York City Comptroller, and having easily acquired enough signatures to legitimatize his candidacy, on Wednesday the former governor – and CNN personality – joined Piers Morgan for a face to face interview.

Referencing another embattled politican who's simultaneously pursuing a return to political work, the "Piers Morgan Live" host went seeking parallels:

"You and Anthony Weiner are both ahead in the polls in your relative races. What does that tell you abut the American public's power of forgiveness," he asked Spitzer.

"I would say this about the American public: it is a forgiving public. And that is an affirmative quality in us as a people," the guest explained, before quantify the concept.

"It doesn't mean that forgiveness will be extended to me, that is an open question. This is a tough race."

Referencing speculation surrounding his family life, and the role his marriage may play in the election, Spitzer shared few details:

"I'll say only this: yes, the family is behind it, and I would not have done this without the family being behind it," he revealed. "I hope the public will give me a second chance."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with the former governor, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Dianne MacLean

BRAVO, Larry Elder! You captured precisely what many of us have wanted to scream
    at Mr. Morgan!

July 18, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lisa

While Piers' gun control efforts are appreciated, elliot spitzer?! really??

July 18, 2013 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Henry

I was very disappointed in Mr. Elder's interruptions and obnoxious behavior. Mr. Morgan is attempting to make sense of an issue that is dividing the U.S. while Mr. Elder's rant was not on topic. I was saddened that Mr. Elder could not engage in an adult conversation between people with diverse views.

July 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rita Fort Collins CO

I turned your show off immediately when I heard all the garbage coming from Larry Elder. Got nothing out of it and was really sad I missed Elliot who I consider one of the smartest minds out there. You need to eliminate these people who enjoy ranting. i.e. Brightbart, Elder and any of the idiots who just want to rant.

July 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ben Smith

I had more respect for Mr. Spitzer before his comments on the Martin case. It was a straightforward case of self defense, as the defense lawyers more than capably demonstrated. I could not help but think that the politician in him was kowtowing to the mob. What a shame as I thought he might be a man of principle.

July 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Chris Engel

"......nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

So much for the 14th Ammendment. Apparently Spitzer believes one set of laws apply to him and a seperate set to those whom he governed (and prosecuted for the same crime he comitted).

July 19, 2013 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Marvia

Piers Morgan Tonight Show is the best talk show on television! The show is so informative, and lively!!! However, I would like to see other cultures involved in the discussions. I am a Caribbean American, and it saddens me that no one is paying attention to the way in which African Americans treat the people from the Caribbean; especially, when we have a strong accent.. I am a U.S. citizen, and I have been living in the U.S. for thirty-seven years. I have been married to an African American for thirty-seven years.

In my view, African Americans - especially the women, are extremely prejudice towards blacks from other cultures. Moreover, they do not accept differences. I, along with other Caribbean Americans, have suffered painful discrimination from African Americans. One of the reasons no one is addressing this serious problem is because we have the same skin colour, and it is assumed that blacks do not discriminate against other blacks. Well, I can assure you, our cultures are like "night and day," and it is difficult for African Americans to accept my accent, and treat me as an equal.

My hope is that one day, this serious problem can be brought to the forefront. During my thirty-seven years in the United States, I have faced a lot more discrimination from African Americans more than white Americans. The discrimination I endured from African Americans has been extremely painful.

July 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • anny

I understand very well your point. I have been abuse more from the hands of black african americans than the white folks here . I am from the caribean Island came here went to college and earned a college degree. Let's talk about this guy Larry Elder he is nothing but a house (n,,, r) I strongly believe he has a White woman as a wife. at home, like all the other idiots michael jordan, tiger wood, coby brian , john legend, lamar otom, lester hall, to name a few.

July 20, 2013 at 1:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Response to Anny

Anny,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I am disappointed that you expressed so much anger towards white people. There is good and bad in every race, and culture. Please be informed that Senator Obama did not win the Presidency without the white vote. Moreover, whites have marched with blacks during the Civil Rights Movement to bring justice and equality to African Americans. In fact, a lot of whites are marching for Trayvon Martin, and have expressed disgust at the way in which he was killed. I wish that more recognition be given to whites involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. We must NOT put people in groups - this does not resolve anything; it only creates more hatred. How would you feel if Americans put all Caribbean people in groups? I have come across many, many, wonderful white Americans. In fact, if it were not for the white Americans, I would not have had the opportunity to work at a large corporation for almost thirty years. The African American women tried to destroy me, but because of the decency of good white Americans, and other good people from other cultures, I was able to "win the battle."

I firmly believe that a person should marry anyone he/she loves; the skin colour should not matter. I've always wondered, how can folks stop someone's heart from loving someone? I am in awe that people have the audacity to tell someone who to love. I recall African American women calling my husband a "traitor" because he married outside of his culture - what nerve... Growing up in the Caribbean taught me to love all people, no matter their skin colour. In fact, I honestly did not know there was a difference until I came to America. What a culture shock...We must not loose sight of the love that was instilled is us. My parents used to feed "run-away" East Germans in Jamaica. In fact, a young German boy used to come to my house every day for food until sadly, he passed away. I bring all of this love to America, and I will not allow anyone to take away the love I have in my heart for all people, and turn me into a racist. Even though, I was treated extremely badly by African American women, and some men, I still love them, and hope that they will learn to embrace other black cultures. When blacks come from other cultures, and do well in America, a lot of African Americans get jealous; they think that we stole from them. They do not understand that we work hard for what we have accomplished. I never understood how African Americans can go to church, and be so jealous of others, and treat others so badly. The Bible says "we should not be jealous of each other, and we should love one another."

Peace to you. I am proud of your accomplishments. I wish you many more successes.

July 22, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |