Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 19th, 2013

Rachel Jeantel on attorney Don West: "I'll hold it back ... my parents taught me better"

Editor's note: Due to high demand, Piers Morgan's interview with Rachel Jeantel will re-air in its entirety tonight at 9.

Amidst the aftermath of the dramatic courtroom conclusion which saw the jury in the George Zimmerman trial return a "not guilty" verdict, tonight Piers Morgan returns with an encore presentation of his fascinating interview with Rachel Jeantel.

Joining the host for an exclsuive, face to face conversation, and with a studio audience hanging on every word, Jeantel listens intently as the "Piers Morgan Live" host rolls a video clip, in which CNN's Anderson Cooper conducted his own exclusive interviewwith the juror known simply as B37:

"I think she felt inadequate toward everyone because of her education and her communication skills," said the juror, speaking about Jeantel. "I just felt sadness for her."

Admitting to feeling "angry" and "upset" after hearing herself described in such a way, Morgan's guest defends her character:

"When the state closed they're trying to explain what kind of person I am. And you can see the kind of person I am," she explains. "Out of the whole stand I never cussed out Don [West]. Even during our little back - since March."

Having seen her courtroom nemesis, the man who aggressively cross-examined her doing the trial, in the CNN hallway earlier, Jeantel takes the high road:

"I'll hold it back. The only reason I have not said anything to Don Weston [sic] because my parents taught me better. As an adult you don't have the right to disrespect an adult," she explains. "Don't curse - okay I did give attitude."

Watch the rest of the clip of Morgan's exclusive interview with Rachel Jeantel, and for the full "Piers Morgan Live" interview, tune in at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Bjp_purple

You won't recognize me. My name was Antonio West and I was the 13-month old child who was shot at point blank range by two teens who were attempting to rob my mother, who was also shot. A Grand Jury of my mommy's peers from Brunswick GA determined the teens who murdered me will not face the death penalty...too bad I was given a death sentence for being innocent and defenseless.

My family made the mistake of being white in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder was not ruled a Hate Crime. Nor did President Obama take so much as a single moment to acknowledge my murder.

I am one of the youngest murder victims in our Nation's history, but the media doesn't care to cover the story of my tragic demise, President Obama has no children who could possibly look like me – so he doesn't care and the media doesn't care because my story is not interesting enough to bring them ratings so they can sell commercial time slots.

There is not a white equivalent of Al Sharpton because if there was he would be declared racist, so there is no one rushing to Brunswick GA to demand justice for me. There is no White Panther party to put a bounty on the lives of those who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation and unlike those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller – I no longer have my life.

So while you are seeking justice for Trayvon, please remember to seek justice for me too. Tell your friends about me, tell you families, get tee shirts with my face on them and make the world pay attention, just like you did for Trayvon.

Thank you.

July 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Trayvon's Voice

Yes, but the difference is, your killers are behind bars where they should be...Can't say the same for mine. Why don't you people get it....There are people paying for the crime committed against you...nobody id paying for the one committed against me...

July 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Shaniqua

Yikes, hogzilla.

July 19, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Marjorie Perloff

Piers Morgan's pandering to Rachel Jeantel is NAUSEATING!!!! CNN HAS HIT A NEW LOW! Since she's such a "smart cookie," why doesn't Piers hire her as a nightly newscaster or helper. ANYTHING FOR PUBLICITY. I think Piers should be taken off the air. He is simply disgusting.

July 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cares4newz

Watched a bit of Piers tonight...Jeantel is beyond ignorant, stupid and racist. Oh yeah...she speaks three languages!

July 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. scott

Why is no one commenting on how bad of a job the prosecutors did in the case. Why is no one calling for the prosecutors' resignations or criticizing the state attorney. They are to blame. no one else...

July 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Disappointed in Detroit

I would like to state a few facts about me before commenting on Rachel Jeantel: I am African American, Female, Forty-something, grew up in working class family in the inner city, and a college graduate. I am glad that Piers Morgan gave Rachel a chance to speak, however I still could barely make out what she was trying to say. Although I do believe Rachel when she said, "Trayvon was afraid of George Zimmerman, as he tried to make it home that night," I rarely comment on-line, I do read blogs, but this time I felt compel to say something, I don't think Rachel had a clue as to what she was getting into testifying at the Zimmerman trial. I do think she was courageous for trying to articulate what happened, but she failed miserably. Rachel does not know how to form a proper sentence, how to use pronouns, match noun in sentence with a verb ect... The fact that she was the last person who talk to Trayvon was not by accident. I believe that everything in a person's life happens for a reason. I hope in due time, later when she actually sees and hear herself on TV, she realize that some or maybe lot of the criticism she received from her testimony was true. I am not talking about the comments in relations to her appearance. She needs to study English grammar. I sincerely hope that she come to understand how important it is to get an education, and learn how function as a young lady in society and not just in the hood.

July 21, 2013 at 12:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank

I've seen this ridiculous description of her being "brave" to testify, but she had to be subpoenaed to do so. She had no choice; there was no "courage" involved. But why it would take "bravery" to testify on behalf of a friend who you think was murdered is beyond me to begin with.

July 28, 2013 at 9:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. black racism is the god kind of hate

Seems like she had not learned a thing her parents taught her ( or they taught her nothing like tray tray's parents taught him nothing).
    this is a case about racism, alright, of black racism. the supposed white guy wasnt racist (he was cleared by holders fbi)

July 26, 2013 at 8:39 am | Report abuse | Reply