Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 19th, 2013

Rachel Jeantel on the verdict: "I had a feeling it was going to be not guilty"

Editor's note: Due to high demand, Piers Morgan's interview with Rachel Jeantel will re-air in its entirety tonight at 9.

Less than a week since the jury reached a "not guilty" verdict in the George Zimmerman trial, this evening Piers Morgan is back with an encore presentation of the interview you've been waiting for, as Rachel Jeantel is in the studio for a fascinating and candid conversation.

The young woman who had been talking to the late Trayvon Martin just minutes before his February 2012 death, Jeantel admits that the case's conclusion didn't shock her:

"I had a feeling it was going to be 'not guilty,'" she says. "In my mind - well in reality - Trayvon before his death, he thought I was still on the phone. I could have called out for help or something but I wasn't on the phone."

Having reluctantly taken the stand to offer testimony on behalf of the prosecution, Jeantel unwillingly captured the national spotlight with her unique appearance and demeanor in court. Opening up and presenting an entirely different persona with Piers Morgan, she notes that Martin's specific choice in mobile device had lead her to believe that her friend was in trouble:

"If you click on the Android, it can end the call," she explains. "There was a struggle, so somebody had to be on top of Trayvon."

Watch the rest of the clip of Morgan's exclusive interview with Rachel Jeantel, and then tune in this evening for the full conversation at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Flo Wise

Hi Piers, Now you have the critics just because the President recognized the pain of the African American, now complaining. I as a 63 year old African American believe that the President speaking was great! He did speak out when the killing of the children in Connecticut happened, his heart went out to those children and their families, our hearts as well. Other tragedies that have occurred at the hands of a white American, the President did speak out, as well. It seems to me as an African American the situation is always a no win situation. We will always have the certain groups of people who hate, but one thing I am happy about is that white America is changing and becoming more understanding of the plot of our people. We need to know we are valued in this country and I pray for our President because he gets attacked from all sides. Thank you President Obama for being the man and President you are! God Bless Flo Wise

July 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • SaintSixx

Piers Morgan is a retard. He can't ,well no he can but willfully glosses over the "creepy ass cracka" as a racial slur. I mean Jesus h Christ is anyone buying this crap? Go home....

July 20, 2013 at 3:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Beth Bullock

The term "retard" is degrading to people with developmental disabilities.. It's not a synonym for stupid. My son has Down Syndrome. He is kind and funny. You would probably like him if you knew him. Thanks.

July 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Dugan

Thank you so much for your posting! Wish I could talk to you face to face on this! I am a WHITE MALE that needs so much to talk to someone that is a minority! I wish I could feel what others have do to this country, but I can't Godspeed, and if CNN will let us, please give my email out for a contact from this person from florida!

July 20, 2013 at 3:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. arale norimaki

How many white parents would be outranged if a grown black man and self appointed neighborhood watch man had profiled their child and began following their child who was doing nothing more than returning home from the store after buying candy for a younger sibling. Whose child wouldn't be frightened by a stranger, a grown man stalking them tries to stop them and question them for no reason, doesn't identify himself, what frightened teen would try to lash out try to protect himself from an aggressive stranger .

July 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wake up America. Lets get real.

Had Marten been wearing white polo & khakis he would be living today.

July 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

Skittles, Iced Tea and cough syrup = Lean

July 20, 2013 at 12:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Linda Johnson

This did happen to my teenage son. Thankfully, he did what I told him to do in case this happened. He ran home.

July 21, 2013 at 12:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

Where do you live White people are killed by blacks everyday just like blacks kill backs everyday why arn't you upset about thAt. Believe it or not whites kill whites also. Stop using Child to describe TM he was walking at night alone in the rain after smoking dope all week that a perfect description of a Child he was a Thug.trying to beat up a goofy security guy.

July 25, 2013 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Dan

Mr. Zimmerman case really bothers me. How is it that our president who is suppose to care for our country is stirring the pot of racism. If Trevon would have shot Mr. Zimmerman would we still have this discussion, I think NOT. Trevon would have been tried as an adult as every other young adult who has shot someone has, even for armed robbery. I thought it was our fault about racism but NO I see every big name African American, Actors, Sports, Politian's are talking about it, not the Caucasians I thought that this was 2013 not 1970. AS Morgan Freeman said in an interview " STOP TALKING ABOUT IT" its done its over let the Florida Case GO. Why scratch a scab. IM realizing they are the racist. Mr. Al Sharpton Remember When you point a finger at someone else, THERE ARE THREE MORE POINTING BACK AT YOU.
    Thanks so much for your time
    DAN
    cwbbbydan77@yahoo.com

July 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nancy

By now Martin would have been given the death sentence. Had this been Abdul Kamal a Moslom he would have been shot and killed as a terrorist.

July 19, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Merle Howard

The young lady showed me that Bill Cosby is so right. Young black people do not even try to speak good English and cannot converse intelligently and you cannot understand what they are saying. I would be so embarrassed in my job If I used slang language and no one could understand what I had to say. Half sentences..not full statement of what she was tying to say. She used mixed words that were not clear where she could be understood. Piers even finished her words. Folks Te Amereican Dreamis for education, opportunity to pursue life freely. Is Merican going to be a country that no one else can understand because of slang and people making insinuations rather than being able to speak clearly and have people understand their opinion clearly? My take is she – a young girl was set up to stoke the fire some more. If ou are another a factor and part of a solution then you are part of the problem! I hope Bill Cosby will continue to show by leading and encouraging youth!!!

July 20, 2013 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lets not forget another teenager.

Does any one remember Alford Enrique Tello Jr ( Hispanic ) who was brutally murdered & his body chopped and burnt by Samuel Sheinbein in Maryland? Samuel Sheinbin flew with his Israeli lawyer father to Israel & US law could not touch him & have him returned to Maryland. Wow! How many billions do we pay Israel in taxes? And they would not return a killer back to the US to be tried ? Zimmerman is being protected just like Sheinbein.

July 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Chris

" If the grendma had a mustache she wouldbe a grendpa" old Polish saying. this applays to last Pres.Obama speach on O7/19/2013 He stated that he could be in Treyvon Martinn shoos,that means that he would be dead today but he is not,nonses

July 19, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. sam

Hello Pierce,
    PLEASE ask Rachel a QUESTION not one interviewer has asked her to date. Why didn't she alert her mother or
    someone that Trayvon might be in danger once she couldn't get him back on the phone that night. Why didn't she
    alert her mother the next day? If she and Trayvon believed he might be in danger, Why didn't she alert someone?
    Didn't she wonder he might be hurt after not getting him back on the phone that night or next day? Did the two
    of them not believe what was going on reached a level of possible danger?
    I understand it's a hard questions as it might make her feel bad but the TRUTH needs to come out. Also, please do
    not be like rest of the interviewers on other cable networks by asking a question and answering it or putting
    suggestions. Please give her all the time she needs and LET her say it in her own words rather than being
    suggestive.
    Have a good show Pierce!

July 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. sam

P.S. Just trying to get from Rachel, how scared was Trayvon, if he was. I found Rachel to be a credible witness
    but I do wonder why she didn't alert someone after hearing "get off, get off", you know!

July 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. GEO

Oh no, here again??? Where is Larry?? Piers really should hire her for his show.

July 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. sam

haha, hehe GEO...Yeah, I too miss Larry King

July 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • GEO

Yep, and they way Piers doing it, will never bring him to that level. Look who he brings to his shows!!

July 19, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. deemarie

If you dress like a criminal – gang member – tough guy expect to be treated as one. Don't be outraged when people/police can't tell the difference.
    Hoodies are for hiding your face. It's sneaky. It's shady.
    If you dress like a looser people are going to treat you like a looser.
    These kids dress this way sos people will think they are big and bad. YOU ARE ASKING FOR IT!
    How are we to know you are not? It's impossible for us to know if you are for real or a fake criminal – gang member – tough guy – jerk – looser.

THE WAY YOU DRESS and how you carry yourself SAYS A LOT ABOUT YOU. For strangers/police it says it all.

All these black parents are wondering what are they going to tell their kids. Tell them to ditch the hoodie and gangster look for their own safety. Don't dress like a stupid violent criminal. DAH!

July 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Get real

So now it no longer Skin then it is fabric? How stupid are Americans? Dogs should be replaced for brain power securing our safety not a nut with a gun.

July 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. GEO

piers of you like talking about race so much here is what you should talk about:
    1 out of 3 African American men ages 18-24 are unemployed
    1 in 9 African American males aged 25-29 was in prison or jail (on average )
    Percent of welfare recipients who are black 39.8%

Dont put dump people on your show and try to solve real problems that we face

July 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wake up

It's not the law that puts a black man or Hispanic in prison. It's poor & corrup laws as well. Our prison system is outsourced. It's YOUR tax dollar that makes the White Prison owners very, very rich. The days of making money by black slaves is replaced by Prisons. So while you go blaming the black man it's the sin of your father you are still paying.

July 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Joe

What a bunch of mental garbage. LOL. And everyone in prison is innocent,.....just ask them.

July 20, 2013 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • ben arnold

Geo, your data is true and honest but do you think CNN wants to know? Closed minds are closed!!!!

July 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LTR

Lets get some facts Prisons,Jails or Detention centers are Privately owned as far back as 1852. This is an industry, it is a business that makes billions each year. No, all prisoners are not innocent but most are there because they could not buy there way out with good lawyers or are mentally sick, others are immigration charges. How many crooks from Wall Street are in Prison? Or how many of our leaders are in prison who took us into war looking for WMD? Our men & uniform died because of lies. So that's not seen being seen as murder.

July 20, 2013 at 7:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ben arnold

Pers, I have heard enough, you are not fair, you may dislike the US and are so bias, I won't watch you in the future!!

July 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Don

Then don't watch. People have own opinions , deal with it or get over it. That's what is wrong with this world. People that riot are just as stupid as anyone in this case. We have other countries to deal with that hate USA. It's sad that our own country hate people from different races . Take care of our country no matter what race it is.

July 20, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Joe

Blacks are the haters in today's America. There isn't much doubt about that. A large number of them blame Whites for everything as if everyone else should just give up, lay down and worship them. Not gonna happen and the sooner they get their collective heads out of the sand the better off they'll be. The rest of us have enough problems of our own just trying to stay ahead of the mess our government is making of our country. Do they not understand that we don't spend our days worrying about black people? We don't sit around saying oh man, I think I'll go shoot some black guy in a hoodie on my way to Target. That's so ridiculous I can't believe it. And Piers just can't stand it. He wants to keep stirring the race pot.

July 20, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. KC

Piers,
    Actual demographics of Seminole County, one of your interviewees stated white accounted for 80% this is wrong.

3 Largest Seminole County Race / Ethnic Groups
    •The Seminole County White population is 280,452 persons or 66.3%.
    •The Seminole County Hispanic population is 72,457 persons or 17.1%.
    •The Seminole County Black population is 44,196 persons or 10.5%.

It is a shame you are making this racial when it was not, my boys attend the local high school in Sanford (Seminole High School) it is a great school nationally ranked. No issues of race. The media is creating an issue.

July 19, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Doug

I haven’t said much about the Trayvon Martin killing, but tonight I feel compelled to share my thoughts. I’ve always been a person who tries to focus on facts and not speculation; thus, the fact that there are no FACTS that point toward racial profiling, I cannot judge George Zimmerman in that area. However, if you ask me my intuition and feelings on what I believe to have happened is racial profiling…something that we all do on one level or another, including myself. So, we can’t hate Zimmerman for that. The issue is, and I’ve said this for years, we are too lazy and sometimes just don’t have the ability to take time to exercise better judgment (FACTS). The tragedy comes when we gamble our judgments and lose (which Zimmerman did). My only thing is…since when do people that gamble and lose don’t have to pay???

July 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

Dave, If I saw you on the street and walked up to you and said "what's your problem"? and you said "I don't have a problem" and then I just hauled off and hit you, then jumped on top of you and started beating on you how would you feel about that? Would you allow me to just beat on your face until I got tired of hitting you? Would you politely just say, uh excuse me kind sir would you please quit pummeling me so profusely? I mean come on.

July 20, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Joe

Apparently, Piers won't be satisfied until he "recreates" with no evidence or testimony the trial on his show and causes some riots.

July 20, 2013 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Joe

Rachael is the future of our country? I guess if we are going to social and mental reverse at about 100 mph. Us "old" people are out of it according to her. We're "old school" huh? She's obnoxious and ignorant and crude. If she represents black America and our future this country is in serious trouble.

July 20, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Carrie

The interview was horrible.

July 20, 2013 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Joe

The law isn't the problem. The clueless people keep saying that. It wasn't defended on Stand Your Ground. Most of these people don't even understand the difference between Self Defense and Stand Your Ground, and why Stand Your Ground was enacted in the first place.

Why do people keep saying Stand Your Ground had anything to do with it?

July 20, 2013 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Praying for Our Nation!

Agreeably a verdict has been rendered by a jury of Zimmerman's peers (white and allegedly one Hispanic), and clearly we must accept; however, the bulk of evidence was provided by the perpetrator of the Crime. The laws must be changed.

The suggestion that Zimmerman was not the aggressor is ridiculous!

If Zimmerman was truly being punched simultaneously paired with having his head banged on concrete, there is no way he could have been the person screaming! Those screams for help were that of someone standing with a consistent rhythm. If Zimmerman were the one screaming (laying on the ground with a significant amount blood going down his throat) the screams for help would have been broken up..... with some sort of gasp/ouch/cough/choke in between the blows..... Remember GZ is allegedly soft. This lie from Zimmerman says it all.

Try laying on the floor with a little bit of water in your mouth and have someone simply move your head from side to side.....while simultaneously screaming for help in a consistent rhythm. Not possible! Hence the frustration of Americans across nationalities. The laws much be changed.

July 20, 2013 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Fred Kast

Mr. Morgan
    I think the interview shows bias. What about the murders in Chicago.... Black on black.... What about the poor girl that was shot on the street of Chicago in a random drive by drive shooting where Mrs. Obama went to the city.. The jury spoke. This is a no win situation. If it was a black on black, white on white, latino vs. latino it would not even get a word on the news. Remember our troops are still serving and saving each other lives color is bind. Yet the media wants to keep this alive.

I am sorry for what happened I pray for all involved.

Let's move on.

July 20, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Randy Watts

Dear Mr. Morgan,

I wish I could dialogue with you and your guest Rachel Jeantel.

My topics would be "Cracka" is definitely a racial slur, it is just as offensive as using the "N" word. I am a White American and I grew up in Carson, California where I was the minority.

I would also like to express my concern as to why they are making this a black and white thing when Zimmerman is neither, his is Hispanic.

I would also like to talk about that if this would have happened in the state of California, Zimmerman would not of had a gun therefore Trayvon Martin would have been on trial for assault with bodily injury or attempted murder or murder because as soon as Trayvon Martin laid a hand on Zimmerman a crime was committed.

The only way to end racial conflict is with open dialogue and debate to hear both sides and I think your stage would be a great forum.

July 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Tony

Last Saturday, shortly before the verdict was handed down in the George Zimmerman trial, Frank Taaffe, Zimmerman's neighbor and friend claimed (on live TV during Harris Faulkner's program featuring Judge Alex and Mercedes Colwin on Fox news) that he had information that one juror (of the five) was holding out and stopping the acquittal of Mr Zimmerman. Juror B37 interview confirms this exact scenario. Please investigate how Mr Taaffe got his information to assure the integrity of the jury sequestration process

July 21, 2013 at 12:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jeff A.

This was such a tragic, horrible situation for everyone involved! I know that Jeantel didn't ask to be put rt in the middle of this catasrophe, and I know her loyalties are with Trayvon, and his family. But I "FEEL" she completely discredited the prosecution and its case. I know she didn't intend to hurt the case but she did!

July 21, 2013 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Henry

Treyvon Martin got what he deserved. Oh well he was black he was a violent punk who got killed living like a punk She had a feeling it was not guilty because right or wrong it was not a crime even a low functioning person like Ms, Jantel knew that. Unique appearance just say no respect like Treyvon they don't car about authority.

July 21, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jeff A.

What is SHE TALKING ABOUT!!!

July 21, 2013 at 12:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jeff A.

Wow!! She should not be talking TO ANYONE!!!! No wonder zimmerman was found not guilty!!

July 21, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Mplegge

Jeantel is a poor representation of the black community. She is adding fuel to the fire. I am white, but feel for Trevon. She is obviously an immature young girl who has so much to learn.

July 21, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jeff A.

I agree that it took a lot of courage to do what she did. And I feel she did the best she knew how! But, her best wasn't good enough! I blame the prosecutor more than I blame Jenteal.

July 21, 2013 at 12:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Cody

CHRISTOPHER CERVINI ?

July 21, 2013 at 3:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. 2L

Wait, does that mean she is racist too? Anyone who even FEELS that way is racist, according to some people.

July 24, 2013 at 8:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mark

Good for you Rachel you had that feeling because all the evidence pointed to self defense . You'll get it soon enough of how that works.you had that feeling because its true

July 25, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply