Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 7th, 2013

Sanjay Gupta and Piers Morgan reveal that they've each tried marijuana

In advance of his upcoming CNN special entitled "Weed," on Wednesday evening Dr. Sanjay Gupta joined "Piers Morgan Live" as part of a discussion on medical marijuana and the legalization of cannabis.

In a shocking revelation, the host offered an enlightening slice of honesty as part of furthering the conversation:

"I tried a bit of cannabis when I was younger," Piers Morgan stated during the live interview.

He then asked his guest to share a bit of personal information himself:

"Have you tried it," he wondered, putting the question to the doctor.

"I have tried it," Gupta declared, before going on to describe his personal reaction. "It was a while ago that I tried this. I didn't particularly care for it, actually. It made me kind of anxious, and it wasn't a very pleasant feeling."

As America's pot debate continues, and on the heels of recreational marijuana having already been approved in both Colorado and Washington, Gupta admits to having recently changed his own opinions, now placing value on the role the drug can play in appropriate situations:

"From a medicinal standpoint, this idea that it can provide something that isn't already provided," he told the host, speaking of the benefits of "weed."

As compared with other vices, Gupta pointed to certain substances, some which are legal, that he feels are significantly more harmful:

"The addiction is possibly real. About nine percent. Put it in context, cocaine is about 20 percent," he explained. "Alcohol has a higher rate of addiction. Smoking, 30 percent, and that leads to far more deaths than marijuana."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with Dr. Gupta, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9. Also, be sure to catch the CNN special "Weed" this Sunday at 8.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Gone to Pot
  1. wg

Yes, people will use pot recreationally not just medically, if it's legalized. However, I still think the harm will be less than the harm done by the war on drugs (at least as far as pot is concerned, other drugs, not so much).

August 8, 2013 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • hempshare

Great thing is you don't have to debate with your self about it. Read Dr Bob Melamede's Harm Reduction piece under Endogenous Cannabinoid Receptor System at hempshare.org.

September 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Scott Moeller

I missed the name of the doctor to whom you guy's were debating marijuana with; but everything he claimed was far fetched & speculation at best. If marijuana really is addictive then we would have to look at sugar as an addiction; we'd have to ban caffeine. We'd have to ban coffee without caffeine on the scheduled substance list just because you drink it everyday. His problem primarily was that he viewed marijuana as a drug. If you remove that view; look at it as a fruit or vegetable; it becomes a whole different reason to why people want to have access to it. It has nutrients you can not get from any other plant on planet earth; a nutrient that is showing to be one of the most beneficial nutrients a person could ever ingest. THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) has some benefits to taking it daily; but what i speak of is CBD (Cannabidiol). I'm eager to see your special as i expect it to be quite informative & something everyone needs to see.

August 8, 2013 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Khari

they are professional brainwashers who disseminate propaganda for a living... don't expect them to tell the truth, unless it benefits the corporations. These people are not our "friends".

August 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Krymsun

Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off of the War on Drugs
        - See more at: http://www.republicreport.org/2012/exclusive-why-cant-you-smoke-pot-because-lobbyists-are-getting-rich-off-of-the-war-on-drugs/#sthash.Ftkh1WX0.dpuf

August 8, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Daniel Zavala

Build it and they'll come, legalize it and they"ll smoke it. If you legalize marijuana, those that smoke it daily, will smoke it every where. Mr. Morgan and Dr. Gupta, both you say you tried it, It's one thing to say, " I tried it," but it's a whole different thing to say, " I do it everyday." It's like saying, I tried drinking liquor, which is a whole lot different than saying, " I drink liquor everyday." Non medical marijuana smokers use it to get high, period. Social drinkers exist, but there is no such thing as a social marijuana smoker.

August 8, 2013 at 1:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • cdndenver

You are dead wrong. I know plenty of people who smoke socially. I am a disability retired cop. I was very against MJ. My doctor for 2 years told me I should get my Red Card here in Colorado to use MMJ. He said it would help with my disability issues (caused on the job). My mother who also is a doctor has been trying to get me to try it. So I did. I had friends I knew who smoked on a regular basis. I had friends I knew who smoked on occasion, socially (what you said do not exist). The strains that are heavy in CBD do in fact provide me with a lot of relief. I would much rather take a few drops of CBD syrup than to take a bunch of oxycodone to kill my pain. As I said I know people who smoke socially as well. My GF smokes on occasion. She smokes every few weeks. Just because YOU do not know anyone who does it does not mean they do not exist. In fact I bet you do know people who smoke socially they just know better than to tell someone liek you with an extremely closed mind who thinks everyone who smokes is a pot head.

August 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Splinter Cell

Piers & Sanjay, The U.S. Patent Office issued patent #6630507 to the U.S.Health and Human Services filed on 2/2/2001. The patent lists the use of certain cannabinoids found within the cannabis sativa plant as useful in certain neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and HIV dementia.

August 8, 2013 at 3:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Peter O

Based on the interview, apparently smoking pot must effect hearing because neither Morgan or Gupta heard a word the other Doctor said. The clear consistent point he made was that pot SHOULD be made avail and legal for medicinal use but not legal for recreational use. Gupta was a deer in headlights and Morgan his typical rude narrow minded twit. The other doctor was tying to agree with them on the medical application of pot but Piers and Sanjay were determined to try to be the new cutting edge controversial version of CNN to connect the dots....couldn't even watch the next segment....with Fluct....CNN going down for the count.

August 8, 2013 at 4:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Splinter Cell

The "other Doctor" is NOT a doctor. He is a former addict who runs a rehad center. Of course he doesn't want it legalized...that's money out of his pocket. Cannabis in particular is a living organism. How many other living organisms have ever been made illegal? It was clear he was allowed to argue his point, but he didn't have a good argument. That was apparent.

August 8, 2013 at 4:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • no peter o,...just, no.

They were shaking their heads at him because he kept repeating that we should not legalize it. well, no one other than him was ever talking about legalizing so they were just kind of unsure what to say. they didnt know what to say because they were trying to stick to the subject of medicinal only. were only going to take prohibition away from you guys brick by brick. we wont take the whole building at once. med first, then, rest assured we'll be growing it in your backyard and your daughter's apartment lol

August 8, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • yes, peter

weed needs to be illegal. why if weed were legal then society would be hell. mobody would ever show up for work theyd be to busy smoking reefers. ill bet more babies would die because their mothers would be hopeless addicts. im glad the war on drugs is stopping people from getting marijuana when they want it. sanjay gupta is a hack. he doesnt even have a real degree or education. foreigners are trying to destroy us!

August 8, 2013 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dan N

Let me try. It is an addictive drug. True it can be a medicine for some.
    Legalizing it, means making it accessible to all, without control, in the free market.
    We don’t want to legalize alcohol for kids, do we?
    “The addiction is possibly real. About nine percent. Put it in context, cocaine is about 20 percent," he explained. "Alcohol has a higher rate of addiction. Smoking, 30 percent, and that leads to far more deaths than marijuana."
    So we have big problems why add a 9% chance?
    We must make it available to the ones who truly need it:
    1. Make it an available prescription drug.
    2. Educate doctors regarding its benefits and how to control its usage (doctors make sure there aren't side effects for few other drugs taken for long term for example on the liver etc)
    That’s it, like other drugs that are not OTC and therefore controlled.

August 8, 2013 at 4:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Splinter Cell

Legalizing, taxing and regulating gives complete control in an out of control illegal market run by gangs and cartels. It should be treated exactly like alcohol. Everyone on the show agreed it is safer.

August 8, 2013 at 4:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter O

Exactly! I think that is what the rehab guy said about 4 different times. They might have been actually agreeing with each other but Piers Morgan is too stupid to connect the dots. Actually it was Gupta who was confusing. He is usually clear thinking but for whatever reason ( may bad Cnn ratings?) they are trying make up controversy. Gupta was more preoccupied with the relative bad PR treatment pot gets over other legal and non-legal drugs than he was at debating the ONE point where they disagreed and that is on should pot be LEGALLY available to everyone. NO-ONE was debating medical use of pot.

August 8, 2013 at 10:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • sandra stevens

your Doctor that has your good health at heart is a drug dealer for big pharma and will prescribe you drugs that are more addictive harmful and deadly. than legalizing pot with a 21 yrs age limit attached

August 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jay

You're glad the drug war keeps people from smoking pot?...since when? Babies dying because the mother's are hopeless addicts of what?...pot?...get real!! Nobody would work because they'd be smoking pot and society would go down the drain? I smoke pot daily and have worked steadily for the past 35 yrs. I have no criminal record. It's alcohol and tobacco that kill thousands every year that should be illegal. There has never been a death directly related to pot...not one. Marijuana has been demonized since the beginning..first to control minorities...look it up. Even the term marijuana was made to make it sound foreign and sinister. Look what happened with alcohol prohibition...it didn't stop people from drinking...it just put it in the hands of criminals. It's easier for young people to get hard drugs like cocaine and heroin than alcohol or cigarettes..why?...because alcohol and cigarettes are regulated..they must show I.d....the drug dealer on the street doesn't ask 4 I.d.....therefore if you really want to have some control...and want to take it out of criminal hands...legalization and regulation is key.

August 8, 2013 at 6:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Paul Campbell

Let me begin by saying I am a 72 year old retired small business owner. For twenty years I owned and operated a fishing lodge in the Ozark mountains where I hosted guests of one of the largest manufacturers of pharmaceutical drugs in the world. They would treat groups of doctors to a 3 day fishing trip which included two days of trout fishing,lodging, drinks food and other perks at a cost usually exceeding six thousand dollars. And do this several times a year. It was standard for them to follow up a full 5 course dinner with a seminar where they would discuss their introduction of new medications or the benefits of existing products followed by a stroll out to their SUV's that were packed from floor to roof line with boxes of free samples to distribute and encourage the doctors to prescribe to their patients, (talk about sophisticated drug dealing).
    Now let me tell you about a personal experience. In 2003I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia, a gastro disorder that does not allow the liver to assimilate Vitamin B12 and distribute it to the nervous system to nourish the nerves and bone marrow. The lack of B12 causes the nerve endings throughout the body to deteriorate causing a discomforting numbness in the lower torso and legs. If untreated it leads to paralysis and death. Fortunately monthly injections of B12 treats the disease and neurontin eases the discomfort of the numbness in the body, a feeling similar to your legs falling asleep after sitting in the same position for a length of time. I was prescribed three 300 mgs. of neurontin to be taken three times a day................I was walking around in a daze, felt uncomfortable riding a horse or driving a car and was lethargic. But the numbness subsided. I took it upon mysef to diminish the dosage and found I was able to experience the relief of my discomfort by taking 1 capsule in the morning and 1 capsule at night. Low and behold I was no longer in a daze and happily esumed my love of participating in equestrian events and enjoyment of driving through the Ozark mountains in my Jaguar. I also enjoyed the savings of $250/mo I experienced by decreasing the dosageof the neurontin. This drug offers relief from the discomfort of a disease and does not actually treat the disease itself so I highly recommend a person does not take it upon themselves to alter what their physician prescribes.
    So much for an old fart talking about their health issues and on to the discussion at hand. While on a trip to visit friends and family back in California I met up with some old buddies from the 60's and was pursuaded to indulge in some cannabis ingestion (it didn't take much encouragement). All of a sudden I noticed the numbness in my lower torso and legs gradually dissipate and then totally disappear. Needless to say I to have changed my opinion on the value and benefits of medical marijuana and question the motives of those who try to continue preaching the myth of the "evil weed" from Hell.

August 8, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thomas Hood

Thank you Paul Campbell for sharing your personal experience. I am going to work for the legalization of marijuana in my state.

August 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. sandra stevens

Its harmful to our teens if the smoke a joint. most teens are medicated by doctors on far more dangerous medications such as the SSR's Now our kids all have Bipolar zyprexa Lexapro Seroquel alter the brain chemisty lets not forget when all out kids had ADHD and we put them on drugs like Ritalin Adderall concerta these drugs are amphetamines and then to put them to sleep at night we give them Xanax and klonopin these are Benzodiapines highly additive drugs that require a long and painful withdrawal over months to years. your Doctor prescribes these harmful drugs to your kids and your worried about a joint. Worry about Psychiatrist and their lucrative links to the big pharmaceutical company's they are the biggest drug dealer to your kids

August 8, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Will

Piers, I was very impressed with the quality of this piece on CNN (the tv spot not just the blog). Your prohibitionist guest was shouting the same irrelevant point and you calmly pointed out the errors in his logic. Bravo!! I'll definitely be paying more attention to your show and Dr. Sanjay Gupta in the future (I started ignoring him when he started railing against medical marijuana years ago and am so glad he is intelligent and humble enough to let the science change his mind!).

August 8, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. SenorPlaid

This is a shocking revelation? To who?

August 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Adam

On July 01, 2001, a nationwide law in Portugal took effect that decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin.

Since Portugal enacted its decriminalization scheme in 2001, drug usage in many categories has actually decreased when measured in absolute terms, whereas usage in other categories has increased only slightly or mildly. None of the parade of horrors that decriminalization opponents in Portugal predicted, and that decriminalization opponents around the world typically invoke, has come to pass. In many cases, precisely the opposite has happened, as usage has declined in many key categories and drug-related social ills have been far more contained in a decriminalized regime.

Put another way, Portuguese decriminalization was never seen as a concession to the inevitability of drug abuse. To the contrary, it was, and is, seen as the most effective government policy for reducing addiction and its accompanying harms. For that reason, the National Plan against Drugs and Drug Addictions for 2005–2012 (prepared in 2004) centers on ongoing strategies for prevention, demand reduction, and harm-reduction, as well as maximizing treatment resources and availability for those who seek it.

“Evidence-based” requires that all policy judgments be grounded in data and exclude moral and ideological considerations.

Source: “Drug Decriminalization in Portugal Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies” By Glenn Greenwald 2009.

Source Link: http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf

August 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thomas Hood

Thank you, Adam, for your rational presentation. I was unaware of the Portuguese experience. Americans would know nothing were it not for the initiative of other countries.

August 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Rudy Haugeneder -- CANADA

Sanjay Gupta is wrong about today's marijuana. The late 1960s home-grown planted in a field was great medical and recreation marijuana. The modern science created super-high-test stuff is anti-medicine and a serious threat to the mental and physical health of many tokers.
    Bring back the 1960s medicine weed. It was perfect. Those selling anything else should be arrested and locked away for very long periods, or deported, including Sanjay Gupta if he keeps pushing marijuana that weakened(s) the mind(s) of current, past and future presidents who, of course, say they've never inhaled deeply, but whose eyes glaze over like dew flattened grass during stressful Administration decision.

August 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cdndenver

Your speaking out of your ass. Provide evidence to back up your claims. Today's MJ helps me greatly. I am not talking about helping me get stoned either I am talking about serious relief from my disability.

August 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles Waller

First, recreational cannabis use began when humans began cultivating cannabis. Secondly, high THC varietes have been around a long time, just not widely available in the US. Thidly, lower THC varieties are still widely cultivated and available. Lastly, your suggestion to criminalize any cannabis not meeting your definition of acceptable is equivalent to legal beer & wine, but distilled spirits prohibited. The nature of the substance is the point. Deregulation is nothing but recognizing the right of the people to self-determination of ingestion. Research into cannabinoids is already providing cannabinoid based medicine. Personal cultivation on private property is an unalienable human right, regardless of end purpose.

August 9, 2013 at 11:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Barry Dunham

my father never did marijuana cigarettes and he owns his own company. i never have either and i will continue to drug test all of my employees to make sure that everyone who smokes marijuana will be without a job until the day they die, go homeless, or stop. im not comfortable knowing that people are getting "high" possibly right next door to me. what happened to the good ol days? why cant potheads just like drinking like evryone else?

August 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lul what?!

Is this a joke post? You are beyond out of touch.

August 8, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles Waller

Because alcohol kills brain cells, but cannabis stimulates increased cell production in the hippocampus? Because alcohol use results in cognitive impairment, which leads people to believe they are capable of operating automobiles safely when they are not – resulting in deaths? While insurance industry analysis shows cannabis users to be safer drivers – period. Do you call yourself a Christian? Do Christians wish ill on others as part of their religious belief system? Your comments seem to indicate that to be the case. Self-righteous? Sanctimonious?

August 9, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sonder Twyful

This doctor is a complete fraud. He gets tons of money from drug companies and media interview and he's only interested in being a celebrity. He was trying to get the position of Surgeon General and he ate the DEA's position on marijuana, hook, line,and sinker. He obviously did a Google search on "Is marijuana harmful" and then took the first hits as total fact. Now he admits that he didn't do enough research about the benefits of marijuana before he condemned it. This is the reason I have a problem with most doctors ... with very little information they set themselves up as gods and gurus to the detriment of our health. So – it took him seeing someone in person – a little girl with severe epilepsy – for him to review his stand? Give me a break. I'm glad he didn't get the top post.

August 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Thomas Hood

Sanjay Gupta is a blessing to the USA. May God bless him and other Indian-Americans. If you have ever benefited from the services of an Indian-American doctor as I have, you know their value. Sanjay is right. It is absurd to deny the medical benefits of a substance that anyone could grow in their backyard. I despise the shallow hippy mentality, but Sanjay Gupta? Never.

Gupta's critics do not understand the depth of the man they are criticizing.

August 8, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Dudeman McDuderson

This revelation is hardly shocking. By late adulthood, almost everyone has tried Marijuana at least once.

August 8, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Mario Juan

WELCOME TO GUPTA WEED CLINIC.
    Gupta wants in on the million dollar dispensary business.
    Buy all your marijuana needs from Gupta.
    Gupta is now a weed addict and smoking weed gave him a vision, a revelation.

August 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Thomas Hood

A guy once told me, "I have a barn full of it. Take a sack and get what you want. I was proper and did not take him up on his offer. No more. I have had an uncle and a neighbor with glaucoma. To think that a simple substance that I could have grown for them would relieve their symptoms. No more. The War on Drugs be damned.

August 8, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Charles Waller

Mr. Morgan, a question you might pose Mr. Campbell regarding "marijuana addiction" and his chosen vocation: What percentage of your patients prsenting as "marijuana addicts" are court ordered or referred for treatment as diversion from the crminal justice system. As Dr. Gupta noted, only 9% of users might even possibly be considered "addicted", but the fact is cannabinoids, including THC, do not create physical dependency with physiological withdrawal symptoms. Mr. Campbell would almost certainly experience a significant decrease of court ordered treatment opportunities for his BUSINESS should cannabis be legalized nationally for non-medical use. Comparison of cannabis with alcohol and tobacco is invalid, the first two are toxic, addictive plant derivatives with little (if any currently) medical or beneficial uses. Even occasional, slight to moderate use of either has immediate negative health consequences. Cannabis is not toxic. LD-50 is too high to calculate, but estimated at 1:20-40,000. Cannabis has innumerable, divere medical applications because it works with the endogenous cannabinoid system (ECS) to regulate other bodily systems.

August 9, 2013 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. anewwe

Dear Piers Morgan,

We need more of your kind in journalism.
    Dump CNN and make your own show, that way you don't have to invite a former heroin and cocaine addict turned psychologist, Howard Samuel, on your show. Any primary care doctor who ever personally smoked marijuana will agree [because it's a statistic] that cannabis is safer than both alcohol and pharmaceutical medications.

Thank you for staying politely calm in the face of unintelligent banter, you are as smooth as nutella.
    Sincerely,
    -Ani Wheat

August 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. ganja baby

In the words of the late great Peter Tosh," Legalize it !! ". It was extremely uplifting to listen to Piers and Sanjay discuss herb in an open and honest fashion , I salute you. Pointing out the glaring hypocrisy exposed when the question "why is herb illegal anyway?" is asked , hurts the anti-cannabis lobbyists ,but these folks have never allowed anything as inconsequential as the truth detract from their quest to misinform. I truly admire your calm and cool demeanor whilst dealing with these self serving bigots . Anyone can tell a lie but the truth reveals itself. After so many years of brainwashing it may take some folks awhile to realize they have been duped by those they thought were trustworthy. Hopefully now the other side of the story is coming from respected sources and not "dirty rastas" like myself , maybe the Healing of the Nation will one day be free like every other plant species . Is there any other organism we seek to drive into extinction deliberately ? Herb became illegal due to a combination of racism, fear and ignorance etc. To continue to destroy peoples lives for utilizing cannabis is unacceptable , and sitting by while thousands are arrested and imprisoned for a substance more benign than table salt or sugar is unconscionable and needs to end , like thirty years ago. Cigarettes allegedly kill six million annually , alcohol a couple hundred thousand , prescriptions one every nineteen seconds , Ganja never killed a soul since four thousand BC ( first recorded use. ) Decriminalization makes no sense , why seek to limit something so much safer than legal drugs which have no such regulation eg. small amounts for personal use . When the herb is liberated governments should not be allowed to tax what should be a cottage industry for non corporate individuals giving the small man , especially drug war victims , first chance , .trickle up economics ! Government can profit from the untold billions saved by dismantling the war on drugs and amputating its tentacles.

August 9, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Paulpot

Prohibition does nothing to prevent people from getting drugs for recreational purposes while only managing to keep those drugs from the people who really need them.
    When you consider that some banned substances really have medicinal properties, you have to acknowledge that denying medicine to those in great need is no different to beating someone with a stick and holding them under water. It is mass torture and mass murder of our loved ones at a time when they are most in need of help.
    And it happens as a result of wide spread persecution of the poor and minority groups.
    This persecution results in loss of liberty and psychological trauma to many and the breaking of family and community bonds.
    Prohibition is a "Crime Against Humanity".
    Legalize! Apologize! Compensate!
    Prosecute the perpetrators!

August 11, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. joe

I have never tried it either yet I wonder about why people take it. Does it really get you high? I guess it is okay to use it if you are in pain or have some condition where conventional medicine cannot help. Would legalizing pot help or hinder society ? I can't believe Gupta used it. I honestly wouldn't know it if it was put in front of me. How does one identify it from another substance.

August 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jeff Steinbeck

I can't imagine anyone with a legitimate medical degree saying "smoking marijuana" actually has beneficial side-effects, who would take such a man seriously? He himself said he smoked it and made him feel sick, well, how in God's name could it be better for say a young, dumb, impressionable person to smoke marijuana and then become addicted to it and then say it's good. Right, Gupta, no common sense. BTW, smoking nicotine is bad for you, I guess, you couldn't tell a young liberal anything right? Smoking causes cancer, short answer...well, how in the hell can smoking marijuana, which is definitely more toxic than smoking cigarettes, be better for you? LOL...Liberals are insane...Smoking weed makes you feel good, so does eating twinkies, will you do that all day too?

August 13, 2013 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ganjababy

I can't imagine anyone with half a brain could deny the beneficial effects of cannabis,much less someone with a legitimate medical degree.Jeff, what logic do you employ when claiming cannabis,which has never killed a soul, is more toxic than cigarettes(cancer sticks), which are said to kill six million people annually including a couple hundred thousand from second hand smoke.No wonder children reject this brand of drug "education".The tide is slowly turning.

August 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. alexander

Nice job, it’s a fantastic post. The info is good to learn!
    alexander http://painlunch04.skyrock.com/3179148891-Should-the-Renal-Diet-Have-Ice-Cream.html

August 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. hempshare

Once one understands the process of Decarboxylation it becomes rather obvious who has, and who has not smoked marijuana (I also suggest looking that word up in a 100 year old dictionary).

Anyone who refers to getting "high" has smoked marijuana because if they hadn't they wouldn't KNOW it CAN get you "high".

However, there is NO THC in the Cannabis Plant. So the laws are laws against the POSSIBLE Decarboxylation.

Or in other words...the Strawman.

September 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Nirvana Seeds Reviews

The myth of marijuana in the U.S. attests to just how easily the media can control our thoughts, and I am sure that there are many other topics that the media twists to get what they want.

November 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. In Home Personal Training Long Island

Sanjay Gupta and Piers Morgan you pot heads. Sanjay I watched your 60 min's episode about pot and I'm glad you opinion on pot has changed. I think studying pot is a good thing. However, We need to make sure people are not engineering pot to increase THC amounts for recreational use.

December 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. choicedental

Both of them will get extra love from http://www.jahmeds.com when they're in California on the central coast. Folks like this coming out, makes the "worthless stoner" stigma more and more obviously misplaced.

February 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply