Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 14th, 2013

All about pot: Montel, Sanjay, and marijuana

Tonight at 9, Piers Morgan welcomes back a variety of guests, coming from a slew of backgrounds. But on tonight’s show, the docket includes one main subject: pot.

Montel Williams on what he’s gained from cannabis

A perennial guest on "Piers Morgan Live," Montel Williams joins the discussion on medical marijuana. Williams has previously spoken on the show about his debilitating disease and, this time, brings to the floor his own experiences with medical marijuana.

Williams is in favor of the legalization of cannabis in all states. The “Pot Moms,” – who made an appearance in June – would agree.

"Gone To Pot" Continued: Dr. Sanjay Gupta weighs in

Meanwhile, last week Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke with Piers Morgan about his CNN documentary “Weed,” in which he investigates the pros and cons of the plant. In the one-hour special, the network's chief medical expert not only took an objective look at the substance, but even admitted that he has changed his mind, allowing that pot may in fact have medicinal benefits.

Gupta isn't the only "Piers Morgan Live" guest to have shifted his thinking regarding marijuana. In a recent visit to the program, Patrick Kennedy went the other way, admitting that while an inital supporter of medicinal marijuana, he's since changed his tune.

Joining Gupta and Williams, Dr. Sharon Levy will add her insight into the polarizing pot debate, bringing with her information gained as the Director of the Adolescent Substance Abuse Program at Boston Children's Hospital and Chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Substance Abuse.

Watch the video above as Morgan and Gupta explain they've each tried weed and then tune in tonight at 9 for this exposé and more. Gupta’s CNN special entitled "Weed" re-airs this Friday at 10p ET.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. davidpun

The Federal Government does some ridiculous things with controlling medication for pain. My wife suffers from a chronic pain syndrome called CRPS. She requires Fentanyl for pain control. For ten years she was using Fentanyl patches and occasionally the Fentanyl "lollipop" (brand name Actiq) to control severe breakthrough pain. Starting this year the FDA is forbidding pain doctors from prescribing Actiq except for patients whose pain is caused by cancer. So now, for two patients with the same pain e.g. chronic nerve pain, only those whose pain is caused by cancer are permitted to obtain the pain relief. Those who suffer this pain for any other reason....tough!!

August 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Richard

Pierce, Seems Dr. Levy Really does not know a thing about pot or she would not be back stepping so much. I my self live in chronic Pain from a motorcycle accident resulting in a two vertebra in the neck and three in the thoracic back. I am on Three types of Morphine , orally, Patch fentanyl and deluded as well as a pain pump and Xanax for the problems from the meds. Since I took Marijuana for my pain it has Reduced the amount of Pharmaceutical drugs my pain dr. has me hooked on. funny thing is he is also against pot. however another Doctor recommended a dose and I quit taking 16 vicodine a day 6 deluded a day 100 mg of fentanyl in have cut my doses in half. I am lucky to be walking . however in chronic pain without medicine. But I would rather smoke or eat weed than killing my organs slowly.

August 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. deemarie

And here's another demonized drug. Methadone. Sanja Gupta here is your next assignment.

Methadone was found to significantly inhibit the in vitro and in vivo growth of human lung cancer cells.
    Google "effects of methadone on human lung cancer cells"

"Methadone kills sensitive LEUKEMIA cells and also breaks treatment resistance, but without any toxic effects on non-leukemic blood cells,"

Expert opinion leans toward the use of methadone for neuropathic pain, in part because of its NMDA antagonism.

Methadone imo is gods gift. I was on it, via heroin use (sorry), for six yrs and it made me normal. I'd still be on it but with husbands illness/death, parents cancers, strokes etc. I had to quit work and move back home. Long story short without methadone I've reverted to my old reclusive, panicky, overanxious, insecure self. I hate me.

Pot does the opposite of methadone for me. Pot is pure hell. Make me so self-conscious, like STOP LIGHT ON DI__! I wish we could ban alcohol.

August 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Warren D Smith (PhD)

Marijuana-oil extract may cure some kinds of Achalasia.
    If you have achalasia and are interested in participating in a study to learn more, see

1. The study and how to participate are described here:

2. An incomplete paper describing the study so far and its results so far is here:

To Piers - I want to advertise the possibility to participate in this study, but I do not want to advertise
    a miracle cure for achalasia (it IS a miracle cure, but only for 1 or a few patients as yet,
    which is not convincing enough). Also I do not want to get into legal trouble.
    This study can happen "grassroots" in as little as in 1 month if it
    gets enough advertising, or it can wait for decades before study
    happens if it does not get enough advertising.

August 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jeff

Why must marijuana be smoked to be effective? Most medications are delivered in a discrete doses; so many mg in pills, etc.

August 15, 2013 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Splinter Cell

Cannabis does not "need" to be smoked. You can use a vaporizer which does not combust cannabis. Smoking is only 1 or 100's of ways to ingest cannabis.

August 15, 2013 at 4:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Don M

If you take a look at this site: http://www.marijuanamajority.com/

You will find that Sanjay Gupta and Montel only scratch the surface of people including Law Enforcement personnel, people in the medical profession, celebrities, and more endorse ending marijuana prohibition. It was stupid in the first place and after 70 years of locking up good people for choosing to use a safe substance is even stupider now.

It didn't hurt President Obama because he didn't get caught!

August 15, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. ganja baby

Piers, another good interview,i am glad Montel finds relief using the "healing of the nations",and in my opinion using the herb in it's natural form beats anything scientists can concoct by isolating one component from a perfectly balanced plant.The main reason being cost,the plant can be grown for nearly nothing and we all know the prohibitive costs of pharmaceuticals.Also i don't feel governments should be the source, the weed in the gov. supplied tins is said to be low quality and between crops, very old.Check out the Rastafari people who have long expounded the positive benefits but were ignored until people with nice haircuts and degrees repeated what Peter Tosh summed up about thirty plus years ago with his song Legalize It and Bush Doctor.

August 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Frank

I suffered a traumatic brain injury while serving this great nation. As a result I developed a seizure disorder which left me incapacitated and unable to do the majority of the activities I enjoy. I was put on 6000 mg. of anticonvulsants which only made matters worse. The side effects are horrible including dizziness, double vision, mood disorders, suicide attempts, only to name a few. I've been prescribed over 10 medications or combinations of medications without any benefit. A fellow soldier from Alaska (where medicinal cannabis is legal) gave me a sample and since I began using Cannabis my seizures have decreased from approx. 20 per week to none in over a year. Cannabis has been stigmatized and only now are the medicinal benefits being brought to light. To all of those against the benefits it offers, encourage a family member or a friend with a debilitating condition. You might be amazed.

August 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Yetta Gipp

Keep up the excellent piece of work, I read few posts on this internet site and I conceive that your weblog is very interesting and has sets of fantastic information.

August 20, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply