Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 14th, 2013

Montel Williams on Sanjay Gupta's groundbreaking research: "I'd hug this guy and kiss this guy because [it's] what we've been waiting for in this entire movement"

Last week Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke with Piers Morgan about his CNN documentary “Weed,” in which he investigates the pros and cons of the plant. In the one-hour special, the network's chief medical expert not only took an objective look at the substance, but even admitted that he has changed his mind, allowing that pot may in fact have medicinal benefits. Tonight, he was joined by perennial "Piers Morgan Live" guest Montel Williams. Williams has previously spoken on the show about his debilitating disease and, this time, brought to the floor his own experiences with medical marijuana.

Williams couldn't be more grateful for Gupta's year-long research into marijuana and its effects on the human body:

"I'd hug this guy and kiss this guy because what we've been waiting for in this entire movement," Williams exclaimed. "I'm not talking about the movement to legalize, that's not what I'm involved in at all."

Over the past week since Gupta's documentary "Weeds" was released, he's been stressing the medical benefits of marijuana and not straying into recreational use. While he has received much praise for his work the doctor has also received some criticism:

"I think the criticism often stems from this dichotomy that 'look if you do this, what about the kids?' I get it. I have kids. I understand that concern," Gupta explained. "But I don't think either Montel or I are saying this is something we would advocate for kids to taking. Look, if the trade off is because of the concern about kids, that patients will be denied therapy that works for them like Montel Williams and like hundreds and thousands of other patients out there, that's not something I think doctors or frankly any compassionate person should accept."

Watch the clip to see Williams and Gupta show off how the government has been supplying marijuana cigarettes to a few U.S. citizens for years, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Gone to Pot
  1. Eric M.

Even Alcoholics Anonymous and Sister 12 Step Programs admit that the issue of Addiction is not in the substance but in the Physical/Emotional/Spiritual make-up of the Addict / Alcoholic.

August 15, 2013 at 12:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. max

I think taxing it well help the USA. I think it well cut the bad stuff coming in down. Its the next big money maker. I think it may cause cancer.

August 15, 2013 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mikedenney

Hearing Montel with Gupta on Morgan's show last night, it finally makes sense–Montel's longstanding fight with the evils of 'legitimacy' and 'honesty'...all his late-night sales pitches, hawking everything from unnecessary online computer ID protection services to (basically) charm bracelets...and everything else in between. His lapse of judgment is featured on Morgan's already-grasping show, alongside the biggest lapse of personal judgment (yes, I AM calling Gupta's recent 'realignment', which to me amounts to his turning to the 'dark side of the force')...what coincidentally-ironic timing, this pairing. Remarkable–in retrospect, I can forgive Montel more than Gupta, for his 'condition' (the emotional and mental aspects of which may have been mounting for years, after his show left TV) may have adversely affected his own judgment, whereas any licensed physician (much less an American 'icon', which Gupta has been pushing himself to be for years) has simply no excuse for coming out with such deferential statements that destroy whatever minimal credibility he retains after his monumental sellout over the last 3 years to CNN alone.
    More than ever, we should be asking our own, hopefully small-town, personal care physicians what they think about the potentially-detrimental effects of long-term, habitual marijuana use. I'm hoping most will say they honestly can't even communicate with their patients who have used the drug RECREATIONALLY for more than a decade.
    As ever, I am myself convinced that there are ALWAYS going to be pain-reducing benefits necessitated by those fighting long-term battles with cancer and MANY OTHER illnesses that can cause many to become addicted to MUCH WORSE painkillers like hydrocodine, oxycontin, and other hopelessly-uncontrollable drugs that can literally rot your spine and other major important skeletal structures.
    However, Gupta's statements are, as usual, as irresponsible as they come–from their sudden visibility alone, to their showcasing of his own personal opinion shift, these are the statements of a man who clearly chooses his media ambitions over any kind of responsibility towards the human race, and should lose his license as long as he's not actually seeing real patients in an actual daily practice anyway.

August 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jahhe

you seem stressed. maybe you should smoke some weed

August 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rhonda Cates

Did you feel this way about Gupta when he wrote the article in "Times" magazine how against he was in medical cannabis? There will always be people like you that know everything and NO nothing. Have a great day

August 19, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Alison Myrden

Wow. Do people need educating.

My name is Alison Myrden and I battle chronic progressive multiple sclerosis and an excruciating pain in my face and head twenty-four hours a day and have with little relief for the last twenty-five years. I am also a retired Law Enforcement Officer and Speaker for LEAP – Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and have been for almost a decade.

My story is found here: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1018909

And here: http://www.leap.cc/author/Alison/

Please educate yourselves on this incredible plant and all of it's healing properties.

Until then I leave u with the following Links in my tag line...

Thank U.
    Sincerely,

Alison Myrden
    Federal Medical Marijuana Exemptee in Canada
    Retired Law Enforcement Officer
    Speaker for LEAP since 2004
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Canadian Patient Representative for the IACM
    International Association of Cannabinoid Medicines

August 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mike C.

I could care less on the legalization to smoke it. I know it helps a lot but it's pretty much a pain reducer and hunger stimulant. I want it decriminalized so I can grow it as a food. I want to be able to ingest it by juicing it and eating it on a daily basis to take full advantage of the THCa and to actually benefit from it's true healing qualities.

August 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Fire

Federal government should classify marijuana off the number one drug list. States should jump on the bandwagon and start getting things set up so we can start using marijuana.... Do it today I wanna smoke some kick butt weed....

August 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Roxanne Harris

So let me get this right. On CNN on the Pierce Morgan show and last week with Dr Gupta they were talking about Cannabis so they interviewed the All American White people. Blonde and blue eyed boy next door , house wives Beverly hills types. Having "weed" parties and starting business. Man Man on the corner started a business also. WHO IS INTERVIEWING HIM ON THE BENEFIT AND BUSINESS OF CANNIBIS INDUSTRY. Even called the women on tonight sow the Mothers of Marijuana and the young men from Colorado who have a multi million dollar business growing "weed" the Robin Hoods of Marijuana. WTW. When your black behind has anything to do with "weed" you ate only shown in a negative light and as a law breaker. There is some fraganagle mess going on here . Now that e are growing it and putting it in cookies and candies and cakes it is a white to do it. Come on CNN. You could not find any African American's on the medicinal side of Cannabis and the law.

August 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kathy A

I have been taking multiple meds.for many yrs for seizures,fibromyalgia,headaches,and pain management injections that have failed. i continue to take my seizure meds. but i refuse to take muscle relaxants and pain meds. IT LOOKS LIKE A PHARMACY IN MY HOME!!. A waste of insurance money. WHAT ARE THEY SO AFRAID OF THE LEGALIZATION OF WEED FOR? They are worried about the kids getting a hold of it!!!? Give me a break. how many kids already got a hold of their parents rx meds. etc oxycodone,vicodin ,percoset and so on. then they get addicted to them. have you ever heard of anyone overdosing on pot? Famous or not. i can go on but they should just stop all the b.s. and look at the medical aspect of it all and try and help the sick. i said my peace. thank you. i must go and take some pain away.!!!

August 18, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply