Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 23rd, 2013

Joshua Cooke on America's assault weapon problem, killing his parents, and what experts think of his exclusive interview

Coming up this evening, "Piers Morgan Live" will feature a fascinating interview with an imprisoned Joshua Cooke, the man who murdered his parents in 2003.

Speaking from a jail cell in Virginia, Cooke offers insight into America's gun problem, specifically the availability of high-powered, high caliber firearms:

"If I had an assault weapon, things would have been much worse. And I thank God I didn't have an AR-15 or some other type of assault weapon because the way I was back then mentally, I would have gone to the mall that night or to one of my old high schools the next morning and killed as many people as I possibly could," reveals Cooke. "Because I didn't have an assault weapon, that didn't happen. So I thank God I didn't have one of those things, and the gun does matter."

• The Night He Killed

As part of a jailhouse interview, on Friday Joshua Cooke will describe the "sensation" he was experiencing when he shot his parents to death more than a decade ago:

"I had no emotion at all. I was basically like a zombie. I went down the steps and I shot my mother. She was sitting in this chair. They had a computer. She had spun around and I shot her and, it grazed her chest. I turned and looked over at my father. He was at the other computer. And he dove under the table and I shot him about seven times underneath the table," Cooke tells Piers Morgan. "I was numb. There had been so many years of hurt from mother's abuse and bullying, rejection from girls, all types of things like that, I just - I didn't care about anything anymore."

Having fired multiple times on his father, Moore went back to his room to reload his weapon:

"I came back down at the top of the stairs above the basement. And my mother was standing there at the bottom of the steps. And she looked at me and she had her hands like this at her chest. And she said, 'What are you doing, Joshua? Why did you do this?' And I loaded the gun, I pointed it at her face and I shot her in the face. I walked down the steps, I stepped over her body and I shot my father in the head one more time. And then, I walked back upstairs, set the gun down, I grabbed a Coke and drank it and then called the police."

• Inside the Mind of a Killer

Following Morgan's exclusive interview with Cooke, the CNN host will invite a panel of mental health and crime experts to offer their insights.

"What really struck me and I have seen this in other cases involving people with serious mental illness and it appears he has schizophrenia from previous diagnoses, he's sort of cobbling together the story this many years later," notes Xavier Amador, the founder of the Leap Institute. "The prosecution theory that this was rage and anger, the defense theory this was mental illness and yet, when you asked him what were you thinking that night, he really didn't have an answer for you. He really didn't understand. I think that was a function of a broken brain."

Watch the rest of the above clip to hear author Cheryl Olson, and Criminology professor James Alan Fox, each offer their opinions as to the role violent video games, and previous mass shootings, may play in influencing the behaviors of certain factions of America's youth.

And, for the full edition of "Inside the Mind of a Killer," watch "Piers Morgan Live" at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. brasstacs

American assault weapon problem ???..According to the FBI more people are killed by blunt objects each year in this country then with rifles,any kind of rifles including which are incorrectly called assault rifles. Cons will say or do anything,if they think it will somehow benefit them in some way.And is there no end to the deceit of the tabloid phony Piers Morgan and the lengths he'll go for his twisted agenda and his sagging ratings ??

August 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • timbo76

You've got to be kidding me. I mean, blunt objects are everywhere. Rifles are just one type of firearm, and yet this one type of firearm actually results in the murder of a comparable number of people as the ubiquitous blunt object. What a tragic waste of human life, for no legitimate reason. I'd like to have seen Holmes try to kill all those people at the theater with a blunt object. Can you imagine that??!!!! Please, god please, do not try to minimize the slaughter of innocents. More people die of heart attacks – SO WHAT!!!! If you are OK with the continuing slaughter just say it. Admit that you don't care about the people in that theater. If those are your true feelings. But please, please do not try to minimize it with bogus and misleading comparisons. That strategy is clearly beneath contempt.

August 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • brasstacs

Timbo...You obviously aren't getting my meaning of the statistic I quoted. Gun violence is relatively low with rifles....Most of the gun violence is done by criminal thugs shooting other thugs with illegal handguns...And this is not about any new gun control issues ..It's about keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals and wacko's...and we already have those laws on the books..The so called straw gun buyers is what should be the focus to crack down hard on....and BTW Holmes also used a shotgun and handguns..and none of those gun control proposals would have prevented any of those horrific mass shootings...Now do get what I'm saying ??

August 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rcis

I'm from Staunton, VA. My father retired from Augusta Correctional. Worked at Staunton's minimum security too before it was closed. This Joshua guy has been coached for this, according to my father. That's all I'm saying about this. Plus, Drowning Pool's "BODIES" is about a mosh-pit and being in the middle of the excitement at a metal show. I smell more propaganda from our media, and Piers.

August 23, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Carmen Allen

Piers Morgan, Joshua Cooke didn't say video games "fueled" his decision to murder. He actually said the games made him feel better, it was a release for him. You later turned it around to get Cooke to say it was video games that influenced him. Hate is what fueled Cooke, so let's address the real problems and stop blaming video games. I don't like violent games and didn't allow my children to view them but as an advocate I have seen children who blow up when the one thing that calms them or helps them release their anxiety is abruptly take away. If Cooke had not played the video games to release his anxiety he would probably have committed the crime long before. Really Piers, some people stim in different ways. Why didn't someone get him help when he played for 15 hours a day? Why didn't people address his anger and the bullying? Taking away the violent video games doesn't address the root of the problem.

August 23, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. DChaffen

It is so disgusting watching Piers make the killer look like the viictim. It was a movie, it was the video game, it was the psyco biological parents he never met, it was the access to a gun, it was society. And then he adds if he had an assault rifle? This is Piers's true agenda.....gun control. it is such a ludicrous question. What if he had an atom bomb? Hey Piers, maybe their are just evil people in the world and there always will be. We have the death penalty to deal with awful people like him and that is how we make good being valuable.

August 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • timbo76

The only problem with moral condemnation is that it does nothing to increase our understanding of what leads to murder. It may make you feel better to sit in that grand, grand chair of judgment and condemn, but it does nothing to prevent the next murder. We should try to understand why these things happen. And to understand we must listen. We don't have to believe and accept everything said, but if we don't even listen, we are doing nothing to prevent the next tragedy – which should be our goal. Not just to condemn actions from the past, but to make a better future. Of course, that is more difficult.

August 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ann

Joshua Cooke said that he murdered because of his lack of love from his parents, his perceived schizophrenia, and his isolation as a student. I do not remember him saying that the films, nor the video games made him decide to kill. They fuelled the hate that was already in his heart. They exasperated the situation, but they were not the cause.
    I think Joshua did great to speak the CNN, God bless him.

August 23, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • timbo76

I agree with you, Ann. I'm glad he had the courage to go on TV, and his message may even cause the next person who is contemplating murder, to step back from that prospect. But Joshua Cooke did say that the video games and the music affected his thinking. It certainly seems possible that this could be the case, and that some murders might take place that would not have, but for the availability of video games and music that appear to have murder as their subject. I see nothing that would permit me to dismiss that possibility. It's also possible that this is not the case. We need to consider it carefully, perhaps do research on the subject and attempt to make an evidence-based evaluation. But it seems to me that many don't want to even consider the possibility. That is wrong. We need to be open minded. Knee-jerk dismissiveness does not help to build a better society.

August 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Name*deborah

I played video games when I was a kid not all the time we played outside we played duck hunt where you shot ducks that were laughing it was a game.It didn't make me feel like killing anyone.we knew right from wrong so I think people that say it was because I played video games I killed someone I don't buy it I think if you have a sick mind maybe.but if you know right from wrong and your taught properly.you know that is unacceptable behavior to kill anyone.

August 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jay tron

You could have come up with a more applicable inmate to speak on bullying,like Josh Puckett.
    He was bullied because his parents were gay, then his mothers were publicly killed because they were gay by the next door neighbor. 1 year later mr.puckett was in a gang who was serving.as a surrogate family, and a year after that he was in prison for murder. He was not.the shooter and the assult weapon was not his but his anger and self hate prevented him from defending himself and he has now served 17.years of a natural life sentence. He has a website, and a blog, and he mentors young inmates. He is trying to make a real.difference our society because he realizes he completed the cycle of violence . A inmate like that deserves to have his voice heard, Not a guy who BLAMES his crimes on outside sources like music and video games. When a man makes a poor choice he only.deserves a second chance when he owns up.to.it and takes action to.right his wrongs. Josh puckett is tsking those steps. Check.his story out at:

Jay Tron

August 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Crystal

Joshua Cooke repeated over and over that the violent games and the "Matrix" did not drive him to do those horrific killings. He ultimately said that the decision was his, and his alone. He simply stated that they were factors in fueling rage that was already rooted in him. I believe had he known sooner about his biological parents mental state, he could have gotten some help. I applaud him for doing this interview and I pray that others who are contemplating the same crimes listen to the advice he gave about getting help!

August 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Anne

I think this young man was very brave to come forward and allow you to interview him. He was making an attempt to educate people and reach out to those who may be troubled. Good for you Piers!

August 24, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. max

You say that it's young white males. That are killing. So you put this guy on. Why? White males have it hard. Even the white guy that drove the car when they killed the jogger. You join them or they beat you like the kid on the bus. Two more blacks guys beat an old white guy to death. A baby shot in the faces. What do you think the story would read if. It had been two white kids that shot a black baby in the faces.

August 24, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Matthew

Yeah, like I really want to know what a killer thinks. He's a stupid little coward with delusions of being a man. He makes a ridiculous claim that he would have done something differently, but what he was was just a little coward that was too afraid to talk out his issues or man up, and decided to kill the people that loved him the most.

"If I only had a bazooka," or, "If I only had an assault airplane," just tells me that this little joke of a person who should have been swallowed has not grown up even a little, and isn't fit to be in the company of real people.

But then again, he was in the company of Piers Morgan, to promote gun control. Think about that.

August 24, 2013 at 9:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. DFGSDFG

PROYECTO GENOCIDIO DE INVESTIGACION.

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

DENUNCIA A LOS POLITICOS QUE SE ENCUENTRA EN LOS EXPEDIENTES QUE SE ENVIARON AL C.I.D.H.:

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.
    LA VENTA SE HACE DIRECTAMENTE A AGENCIAS DE INTELIGENCIA, CON EL OBJETIVOS DE REALIZARLES RADIACIONES SATELITALES, CAUTERIZACIONES CON NANO TECNOLOGIA, PARA OBTENER INFORMACION GENETICA, LA QUE ES VENDIDA PARA DESARROLLOS MEDICOS, TECNOLOGICOS Y ASTROFISICOS.

August 24, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. SDFG234

PROYECTO GENOCIDIO DE INVESTIGACION.

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

HEMOS ENVIADO LA INFORMACION A LOS GERENTES FBI INTERPOL EUROPOL, SOBRE ASESINATOS DE REYES POLITICOS Y PRINCIPES.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

August 24, 2013 at 10:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. SDFGSDFG

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

August 24, 2013 at 10:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. SDFG123123

PROYECTO GENOCIDIO DE INVESTIGACION.

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

August 24, 2013 at 10:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. FGHDFGH

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

---------------–

HAGAMOS UN EJERSICIO PSIQUIATRICO. TIPO MENTE MARAVILLOSA CASO QUE SABEMOS QUE FUERON AGENCIAS NAZIS, PROBANDO TECNOLOGIAS PARA ESTIMULACION DE LA SENSO PERSEPCION.

TRATEN DE LLAMAR PARA QUE VEAN COMO AL TRATAR DE COMUNICARNOS TODAS LAS AGENCIAS DE LOS DIFERENTES PAISES NOS INTERBIENEN LAS LLAMADAS.

LES ENVIAMOS LAS INFORMACIONES SOBRE COMO HIJOS DE PRESIDENTES REALIZAN CRIMENES Y LLAGAN INFORMACIONES QUE NO ENVIAMOS.

August 24, 2013 at 10:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. SDFGSDFYTYUG

DENUNCIA POR GENOCIDIO ASESINATOS MASIVOS CON USOS SATELITALES.

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

-----–

August 24, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. DFGHDFGH

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

---------------–

LES PEDIMOS QUE NOS LLAMEN POR QUE EN ACTIVIDADES LABORALES O DE INVESTIGACION NO NOS DEJAN QUE LAS LLAMADAS LAS CAPTEN CELULARES.

August 24, 2013 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. SDFGSDERTWERFG

CUANTAS LLAMADAS AL DIA RECIBIRIA CON 13.000 DENUNCIAS.

------------------------------------

LA VENTA DE HUMANOS PARA ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA EN VENEZUELA.

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

DENUNCIANTE: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    CARABOBO, VALENCIA, VENEZUELA, CALLE 133, URB PREBO.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

NO COMIENZAN LAS INVESTIGACIONES, POR QUE SON COMPLICES.

-----–

FIJENSE QUE NO APARECEMOS EN LAS PAGINAS DE ORGANIZACIONES POLICIALES.

August 24, 2013 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. SDFGSDFGERQWERQWER

¿HOW MANY CALLS A DAY WITH 13,000 COMPLAINTS WILL YOU RECIVE?.

COMPLAINT THAT POLITICIANS ARE IN THE RECORDS THAT WERE SENT TO C.I.D.H.:

THE SALE OF HUMAN STUDIES OF THE HUMAN RACE IN VENEZUELA.
    THE SALE IS MADE DIRECTLY TO INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES, WITH SATELLITE RADIATION TARGETS field-work, cauterization WITH NANO TECHNOLOGY, FOR GENETIC INFORMATION, WHICH IS SOLD FOR MEDICAL DEVELOPMENTS, TECHNOLOGY and astrophysicists.

WE SENT THE INFORMATION TO THE FBI MANAGERS Interpol Europol, ON POLITICAL KILLINGS OF KINGS AND PRINCES.

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

WHISTLEBLOWER: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    Carabobo, Valencia, VENEZUELA, street 133, URB Prebo.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

LET'S MAKE A PSYCHIATRIC EJERSICIO. TYPE BEAUTIFUL MIND IF WE KNOW THAT AGENCIES WERE NAZIS, TESTING TECHNOLOGIES FOR STIMULATION OF persepcion SENSO.

TRY TO CALL TO SEE HOW YOU TRY TO COMMUNICATE TO ALL AGENCIES OF DIFFERENT COUNTRIES CALL NOS INTERBIENEN.

INFORMATION ON THE SHIP THEM AS CHILDREN OF PRESIDENTS MAKE CRIMES AND INFORMATION THAT WE DO NOT SHIP Ilagan.

PLEASE CALL FOR THAT WE WORK OR RESEARCH ACTIVITIES DO NOT LET THAT CALLS THE CELL CAPTEN.

Note that do not appear in PAGES OF POLICE ORGANIZATIONS.

August 24, 2013 at 10:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. ERSDFGTSDFG

¿HOW MANY CALLS A DAY WITH 13,000 COMPLAINTS WILL YOU RECIVE?.

COMPLAINT THAT POLITICIANS ARE IN THE RECORDS THAT WERE SENT TO C.I.D.H.:

THE SALE OF HUMAN STUDIES OF THE HUMAN RACE IN VENEZUELA.

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

WHISTLEBLOWER: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    Carabobo, Valencia, VENEZUELA, street 133, URB Prebo.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

TRY TO CALL TO SEE HOW YOU TRY TO COMMUNICATE TO ALL AGENCIES OF DIFFERENT COUNTRIES CALL.

INFORMATION ON THE SHIP THEM AS CHILDREN OF PRESIDENTS MAKE CRIMES AND INFORMATION THAT WE DO NOT SHIP.

PLEASE CALL FOR THAT WE WORK OR RESEARCH ACTIVITIES DO NOT LET THAT CALLS THE CELL CAPT.

Note that do not appear in PAGES OF POLICE ORGANIZATIONS.
    August 24, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Mark G.

Morgan has finally lost his mind. Now he is taking the advice of a crazed killer. Time to retire Piers.

August 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. DFGHDFGHSDFG

¿HOW MANY CALLS A DAY WITH 13,000 COMPLAINTS WILL YOU RECIVE?.

THE CANADA MINISTER HARPER PAY MONEY IN GOLD TO THIS HUMAN RACE STUDIES.

REMEMBER MK ULTRA NOW IS IN CANADA.

COMPLAINT THAT POLITICIANS ARE IN THE RECORDS THAT WERE SENT TO C.I.D.H.:

THE SALE OF HUMAN STUDIES OF THE HUMAN RACE IN VENEZUELA.

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

WHISTLEBLOWER: JUAN CARLOS VALLEJOS.
    Carabobo, Valencia, VENEZUELA, street 133, URB Prebo.

TEL: 0058-0414-422-91-69

INVESTIGATIONS BEGIN NO, WHY ARE COMPLICES.

Note that do not appear in PAGES OF POLICE ORGANIZATIONS.
    August 24, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. zxcvzxcv

PROBLEMA DE SALUBRIDAD NUNDIAL.

TENEMOS QUE HACER UNA INVESTIGACION EN TODOS LOS FARMACOS.

ENTREVISTAS CON INFORMANTES – TORTURADORES MENTALES – ESTUDIOS DE LA RAZA HUMANA CON AGENCIAS DE TODOS LOS PAISES EN ESTADOS QUE NO SON DEMOCRATICOS – POR QUE, SOLO POR NEGOCIOS – EMPUJAR A LA DEMENCIA A VENEZOLANOS IRRADIANDOLOS MIENTRAS HACER PROGRAMAS DE TELEVISION Y MANIPULAN A HABITANTES PARA QUE CREAN QUE LAS MANIPULACIONES SE HACEN SON SOLO CUESTION DE CIENCIA FICCION CUNADO TENEMOS MILLONES DE CASOS DE DESTRUCCION CEREBRAL.

NUEVA PAGINA POR QUE LOS CRIMINALES SERIALES QUE HEMOS DENUNCIADO DE LOS PAISES, SUSPENDIERON LA PAGINA.

LA RAZON EL CONTENIDO ES REALIDAD.

POR QUE UNA AGENCIA SE IBA A TOMAR LA MOLETIA DE ELIMINAR UNA PAGINA SRs. DE CNN.

LES TENEMOS UNA PREGUNTA.

NO LES DA MIEDO QUE LOS MANIPULAN CON NANO TECNOLOGIA.

POR QUE CUANDO LES ESTALLAN EL HIPOTALAMO A LAS VICTIMAS, SE PRODUCE MUCHOS DAÑOS GENETICOS.

NOS PREOCUPA EL CONOCIMIENTO MEDICO DE PROFECIONALES POR QUE LAS UNIVERSIDADES NORTE AMERICANAS SON ECXELENTES.

PERO LAS EMPRESAS QUE PRODUCEN ESTOS MEDICAMENTOS INCLUYEN ESTE TIPO DE NANO PARTICULAS COMO NANO COMPUTADORAS.
    JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
    August 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply

August 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. adopteesplayforchange

How is it possible that these mental health experts did not even touch on the impact of adoption other than to refer to the mental issues his bio parents had? There are many cases of adoptees who have committed crimes in a state of disassociated rage as described by this adoptee. The infant experiences being removed from the mother (sometimes brutally) as a threat to its very survival. This is never forgotten and cannot be healed unless it is acknowledged. Read Dr Kirschner's work regarding the Adopted Child Syndrome in his book Adoption: Uncharted Waters – A psychologist's case studies of clinical and forensic issues.

If more research was devoted to this area, perhaps these tragic cases would not keep happening. It isn't just America – just this week in England an adoptee was jailed for nearly murdering his adoptive mother http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/78578/adopted-son-threatens-to-kill-foster-mother-then-beats-her-unconscious
    and in Australia an adoptee pleaded guilty to murdering a young woman http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/78578/adopted-son-threatens-to-kill-foster-mother-then-beats-her-unconscious

If this was better understood and treatment was directed appropriately (instead of the making connections with movies and games which are just symptoms, not causes) perhaps these tragic crimes would not occur.

August 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Matty

Not defending guns, but a blanket ban on all guns won't solve Americas gun problem, making mandatory checks on those who want to buy guns(To a level that the government deems sensible), seems to be the best route to go, make it enforceable, those who don't get fined.

Infact if there are proper checks in place, make sure those who aren't supposed to have guns, don't have guns. If mentally ill people can't own guns, don't let them, if anyone who owns a gun who falls under a category set owns a gun, take it away. You can do many things to restrict guns without a ban. It'd cost money and effort for any government to enforce though.

August 24, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. zzzippp

It seems this man was sincere. Xavier Amadour's remark is ridiculous. Of course he's "cobbling together" what happened over the years. Isn't cobbling together yoour thoughts the same as letting time pass to allow things to fall into some logical perspective? He stated he was obviously very troubled and took full responsibility, admitted to things most people would not admit to. He stated he was abused, gave examples, and yet still said he loved his parents. Sounds like these 'cobbled together' thoughts were spoken after contemplation over the years and I think it turns off so called progressive people when someone says "God has helped me", which is all God can do. Why is such a statement dismissed out of hand? Someone has to give one personal strength to face a challenging future. Seems God may be a better alternative than all the prescribed medications that so many killers have taken, and when they come down from the meds, even for a brief time, the rage is even stronger. Is there not a correlation between anti depressants and killers eg. Robert Bales in Afghanistan, Colombine killers, this guy Josh.... I don't think you EVER get the drug companies to admit that, even though as more of these meds come into treating troubled people, more of these irrational killings occur. You can make a study say whatever you want it to say but all these anti depressants come the warning the taking these medications can exacerbate depression and destructive thoughts right on the packages. It's a sad state but I'm beginning to think these are MEDICALLY INDUCED HOMICIDES. Of course many people will think I am crazy but start to look at the evidence. Thank you.

August 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. John

Assault weapons again?

The headline you will not see on CNN:
    "Delbert Belton and Christopher Lane Hate Crimes Show a Massive Racial Divide in America."

Sadly, you won't hear this brain dead talking head expressing the warranted outrage over these crimes: The brutal beating of an 84 year old white decorated WWII vet. with a flashlight (no assault weapons needed here Piers!) by 2 black cowards. Or the disgustingly sick shooting of a white Australian baseball star out on a run by a "bored" black punk. Ya Piers, the "white" people (who, yes, you idiot, have lots of solid, hard-working, black friends) are tired of you creating racial divides by Travon Martining us to death... The door swings both ways. Learn that will you... Common sense... Out...

August 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. r2345

THE QUESTION IS, ¿HUGO CHAVEZ WAS GIVING VENEZUELA TO DEMOCRATIC COUNTRIES?.

SATELITAL SPY VENEZUELA.
    REMEMBER THIS IS THE INTERNACIONAL NOVEL GENOCIDE.
    WHILE POLITICS POPES MINISTER AND CORPS ARE LAUGHFING YOU.

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

htpp://www.pgiorg.blog.com

The only missing is a catolic priest violating one of your child in front of you and the agencys generate voltage in your neurons and your psque inconcient.

Buy a devise electromagnetic noice we built some but they burn with PEM.
    August 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Reply

August 26, 2013 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. SK

Maybe you should look at some real gun facts Piers. Your propoganda has to stop.

August 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. kjkj4342

DRUG TRAFFICKING OF CHILDREN OF NORTH AMERICAN PRESIDENTS:

OBAMA.

BUSH.

BILL CLINTON.

KIRSHNER.

RUSEF.

NICOLAS MATURE.

THE KING OF SPAIN.

ANGELA MERKEL.

THE PRINCE OF ENGLAND.

AB And Josiko NODA.

BAN KI MOON

Ask them DEMAND THAT DIRECTLY 1,000,000 DOLLARS FOR EACH TELOMER DAMAGED.

DRUG TRAFFICKING OF CHILDREN OF NORTH AMERICAN PRESIDENTS:

OBAMA.

BUSH.

BILL CLINTON.

KIRSHNER.

RUSEF.

NICOLAS MATURE.

THE KING OF SPAIN.

ANGELA MERKEL.

THE PRINCE OF ENGLAND.

AB And Josiko NODA.

BAN KI MOON

Ask them DEMAND THAT DIRECTLY 1,000,000 DOLLARS FOR EACH TELOMER DAMAGED.

August 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply