Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

August 27th, 2013

Tonight at 9: Lora DiMaggio speaks out in an exclusive interview

Tonight at 9, tune in to “Piers Morgan Live” for an exclusive interview with Lora DiMaggio, James DiMaggio’s sister. This is her first interview since her brother’s death and and the first look at a different side of the man she knew before he abducted 16-year–old Hannah Anderson and allegedly killed her mother and brother earlier this month.

Last night, Piers Morgan spoke with another long-time friend of James DiMaggio, therapist and CEO of a behavioral health company Andrew Spanswick. Spanswick related the horrific series of events to DiMaggio’s painful childhood:

“Well, I still think it goes back to his childhood trauma.”

Spanswick was referring to the fact that DiMaggio had been emotionally and physically abused and that the abuse may have led to mental instability. Other traumatic life events like Dimaggio’s father’s drug abuse and ultimate suicide were also linked to his actions just before his death.

Earlier this month, Spanswick described the Dimaggio family’s home life:

“When the mother died of cancer, the father became worse. The parents had separated prior to that, and Jim had decided to go with the father, and [his sister] Lora had gone with the mother," Spanswick told Morgan. "Jim was basically abandoned as a child. And after the mother died, it was really up to Jim to take on the father role for Lora."

Check out the clip above for Spanswick's thoughts on James DiMaggio's mental health then join "Piers Morgan Live" at 9 as Lora DiMaggio sits down for her first interview since her brother's death.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. Russ

How can Piers Morgan state tonight that Chemical Weapons never existed in Iraq when pictures and Videos are easy to acess ?

August 27, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Juno

August 27, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wake up

LiveLeak.com – Syria what CNN & Fox won't tell you

August 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Geo

I always thought that there could me be more to that story. That 16 yo is not an aagel as media made us believe.
    I wouldnt be surprised if she is one that killed her mother and the guy just helped her to get away.

August 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

Geo – This is the first time I have EVER commented on a media story. I agree with you regarding your comments, being a 16 year old lends so many confusing feelings. I feel sorry for Hannah, but what a horrible situation for both families.

August 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • jodiariasdiary

August 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Lora DiMaggio is handling herself VERY well...she has been very professional in her responses to Piers' questions. I am impressed despite the horrible situation. My heart goes out to Lora and as a stranger, I support her and her opinions.

August 27, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • responsible citizen

I completely agree. I am impressed with her grace, sensitivity, and the belief in her brother. She was very open to hear and learn about evidences, but until then she wants to believe in what she has known from years. In someway an inspiring relation as a sister..

August 28, 2013 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Libby

Piers, you are doing an excellent job of being sensitive yet not dodging the difficult questions. I feel really bady for Lora but am glad that you are truly engaging her in this discussion.

August 27, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. responsible citizen

I like Piers when he grills gun lobbyists, but I felt it was hard on the grieved sister...

August 28, 2013 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. lee Mass

And Piers, I really hope you choke on the saliva you produce while doing those interviews. You are such a phoney!

August 28, 2013 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. litigation xpert

How any of you can make these comments has me completely blown away! Really?!! Listen to the facts and follow along people... just because you feel bad for Ms. DiMaggio (I feel so bad for her, I really do), you can't place blame on this girl. There has been no information that indicates she did anything that may have led to this tragedy. Quite the contrary. Comments like these:

"Lora DiMaggio is right in every sense of the way! Skylar Neese killers are 16 as well! Hannah Anderson is a LAIR! Hannah Anderson Is Guilty On facebook has many revealing items. I agree with Lora DiMaggion. WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE??"

I am shocked by the ignorance and hope these are comments meant to stir up things here on these comment boards and not what people really believe and worse... say out loud.

August 28, 2013 at 4:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. John Leatham

as was anticipated...my truthful and non-offensive observations regarding PM's interview with LD were censoered by omission...

August 30, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply