Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 16th, 2013

"Piers Morgan Live, Rewind": Ricky Gervais swears, talks gun control, "Crossfire" hosts on arming the blind, Nick Kristof on Putin

Whether you fell asleep early, stayed out too late, or simply want to watch it again, we realize it's not always possible to get your entire "Piers Morgan Live" fix from television. As an answer to this, we offer the below labor of love – "Piers Morgan Live, Rewind" – dedicated and designed to getting you caught up and connected to the conversation.

• Swearing is caring: Piers and Ricky trade curse words

On Friday evening, Piers Morgan welcomed countryman Ricky Gervais for an entirely candid, face to face, sit-down interview, which at one time consisted solely of the two Brits swearing at one another.

Morgan allowed his guest to serve up a joke as offensive as he'd like, which led to Gervais opening with "why does Piers Morgan wear a pink tie."

Asked for the punchline, the man behind the British version of "The Office" proceeded to utter a response so profane that the entire answer was bleeped out.

Laughing hysterically, the host was not to be outdone, as Morgan then noted that he normally ends interviews by telling his guests that their visit has been pleasure. However, in the case of Gervais, Morgan instead opted to share his own collection of curse words, again with the specifics inaudible thanks to CNN's censorship regulations.

Watch the clip for the full – albeit edited – exchange between the two longtime friends.

• Blind gun owners? Morgan and "Crossfire" hosts debate

With the issues of gun control and firearm legislation continuing to divide the nation, a new angle to the argument has injected a fresh serving of passion into an ongoing debate.

With the gun rights of blind Americans having risen to the forefront of the conversation, on Friday evening "Piers Morgan Live" asked "Crossfire" hosts S.E. Cupp and Van Jones to share their specific perspectives.

"You're treating blind people like they're all 100 percent blind. This is a class of people, some of whom wear glasses. Some of whom may be considered legally blind but can still see, and why should they not have the opportunity to defend themselves the way every other American citizen can," asked Cupp, a noted right-wing author and commentator. "In the second amendment it does not say, 'you have the right to bear arms if you can shoot them well.' That is not part of the constitutional, the confines of the constitution."

Falling somewhere in between Morgan, who finds the notion of blind people firing guns to be absurd, and Cupp, Jones sees a reasonable scenario in which certain qualified people, despite be visually impaired, might be reasonable within the appropriate circumstances:

"Look, on first blush it does sound totally preposterous and ridiculous. However, I think what there should be is there should be a standard," said Jones. "If somebody who's been classified blind can meet that standard then I think there's no problem. I don't think we should lower the standard to make it easier."

• Nick Kristof on foreign affairs: Analyzing Putin, Assad, and Obama
  • On the heels of last week's bizarly fascinating op-ed penned by Russian President Vladimir Putin, on Friday Piers Morgan invited Nick Kristof to share his insights and reaction.

"I think the fact that it antagonized so many people, suggests that he over-reached. I mean, you know, when he just exuded hypocrisy when he talks about the importance of avoiding force. This coming from somebody who presided over the death of 200,000 people in Chechnya, and who talks about how God created everyone alike, unless they're gay," explained the columnist for "The New York Times," the very same outlet which ran Putin's piece. "I thought it was authentic. I thought he actually wrote it, because no PR agency in the world would allow him to insult American exceptionalism."

As the civil war continues in Syria, and the perspective role of America is debated, Kristof revealed his opinion of what might be deemed a successful resolution, while also offering an evaluation of the job Barack Obama has done to this point:

"That would be a real win for international security if those chemical weapons were removed. If he [Bashar al-Assad] were deterred from using them again, yes that would be a step forward," he told Piers Morgan. "But, you know, make no mistake. I mean, I'm a fan of President Obama's foreign policy in general, but this has not been his finest hour."

• Gervais on gun control: "Don't let Piers buy a gun"
  • In an effort to kick off the weekend with some lighter fare, while also touching upon current events and the ongoing news cycle, on Friday evening Piers Morgan invited his British mate Ricky Gervais to join him in studio.

On the backdrop of recent news out of Iowa, which centers around blind people applying for, and receiving, gun permits, Morgan asked his guest to respond.

"I learned about this through one of your tweets and I understand you, you thought this was a bad idea," laughed Gervais. "Next, they'll be saying 'blind people shouldn't drive cars,' which is the first thing I thought of. Because I think people have got to see the difference. They were talking about it, as an equality issue: aren't blind people allowed to defend themselves?"

As Morgan shared with his guests the American law which permits the buying and selling of Kinder Eggs – as the snack-toy hybrid represents a choking hazard – Gervais filed an impromptu plea:

"Dear America: Please let Piers buy a Kinder Egg. But, don't let him buy a gun."

For the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
    » Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
    » Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

1. max

Gun free what happen? May be when he shot the gun in his home they could have talk to his family to see if he was ok.but taking guns away will not stop this.

September 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    2. Sayan

I am not a US citizen....I am here to work & complete my work & go back home...But, I really like this country for the amount of natural resources & the quality of life it has. But, strangely people of this country really do not understand the importance of real freedom & life (which they think they do). Currently, I am observing the Piers Morgan show on Gun Control & I am really amazed to hear people still supporting guns to be freely available. You guys really need proper legal controls of who can buy guns & how they can buy it. Unless you guys control the same you cannot control the outcome. We will come back again sitting in a room discussing over a conference call on what to do. It is time to act & modify the legal process. This process would not be 100% full proof but would definitely reduce these incidences.

I really pray for all the individuals & their families who have gone through this trauma today. Please it is your country & you should really think about it before it moves a bit more towards destruction internally.

Hope GOD provides honest decision making capabilities to the politicians

September 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    3. Johnny Almhjell

Dear Mr Morgan, What is it about you Brits ? Why do you want to force your way of life on Americans. Just because your country has decided to dis-arm your "bobbies" does't mean it will work here. We wrote down our right to bear arms
      in a Declaration 237 years ago, when you Brits wanted to take our guns and place us under your rule... and our answer
      is still the same. We sent you all home. Then we saved your un-armed asses in two World Wars, and you still have the wherewithall to force your unwanted opinions on us. Please go home. Just MY opinion. John.

September 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    4. Dean Kooiman

Dear Pierce,
      You feel that it is simple to correlate American gun rights to mass shootings. I disagree, if you look closely at the recent shootings you will discover 2 blatant facts.
      1.) These shootings occurred in "gun free zones"
      2.) These shootings were taken out by individuals with mental issues.
      Let's start out with a bit of my own history. Yes I am a gun toting American. I also served the United States in two theaters of combat.
      (#1) Let me tell you, there was no "gun free zone" in either Afghanistan or Iraq. Everywhere I went I had my trusty M-16 or M-249 strapped to my back. When I say everywhere I mean everywhere, this includes on a secure base, surrounded by guard towers manned 24×7 with fully automatic weapons. To be clear, I faced disciplinary action if I even went to the Latrine without my weapon! Now let's "flip the coin" and look at military installations in the United States, where service members, and vetted civilians, who are trusted with the free world's defense are not allowed to carry a weapon. These patriots are protected only by the outer perimeter which is designed to prevent a direct assault not a covert or internal attack. Why do you think Americans (and Brits) carry weapons on bases in combat theaters, because those service members need to be able to properly react to a hostile situation at a moment's notice. Trust me 5 minutes in a combat situation can seem like hours, and if your unarmed, well your left hoping and praying someone can react in time to save your life. In the military we call it the difference between being a "soft" or "hard" target.
      (#2) This is the conversation America needs to address. This is a touchy issue with me, I am diagnosed with PTSD, so any talk about mental health and gun ownership makes me itch. The bottom line is that if an individual has been diagnosed with a mental illness that will probably lead to violent action should not be allowed to purchase a gun. Laws need to be created, like the laws that prevent individuals from purchasing guns for felons, that prevent individuals from buying guns for others with a "disqualifying mental illness". Like I said, this is a touchy subject for me, I am citizen that receives military disability for a mental illness that makes my blood boil from time to time. I do not want to give up my right to bear arms, at the same time I also do not want to see another "crazy" shoot up another soft target. This is a conversation that I welcome and embrace. This is the conversation that both you and the Media need to push for America.
      Attempting to over legislate a problem will not lead to a solution. Magazine capacity restrictions will not protect anyone, I have seen a marksman drop an empty magazine and reload within half a second, do you truly think that half a second makes much of a difference between one mag with 30 rounds and 2 with 15? Playing devil's advocate here, perhaps that half a second gives the shooter a moment of clarity to actually focus on a target. The same point goes to legislating a "gun type", put any gun into the hands of an individual with time, energy, and malicious intent and the public is in danger. Take away the right to own a gun, and a dissident will learn a technique to inflict pain and damage. Take a look at the insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan, it only takes willpower and determination to orchestrate an attack against any enemy, insurgents use IEDs and Rockets because their targets are armed in armored vehicles. Cowards attacking unarmed civilians can choose any weapon they can get their hands on, just look at the "mass stabbing" in Texas earlier this year. What America truly needs is targeted legislation, backed by statistics and adult conversation to get guns out of the hands of individuals that mean others harm. Any new legislation needs to continue to protect the rights America was founded on.

September 17, 2013 at 1:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
    5. Fon Emmanuel

The American government was trying desperately to control the proliferation of arms from Libya streets after the revolution that ousted Ghadaffi. This was because the number of guns in the hands of Libyans was dangerous to the people as well as to the new government. But this goes against the logic of gun ownership in the US. Why do Americans think more guns on American streets will guarantee more safety but will not be same in any other country? Do American think they know how to control themselves with guns better than others around the world?

September 17, 2013 at 8:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    6. JB

Last night Piers Morgan stated that he knew an AR-15 purchased in Virginia was used in the Navy yard shooting. Today I heard a report on CNN that a shotgun was used and a pistol taken from security personnel during the attack. Which report is correct?

September 17, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    7. Ken

JB, the shooter fired an AR-15 at a Virginia gun shop and then purchased a shotgun that was used in the Navy yard shooting. So Piers was only 100% wrong.

September 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    8. kb

again...or as usual...they are both true statements.
      go home piers!

September 17, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    9. Bradysdad

Wrong again Piers! The only AR near the shooter was probably the one that stopped him.

September 18, 2013 at 12:04 am | Report abuse | Reply