Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

September 17th, 2013

Kay Warren on her son's desire to obtain a gun to commit suicide: "He knew it would end it for him and he was just so determined"

On the heels of the nation's latest mass shooting tragedy, and less than six months since his own son used a firearm to commit suicide, this evening Rick Warren joins "Piers Morgan Live" for a candid and emotional conversation that touches upon mental health and gun legislation.

Appearing in his first interview since 27-year-old Matthew took his own life, tonight Warren is joined by his wife Kay as they reveal the circumstances surrounding their son's securing of a weapon.

"You knew that Matthew had a gun. Where did he get this gun," inquires Piers Morgan, before noting that his guest's son "had mental health issues his whole life."

Still clearly grieving, Kay quickly jumps in:

"Well, he didn't get it legally, that's for sure. The gun laws in California are very strict and they worked," she explains.

As the compelling face to face exclusive continues, Morgan wonders about the late Matthew Warren's firearm hunt:

"Had he tried to do it legally," asks the "Piers Morgan Live" host.

With his guests answering in the affirmative – "Oh, for a long time," says Rick Warren – Morgan moves on to Matthew's intentions:

"And he wanted one, as far as you're aware, for one purpose?"

Sharing unimaginable grief, the Warren's agree their son's desire to purchase a gun was for the sole reason of committing suicide:

"Oh, only one purpose," acknowledges Kay. "Because he knew it would end it for him and he was just so determined that he needed to have that gun."

Matthew Warren's goal was so deliberate and clear, he even went so far as to ask his mother for help:

"He told me everything. And he told me that he had found somebody, finally, on the Internet, who would sell it to him. And it had to be super encrypted, and it had to be, you know, this whole process ... he begged me to help him, because he couldn't figure out the process," reveals Kay Warren. "Here's my son in terrible pain, begging me to help him get a means to end his pain. And it's like my son, I can't do that. I can't ... I can help you live. I will do anything to help you live. I cannot help you take your life."

Watch the above clip as the Warren's add additional insight into their late son's search for a gun with which he'd be able to kill himself. Then, for the entire, hour-long interview with the senior pastor of Saddleback Church – currently the eighth-largest church in the United States – tune in to CNN tonight at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. bert elias

peirs morgan is a idiot there was no ar-15 used,but of course you don't care about that do you as long as your agenda gets placed out there amongst your zombies.

September 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul

While I agree that he is an idiot, he is also a calculated liar.

September 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Rob Kempton
    September 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Carol Bates

I have been listening to the interview with the Warrens – their story is my story. My son took his life 19 years ago at age 29 with a gun after other attempts at suicide.
    I found this in a book about grief –
    "Guests of my life, You came in the early dawn and you in the night. Your name was uttered by the Spring flowers and yours by the showers of rain. You brought the lamp into my house and you brought the lamp. After you had taken your leave I found God's footprints on my floor.
    This brought me some comfort – I hope the Warrens find some comfort in it also.
    Suicide leaves us all devastated and looking for answers to the question of mental illness.

September 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Carol Bates

There is a misquote above – the correct words are "You brought the harp into my house and you brought the lamp."

September 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sylvia

Thank you for having the Warner's on your program. Mental illness is misunderstood. We need new laws to help our family members. Estrangement an epedemic & not being recognized as a tell tail sign of mental health issue.

Please, please don't give up on mental health issues.

September 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Vancy

What a PR job the Warrens did using their sons suicide to portray themselves as tolerant people when in fact his anti gay rhetoric and intolerance cannot be overlooked or softened by his AIDs work in a country intolerant of condom distribution.

September 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

I've known Rick for 30 years and I've never heard any anti gay rhetoric or intolerance from him. I've seen a lot of care compassion and love from him. But since there are countless video hours of Rick speaking and being interviewed, could you link us to just one of these anti gay, intolerant speeches. Thank You

September 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • LISA SHAW

VANCY,
      YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT OF WHAT THE WARRENS STAND FOR AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE AROUND THE WORLD TO HELP WITH THE AIDS EPIDEMIC. AS FOR CONDOMS USE IN RWANDA, WHICH I BELIEVE YOUR REFERING TO, THE GOVERMENT DOES GIVE OUT FREE CONDOMS BUT THE CHURCH'S STILL PREACH ABSTINANCE

September 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. tammymaltby

Powerful...so moving. Oh God give them peace and grace.

September 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. sheri

Piers Morgan, your interview with Rick Warren was your best ever. You were kind, thoughtful and compassionate, and the Warrens are going to become amazing advocates for mental health. Thank you for this tonight and thank you to the Warrens for being faithful, honest and real

September 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rob

Thanks Rick and Kay for sharing with us about Matthew also thanks to CNN for the interview. I know God will use what you say tonight to touch lives.

September 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sabin

Thank you Piers, Kay, Rick & all the CNN staff who made this interview possible. Mental illness needs more awareness. We are seeing more & more people suffering with Border Line Personality Disorder & people suffering from " Injustice Collector Syndrome."

September 17, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Cyndy Salzmann

What a moving interview! Thank you CNN! My younger brother took his life due to mental illness. It was so hard to watch a sweet, creative, compassionate man struggle for so many years and be helpless to intervene. The Warrens make a good point about how family members are shut out of an input on treatment decisions. So painful...

September 18, 2013 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Worldcares

I have a few questions.
    What was the diagnosis of this young man?
    Why was he allowed to live on his own when he asked his Mother for help because he could not understand how to obtain a weapon on the computer?
    That says everything.
    What was this young man doing out on his own, without guardianship, I do not know, or caregivers?
    God gave us common sense.

September 18, 2013 at 1:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ammah

It's very difficult for parents and love ones to take care of there young adults with mental illness. There are laws preventing you to help or be with your child if they don't want you. Please try and understand the first people a mental ill person tries to distance themself from are the parents & closer friends. Them may look fine most of the time and can ealy have few thousand facebook friends. Mental illness is on the rise & so estrangement from parents, this is the new silent epidemic that needs to be addressed.

September 18, 2013 at 8:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ammah

Oops ! It's very difficult for parents and love ones to take care of there young adults with mental illness. There are laws preventing you to help or be with your child if they don't want you. Please try and understand the first people a mental ill person tries to distance themself from are the parents & family. They may look fine most of the time and can have few thousand facebook friends. Mental illness is on the rise & so estrangement from parents & family. This is a big red flag office workers, mental health providers & Facebook friends are not picking up. Estrangement is the silent epidemic that needs to be addressed, this is the telltale signs to mental illness that being ignored.

September 18, 2013 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pamela Hurley

The way that the mental illness laws are written at present. No one can prevent a mentally ill person from living on their own unless they can prove they are a "danger." That's not easy. If the person want to be on their own.

September 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mark G.

My God, do they actually believe he could not have hanged himself with his shoelaces? That a gun caused him to commit suicide? Insanity is sweeping the nation. Is Piers Morgan mentally ill?

September 18, 2013 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. James

Reality of GOD Forgiven sins:

"Christian faith, rooted in the belief that their own sins had been forgiven by Jesus, enabled them to forgive the person who did sin or
    misdeeds to others".

It is true for ever that 'Any one's sins or misdeeds had been forgiven by Jesus only if S/he has realized the very fundamental teaching of
    Jesus Christ: "Who Am I?" and experienced the reality: "I am not the physical body, this body is my temporary home for my own soul (Spirit),
    I am pure Holy Spirit, enlightened soul, and who has been looking/watching/finding his own faults, but not with others around s/he (him)".

This was the teaching Jesus, when He was alive on this planet two thousand thirteen years ago. We lost HIS live teachings, but kept the Biblical references from Jesus Teachings.

James

September 18, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Ines

Thank you for the program –I was just surfing and was very intrigued about the interview . Mr. Morgan i know that you notice like I did the geniune peace that the Warre's have in God and how all this will work out for the good of others . if you did not know God used you to get the message out. Again thank you. Thw Warren's are awesome folks, God bless The Warren's family.

September 18, 2013 at 9:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Reality

Morgan- Take your non-factual sissy tail back to the UK. Leave. Now.
    Cram fish and chips up your rear end, drink tea, and just be entirely wrong out of my country.
    S/F

September 18, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. JOhnO

Piers! You make a laughing stock of a Brit accent. An AR-15 Shotgun??!! Make one and we will all see one for the first time. Emigrate to the US and try to make it into the piece of socialized government you fled to make more bucks and pay less taxes. GO BACK

September 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. JohnO

Piers, In short.... you do not rate high enough to slurp Greg Gutfeld's sloshed martini from the bar.

September 18, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. JOhnO

Mr. Morgan,

WE are deeply interested in using your voice to promote our made for TV products and infomercials. The ability you have displayed to sensationalize the false has piqued our interest. Please reply to http://www.selfimportantfools.com

Regards,
    I.P. Freely

September 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Maritza

Although I have not gone through the same situation, the husband of a close friend commited suicide. It's a horrible situation. The worst part es the unanwering questions. I felt their pain and we should learn from them and others as well. There is hope in the Lord! Pain is part of our lives here on earth. Either we learn from these situations or they will destroy you.

September 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Lucy

We need the medias help to educate the public of Mental health symptoms

Excessive worried & mood swings.
    Feeling sad, crying of feeling down.
    Confused thinking & ability to concentrate
    Changing jobs. Wants to be one thing or the other for 6 months to a year.
    High functional people can have mental illness.
    Mood swings. High & low.
    Withdrawing from most close family members( cut off is more common )
    Injustices collector & always the victim.
    Wrong attachment to wrong people.
    Low self esteem or granger.
    Tired, low energy or problem sleeping.
    Alcohol & drug abuse
    Six drive changes
    Delusional, paranoia or hallucinations
    Major eating habits changes ... Different from family norm
    Estrangement ( silent epidemic)
    Excessive hostility, leading to violence.
    Angry all the time . ( parent, teacher, coworker, govt .... )
    Suicidal

September 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Mister Peebles

Please do not demonize people with Borderline Personality or mental health challenges. Mentally ill individuals are quickly becoming the scapegoat for the pro-gun movement. Of course, some one with an extreme problem should NOT own a firearm: http://www.borderlineblog.com/should-someone-with-borderline-personality-disorder-own-a-gunfirearm.php

Suppose someone was horribly depressed 10 years ago and required an emergency commitment (per order of a court). If they are NOW productive, happy, and healthy, why shouldn't they have a right to defend themselves?

If the right "shall not be infringed", why are we blaming the mentally ill? Right now, it's far better to NOT get help for mental health, else you get flagged by the system and black balled for the rest of your life.

September 18, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. DJ in Fla

Piers Morgan is a Joke!! if he can't talk about the right Gun, a shot gun used at the Navy Yard used which was recommended by Joe Biden the VP to use mind you, instead of an AR15. Aaron Alexis only bought 1 shot gun as Joe Biden recommended and not 3 guns, which were taken from the Officers and not brought in. Mr. Morgan fails to say I am sorry I was wrong on the gun used and let what is now a lie instead of a correction of a mistake upon finding out become his Fact. How do we the Public ever trust his credibility and integrity let alone his ethics. I believe he is no better then the NRA and he is a Paid Talking head for the Anti Gun legislation.... So Piers How much are you being paid above and beyond your CNN Salary by the Anti Gun Coalition? I was all for background checks before but now I need to rethink maybe the Pro Gun anti Background people are right I need to worry less about the background check and need to get a CCW if all I am fed is Propaganda. I think not only will I focus on other news sources Like BBC and Al Jazeera which at least give fair and more honest coverage

September 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. carolebruno

I have battled with manic-depressive (now called bipolar illness) since I was 19. I am now 71. It is clear to me in this season of my life that there is no cure. I have raised two children who now are productive adults. I now have five grandchildren and have contributed to the world with the publication of four books. I almost died three years ago with a ruptured aneurysm. Although I would not take my own life, I know deep in my heart, God wants me to do something with the pain I've learned to bear. I would like to help others if I can.

September 19, 2013 at 2:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lara

As you know mental illness is a life long illness. Unfortunately mental illness people are getting more violent or suicdial in United States than Europe. Dose stresses or overly medicated is playing a role ? This is an issue that needs to be address. Strangely what's not being discussed is estrangement from family that's liked with mental illness. I am sure the Warren family did what they could for there son. Mental health is a large area to cover. I pray the media gives it more coverage.

September 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Carole Bruno

Society as a whole needs to be educated about mental illness. I am sure the Warren's were educated through the process of their son's illness, but one thing they need to know that it was not their fault. I know my mother thought my condition was her fault, and it was hard to convince her otherwise. The issue is not guns as much as certain activists would like you believe. If someone want to commit suicide, they would find a way. We need to understand more about mental illness and abolish the shame attached to it.

September 20, 2013 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. worldcares

I have a 27 year old Autistic son.
    My heart felt thoughts are with the Warrens.

September 19, 2013 at 6:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Free Will

How does this tie in with his "every tragedy is designed BY GOD to bring glory to Himself" theology???

December 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply