Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

October 22nd, 2013

Warren Buffett on cell phones, email, and material goods

On Tuesday evening Piers Morgan opened his New York studio for a very special edition of his primetime program, one that he aptly called "Three Generations of Buffett."

With business tycoon Warren Buffett joined by his son, Howard Graham Buffett, and his grandson Howard Warren Buffett, talk turned to technology, and the "Piers Morgan Live" host encouraged the Buffett patriarch to produce his cell phone.

"This is the one Alexander Graham Bell gave me," joked Buffett, as he revealed a Nokia flip phone, a relic as compared to today's smart phones. "I don't throw anything away until I've had it 20 or 25 years."

Switching from mobile to mail, Morgan asked his guest about the land of InBoxes and Spam.

"I sent one e-mail in my life," revealed Warren Buffett. "I sent it to Jeff Raikes at Microsoft and it ended up in court in Minneapolis, so I am one for one."

Whether its automobiles, phones, computers, or property, Buffett insists against the excessive collection of material goods:

"I have everything I want. I'm happy."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's conversation with the Buffetts, including the tale of Howard Warren Buffett's childhood farm and car loan, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Victor Onyango

I respect Warren Buffett "old is gold" this doesnt apply to his nokia phone even his car "he saves and invest alot"

October 23, 2013 at 12:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Victor Onyango

"save and invest alot"

October 23, 2013 at 12:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Katherine Hillman

What great guys! Such inspirational people and so great to see that they are so close, kind, giving. It's hard to imagine that wealth...so well managed....so wisely passed on to the children. He made them earn it. I wish he was my grandfather. I would be so proud of his inherent dignity and complete lack of arrogance.

October 23, 2013 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sharon Estes

Warren has a heart of Gold, with the gold. That is my heart also, without the gold. Glad there are people like him in this world

October 23, 2013 at 1:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Anna

"Don't marry for money especially if you are already rich" hahaha Buffet is a funny guy. The cell phone
    made us laugh out loud too. A great family.

October 23, 2013 at 2:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Guest

Question Morgan the journalist might have asked of Warren Buffett.

Buffett mentioned the 35 billion spent for purchase of the BNSF railroad. In Laurel, MT, daily, we see hundreds of coal cars on that rail line headed for China. How does Buffett (the philanthropist–for world good) feel when he sees the CNN coverage of the horrendous pollution his coal deliveries are causing in China?

October 23, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ayesha

Dear sir,take my honour. I am a poor Bangladeshi student.I need much money for study,books,exam fees etc.But I have no money.I need much money urgently.please consider this situation.please send me a good amount as your wish. acc.2056101017881

January 19, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mohammad Mujibul Hoque

Dear sir. Take my salam. I am Mohammad Mujibul Hoque. Age 46. Sir i have a small shop but i have'nt capital for this shop. I was many try for without intarest lone, but no body halp me. I am very poor. My mother. brother sister & my wife with child 12 member family. My father and my elder brother is die 12 year ago. Sir help me money for my shop. I must back this money any poor men after my poorles . Sir i dont know english. I dont know how do get help money . Sir i have not bank account. I know i wayst your time. If i mistake pl's forgive me. Thank's. Mohammad Mujibul Hoque .

January 22, 2014 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply